**class Of 2013**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thank you for the CIB!!! - I had the one from like 2 years ago and never looked at the new one - luckily it's mostly the same, but they have some new schools. Anyone applying to those?

Btw, Chocolate Bear, every time I look at your avatar it reminds me of Scrubs, yay! Actually, every time I look at mine, I get reminded of Scrubs too! Yay Scrubs!

Yay Scrubs, indeed, Vanilla Bear ;)

BTW have you seen the saltine...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You two need to start a show! called hospital gowns or something along those lines. Oh how about 'Slippers' and its set around internal medicine interns and residents. That would be so cool. I would watch it.:laugh:

hi i have a question, I know that you're allowed to take the mcats only three times a year. I took it once in January and voided it. Then I took it again in april, so does that mean I will only have one more time to take it?? Or since i voided once, would it be like I only took the mcat once so far?

hi i have a question, I know that you're allowed to take the mcats only three times a year. I took it once in January and voided it. Then I took it again in april, so does that mean I will only have one more time to take it?? Or since i voided once, would it be like I only took the mcat once so far?

i'm almost positive the void is as if you were not even there. if that is the case, it won't count towards your 3 per yer. i could be wrong though.

it shouldnt matter tho, take it one more time and knock it out of the park!

Page 14 of the 2008 MCAT Essentials: The AAMC will not report your participation in the test to AMCAS or to non-AMCAS schools if you void your scores. We will, however, regard you as having attended the test and will therefore count the attempt toward one of the three permitted each year.

Page 14 of the 2008 MCAT Essentials: The AAMC will not report your participation in the test to AMCAS or to non-AMCAS schools if you void your scores. We will, however, regard you as having attended the test and will therefore count the attempt toward one of the three permitted each year.

ooooo good catch choco. my advice couldnt have been more off on that one! good to know.

thanks for the help! I wasnt planning on taking it more than three times, but its always more assuring when you know the possiblity exists.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow...ya know, i just realized that there is a very good chance i will end up as a classmate with one of you guys!!
how cool is that ?!
:D

who is shooting for FL, CA, AZ or the GA schools???

wow...ya know, i just realized that there is a very good chance i will end up as a classmate with one of you guys!!
how cool is that ?!

I'd say it's pretty freakin sweet, considering all the cool people around! I'm going for all those places!

HI guys i need your help in two questions Please:

1) I WAS wondering if there is any DO schools that dont accept students out of (their affiliated) state? if yes, could u plzzzzzzzz let me know which ones?

2) also, do i have to mention old MCAT EXAM SCORE that i took a previous year if im planning to take the mCAT again this summer------- in my application. ??

any input would be appreciated.. thankss:confused:

HI guys i need your help in two questions Please:

1) I WAS wondering if there is any DO schools that dont accept students out of (their affiliated) state? if yes, could u plzzzzzzzz let me know which ones?

2) also, do i have to mention old MCAT EXAM SCORE that i took a previous year if im planning to take the mCAT again this summer------- in my application. ??

any input would be appreciated.. thankss:confused:

1) i dont know of any DO schools that flat out do not take applications from OOS applicants. There are some with very high preferences. The ones that come to mind are the one in Oklahoma and PNWU (although PNWU isn't so much a state as it is a region preference (consisting of 5 states))
2) you have to report all MCAT scores when applying.

how cool is that ?!

welcome back MrMattOglesby...
I'll be anyone's classmate....just let me in...

how cool is that ?!

haha...duuude i was just thinking that exact thing as i was driving home from the tennis court. weird. i think its gonna be totally cool. and its different than the allo forum cuz there are so many more people over there. on this forum, you get to know the posters that hang around a lot. i'm excited cuz i can already tell i will enjoy the company of some of my classmates :thumbup:! i was even thinking it might be cool to room up w/ some people from SDN...better than gettin some random dude u've never spoke to before IMO.

how cool is that ?!

I like your second choice od DO schools...Oahu does have a nice ring to it...

Alright everyone...seeking advice for the VR section of the MCAT...I am getting hammered by the online practice MCAT VR sections...What is up??? Any suggestions on how to turn this weakness into a strength???

Doc: do as many practice verbal sections as you can get your hands on. VR is 10 or more free points. You just have to take them. There are no tricks. Just pracice your ass off. Do one every day if you can. Work on getting faster. It will happen. It just takes time, and its boring as ****.

