**class Of 2013**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what do we send them for classes we are going to take? Is it still a transcript, even though there is no grade? Or something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't send anything. Just enter the classes. They will take your word for it.

Posted via Mobile Device

Awesome! Thanks TT. Then I should totally tell them about my A+s in Super-Advanced Aeronautical Engineering and Really Really Hard Math 101. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
No you still need to send the transcript. But they will take your word that you are going to take the class.

No you still need to send the transcript. But they will take your word that you are going to take the class.
we were on the verge of falling to the second page again, so i thought i would take this opportunity to say how slow AACOMAS is.

AACOMAS is really slow...still waiting to have my application verified...they have had my transcripts since 24 May....hurry up already...

im assuming you guys watched Kung Fu Panda?
i havent seen it...im saving my cash for "wanted" with angelina jolie and morgan freeman.
in other news, how is everyone doing so far? anybody freakout or have panic attacks yet? lol -- damn this is stressful, can't wait till im in somewhere and don't have to sell myself to schools anymore...

i havent seen it...im saving my cash for "wanted" with angelina jolie and morgan freeman.
in other news, how is everyone doing so far? anybody freakout or have panic attacks yet? lol -- damn this is stressful, can't wait till im in somewhere and don't have to sell myself to schools anymore...

well, at least you'll have a 3 year break before you have to start doing it again!!! :laugh:

kung fu panda was worth every penny...less than 8 days for you...that stress is huge...but you will be rewarded soon enough... i am looking forward to seeing your gut feeling 9s across the board...

9s across the board...OR BETTER!!!

Has anyone considered secondaries or started on them? I printed out the prompts from last year and have been organizing my thoughts :)

Yep. I have considered them. :D
I haven't looked into any MD 2ndaries to see if they're available yet. The only DO 2ndary I know of that is available is PCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone considered secondaries or started on them? I printed out the prompts from last year and have been organizing my thoughts :)

edit: found the 2008-2009 secondary application thread :)

Last edited:
do you have to send MCAT scores to AACOMAS or is automatically sent/updated?

Ryser I believe there is an option for it to be automatically sent to them. I may be completely and horribly wrong. Its been known to happen in times past hahah

phew! almost got moved to 2nd page. cant have that happening.

Daily Affirmation, with Stuart Smalley.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'm going to call AACOMAS on this, but wanted to see if it could be answered here too

I submitted to AACOMAS last weekend.

I requested my last transcript today -- however, in the time since submission I've been talked into taking another class during the Fall of 08

When the transcript gets there, it's going that have that additional class listed -- BUT-- I didn't list it on my primary application.

Will they just enter it for me? are they going to kick it back out? should i send another updated transcript? etc?:confused:

I assume they have to understand future plans/classes change.

Thanks!

First of all, what class is it? If its not going to help your chances, don't even mention it... The school you get into will ask for a final transcript to be sent anyways, and I gather you won't know where you're going til January. AACOMAS will probably list it for you, but they might cut off your finger, as they've already claimed all of your money...

I highly doubt one class will make or break an interview spot, so wherever you interview at, they all usually ask you, "Has anything changed from your application?" You can go, "Why, yes...." and explain from there.... not a big deal...

DUDE! I am right there with you! Its almost Zen-like. Where most people go in all nervous, those who go in with the Zen-like mindset of getting a 0, pretty much just float in and hover over their seat, smiling and totally relaxed. I also realize that the writing portion Has to be considered an A just because you are not typing but the computer is reading your mind, almost like Dragon Naturally Speaking...DUDE, I am so there!:D

You guys are going to be great D.O.'s... Especially after you learn the ninja-healing techniques that TexasTriathelete speaks of.

