Chemical Engineer Non-Trad Applicant (WAMC/Advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C_Prin_Dia

Reaction score
I've been looking around for a while trying to find someone in a situation similar to mine, but I've had no luck. I'm hoping I'm not repeating what anyone else has posted.

I graduated last year (May 2018) with a B.S. in chemical engineering (23 y/o; cGPA: 3.88; URM). I initially went to school with the plan of going to medical school, but I wanted to do chemical engineering as opposed to chemistry in case I changed my mind. I graduated, and I am now working for the government as a process engineer. I don't really enjoy it, but I wanted to give it a try because all I did in undergrad was research (as opposed to internships).

My degree allowed me to take most of the medical school prerequisites, General Chemistry I and II with labs (A's in all four classes), General Physics I and II with labs (A's in all four classes), Calculus I, II, and II (I got A's in all of them), English for two semesters (I got A's), Organic Chemistry I with Lab (I got a B in the lecture and an A in the lab) and Cell and Genetics Biology (my grade was an A). The only classes I haven't taken are general biology, O Chem 2, and biochemistry.

I've been looking into post-bacc programs, but a lot of the ones I've seen either require that I have taken none of the pre-requisites or all of them. I fall into neither of those categories. I've thought of doing a DIY post-bacc, but with my current job and location, the only classes I can take would be at a community college (which I've heard isn't the best option).

I also have not taken the MCAT, but I plan to study and take it once I've taken the prerequisites.

I've been volunteering for about 5 months on Fridays in the Emergency Room at a hospital near me, and I'm working on finding someone to shadow right now.

I guess my question is, what's the best way to go about finishing the additional pre-reqs while getting volunteering and shadowing hours in? I'm able to quit my current job to move to either DC or North Carolina (my family is there), but I'd need a program that would allow me to either take out federal loans or work part-time at least. I'd also like some way to ensure I have health insurance once I quit my current job.

Sorry for the novel, but.... Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish ? Where is your current state of residence ?

Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish ? Where is your current state of residence ?
I'm black. Both of my parents are from Jamaica, but I was born here. Unfortunately, I'm not fluent in Spanish. I currently live in South Carolina.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best option is to do a DIY post-bac, as this will be the cheapest option. Doing a post-bacc program may qualify you for loans but it will cost more in the long run. Do not take them MCAT without taking biochem. There is a ton of biochem on the MCAT.

With your background having high GPA in Chem Eng taking the classes you need (Gen Bio, O Chem 2, and biochemistry), a community college will have little to no impact on your chances. To reiterate @Dr. Faust do not take MCAT until after biochem and without significant prep
Thanks for your response. If I do go to a community college for the remaining prereqs, would I be able to get a letter of recommendation from the professors there? If not, how would I go about that. I know most postbacs come with a committee letter, but if I do the DIY option, I won't get that.

Your best option is to do a DIY post-bac, as this will be the cheapest option. Doing a post-bacc program may qualify you for loans but it will cost more in the long run. Do not take them MCAT without taking biochem. There is a ton of biochem on the MCAT.
Thanks for your response. I do not plan on taking the MCAT without taking biochem first. Do you recommend any prep classes for the MCAT, or would you say self-studying works best? I have last year's Kaplan books, but I'm open to spending more money on better study materials. Also, with my current situation is it completely unrealistic to plan to apply next year (as opposed to 2021) if I can't take biology & biochemistry Spring 2020?

It is better to apply later and ensure you are adequately prepared before applying. You will hemorrhage money during the application process, so doing it once instead of twice is much better. I'm on my second cycle. lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm black. Both of my parents are from Jamaica, but I was born here. Unfortunately, I'm not fluent in Spanish. I currently live in South Carolina.
You can take the remaining prerequisites at the local community college. Then plan to take the MCAT after you have finished those courses. As long as your MCAT is over 500 you could receive interviews at the South Carolina state public MD schools and the HBCU's. Post your score here in the future and we can advise you as to other schools you can apply to.

Reactions: 1 user