CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not really seeing much drama except little things within PBL groups. Maybe I'm just oblivious to it.

No, I think that I'm just not used to drama so even the little that I've seen seems pointless.

TurtleLover: A prom? Are they going to hire a bunch of males from the med school to come?

Good luck rileydog! You'll be fine. :)

I think this is directed to me.

Hopefully there'll be some extra-vet school males; there's only eight of us (single guys) in our class. This reminds me of something a recent graduate mentioned during orientation. They used the term "vet school cute" by the end of the program. Equivalent to, "Well...he'll do", because of the shortage. I got a kick out of this.

And rileydog, you're gonna be fine, but I feel the same way.

Members don't see this ad.

we haven't even started orientation yet....ahhhh. We don't start classes until the 20th of Sept and y'all have me all nervous about the drama, etc. Everyone is soooo much younger than me (for the most part). I've already heard about all the pub crawling..... This show just needs to hurry up and get on the road. Glad everyone is enjoying their first few weeks, for the most part.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that the ages in my class range from 21 to 39. I actually haven't noticed much drama going on--but then again, maybe I'm just totally oblivious. I didn't even notice all of the drama in high school!
I couldn't imagine having a prom--there are so few guys. However, our class does plan a Halloween party, which should be interesting. :D

I'm jealous of everyone who's already at school! I leave for London on Friday and I start my pre-sessional next Monday. Nervous, but excited. I really hope it's not drama-filled like your class, luplodw. That really is a bummer.

TT, the dress code is not bad at all!! I wear the same things I would have worn to class anyway but with navy/black/or gray pants instead. Plus all the guys look pretty snazzy. It's so funny that even with a dress code, people find a way to look inappropriate. We have boobs coming out everywhere haha

No, I think that I'm just not used to drama so even the little that I've seen seems pointless.

I think this is directed to me.

Hopefully there'll be some extra-vet school males; there's only eight of us (single guys) in our class. This reminds me of something a recent graduate mentioned during orientation. They used the term "vet school cute" by the end of the program. Equivalent to, "Well...he'll do", because of the shortage. I got a kick out of this.

And rileydog, you're gonna be fine, but I feel the same way.
:smack::smack: Sorry, that's what I get for posting under the influence of a URTI that just won't go away. I've slept about 23 of the last 30 hours, and apparently that wasn't enough.

It's so funny that even with a dress code, people find a way to look inappropriate. We have boobs coming out everywhere haha

Luplodw, I've noticed the same thing here at Auburn. Like rileyroo said, we've already had a "talking" to about it.

hahaha we have too!! I can't believe we have gotten in trouble already. Our class has also been labeled "the complainers." It is quite embarrassing. People feel so entitled to have everything the way they want it! I'm just happy to be in vet school, and I don't want to come across as whiney.

That concept still cracks me up. Also: I didn't know you were a guy.

Just curious if the med students around here do the same thing.
Curious about the med student thing too. From my three friends who are in med school, I would say no, but then, they're not the type of people to go out drinking anyways so it may not be an accurate assessment.

The drinking thing is prominent here too though. Not sure if it's that vet school attracts our type of people, if vet school drives people to drinking, if it's part of the 'high school' mentality, or if it's just more acceptable amongst vet students. Probably a combination there of.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but doesn't getting drunk at a bar wearing shirts that scream "I'm in vet school!" just a little bit unprofessional?
We would probably get a talking to if this happened around here. Our dean/assistant dean seems super strict on proper behavior in and outside of vet school and it's my understanding that vet students have been reported in the past (linked to the vet school through shirts). Drinking with a vet shirt on seems like it's fine. Dissecting out your chicken in a restaurant, not so much. Drinking from palpation gloves would seem like a definite no (at least, in public :D). Sounds fun though.

I heard that the ages in my class range from 21 to 39. I actually haven't noticed much drama going on--but then again, maybe I'm just totally oblivious. I didn't even notice all of the drama in high school!
I couldn't imagine having a prom--there are so few guys. However, our class does plan a Halloween party, which should be interesting. :D

I've heard from somewhere that in the spring the second years put on a "half way to clinics" party...and it is essentially a prom. kill me now.

I've heard from somewhere that in the spring the second years put on a "half way to clinics" party...and it is essentially a prom. kill me now.

