Charles Drew Applicant Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aleyna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you check the status of the Charles Drew application? I found the link for the Applicant Status of UCLA-DGSOM, and I recieved a secondary. Does anyone have a link for Charles Drew?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you check the status of the Charles Drew application? I found the link for the Applicant Status of UCLA-DGSOM, and I recieved a secondary. Does anyone have a link for Charles Drew?

There is no link. You can communicate with them by email. Norma usually responds very promptly.

Is Drew interviewing, yet? I haven't heard much about them, lately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear they are going to start giving interviews now

Yeah, I called recently, and they said that they were sending out invitations to people who were complete in September.

Don't know...darn it, i was complete in Dec.

But your chances of getting an interview is high...apparently they have 1700 people applying and only giave out 300 secondaries...

=)

Hello everyone, I called Drew recently and they said would be interviewing people according to time of completed secondary..so Sept peeps will get it in Jan..and Nov/Dec peeps will get it towards March..They said they will be accepting people all the way into August...

Where did you you get the 300/1700 secondaries numbers from? Just wondering because I got a secondary and would like to know my chances..This school is really one of my top 3 choices!!

I called

1700 applied.
300 secondaries sent out (im sure not all 300 people fill out that monstrous secondary)
150 interviewed :thumbup:
~24+ accepted :thumbdown:

oh ok..thanks man for the stats..seems to be good in a sense..im surprised that only 1700 applied..that seems really low for such a good school..their whole program is basically through UCLA now..wow..well thats better for those who applied..and also..the secondary was one of the hardest i filled out by far..i needed plenty of help and advice on it..

Is anyone else excited about Drew..or is that juss me...

oh ok..thanks man for the stats..seems to be good in a sense..im surprised that only 1700 applied..that seems really low for such a good school..their whole program is basically through UCLA now..wow..well thats better for those who applied..and also..the secondary was one of the hardest i filled out by far..i needed plenty of help and advice on it..

Is anyone else excited about Drew..or is that juss me...

You're not the only one who's excited frat. I know I am especially after seeing those stats. Frat aren't you in Cali? Hit me on pm. If I get an interview maybe we can hookup when I'm out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a word...I completed my secondary in mid December...

When did you call and when did they say they would start sending out invites? Also did they whether the invites were email or snail mail?

I called this week, and like someone has already said, they are sending out invites to people who were complete in September this month, and people who were complete later (like me, late Nov/early Dec) should hear in late Feb./early March. I didn't ask whether or not they come by email or snail mail.

Did anyone else get an email from Drew in mid December saying that they would begin interviewing in Jan.?

Yeah, I got that email too but it seems like there's still no news of interviews happening or any decisions.

:luck:

I never got that email. Does that mean a pre-interview rejection or something? :smuggrin:

when someone gets an interview invite..please inform the group and please give us info..thanks..good luck everyone!

Hey yall!! I love SDN! You guys are SOOO helpful, I was complete at UCLA/Drew in November and started to lose hope. Then I saw this thread and saw that some of you all called the program only to find out they just started sending out interview invites.
Alphaholic06: I saw in another thread where someone said they received an interview invite on January 12th. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Best of luck to everyone! :)

any news yet folks..keep the thread alive!

I was complete in October and ain't heard nuthin yet.

Does anyone know if Drew gives preferential admission to CA residents?

i just heard from them yesterday about an interview in early feb, so they're definitely still sending out invites.

I just got an invitation to interview yesterday-- was given two options, late January or early February. I was complete in September. Does anyone know what's the deal with third and fourth year rotations? where will they be done given the problems with MLK/Drew Medical Center?. Any info. will be appreciated. Also, what is the school's location in LA like? Is it in a high crime area? I've heard about gangs and ethnic conflicts in LA lately. Also, what is it like attending UCLA for an underrepresented minority and living in LA?. General thoughts about the program? Thanks.

I just got an invitation to interview yesterday-- was given two options, late January or early February. I was complete in September. Does anyone know what's the deal with third and fourth year rotations? where will they be done given the problems with MLK/Drew Medical Center?. Any info. will be appreciated. Also, what is the school's location in LA like? Is it in a high crime area? I've heard about gangs and ethnic conflicts in LA lately. Also, what is it like attending UCLA for an underrepresented minority and living in LA?. General thoughts about the program? Thanks.

Congrats +ve!!!! I hope I get some good news from the program in the comming weeks :cool: I'm from the south so I don't know anything about LA. As for those ethnic conflicts- I heard on the news that it is just in one part of LA and they are supposedly bringing in the FBI, so by the time you would go there..I would hope it would be better (it's so sad though). As for the program, I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm sure you read the website but I was drawn to it because of its emphasis on educating physicians to be competent to provide healthcare for the underserved.

Hey +ve im from the LA area and Drew is in a "troubled area" but I mean you should be fine because you will quickly learn how to stay away from all that kinda stuff..ya feel me? And as a underrepresented minority you will be fine because UCLA does a great job at building comfortable environments for minorities..as far as the program..it is really good in my opinion..it offers a unique opportunity to give back to disadvantaged families and to those who have trouble affording healthcare..so yea you are in good shape right now..let us know how the interview goes..i was complete in December so yea i wont be hearing back for sometime since they are on rolling basis..

Thanks Cagedbird and Icecoldalpha06 for your responses...I am looking forward to the interview. It will give me a chance to see the school and its environs, and also get to see LA. Do you know if they'll give us a tour of UCLA too? I'll keep you posted. Take care.

