Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heynan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I understand you guys are probably tired of seeing these kinds of threads but I need some advice. So I'm going into my fourth year of undergrad and am planning on applying to programs next june ( After I graduate) and dont really have the best GPA. My science GPA is a 2.7 and my Cum GPA is a 3.2. My GPA is low due to some personal reasons, my brother passed away during my junior year and It really affected me and my grades. Im looking at my GPA now and I dont see myself really having a chance as far as MD programs. I havent taken the MCAT yet, but I have tons of experience volunteering, CNA experience, and I have three years of leadership positions on orgs at my university. Also, I am a URM ( Black Woman) . Do you guys think I should go for a Masters after I graduate to lift my GPA? or Maybe consider a Carribean medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Retake classes and go DO. Or kill the MCAT (easier said than done) and do am SMP. Under no circumstances should you consider the Carribean

Reactions: 1 user
Since you are entering your 4th year of undergrad concentrate on doing well in your courses in order to raise your GPA. It is important to raise your science GPA above 3.0 . You do not need to take difficult science courses so concentrate on courses where you believe you could receive at least a A-. If both your sGPA and cGPA are above 3.0 and you score above 500 on the MCAT you would be fine for many DO schools. If your MCAT is above 505 you could potentially be competitive for some MD schools also.

Reactions: 1 user