Chances for DO/ School List: cGPA 3.34 sGPA 3.08 no MCAT yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

month4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently graduated from UC with B.S.
cGPA 3.34
sGPA 3.08

Planning to take the MCAT for the first time in May 2017

Work Experience
~700 hours as activities coordinator and office assistant at board-and-care
~400 hours as front office medical assistant at DO/ MD office
~360 hours a lab assistant (did not aid in actual research)
~150 hours+ as medical scribe for MDs, PAs, NPs (current job)

Leadership Experience
-Executive director and Fundraising/Media chair of pre-health organization
-Public relations of Pre-health organization

Volunteer Experience
~300 hours as activities coordinator and office assistant at board-and-care
~250 hours as a hospital volunteer
~120 hours at health fairs, blood pressure screenings, senior home visits
- 1 week medical mission summer 2015

Other ECs
-4 years on club sports team
-4 years in pre-health mentorship program
-2 years in cultural dance organization
-3 months on dance team

Research Experience
-None

• What are my chances of getting into the following DO programs this coming cycle 2017-2018?
    • Western, Touro (CA), NYIT, Touro (NY), Philadelphia College of Osteopathy, U of North Texas, Midwestern, Touro (NV), MWU, AT Still, Rocky Vista , Nova SE, Michigan State (13 schools)
  • Is there anything I should do during the application process to improve these chances besides scoring high on the MCAT (aiming for at least 508)?
  • Would it be too late to take the MCAT mid- May and risk having my app processed in July?
  • I have not yet requested any letters of rec, but plan on asking one of the MDs I work for, my anatomy professor from a CC, and I suppose a professor from UC (I regret not going to office hours so whoever agrees will be a stretch)…
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have almost identical stats to yours! Taking my MCAT very soon and hoping for a high score because that would help a lot. I think maybe you should add some of the newer schools to your list like ACOM, BCOM, and UIWSOM. Might be helpful just in case, and they're more likely to accept someone with our stats. I don't think having your app processed in July is too bad, but I'd apply as early as I possibly can.

As for letters, I highly suggest you shadow a DO and obtain a STRONG letter from him/her. Many DO schools look very favorably upon DO letters, and some even require one. That school specific info is easily found online. Also, for LOR's from professors, I was in the same boat, and had so many professors I didn't have much contact with. I pretty much mass emailed all of my professors (not condoning this hahaha) and got lucky that some responded and agreed to write me strong letters.

Thanks so much for replying! I'll definitely take a look at the newer programs you suggested. Good luck on your MCAT! If I may ask, how have you been preparing for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.5 gpa and 3.41 sgpa with a 500 mcat and I got 8 DO interviews, accepted to 2 then cancelled the rest. Your extracurriculars are great, better than mine were.

Hello, I am applying for the 2018-2019 cycle and am in a similar situation.

~3.4 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA, will take MCAT in May 2018 and aiming for a score above 512.
I also have a lot of volunteer, shadowing, work and some research experience.

I was wondering if you have heard back from any DO schools? :)

Thank you in advanced.

I don't think you need to do anything but focus on killing the MCAT. I wasn't considered complete for most of my DO schools until middle of October and I got an acceptance within a month. Don't rush to take the MCAT just so you can submit early if your score will suffer. I would think you're much better off applying a month later with the stellar score after one try. Awesome MCAT score and awesome secondaries should be your main priorities. Find the secondary prompts early and start working on them so that you can submit your secondaries within a week of receiving them.