Thanks Cagedbird and Icecoldalpha06 for your responses...I am looking forward to the interview. It will give me a chance to see the school and its environs, and also get to see LA. Do you know if they'll give us a tour of UCLA too? I'll keep you posted. Take care.

Hi +ve! when were you notified? was it via email?

I was notified on Monday, Jan 22 by email.

Hey everyone...I juss received an interview today!!!! I was notified via email and my interview is on Feb 10th (Saturday)...they still are sending out interviews so hang on tight..I was complete in December...Good Luck everyone!!!

Way to go frat. Callis would be proud.

Thanks phrat...Great Jewel H.A Callis would be very proud..but he will be more proud if I am able to gain acceptance God Willing..hang in there tho phrat..im sure your good news is on its way..06

Hi,
I was accepted to VCU last week and I'm ecstatic since I really love the school. But I've just gotten two more interview invites this week: UCLA/Drew Medical Program and Wayne State in Detroit, Michigan. I'm soaked in debt right up to my eyeball from this expensive med school application process and would not want to spend more money flying out to interview at schools I'm not sure I'd give up my VCU acceptance for if I was accepted there. For those with insights on VCU, UCLA/Drew and Wayne, What do you think? should I go to these two interviews or turn them down? What are your opinions [Pros & Cons] of each school. I would really appeciate speedy responses since I have to make a decision fast as to whether to accept the interview offers or not. Thanks.

:)
Hi,
I was accepted to VCU last week and I'm ecstatic since I really love the school. But I've just gotten two more interview invites this week: UCLA/Drew Medical Program and Wayne State in Detroit, Michigan. I'm soaked in debt right up to my eyeball from this expensive med school application process and would not want to spend more money flying out to interview at schools I'm not sure I'd give up my VCU acceptance for if I was accepted there. For those with insights on VCU, UCLA/Drew and Wayne, What do you think? should I go to these two interviews or turn them down? What are your opinions [Pros & Cons] of each school. I would really appeciate speedy responses since I have to make a decision fast as to whether to accept the interview offers or not. Thanks.

Hey +ve...as far as Wayne..i dont know much about that school because I didnt apply there..but as far as Drew..its a great program and it offers a unique opportunity to get a UCLA education as well as a chance to administer aid to underserved communities..so you get the best of both worlds in my opinion..i really love what the school has to offer and the fact that it does a great job in recruiting black folks..as far as cons...people rumor that UCLA Drew students are looked down upon and that the program is goin thru a change of hospitals for MS 3 and 4 students since King Drew lost alot of its departments..but yea...they are juss changing it to UCLA Harbor which is a great hospital..

I too am running thru the same financial difficulties as you..so my advice is this...if you sincerely do not see yourself giving up your VCU acceptance for UCLA Drew then dont waste your money cus you wont get it back and you will need it for med school..but if you are undecided then fly out here and see what Drew has to offer..I have an interview at Howard next week and its killin my pockets so im pretty much done wit out of state schools..unless Morehouse contacts me..but yea..i hope this helps...take care and CONGRATS!!!!!:thumbup: ;)

Hey everyone...I juss received an interview today!!!! I was notified via email and my interview is on Feb 10th (Saturday)...they still are sending out interviews so hang on tight..I was complete in December...Good Luck everyone!!!

Were you given options to interview 1/30 vs. 2/10? Or were you assigned?

Thanks!

:luck: on 2/10 by the way

Hey is anyone interviewing on the 6th of Feb? My initial interview date was the 10th but they called me and scheduled it earlier..anyone else on this boat by any chance??

Has Drew started admitting anyone yet? I'm scheduled to interview down there in Feb...

Hmm, just received a "status update" from Drew:
--
Dear Applicant,

Please accept our apology in updating you regarding the status of your application. Our admissions committee is working diligently to review each candidate’s file. We will send you an update no later than Friday, February 16, 2007.

Should you have questions or require additional information please contact Norma Ngiramolau at [email protected].

Thank you for your patience.

Office of Admissions
Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program
--

So there's Norma's email if ya'll have any questions. I'm not gonna bug them though. Not much point.

Anyone interview at Drew in January? I'm scheduled for this month, just wondering what to expect. :cool:

has anyone heard from drew recently? are they still interviewing?

did anyone hear post interview?

Drew is definately still interviewing..they are goin to interview 120 of their applicants..they got 1800 apps...handed out 300 or so secondaries and are goin to interview 120 from now until April I believe..so yea keep hope alive..and as far as post interview they are goin to tell folks in March i believe...thats what I was last told..so yea..hope this helps..after interviewing at Drew..it was reconfirmed that it is definately my number 1 choice..no doubt..

Anyone know how the process works? Does UCLA's Adcom have any say with the decisions Drew makes?

anyone with acceptances yet? let's keep this thread going!

No acceptances yet..but i would like to ask if anyone who has interviewed thus far knows when Drew will be sending out their decisions? I talked to Norma and she mentioned March at the interview but i may be mistaken...anyone have a definate answer yet??

Oh..and is Drew anyone's top choice? I know its mine fer sure! juss askin..

i was kinda worried about the king/drew hospital situation, but the students/faculty were amazing. def my top choice, too.

i was kinda worried about the king/drew hospital situation, but the students/faculty were amazing. def my top choice, too.

this is how i see the whole hospital situation..instead of King Drew hospital..you juss get to work at UCLA Harbor instead..which is a great hospital..so yea i wouldnt be tooo worried about that situation..

BTW..when did you interview??