It is NOT a prom, and I HATE when I hear classmates refer to it as such. It is a dinner event with dancing, and you can wear nice clothes. But a prom--nope. You don't need a date, the dean will be there, and it is just a time to socialize outside of school. Those who refer to it as "vet school prom" are likely the ones closest to the age that even thinks about a prom. But saying it does not make it so.

Sooo, no crowning of the vet school king and queen?

Well at least the spiked punch won't get taken away again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I havent heard of the term prom since high school. All of the dances in college were called banquets and i hope that if we do have something like that at penn people call it a banquet because prom sounds stupid lol

drama seems to be fine so far, not much going on yet. lots of drinking though, and i do feel behind with classes already. i also feel like i am filling in the gaps of my education. i feel like i was just thrown into lab and all these classes with no background info even though they say it is ok if uve never taken the class before. i spent many hrs today learning embryology and trying to fill in the gaps to these powerpoint slides with more details so i know wtf is going on lol

BTW-drinking at bars does not equal immature. And ive been dancing at bars a ton with my new classmates and almost every time i've been sober. i just like to dance to release my energy, it is a fun way of working out too

Tomorrow there is a labor day cook out at the frat house :)

BTW-drinking at bars does not equal immature. And ive been dancing at bars a ton with my new classmates and almost every time i've been sober. i just like to dance to release my energy, it is a fun way of working out too

maybe i missed this somewhere, but i didn't see anyone say that drinking at bars equals immaturity.

It is NOT a prom, and I HATE when I hear classmates refer to it as such. It is a dinner event with dancing, and you can wear nice clothes. But a prom--nope. You don't need a date, the dean will be there, and it is just a time to socialize outside of school. Those who refer to it as "vet school prom" are likely the ones closest to the age that even thinks about a prom. But saying it does not make it so.

It's officially labelled as the "Asklepian Ball". I've never been to one yet, but the reason I mention it like that is that a graduated vet during orientation referred to as such.

I can understand you're frustration; the word "prom" seems like it reduces the professional program to...well...high school.

Drinking doesn't equal immaturity. But going on a pubcrawl, wearing bright coloured vet t-shirts, screaming at people while they drink out of palpation gloves and then posting the aftermath on FB (I have my mom on FB!) seems like something I'd rather not be involved in, even though most of the class takes part in it by the looks of it. I just wonder where to draw the line. These people are becoming doctors...

Back to you, class of 2014!

Drinking doesn't equal immaturity. But going on a pubcrawl, wearing bright coloured vet t-shirts, screaming at people while they drink out of palpation gloves and then posting the aftermath on FB (I have my mom on FB!) seems like something I'd rather not be involved in, even though most of the class takes part in it by the looks of it. I just wonder where to draw the line. These people are becoming doctors...

Back to you, class of 2014!

so as a doctor you aren't allowed to go out and have fun? while i agree that drinking out of palpation gloves might have been a little over the top, and i respect your choice to not partake in those activities, i think that just because we're going to be 'professionals' doesn't mean we have to always act like we do while we're in classes.

in terms of how things are going, i'm not going to lie, vet school is kicking my ass. the transition from undergrad classes/summer to sitting in class from 8-4 or 5 every day is ridiculously hard and i'm finding it very difficult to then come home and study for a few more hours. hopefully it will get better, though :)

edit: i also wanted to say that here at michigan state, every year the vet fraternity organizes an official CVM bar-crawl after the first anatomy exam. pretty much the entire college (including the professors) go, and they get t-shirts. i think last year the shirts said "some vets can't hold their licker" and had pictures of dogs/cats licking each other. i don't think it's unprofessional...everyone has to relax and have fun *sometimes*

Last edited:
Quick, someone tell the site admin that Nyanko's account has been hacked!

No worries, I've been channeling her essence by voicing my opinion often, which isn't really my style (believe it or not) :laugh: Oh and Nyanko looks totally awesome and professionally pink haired in her official photo, and I look like I ate lead paint as a child and the lead paint won. Thanks for nothing, UCD photographer.

In any case, the UCD kids seem like a good group of people. All the people I've met have been fun and I think we're going to have a great class. I've met a few of the people off of here, but I have to admit that I'm not exactly running around going "SDN!!!!" so I've probably missed some people. Feel free to come up to me and say hi though - I'm the dork in the TOTALLY AWESOME toe shoes!