Posted via Mobile Device

Alright everyone...seeking advice for the VR section of the MCAT...I am getting hammered by the online practice MCAT VR sections...What is up??? Any suggestions on how to turn this weakness into a strength???

do you know why you aren't doing well? is it a timing thing? do you get bored w/ the passages?

my biggest problem was that I would try and do every passage in order from first to last. even if i knew it was going to be really boring or really hard. eventually, i started getting good at determining whether or not i liked the passage. within 3 words, i made a decision whether I would like the passsage or not and i either a) skipped it or b) read through and did the questions.

that way, i spent the time on the passages i knew i would do well, and i saved the passaged i knew would be hard to til the very end. that way, if i ran out of time or was crunched for time, i didnt stress b/c i probablvy wouldnt have done well on that passage anyway. you know?

as soon as i did that, i started goin from 7s/8s to consistent 9s. you might try that to see if it works at all? good luck!

do you know why you aren't doing well? is it a timing thing? do you get bored w/ the passages?

my biggest problem was that I would try and do every passage in order from first to last. even if i knew it was going to be really boring or really hard. eventually, i started getting good at determining whether or not i liked the passage. within 3 words, i made a decision whether I would like the passsage or not and i either a) skipped it or b) read through and did the questions.

that way, i spent the time on the passages i knew i would do well, and i saved the passaged i knew would be hard to til the very end. that way, if i ran out of time or was crunched for time, i didnt stress b/c i probablvy wouldnt have done well on that passage anyway. you know?

as soon as i did that, i started goin from 7s/8s to consistent 9s. you might try that to see if it works at all? good luck!

Thanks you guys...I appreciate it..Two months to go, so all is not lost..I will heed both of your recomendations. I think I get bored and I spend too much time on difficult passages, and then am struggling to finish in time...Back to work...

Thanks you guys...I appreciate it..Two months to go, so all is not lost..I will heed both of your recomendations. I think I get bored and I spend too much time on difficult passages, and then am struggling to finish in time...Back to work...

if thats your case, you should seriously try what i said and see how it works. there no use spending extra time on difficult passages... the questions are all worth the same amount of points. might as well spend the most time on the ones you have the best shot at getting right....if you spend too much time trying to figure out the difficult ones, you leave no time to get the ones you would have gotten correct.

if thats your case, you should seriously try what i said and see how it works. there no use spending extra time on difficult passages... the questions are all worth the same amount of points. might as well spend the most time on the ones you have the best shot at getting right....if you spend too much time trying to figure out the difficult ones, you leave no time to get the ones you would have gotten correct.
True dat...I will apply that technique in the am..For now, I am just trying to make it through a 48 hour shif at the ambulance...yeah for dumb people..

when do you take MCAT??? or have you already???

How about an early congrats for the 32R???

HAHA. if i got 32 that would mean i scored at the top of my range on every single section......pretty unlikely. realistically i am expecting 26-28...it depends on how well i did in BS and how poorly I did in PS. they are like polar opposites for me (BS being my strong point). My VR was pretty consistent, and i finished with 2 minutes left on the real deal, which NEVER happened to me on the pracice tests, so im not sure what to expect but hopin for a 9!?

for the writing section, i messed up one essay and dominated the other one so i think it will even out to an average score.

HAHA. if i got 32 that would mean i scored at the top of my range on every single section......pretty unlikely. realistically i am expecting 26-28...it depends on how well i did in BS and how poorly I did in PS. they are like polar opposites for me (BS being my strong point). My VR was pretty consistent, and i finished with 2 minutes left on the real deal, which NEVER happened to me on the pracice tests, so im not sure what to expect but hopin for a 9!?

for the writing section, i messed up one essay and dominated the other one so i think it will even out to an average score.
Alright last question for the night...are you going to commission into the Navy? I am thinking about Army.. Do you know if you could do a military residency in OMM?

Alright last question for the night...are you going to commission into the Navy? I am thinking about Army.. Do you know if you could do a military residency in OMM?

i've thought about Navy/Air Force but in the end decided not to do it. I don't really know too much about the detials tho...just the gist. My dad was in the navy for 23 years. its tough man, especially with a family. i'm not sure about military residency in OMM...sorry!

i've thought about Navy/Air Force but in the end decided not to do it. I don't really know too much about it tho. My dad was in the navy for 23 years. its tough man, especially with a family.
Gotcha...my wife is due July 1st...

Once you get good at it, you won't have any problem finishing all the passages. You really have to learn to focus and drive all other thoughts out of your brain. And you can't get too nervous, or you will choke, and not retain anything you read. You need to make sure that you are just nervous enough that it makes you focus. I think this also comes with practice.

Posted via Mobile Device

Once you get good at it, you won't have any problem finishing all the passages. You really have to learn to focus and drive all other thoughts out of your brain. And you can't get too nervous, or you will choke, and not retain anything you read. You need to make sure that you are just nervous enough that it makes you focus. I think this also comes with practice.

Posted via Mobile Device
thanks for the insight...that's good advice

I would read a lot of critical thinking-type pieces. Like articles in magazines that present an argument or two sides of an argument. Another odd thing I decided to do while studying for the MCAT is I switched my car radio from my normal music stations to NPR or, during commercials, classical music. It helped me to keep thinking of things critically and to keep my head in the game. I honestly believe this helped.

When you read these verbal passages, you have to really focus on understand the very GENERAL arguments made by the writer. They won't always be obvious so sometimes you really have to look for them. The MCAT verbal reasoning section deals very much with inferring things the writer never explicitly says. So you have to make sure you really understand what argument the writer is trying to make. Don't focus on he details too much, just make sure you know what the point of the article is.

