**class Of 2013**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm applying for Fall 2009 - and I'm wondering when I should send in my primaries - taking the MCAT June 13. Any ideas on when to send in secondaries too?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying for Fall 2009 - and I'm wondering when I should send in my primaries - taking the MCAT June 13. Any ideas on when to send in secondaries too?

its rolling admissions so primaries and secondaries should be sent in as soon as possible.

Just the other day I was about to send out my primary to 15 schools, when I realized I wouldnt have enough money to send in the secondaries. So now I have to go through and break them up into groups, and go from there. This can become one very expensive endeavor. YIKES

Oh well, you have to pay the price for something you want, whether it be blood, sweat, tears or money.

Members don't see this ad :)
you guys are applying to lots of schools.. i was only thinking of applying to the 2 NY schools and maybe Jersey.. should i rethink that? is it that competitive?

Nothing is certain. Apply broadly so you don't get left out.

On the other hand, there was a guy on here this past year (don't remember who) from Ft. Worth who applied only to TCOM and got in. I think his total expense for the cycle was like $50.

you guys are applying to lots of schools.. i was only thinking of applying to the 2 NY schools and maybe Jersey.. should i rethink that? is it that competitive?

3 schools total? Good luck with that... Your stats are decent, but this is still a numbers game. If by "competitive" you mean "self-limiting," then yes, it is. If you have to apply again next year, you'll sing a different tune involving a lot more schools.

I'll be applying to MD as well, but im not holding my breath.. i retook the MCAT on May 27th.. but i might have done worse.. so i dunno..

what other schools should i consider? I'd like to stay in NY, but i dont mind going to jersey, penn, mass, conn, you know.. the states bordering NY. help:confused:

I'll be applying to MD as well, but im not holding my breath.. i retook the MCAT on May 27th.. but i might have done worse.. so i dunno..

what other schools should i consider? I'd like to stay in NY, but i dont mind going to jersey, penn, mass, conn, you know.. the states bordering NY. help:confused:

If geography is your main issue, check out page 7.

Just the other day I was about to send out my primary to 15 schools, when I realized I wouldnt have enough money to send in the secondaries. So now I have to go through and break them up into groups, and go from there. This can become one very expensive endeavor. YIKES

Oh well, you have to pay the price for something you want, whether it be blood, sweat, tears or money.

I feel ya! Have you ever delivered pizzas? You could make enough to pay for the apps in a month or two and not have to delay anything! Also, as my friend Dave Ramsey says, "rice and beans, beans and rice." You'll save a ton at the grocery store! :idea:

do certain DO schools give preference to in-state residents? or are most of them private so it doesnt matter what state you're applying from?

do certain DO schools give preference to in-state residents? or are most of them private so it doesnt matter what state you're applying from?

Public vs. private is a slightly different issue for DO schools than MD. From their websites or the CIB, DMU, LMU, UNE, MSU, OSU, OU, PNWU, PCSOM, and TCOM are all looking for mostly in-state/region students to either fulfill legislative requirements or their own mission.

**I probably left out a few that were in great locations (imo), so I didn't care that they would not be favorable to me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel ya! Have you ever delivered pizzas? You could make enough to pay for the apps in a month or two and not have to delay anything! Also, as my friend Dave Ramsey says, "rice and beans, beans and rice." You'll save a ton at the grocery store! :idea:

You are absolutely right Chocolate Bear...time to break out the starving student weight loss program. hahahaha. thank you for the encouragement.

depends on the school. Most public schools have instate preference. Some private do also. One example is NYCOM, which is private but still has a huge instate preference. Of the six school i mentioned above, i would be shocked if you applied early and didn't get accepted to a couple of those schools.

From my observation, i had the same gpa as you, but a 26 mcat (a 7 on the verbal, same scores on the sciences as you). I was complete in march due to the jan mcat and still got into touro ny and interviewed with nycom, but got wait listed :( due to it being late in the game. If you have a huge preference staying north east, i wouldn't worry about it. You will get into one of those, I would add a couple of school in places you would like to vist. Hey u may interview with western in CA, and realized you love CA.

Hope this helps

yes, thanks guys.. it definitely helps.. i think ill apply to the schools near me, and in addition to the 2 schools in Cali and Florida.. (maybe i can study on the beach :)).. Do they accept OOS applicants?

Doc Henry, ryserr, Ocho.....second page....not acceptable.

Question: Do some secondaries get sent out the moment I hit SUBMIT on my primary or do I have to be verified before I start receiving them? Thanks!

Wow, we really did slack there for a while! I just haven't been in the mood for SDN lately...probably because I know I can't submit for a while, so I have no real questions right now

Doc Henry, ryserr, Ocho.....second page....not acceptable.