Last edited:
edit: i also wanted to say that here at michigan state, every year the vet fraternity organizes an official CVM bar-crawl after the first anatomy exam. pretty much the entire college (including the professors) go, and they get t-shirts. i think last year the shirts said "some vets can't hold their licker" and had pictures of dogs/cats licking each other. i don't think it's unprofessional...everyone has to relax and have fun *sometimes*

That's sctually really cute!
I've had drinks with profs before, but once they leave, some of the students achieve a whole new level of partying... actually, a girl passed out on my male professor, threw up on the table and then faceplanted when she got up to leave, and a guy got so drunk we lost him. Our profs spent 45 minutes driving around looking for him... they found him at a grocery store, with his pockets full of pool balls, buying chocolate milk. I was sober enough to enjoy the whole thing and ended up at a bar with a cage. Best bio conference EVER.

Anyway, I'll stop posting here. Keep writing people! I love hearing what you have to say!

they found him at a grocery store, with his pockets full of pool balls, buying chocolate milk.
Wait...what?

Do grocery stores even sell cue balls? Or did he steal them from a bar? The chocolate milk I can understand. Dude just has his priorities straight, but the cue balls...how many balls does one guy need?

Best time of my life? Definitely not. I'm pretty sure I wasn't spending 20 hours a week with a dead dog during the best time of my life.

Crazy awesome connection to my classmates after a week? Nah. Don't get me wrong, I have friends and I like them, but it's been two weeks. Maybe in a year I'll feel that way.

Like vet school? Sometimes. It's like having a job, some things are great and some things suck, although with a job I could go home after 10 hours and have the other 14 hours of the day to myself.

Still want to be a vet? Definitely.

In reference to the conversation above, last year when I posted that I hated vet school (long story see 2013 thread) there were a bunch of people that said that if you want to be a vet you will LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF VET SCHOOL ZOMG and that's just dumb. You should be able to tolerate it but enjoying being a vet and enjoying spending 8 hours a day in class followed by 3-4 hours studying are two different things. Obviously it's great if you do love it, but it's not a requirement. And I guarantee you that the people that love it are expressing that, and the people that are stressed and exhausted and hate it are afraid to say anything. And I bet that there are lot more of the second type of people than you think, so don't think you're alone if you totally hate it.

Oh and I'd be happy to talk to anyone who is really not feeling vet school... I am ok with it this year but I know how it is to feel like you can't talk to anyone.

we haven't even started orientation yet....ahhhh. We don't start classes until the 20th of Sept and y'all have me all nervous about the drama, etc. Everyone is soooo much younger than me (for the most part). I've already heard about all the pub crawling..... This show just needs to hurry up and get on the road. Glad everyone is enjoying their first few weeks, for the most part.

We really haven't had any issues in our class and we're starting week 5! GAH! I can't believe I've been here for over a month now. Maybe it's the fact that we're all from all over going to a foreign country so it makes us a different breed of people? :p

Who you might need to watch out for is Prof Argyle. He can be a real jerk with the things he says. But the things he says will make you laugh so it makes for an entertaining and insulting lecture. Hopefully he won't refer to anyone in your class as a window-licker... :sigh:

3.5 weeks down in the semester, starting our fourth full week tomorrow.

Vet school so far isn't challenging as far as the information itself but in the sheer amount of time that you have to spend on it to absorb it all (or at least, enough to do okay on your exams). We go from 8 am until 3:30 to 5:00 depending on the day, then I usually head home, eat and chill out until 6:30, and study/read/prepare until 10:30. It's tiring, and you get really, really sick of looking at the same stuff over and over.

But it's still a LOT of fun and totally worth it.

Stress-level isn't too high for me at this point. I used to be a high-stress student in early undergrad but somewhere along the way I learned to just study as much as I could, learn as much as I could, and hope that everything falls in place. No tears or wringing of hands needed! I figure I'll do my best and either I'll know it or I won't - no point in freaking out over school work. BUT, there are definitely some very stressed and exhausted people in my class at this point who haven't adopted that mindset, and I anticipate some mental fractures later this semester if they don't learn to chill out a bit.