I would read a lot of critical thinking-type pieces. Like articles in magazines that present an argument or two sides of an argument. Another odd thing I decided to do while studying for the MCAT is I switched my car radio from my normal music stations to NPR or, during commercials, classical music. It helped me to keep thinking of things critically and to keep my head in the game. I honestly believe this helped.

When you read these verbal passages, you have to really focus on understand the very GENERAL arguments made by the writer. They won't always be obvious so sometimes you really have to look for them. The MCAT verbal reasoning section deals very much with inferring things the writer never explicitly says. So you have to make sure you really understand what argument the writer is trying to make. Don't focus on he details too much, just make sure you know what the point of the article is.

Well said. You have to put in work to get a 12!

dude holy ****/what the F.......

why is AMCAS so much more expensive than AACOMAS? I have one school on my AMCAS and its 160 dollars!!! :eek:

dude holy ****/what the F.......

why is AMCAS so much more expensive than AACOMAS? I have one school on my AMCAS and its 160 dollars!!! :eek:

i thought it was cheaper after the first one.

well guys heres a funny (alittle stupid) story, i worked on my application and finished it and the cumulative GPA that is estimated under course documents (after i listed all my classes i have taken in undergrad) on the AACOMAS application is different then my school transcript overall gpa. Is this normall:laugh:?:D? ANY of you guys know why? what should i do? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED OFCOURSE:D

Another thing i learned that i want to mention is that most DO schools start looking at applications on AUG 1 of this year. Primary Aplications will be autamtically screened by the school thro computer based--- and if you gpa or MCAT falls below the minum reguriment-- u will be rejected. I also know that most DO schools have their computer system set up automatically at 18 to 23 MINUM mcat WITH A 2.6 to 2.7 minum science and 2.9 to 3.0 Overall Minumem gpa----these are their (DO SCHOOLS)stats. i heard that to be looked you need to be better than that. This information is accurate Trust me, my friends told me, and they are in medical school 3rd and 4 th year.

It's $30/school after the first one. Not too bad.

but the first one is 160? that makes no sense

still cheaper for AACOMAS. if you apply to two DO schools and two MD schools its $90 and $190 respectively... for 3 its $120, and $220.... for 4 its $150 and $250....5 its $180 adn $280... and so on. right? or is my math off.

well guys heres a funny (alittle stupid) story, i worked on my application and finished it and the cumulative GPA that is estimated under course documents (after i listed all my classes i have taken in undergrad) on the AACOMAS application is different then my school transcript overall gpa. Is this normall:laugh:?:D? ANY of you guys know why? what should i do? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED OFCOURSE:D

mine is different too, but I have two other schools where I took summer school. so the GPAs are a little different. do you have any other courses from a different school that would throw off your GPA?

also, does your school count +/- as different than solid letter grades? Like A- is 3.7 and B+ is 3.3. If your school just does A 4.0 B 3.0 C 2.0, regardless of +/-, then there is your difference.

my school does count +/-. and i only went to one school, now im really worried. any additional advise ? i will call aacomas and ask them on monday? thanks alot for ur help.

my school does count +/-. and i only went to one school, now im really worried. any additional advise ? i will call aacomas and ask them on monday? thanks alot for ur help.

double check what you entered into AACOMAS. you may have made a mistake and put a - when it should have beena solid grade or somethin like that.

is it a big difference? if its not, thats probably what happend.

i will double check all my grades on my application, but i honestly i dont think i made any mistake. i will double check everything. if i dont find anything wrong i will call aacomas and let them know and see what they have to say.

I wandering if someone does make a mistake on grades and is not aware of it, and lets just say that that person submits the application, does aacomas correct the mistake after he it has been submitted???

Okay, I'm doin my own research, but I thought I'd ask on here as well just in case anyone can save me time!!

NYCOM offers a dual degree DO/MS in Clinical Nutrition. Does anyone know of any other DO school offering this or something like it?? So, far I have been lookin at each individual website and the ones that offer DO/MS offer the MS in something like bioethics or biomedical science or something. I'm looking for Clinical Nutrition like the NYCOM offer. Thanks!!! In the meantime, ill keep exploring websites!

EDIT: i found this pretty useful powerpoint. i'm not sure how old it is. I don't see the DO/MS in clinical nutrition mentioned for NYCOM, but maybe i missed it. It does mention that NYCOM offers a DO/MS degree, just not speifically what kind of MS. Anyways, in case anyone is interested, here it is.

http://www.aacom.org/resources/other/Documents/Dual%20Degree%20Programs%20and%20Other%20Programs%20--%20cfox.ppt#256,1,Dual

Last edited:
I'm a little behind, so allow me to catch up.

I. Good luck to everyone who is taking the MCAT, although I'm late in wishing it :)

II. This scares me because thats when I get my scores too! I want to know, and yet I don't ....
i took it 5/27....get scores in two weeks!!!

III. Yaaaay! Congrats!
Gotcha...my wife is due July 1st...

Last edited: