Chances of getting into certain masters programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio

cheese steaks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have finally made a decision about what to do after college and it went from applying to medical schools directly to applying for SMPs. I have found some places I would definitely go to including the few schools in the NYC area

Touro
Mt Sinai
New York Medical College

and some in Philly and Jersey. I am not trying to go far from home and so I have like 6-7 places I WILL apply to and maybe a couple in western PA such as LECOM.

The only issue I have is will I get into these programs. I have a lowly 2.6 sci/cumulative GPA which I am trying very hard to bring up with my remaining 2 semesters. I will be taking the MCAT over the summer and applying after. I already have 2 rec letters lined up from my research lab in which I have around 1000 hours experience and possibly one from one of my neuro professors.

Advice?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nope nope nope nope nope

do not take the MCAT yet. you aren't ready

a 2.6 means you aren't done with what you need to do in undergrad

you are in no shape to succeed academically in the harder work to come, and that should scare you silly

when you have multiple full time very successful (ie 3.7+) mostly science undergrad years then you are done with undergrad.

so the next thing you do is
1. figure out how to get A's because that's what you have to do. by which i mean get A's. also: get A's.
2. you may need some time away from school before you can figure out how to do #1.
3. you may need to get creative to get the multiple more years of undergrad you need before you have legitimacy as a med school candidate. such as doing a 2nd bachelors. such as getting an on-campus job

you are way off the reservation with a 2.6 and the responsible adult response to your desire to be a doctor is to talk you out of it. if you won't be talked out of it, then at least be realistic and respect the academics. respect your competition. read read read read read.

best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
nope nope nope nope nope

do not take the MCAT yet. you aren't ready

a 2.6 means you aren't done with what you need to do in undergrad

you are in no shape to succeed academically in the harder work to come, and that should scare you silly

when you have multiple full time very successful (ie 3.7+) mostly science undergrad years then you are done with undergrad.

so the next thing you do is
1. figure out how to get A's because that's what you have to do. by which i mean get A's. also: get A's.
2. you may need some time away from school before you can figure out how to do #1.
3. you may need to get creative to get the multiple more years of undergrad you need before you have legitimacy as a med school candidate. such as doing a 2nd bachelors. such as getting an on-campus job

you are way off the reservation with a 2.6 and the responsible adult response to your desire to be a doctor is to talk you out of it. if you won't be talked out of it, then at least be realistic and respect the academics. respect your competition. read read read read read.

best of luck to you.
I am thinking about taking summer classes for Orgo and gen Chem and will retake other major electives in fall

Go visit your school's learning or education center for help with learning styles, time mgt, test taking strategies, etc.

Hi,

I have finally made a decision about what to do after college and it went from applying to medical schools directly to applying for SMPs. I have found some places I would definitely go to including the few schools in the NYC area

Touro
Mt Sinai
New York Medical College

and some in Philly and Jersey. I am not trying to go far from home and so I have like 6-7 places I WILL apply to and maybe a couple in western PA such as LECOM.

The only issue I have is will I get into these programs. I have a lowly 2.6 sci/cumulative GPA which I am trying very hard to bring up with my remaining 2 semesters. I will be taking the MCAT over the summer and applying after. I already have 2 rec letters lined up from my research lab in which I have around 1000 hours experience and possibly one from one of my neuro professors.

Advice?
thanks