Hey all, I could really use some helpful advice. Here is my situation:

-Graduated in Dec 2007 from undergrad (University of Maryland) with B.S. in Biological Sciences and B.A. in Psychology
-3.1 Cum GPA; 2.74 Sci GPA
-23O MCAT (9B, 8V, 6P) <-2nd time
-Decent ECs (1yr+ research on sleep apnea, volunteering 150+hrs, shadowed DO twice, American Red Cross VP, Resident Assistant for 2 yrs, VP of multicultural fraternity, and plethora of community service)
-Applying to DO schools; Caribbean option is backup
-I applied last year for this yrs cycle (Fall 2008) but was a little late for DO schools (sent primaries in dec, secondaries in feb)
-I am definitely reapplying for FALL 2009 cycle but needed advice before doing so
-I have applied to a couple 1 yr-long DO post-bac programs (PCOM & LECOM) and am still waiting to hear back from them (should be within a week or so)

So, hopefully when I get into one of these post bac programs, I can definitely improve my science GPA and prove to DO schools that I am capable of handling upper level science courses. However, since my science gpa is a 2.74 now and a lot of schools have a science gpa cutoff of 2.75 (to receive a secondary), I would get rejected right off the bat from certain schools even if I apply early. I want to apply as early as possible to increase my chances but was wondering whether I should retake any science classes I received a C in during undergrad? A couple possibilities include retaking Physics II or Animal Bio (both Summer session II classes). Even if I retook them, would it count as affecting my undergrad science gpa even if I graduated already? I want to make sure that the class I take will actually affect my science GPA accordingly.

I have thought about retaking the MCAT again but would prefer not to if I can get in with this score. If I do decide to take it, it would be sometime in August just so I would have enough time to prepare but if I was also taking pre-req science courses, balancing my time would be difficult to achieve both As and a high MCAT score (but not impossible).

If there are any other ideas or suggestions to help improve my application, please let me know. Any advice on this situation would truly be helpful. Thanks!!!

You guys are going to be great D.O.'s... Especially after you learn the ninja-healing techniques that TexasTriathelete speaks of.

:laugh: Totally. and how has everyone's dojo shadowing been going? Master Splinter's been awesome, and I've gotten some great observation experience in The Way of The Pizza.

The scores are out for those who took the May 27th MCAT.

:laugh: Totally. and how has everyone's dojo shadowing been going? Master Splinter's been awesome, and I've gotten some great observation experience in The Way of The Pizza.

The scores are out for those who took the May 27th MCAT.

Master Chifu keeps stealings my dumplings.

Class of 2013 owns...

been out for a while. worth it though because I'm complete (finally) and LOVE my MCAT score. Obviously I'm not verified (just submitted four days ago), but was wondering about how long (characters if possible) secondaries should be? The schools I have applied to have listed their secondaries on their webpages and would like to start writing, I'm just clueless about the length. Any help much needed and appreciated!

Hey guys!

Just wanted to formally post a message to you guys-many of whom will *hopefully* be classmates of mine soon...aiming for the '09 cycle :) I've been reading up on all the messages the past 2 weeks and finally decided to get on here. I don't know about you guys..but waiting is probably the worse part of this whole process. Time cannot go any slower while waiting for secondaries from schools.. !

On the lighter side..I was reading AOL news and can you beleive a man tried to legally change his name to..well I can't really post in on here. Check it out on AOL news if you'd like. Honorable mention includes a family that tried to name their child 4real. Apparently, numbers are not allowed in names. Ha!

Hey all, I found this on page 4! What the heck!

Anywho, as excited as I was to be part of the class of 2013, I wont be joining you all next year. Why you might ask? Back in March of this year I had an injury to my ankle that put me on the slow list. As time progressed the injury wasnt just an ankle sprain rather two tendons were completely ruptured. Having said all that. Let remember that there are drugs involved during this painful injury and that sure as hell didnt help with the studying. When I went in for surgery after they finally ordered the MRI on June 4th. The Ortho doc decided to inform me that while he will tighten up the tendons to keep the foot articulated, he will also have to do a complete calcanial osteotomy, (cut my heel off) move it and then screw it back in. I told him to do whatever it took to make sure I can run again. He said this is our best option.
RfootSurgery.jpg

Now its been six weeks and I get my cast off on Tuesday, if everything looks good. About 4 weeks ago I talked with them about weening me off the oxycodone cause I dont want to become addicted. The doctors PA replied, Oh we dont worry about that till the 3 mos mark. I think informed him that he had be scripting them for 4 mos now prior to surgery and I dont want to be addicted to them. I am not very found of mid-level care providers. He replied, oh, well we can put you through a pain management course in three mos.
Having said all that I have to say this. I was taking a full load this summer for pre-med on top of my MBA coursework. I was taking two classes that were being used to just pad my GPA. I had to drop them to lighten the load. Thus, its going to effect how I do in the upcoming semesters. This fall I have O-chemI and Phys for sci and eng (calc based) both with labs and problem solving sessions. Having looked at my life and the situation I am in I think it would be best to forgoe pushing so hard to get into the 2009 class and prepare for the 2010 class. What do you think?
Some of you on here know just how looped I got from the phone conversations and just depressed I got when trying to come off this crap. I tell you what, never take oxy/perc when you are trying to work on physics or chem equations. They just dont mix.

MAN LIFE SUCKS! THIS IS A HUGE SET BACK FOR ME, AND IT REALLY HURTS. This set back, puts so many other things into motion. 1) Finish my OBC and not take classes for a semester. 2) Go to Iraq, again. 3) Come back and not be ready to attend school for another year. Putting me at the ripe ol age of 40. That brings on a whole nother set of feelings.

Here I am at 40 going to med school. My kids will be at that time 5, and 4. Daddy will be gone studying most of the time. I wont even finish my res till I am 47 assuming the military allows me to match into a residency or puts me in a GMO spot for the remainder of my carreer. To be quite honest, I dont know if its the drugs talking or if I am really ok with being a GMO for my entire career. I want my kids to be stationed in Japan and Spain with me. Along with some rather not so hot spots like GitMo. When I retire I will be at the rip ol age of 60 maybe a little less depending on the time frames and how everything goes.

Because of my extremely hectic and focused schedule I dont have many friends. (by choice) Yet, when I come on here I have gotten to know many of you and how many of you are. You are by in large good people and I believe you will become doctors that will change to course of medicine. I just wish I was going to be in your class. I suppose its time for me to scoot back into the shadows and lurk about the posts and gleen any pearls of wisdom I can.

Best of luck to you all! I am looking forward to hearing your stories as you get accepted and move on into your respective schools.

Best of luck and lots of love,

David

Last edited:
Ocho: When I was your age, I had to walk through 10 miles of snow, uphill both ways, with no legs, to get to my pre-med, MBA, and MCAT prep classes. And I liked it.

I just wanted you to know that you are being a world-class poon, and that we're going to need you to suck it up a little bit and go own this ****.

Just kidding. Good luck man!

Ocho: When I was your age, I had to walk through 10 miles of snow, uphill both ways, with no legs, to get to my pre-med, MBA, and MCAT prep classes. And I liked it.

I just wanted you to know that you are being a world-class poon, and that we're going to need you to suck it up a little bit and go own this ****.

Just kidding. Good luck man!

Thanks Bro, just look at it this way. By the time I am a MS3 or 4 you will be my teacher! hahahahaha...Oh snap thats gonna suck damn it!

well--i just became inspired to move to utah and become your personal motivator to knock out all that is pre-med :cool:
you got a great community here to support you here.
and just remember, you dont have to have all pre-reqs completed before you apply, just have to have em done before matriculation.

PS: take it easy on those pain-killers ;) but not too easy--that heel looks atrocious!

Thanks Bro, just look at it this way. By the time I am a MS3 or 4 you will be my teacher! hahahahaha...Oh snap thats gonna suck damn it!
OCHO...head up man...remember why you are doing this...I can relate to a lot of what you said (minus the excruciatingly painful ankle injury)..I'll be 37 entering med school, not far behind you...but even if you retired at 65, that is still 20 years of serving people who's live will be better off for having known you...it is never too late...my step-father is a soon to be retired physician, who at forty-five had the opportunity to continue his medical training to do psychology (which is his love and passion)...he didn't, and to this day regrets it...okay..regret is probably a strong word, but nonetheless he was inspired to tell me that story when i was down on the fact that i am way late in this process too.

that being said...do what you have to do to get the obstacles behind you...heal yourself...and then get on with impacting the tens of thousands of lives who need your inspiration...

good luck...

MAN LIFE SUCKS! THIS IS A HUGE SET BACK FOR ME, AND IT REALLY HURTS.
We haven't spoken much, but I feel for you after hearing all this. I guess all I can say is follow your goals, man. Make the best out of this life for you and yours and know that there's a bunch of people who haven't even met you online that are cheering for you.

Best of luck, man. You can own this.