The most stressful part of the process for me isn't a drive to get great grades, ace everything, be the best, etc. The stess comes from going to class and actively trying to learn as much as possible for 8 hours a day then coming home and actively studying on your own for another 3 to 4 hours. And STILL not knowing everything you're supposed to after all that time and work. It's very draining to work that hard and that long and know that you're still not caught up.

Other than that, school really is fun. I'm starting to find that group of students that I can talk to really easily and joke around with, but everyone in our class is very approachable. No drama or high-school-ness so far and everyone respects everyone else. We're also very supportive of each other's learning; we are constantly receiving class-wide emails from other students with study guides, notes, and websites that we share with each other to supplement our studying. People socialize on weekends, study together, eat lunch together, etc. All good.

Also, I am one of those lucky students juggling a long distance relationship in addition to vet school, and so far with a month under our belt, it's been great. Granted, we were a five-hour drive apart for the past 14 months (as opposed to a flight now), so it's not anything new, but the stress of school hasn't affected us yet. We've been able to work out a schedule of visits that will work great. Basically, I wrote all of my exams and quizzes on a calendar and selected the weekends that I have minimal commitments the following weeks for visits - works out to about every third weekend or so. I've already flown out there once, and he's here this weekend. Which is why I'm up so early on a day off - I've been waking up at 6 or 7, studying for a few hours, then getting the sleeping boy out of bed to start the day. He wasn't supposed to visit this weekend...seeing as I have an anatomy and physiology exam this week...but he didn't want to waste the three-day opportunity. We'll see what happens!

So to all of you LDR peeps out there, have faith. So far, it's been a piece of cake! :) You're so freaking busy with school, you don't even have time to miss each other!

So to all of you LDR peeps out there, have faith. So far, it's been a piece of cake! :) You're so freaking busy with school, you don't even have time to miss each other!

i'm another LDR person and i totally agree...school has kept me so busy and i've been able to adjust to my schedule and focus on studying. the hardest part for my relationship is that my SO doesn't have the same demands and isn't as busy, but so far it has just required a little patience, communication and understanding to make it work.

glad to hear things are going so well for you nittanykitty!

and bunnity, i'm so excited to see that you've returned to vet school this year. i hope this year is better for you than last year! :D

Wow, I go away for the weekend and the thread explodes. ><

To the UTK people, the half-way to clinics SOCIAL is a blast from what I've heard, and is nothing like high school prom except for the dress level (which even then you could get away with something not THAT fancy).

I'm one of those lucky people that even though I maybe don't enjoy sitting in class for anywhere from 6-10 hours a day and then studying until bed, I'm at least happier than I have been in several years and can say that the toughness is worth it to me. My job was a life drain and I'm getting to where I want to be finally!

I agree with what most of NittanyKitty said (although I'm not in a LDR so I can't say anything about that).

As for what bunnity said, I definitely do agree that knowing you want to be a vet doesn't mean you have to enjoy every minute of every day of vet school. After all, taking Anatomy is a lot different than treating live patients. With that being said, however, I will say so far that I, personally, am LOVING it. That's due, in a large part, to my classmates. Class cannot NOT be fun when you have people to laugh and have a good time with. So if you're worried about getting bored and burnt out, having class from 8-5 every day, just remember to try to have fun with it.

Wait...what?

Do grocery stores even sell cue balls? Or did he steal them from a bar? The chocolate milk I can understand. Dude just has his priorities straight, but the cue balls...how many balls does one guy need?

He stole them from the bar. He was so drunk that he didn't remember anything that happened. That's what you get for filling up your free travel mug with vodka and taking it to the banquet with you.

Well I hope everyone checks in with their long distance relationships in about a year. Trust me...it seems doable now... I'd advise you all to talk on the phone (don't text!) or on skype as much as humanly possible. That is the only way to make it work

Well I hope everyone checks in with their long distance relationships in about a year. Trust me...it seems doable now... I'd advise you all to talk on the phone (don't text!) or on skype as much as humanly possible. That is the only way to make it work

*sigh* We broke up two different times in vet school....sooo glad we're staring down the home stretch...it's been a rollercoaster, that's for sure.

Also agree that loving being a vet does NOT equal loving vet school! Particularly (and especially) the social aspects.