Question: Do some secondaries get sent out the moment I hit SUBMIT on my primary or do I have to be verified before I start receiving them? Thanks!

HAHA. i actually checked today to see where the class of 2013 thread was and i saw it was on the first page so i didnt think anymore about it.

in other news, i should be ready to submit my application this weekend! i'm hoping tomorrow but maybe sunday. My transcript was received recently so all i need to do is submit and wait for my MCAT scores!!!

You guys/gals ever wonder how you will feel once you get accepted? For me I think its going to be that feeling you get right when the parachute opens, free falling...then jerked back into reality. Or the feeling you get when you are on a rollercoaster going straight up then all of the sudden it feels like the bottom just fell out from underneath you.

Onto another odd subject...I order some flashcards from Morrison Media for the MCAT and for Middle School Subject exams. There are six flashcards per page. Guess which stack is bigger? You would think the MCAT stack would be thick, its about 2 in thick. Yet, the middle school subject stack is 6 in thick. Can you believe it? Its harder to become a highly qualified middle school special ed teacher than it is to get into med school. What is this world coming to? heehehe

You guys/gals ever wonder how you will feel once you get accepted? For me I think its going to be that feeling you get right when the parachute opens, free falling...then jerked back into reality.

Personally I think it will be the jumping from the plane. Day 1 of classes will be the chute opening!

Personally I think it will be the jumping from the plane. Day 1 of classes will be the chute opening!

Day 2+ will be you slowly descending into the mouth of an active volcano. :laugh:

I just hope I don't get sucked through the jet engine and ground up, like that guy on Die Hard II.

I don't mean that as a metaphor. I mean it literally. That would suck.

how do you make your mdapps page appear below your avatar?

Getting accepted will just be a ton of weight off my shoulders. I'm really not scared to start or any of that crap. I just hate this uncertainty of where I'll be and what I'll be doing next year. This has been a really bad year for me. I've mentioned it before but I'm on funeral number 6 (It WILL be 8 by september), my dad was hospitalized twice, both grandmas are in real bad shape, two of my siblings were fired and one is in a nasty divorce, and then to top it off I missed out on As in 3 courses by hardly anything. A few points in each class. Bah! Oh, and the 100 dollars a week on gas now isn't helping my mood. ;)

In case anyone is paying attention to the WWDC, Apple announced: 10:53 a.m.: Modality is the next company that Apple is showing off. These folks, represented by Dr. S Mark Williams, have developed an application that helps medical students ditch their flash cards and use an iPhone to view anatomical images of the body that are very detailed, down to the arteries and veins, and can quiz students on the various parts of the heart, for example. Within weeks of the App Store launching, they will have about a dozen applications available for various health-care needs. :thumbup:

And I just saw an article about the iPhone's new lower price, so that made me happy. I'm not ready to ditch my other phone yet, but Im going to be saving up for the iPhone starting ... as soon as I get a job (curses the torturous job-hunting universe) Its good to hear that they will have some helpful ... software? Is it still called software if its on a phone?

And Ryserr, hate to tell you this, but with an MCAT of "0" I'm not sure you have that great of a chance of getting in anywhere. Might want to retake. ;)

I'm going to call AACOMAS on this, but wanted to see if it could be answered here too

I submitted to AACOMAS last weekend.

I requested my last transcript today -- however, in the time since submission I've been talked into taking another class during the Fall of 08

When the transcript gets there, it's going that have that additional class listed -- BUT-- I didn't list it on my primary application.

Will they just enter it for me? are they going to kick it back out? should i send another updated transcript? etc?:confused:

I assume they have to understand future plans/classes change.

Thanks!

And I just saw an article about the iPhone's new lower price, so that made me happy. I'm not ready to ditch my other phone yet, but Im going to be saving up for the iPhone starting ... as soon as I get a job (curses the torturous job-hunting universe) Its good to hear that they will have some helpful ... software? Is it still called software if its on a phone?

And Ryserr, hate to tell you this, but with an MCAT of "0" I'm not sure you have that great of a chance of getting in anywhere. Might want to retake. ;)

actually they reserve scores of "0" for the elite of the elite. its more prestigious than a 45. here is why. to get a "0" you have to get every single question incorrect. every single one. if you get even one question right, its no longer a "0" it is just a really reaaaaaaaaally bad MCAT score. the reason a "0" is so prestigious b/c even if you randomly guessed on every question you would get about 25% of the questions right. therefore, you can assume that if you did get a 0%, in actuality you knew every answer, but chose to answer incorrectly on purpose. this will give the score of 0. Its very risky b/c if you get even one question right, you are no longer among the elite and it would have been wiser to just answer the questions correctly and gotten a 44 or 45. do you follow?

actually they reserve scores of "0" for the elite of the elite. its more prestigious than a 45. here is why. to get a "0" you have to get every single question incorrect. every single one. if you get even one question right, its no longer a "0" it is just a really reaaaaaaaaally bad MCAT score. the reason a "0" is so prestigious b/c even if you randomly guessed on every question you would get about 25% of the questions right. therefore, you can assume that if you did get a 0%, in actuality you knew every answer, but chose to answer incorrectly on purpose. this will give the score of 0. Its very risky b/c if you get even one question right, you are no longer among the elite and it would have been wiser to just answer the questions correctly and gotten a 44 or 45. do you follow?

DUDE! I am right there with you! Its almost Zen-like. Where most people go in all nervous, those who go in with the Zen-like mindset of getting a 0, pretty much just float in and hover over their seat, smiling and totally relaxed. I also realize that the writing portion Has to be considered an A just because you are not typing but the computer is reading your mind, almost like Dragon Naturally Speaking...DUDE, I am so there!:D

do u guys kno which site to go to in order to apply to D.O. schools? Is there a common application for all the schools you apply to?

Soooo you and Ocho pretty much just made my day. :laugh: But now that you explain it, it totally makes sense! Why didn't anyone tell me this before? Although, since I don't have your mad MCAT skillz, I probably still would have settled with trying for a mere 45. So what do you get for being a part of the Elite Zero club? Do you get a pin? A secret handshake? An instant top grade in both COMLEX and USMLE?

Soooo you and Ocho pretty much just made my day. :laugh: But now that you explain it, it totally makes sense! Why didn't anyone tell me this before? Although, since I don't have your mad MCAT skillz, I probably still would have settled with trying for a mere 45. So what do you get for being a part of the Elite Zero club? Do you get a pin? A secret handshake? An instant top grade in both COMLEX and USMLE?

that is top secret information. if i told you i'd have to kill you. not only that, i'd be killed for telling a non-member. the only person who managed to figure out the details of the Elite Zero club was Jack Bauer. he threatened to bite my jugular if i didn't tell him everything i knew. i figured since I saw him do that to someoene else on national television, he would have no problem doing it to me. the other members agreed it was the best and only option.

You get to be Dean of Stanford.

Does anyone know off hand which school will NOT send secondaries until they have your MCAT scores?

I know the majority WILL -- but I'm interested in those that WON'T

Thanks!

i am bordering OCD. i am getting closer and closer to being ready to submit... i have read my PS non stop for the last hour. every time i change a word here and a word there! AHHH. i finally had to just close it cuz i would have been reading it all night.

i am bordering OCD. i am getting closer and closer to being ready to submit... i have read my PS non stop for the last hour. every time i change a word here and a word there! AHHH. i finally had to just close it cuz i would have been reading it all night.
I felt the same way -- I even read it AFTER I submitted it.

Even after, my heart raced everytime thinking I was going to find a spelling error, etc.

I finally just came to terms with it and "just put it to bed" like my mom told me to do:)

Does anyone know off hand which school will NOT send secondaries until they have your MCAT scores?

I know the majority WILL -- but I'm interested in those that WON'T

Thanks!
10.gif
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

officially submitted AACOMAS 6/11/08!!!

10.gif
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!
So far (from older posts) the only ones that mentioned requiring MCATs before secondaries were MSUCOM, UNECOM, and NYCOM....not sure whether this is up to date though. Can anyone confirm or deny? Are there any others?

So far (from older posts) the only ones that mentioned requiring MCATs before secondaries were MSUCOM, UNECOM, and NYCOM....not sure whether this is up to date though. Can anyone confirm or deny? Are there any others?
my experience from applying last year is most schools will send or invite secondaries without an MCAT score..That being said, the application is NOT considered complete without the MCAT, so they just sit there until official MCAT scores are in...the only exception to this was PNWU...i did only apply to 6 schools last year, so take my experience with a grain of salt.. when are you planning on taking MCAT...the earlier the better.. i took it in late jan 08, by the time official scores were in, and distributed to the schools, i had already missed deadines for completed applications...so again, early is better...
hope that helps
dp:boom:

Public vs. private is a slightly different issue for DO schools than MD. From their websites or the CIB, DMU, LMU, UNE, MSU, OSU, OU, PNWU, PCSOM, and TCOM are all looking for mostly in-state/region students to either fulfill legislative requirements or their own mission.

**I probably left out a few that were in great locations (imo), so I didn't care that they would not be favorable to me.

Thank you for the CIB!!! - I had the one from like 2 years ago and never looked at the new one - luckily it's mostly the same, but they have some new schools. Anyone applying to those?

Btw, Chocolate Bear, every time I look at your avatar it reminds me of Scrubs, yay! Actually, every time I look at mine, I get reminded of Scrubs too! Yay Scrubs!