OCHO...head up man...remember why you are doing this...I can relate to a lot of what you said (minus the excruciatingly painful ankle injury)..I'll be 37 entering med school, not far behind you...but even if you retired at 65, that is still 20 years of serving people who's live will be better off for having known you...it is never too late...my step-father is a soon to be retired physician, who at forty-five had the opportunity to continue his medical training to do psychology (which is his love and passion)...he didn't, and to this day regrets it...okay..regret is probably a strong word, but nonetheless he was inspired to tell me that story when i was down on the fact that i am way late in this process too.

that being said...do what you have to do to get the obstacles behind you...heal yourself...and then get on with impacting the tens of thousands of lives who need your inspiration...

good luck...

I think another big part of feeling the way I do is the fact that I am older and I want to get started now! So the set backs can feel exponentially greater than what they really are. I am going to keep chugging along, working hard, physically and mentally. Reading these posts and encouraging as many of you along the way. Thanks DOC

We haven't spoken much, but I feel for you after hearing all this. I guess all I can say is follow your goals, man. Make the best out of this life for you and yours and know that there's a bunch of people who haven't even met you online that are cheering for you.

Best of luck, man. You can own this.

Thank you for reminding me that this is a great resource to help one another out. Perhaps, now is the time for me to help others out while I get my stuff together and re-apply next cycle. So WHO wants some help? hahahah

Thanks Matt, and yes I am staying away from the drugs, ok most of them anyway hehhehe.

Dear Class of 2013 posters (slackers),

[youtube]6IpHHtl8gC4[/youtube]

Has anyone had a medical school Freudian slip yet?

This was mine....(conversation with my trainer)

Trainer: So, who is going to train you when you move away to medical school?
Me: I am sure there will be trainers in Athens, it's a big school.
Trainer: So you are going to OUCOM?
Me: What? I haven't interviewed anywhere yet
Trainer: But..you just implied you were going to OU...
Me: um....I have no idea where that came from....

maybe it's a sign!

thank you for resurrecting this thread from the dead! Where has everyone been? busy workin on secondaries probably?

I have only heard word from 3 out of 7 DO schools - TUCOM, LECOM, and DMU. *sigh* I'm getting impatient, I submitted back in early june.

Anyways, I am in mexico right now at a marriot resort and about to golfing....sweeeeeeeet. just thought i'd check in! later class of 13'ers. lets not this thread fall into the SDN abyss ever again.

Do schools notifiy us directly about filling out secondaries? If so, is it through email? I am confused about the process of when we know to start working on them...

Thanks!

Do schools notifiy us directly about filling out secondaries? If so, is it through email? I am confused about the process of when we know to start working on them...

Thanks!

Some by mail, some by email; you can start working on the essays by checking out the 2008-2009 secondaries thread and looking at the prompts, a la CB and others :thumbup:

Hey everyone....been gone for a bit studying for the MCAT....

Anyone else taking it on 8/7? I cant wait to be done with this test!!!! I took PT10 this morning and got a 10P 9V 11B, if only I can pull that on test day!

I hope you are all surviving the application process well. To my Western people, save me a spot ;)

Cheers
Eric

Hey There Western is my top too! I'll save you spot ;)

Hey all, how have ya been?

So I was planning to have both applications (AACOMAS and AMCAS) submitted today, but was only able to turn AMCAS in because of character-limit I didnt see on the AACOMAS. Oops, but that will shortly be fixed and sent in as well. Scary but fun. ^_^ yay Western! Now to preemptively tackle the secondaries.

Woo whoo class of 2013! I thought i'd resurrect this thread from the dead for two important reasons

1) many people are gaining acceptances so are now officially apart of the class of 2013

2) to get this very important message across which I did not want to make a new thread for.....register to vote!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhDRVKDcXQo

Hey everyone....been gone for a bit studying for the MCAT....

Anyone else taking it on 8/7? I cant wait to be done with this test!!!! I took PT10 this morning and got a 10P 9V 11B, if only I can pull that on test day!

I hope you are all surviving the application process well. To my Western people, save me a spot ;)

Cheers
Eric

Since we are resurrecting the thread I am happy to report that I got a 31Q on the MCAT 10P 11VR 10B. :soexcited:

....so that helps.

I'm accepted x 2 so far. So, guess I'm class of 2013. Crappy number. I hate uneven numbers