And I will say that clinics make it allll worth it--finally feel like I'm almost a doctor. :) Hang in there!

or maybe some of the SO's are moving to where the other one is after this semester or next year.

or MAYBE everyone's relationships are different and there are other things that work when talking on the phone and skype aren't an option. i'm not speaking from my personal situation, but from upper classmen who have been there/done that for longer than 2 months.

not to take this thread on a completely different tangent, but the LDR topic is brought up a lot. some relationships crash and burn while others thrive in this situation b/c having the SO, who isn't in vet school, around is more stressful than balancing a relationship through distance.

everyone handles their relationships different and talking on the phone and on skype is not the guaranteed solution for every relationship...so saying that's the only way to make it work is a little absurd.

/rant. continue on. i hope everyone is enjoying school so far and good luck to those starting after labor day!!!

Last edited:
and bunnity, i'm so excited to see that you've returned to vet school this year. i hope this year is better for you than last year! :D

:thumbup: Same, was hoping you'd get things worked out, bunnity.

No worries, I've been channeling her essence by voicing my opinion often, which isn't really my style (believe it or not) :laugh: Oh and Nyanko looks totally awesome and professionally pink haired in her official photo, and I look like I ate lead paint as a child and the lead paint won. Thanks for nothing, UCD photographer.

I've voiced my opinion, just that I decided that I would go into all of it with an open mind and a good attitude and it's worked out well for me. Trying new things, you know... ;)

And yeah, if the pic they selected for yours was the best one of the pictures he took of you, I really really would love to see the others. :laugh: Mine's alright, other than my exhibition of the fakest smile I've ever seen...

Last edited:
Ah sorry didn't mean to make it seem like it can't work! Just saying that you really have to make an effort straight out of the gate. And yes I did a long distance for more than 2 months so yes I do know what it's like. We were together for 5 years and close to 2 years of that was long distance. We still love each other and talk but it is super duper hard to do the long distance. I wish everyone the best!

Also agree that loving being a vet does NOT equal loving vet school! Particularly (and especially) the social aspects.

And I will say that clinics make it allll worth it--finally feel like I'm almost a doctor. :) Hang in there!

I agree so much with this.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Starting our 3rd week here at CSU. It's not really as hard as I thought it was going to be, just a greater volume of material than you get in undergrad. For me the most difficult thing has been trying to come home and study after being in class from 8-4 but it's definitely doable. Some days we get done at noon though which is pretty awesome. My only complaints so far are that people get to class SO EARLY, you pretty much have to get there at like 7:30-7:45 to be able to get a good seat for an 8:00 class. And also, I have seen people get really upset if someone is in "their" seat which is pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, things are good, our anatomy professor is awesome which makes the 14 hours of anatomy a week a little more bearable. We have already had a few free lunches and such. So all good here, we have a radiology test this week that looks like its going to be pretty easy :)

14 hours of anatomy a week?! That is a lot. So far, we've only had one anatomy lecture, followed by one anatomy lab, per week. And that gets cut into because half the class has their rabies vaccinations during the lab, and end up missing half of it. It's definitely made up for in other courses though. We're usually in from 8:30-4:30 every day, except Wednesdays we're done at 12:30 and get the afternoon off. It seems we're doing very little anatomy, but there's a lot of histology, biochemistry, physiology, embryology starting this week, and animal behaviour.

Speaking of animal behaviour, I love that course so much it's ridiculous. The prof is absolutely amazing, and the labs are the best, since we actually get to go out and learn animal handling. Being able to go outside and get to actually touch animals is a nice change from anatomy or physiology labs.

14 hours of anatomy a week?! That is a lot. So far, we've only had one anatomy lecture, followed by one anatomy lab, per week.

Yeah we have 6 hours of lecture and 8 hours of lab. boo!

Yeah we have 6 hours of lecture and 8 hours of lab. boo!

For anatomy we have 6 hours lecture, 11 hours lab per week. ;) Our anatomy prof rocks - and we are learning a hell of a lot! I don't know how I'm going to remember it all though!! :scared:

we have anatomy lab every morning for 3 hrs and then we have lecture a couple times a week. so i guess it was 15hrs lab+2 hrs lecture last week.

Braki-how do you possibly dissect everything with only 1 lab a week?? do you finish the body after a year? lol we finish our full body in 3 more weeks :scared: and ive been staying in lab longer because we need more time to finish dissecting

We also have a ton of biochem :( even though this week is only 4 days we have 7 hours of biochem! arggg

maybe this should go in the Rant thread?? lol

We are spending from now until late October on limbs. Anatomy is a full year course, so by the end of the year we will have done the whole body. It looks like starting this week, most weeks will have 2 anatomy labs a week, which will push it up to 7 hours of anatomy a week.

Our schedule usually has lectures, anatomy labs, or histology labs in the morning, and then animal behaviour labs, physiology labs, or biochemistry tutorials in the afternoon.

We have 6 hours of anatomy lab and 2 hours of lecture every week. Guess we're just slacking :D

Since we're all comparing, we have 2 hours of anatomy lecture (mostly just a "this is what you'll see and this is the general path of the nerves and arteries" overview) and 8 hours of lab per week. We are working through the dog and cat from August until November then switch to large animal stuff for spring semester. We also have palpation and radiology skills smooshed in there as well, and they are included on the exams. So far, we've spent about two weeks each on the thoracic limb and pelvic limb and will have taken separate exams on each as of this Wednesday. And we definitely have a great number of students in our class working in lab outside of our regular time whether it's catching up with the dissection or just reviewing on their own. This Saturday morning, it was me and about fifteen other students by 9:00 am. Saaaaad.

I don't know how Penn does it all in less than a month - I'd imagine that retention of that stuff would be terrible with such a race to the finish...

I don't know how Penn does it all in less than a month - I'd imagine that retention of that stuff would be terrible with such a race to the finish...

i have no idea either. i dont think it is possible lol but i am going to attempt the impossible

and yea, what is the rush?! our anatomy course doesn't even go the whole year, only 3 quarters. why can't it be the whole year?? no idea. i like anatomy, but i think the way they test is really stupid. and if you screw up the first one, well, that is the whole dog body (except head) so you are REALLY screwed hahaha

Starting our 4th week of classes! Can't believe how fast it has gone by. Its interesting to see the different ways schools handle anatomy. We have between 8-10 hours of anatomy scheduled a week, with most of it in lab. We have finished the bones and muscles of the thoracic limb of the dog and are starting on the joints of the thoracic limb and then the bones of the pelvic limb later in the week.

For our seats, most people went in before class on the first day and put their name at a seat. I have not really seen anybody change seats so far. Not totally happy with the seat I chose, but it seems I have to wait until next year to change it.

Have a final tomorrow morning at 8:00. Will be done with one class (except for an assignment due on the 20th) and starting a new one at 9:00.

Since we're all comparing, we have 2 hours of anatomy lecture (mostly just a "this is what you'll see and this is the general path of the nerves and arteries" overview) and 8 hours of lab per week. We are working through the dog and cat from August until November then switch to large animal stuff for spring semester. We also have palpation and radiology skills smooshed in there as well, and they are included on the exams. So far, we've spent about two weeks each on the thoracic limb and pelvic limb and will have taken separate exams on each as of this Wednesday. And we definitely have a great number of students in our class working in lab outside of our regular time whether it's catching up with the dissection or just reviewing on their own. This Saturday morning, it was me and about fifteen other students by 9:00 am. Saaaaad.

Slight clarification: Penn does not do the WHOLE dog right away. Just the body. We save the "heads" for spring term.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm still really enoying vet school so far. Yes, there are things that suck. Its 11:15 pm and I just got home from studying about a half hour ago. And last week (which is amazing because it feels like it was WEEKS ago) we had one day that I THOUGHT was going to kill me. On the plus side, the following day we ALL looked like zombies and slept through most of our classes - it wasn't just me :p

But in general I feel it is what I expected it to be. Lots of information, lots of time in and out of school spent studying, lots of time with a dead dog wondering if I'll ever get the smell of formaldehyde out of my hair. And in some ways it's even more fun - I've met a bunch of people I enjoy hanging out with and have set up Wine Wednesdays along with setting aside my friday evenings every week to just go out and party.

I survived my first exam, there's only mild drama amongst students and I've managed to not fail, get kicked out or piss anyone off too much. So, for now, life is ok!