This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Dr. Juice

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to SDN and I am looking for help in regards to my chances of getting into a career changer post-bacc program.

I have one semester left in undergrad and I will be graduating this December, 2020. I am a psychology major at an HBCU with a current cumulative GPA of a 3.43, I have only taken chemistry for science which I received an A in the class and lab. However, I am nervous that this is not a good enough to get into career changer post-bacc programs. My major GPA is a 3.66 though but I am sure that doesn't matter for medical school since its not BCPM. I am willing to work extra hard this last semester to get my GPA up, I am taking 16 credits.

- 100 hrs of shadowing (Derm/Obgyn)
- One medical mission trip to Guatemala with providing health screenings. Aided and assisted in clinic procedures such as suturing, caring for newborns and aiding in delivery procedures during labor. Provided over 1100 people with FREE health services.
- Clinical experience as a nursing unit assistant (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) ... Currently working here. Planning on getting a job as a scribe!
- Clinical experience as a testing site assistant during COVID-19 pandemic, administering free COVID-19 test to uninsured patients.
- Nonclinical volunteer experience as a
- Leadership role as a 2x president of an on campus organization.
- Research experience/ Poster Presentation at a 35th annual conference regarding accessibility to mental health services.
- Deans List
- Sigma Alpha Pi Honor Society
- Partnership with planned parenthood generation action

Any advice on applying to career change post-bacc programs or what programs I may have a good chance with getting accepted to?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
With a 3.43 and your list of ECs there's no reason you need to go to a post-bacc at all. You're also not a career changer since you're just about to graduate from undergrad. Take your prereqs, take the MCAT, and apply to medical school.

With a 3.43 and your list of ECs there's no reason you need to go to a post-bacc at all. You're also not a career changer since you're just about to graduate from undergrad. Take your prereqs, take the MCAT, and apply to medical school.

I guess I am just worried that I won't be able to get the extra support if I decide not to do a post-bacc. Meaning I won't have good MCAT preparation from qualified professors and committee letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
While certain post-baccs will provide you with those things, you can easily get LORs from a DIY post-bacc and it will be much cheaper. You don't need a committee letter; individual letters are enough. Since you already have good grades I don't think MCAT prep will be a problem for you. It's also a good idea to learn how to study independently since much of medical school and your Step exams will be that way.

Hi everyone,

I am new to SDN and I am looking for help in regards to my chances of getting into a career changer post-bacc program.

I have one semester left in undergrad and I will be graduating this December, 2020. I am a psychology major at an HBCU with a current cumulative GPA of a 3.43, I have only taken chemistry for science which I received an A in the class and lab. However, I am nervous that this is not a good enough to get into career changer post-bacc programs. My major GPA is a 3.66 though but I am sure that doesn't matter for medical school since its not BCPM. I am willing to work extra hard this last semester to get my GPA up, I am taking 16 credits.

- 100 hrs of shadowing (Derm/Obgyn)
- One medical mission trip to Guatemala with providing health screenings. Aided and assisted in clinic procedures such as suturing, caring for newborns and aiding in delivery procedures during labor. Provided over 1100 people with FREE health services.
- Clinical experience as a nursing unit assistant (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) ... Currently working here. Planning on getting a job as a scribe!
- Clinical experience as a testing site assistant during COVID-19 pandemic, administering free COVID-19 test to uninsured patients.
- Nonclinical volunteer experience as a
- Leadership role as a 2x president of an on campus organization.
- Research experience/ Poster Presentation at a 35th annual conference regarding accessibility to mental health services.
- Deans List
- Sigma Alpha Pi Honor Society
- Partnership with planned parenthood generation action

Any advice on applying to career change post-bacc programs or what programs I may have a good chance with getting accepted to?

Have you talked to a premed advisor/counselor on campus? Since you haven't graduated yet I think you'd really only need to stay an extra semester or so to get the pre-reqs over with (bio, chem, physics, etc.) No need to do a full on post bacc program if you're still an undergrad right now, I'd just stay the extra semester. Myself for instance, I am a career changer who needs to get into a program because I went to law school and have a legal background and graduated undergrad 5 yrs ago, so you wouldn't "recognized" as a career changer. I hope you get the answers you need soon! Good luck and great job so far!

Have you talked to a premed advisor/counselor on campus? Since you haven't graduated yet I think you'd really only need to stay an extra semester or so to get the pre-reqs over with (bio, chem, physics, etc.) No need to do a full on post bacc program if you're still an undergrad right now, I'd just stay the extra semester. Myself for instance, I am a career changer who needs to get into a program because I went to law school and have a legal background and graduated undergrad 5 yrs ago, so you wouldn't "recognized" as a career changer. I hope you get the answers you need soon! Good luck and great job so far!

They are graduating this semester and have only taken one chem class so it's probably going to take at least three more semesters of coursework to get all the pre reqs completed. Gen chem 2, Organic 1, and organic 2 would take 3 semesters and then maybe another semester for biochem. Taking Bio 1 and 2 and Physics 1 and 2 would also be at least 2 semesters. I'm also assuming OP has started classes already and can't change their schedule.

Also, I think it's a good idea to shadow FM or IM since schools apparently like to see that.

They are graduating this semester and have only taken one chem class so it's probably going to take at least three more semesters of coursework to get all the pre reqs completed. Gen chem 2, Organic 1, and organic 2 would take 3 semesters and then maybe another semester for biochem. Taking Bio 1 and 2 and Physics 1 and 2 would also be at least 2 semesters. I'm also assuming OP has started classes already and can't change their schedule.

Also, I think it's a good idea to shadow FM or IM since schools apparently like to see that.
Yeah i keep forgetting it's 1 yr for each core pre-req.

I guess I am just worried that I won't be able to get the extra support if I decide not to do a post-bacc. Meaning I won't have good MCAT preparation from qualified professors and committee letters.

Mcat prep at postbac programs that offer it usually hire a student from the prior year that is in a gap year to teach the class. Professors typically aren’t involved in test prep.