Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm having a :D:love::soexcited::highfive::claps::biglove::banana: day :)

Just thought I would share with you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my first 2 Rabies shots....my arm hurt for 3 days afterwards. Prepping to move!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome :)

I still feel like that sometimes (They're going to let ME be a doctor? There must be some mistake).

I thought this was kind of funny when they told us about it during orientation. I was all "psh, we all deserve to be here. We are HERE!"..... Now I spend more time feeling like an imposter than a real vet student! :rolleyes: Listen to what they say in orientation folks. It's ALL TRUE. :smuggrin:

Reactions: 1 user
I am in the class of 2016, but am finishing my first year right now as I am doing the 5 yr program at UCD. So thought I would pop over and say "hi"! :D I tend to check in on the 2015 thread since they are in the same place I am right now.

VMR's first semester courses are

Anatomy I
Physiology I
Medical Biochemistry
Histology
Immunology
Large Animal Husbandry
Ethology
Professional Foundations in Vet Med I

And electives in
Animal Domestication/Gene Res
Descriptive Embryology

(I'm taking both).

We also have mandatory orientation beginning on Aug 20th, which I believe also involves ropes courses and other team-building exercises. ;)

I'm so excited.

Although I half expect to get an e-mail every day that's like "Oops, we ran out of seats aaannddd we're gonna have to retract your admissions offer."

I'm waiting for the campus cinema to post their summer schedule, but I'll definitely be trying to put together some sort of fun get-togethers before orientation!

I'm so jealous of everyone starting in September, argh! Wish we started later on.

I'll be there at least half the summer too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wisconsin's first semester classes are:

Anatomy
Developmental anatomy
Histology
Physiology
Radiology of the cat and dog
Electives (variety)

I could really use a break right now. I'm in the middle of writing my PhD thesis and not defending until July 25th, so life is pretty much going to be crazy until then :eek:. At least I'll be done with my Animal Nutrition class on Monday!

I could really use a break right now. I'm in the middle of writing my PhD thesis and not defending until July 25th, so life is pretty much going to be crazy until then :eek:. At least I'll be done with my Animal Nutrition class on Monday!

Wow thats pretty intense. My last final is on Thursday. After that I am pretty sure my brain is going to take a 3 month siesta not thinking about anything more complicated other then if it is hungry.

so it's been a MASSIVELY LONG TIME since i've posted! so hi everyone, i know i've been MIA for a while! crazy crap going on and so busy with work and stuff...:hello:

anyways, i'm getting super excited and sooooooo nervous for school! this is our class schedule for first semester:
- gross anatomy :scared:
- histology :confused:
- developmental biology
- biochemistry :eek:
- introduction to clinical veterinary medicine :love:
- introduction to wildlife medicine (elective)

already found an apartment about 5 blocks from school with an awesome roommate :) in the process of trying to find some sort of animal to adopt whether a dog or cat :xf:

good luck to everyone else getting ready to start school! :luck:
feels good to be back on SDN :cool:

already found an apartment about 5 blocks from school with an awesome roommate :) in the process of trying to find some sort of animal to adopt whether a dog or cat :xf:

I've been wondering where you've been. Welcome back!

What ended up happening with the blood donor cat... did they find an adopter already? :)

Many of my classmates foster dogs and cats (and I foster bunnies!) so let me know if you want me to email our class list serve if you have a species of choice!

Sunnex wrote up our class schedule, but I fixed her (his?) emoticons :)

- histology :sleep:
- developmental biology :idea:
- biochemistry :love:
- introduction to clinical veterinary medicine :D

Definitely ready to just start classes already! My gap year was great at motivating me to go back to school. Never thought I would miss studying...:laugh:

so it's been a MASSIVELY LONG TIME since i've posted! so hi everyone, i know i've been MIA for a while! crazy crap going on and so busy with work and stuff...:hello:

anyways, i'm getting super excited and sooooooo nervous for school! this is our class schedule for first semester:
- histology :confused:
- developmental biology
- biochemistry :eek:
- introduction to clinical veterinary medicine :love:
- introduction to wildlife medicine (elective)

Interestingly you have ordered your list by difficulty level for me (with anatomy being the hardest and down the list).
By the way, I thought ICVM was pretty lame the first semester. Gets better after that.

I second this. I am terrified that my first glimpse of biochem will be in vet school. :(

They tell you at the beginning of the year that they always look at the data and there is no correlation between your biochem background and how well you do in the class. I never took biochem in undergrad or any other upper level bio and I did really well in the class. Also, it's not really biochem. It's more like 2/3 cell bio, 1/3 endocrinology. And the course organizer is awesome and has the best Russian accent and I only mildly had a crush on her... :love:

Yay! You're back!

I am super excited, but at the same time having slight fears of being inadequate... anyone else having those feelings?
For sure I am feeling inadequate, or rather I'm anticipating how inadequate I'll feel when I meet all of my rock star classmates. Plus, I can't shake the feeling that this isn't really happening, that I didn't really get in....

We also have mandatory orientation beginning on Aug 20th, which I believe also involves ropes courses and other team-building exercises. ;)
Haha, so the whole time I'm reading this thread, I'm thinking "rope courses and team building exercises, I hope VA-MD doesn't make us do anything like that" and then I see your post. I wish I could summon your enthusiasm, but all of that is so not my thing. Or at least it wasn't last time I did anything like it, which was in Girl Scout camp like a hundred years ago. Who knows, maybe I have rope course imposter syndrome :)

OT- funniest syndrome ever: Capgras Syndrome, in which a sufferer who observes a familiar person believes that person to have been replaced by an impostor or supernatural changeling (unless you or someone you know suffers from this, in which case I apologize in advance)

I am ready to finish up my finals and officially become a vet student!
I have never failed a class before, but now that I have vet school on the line I am so worried about failing my finals :scared:
I have 2 today, and then the kicker (developmental) tomorrow.

They tell you at the beginning of the year that they always look at the data and there is no correlation between your biochem background and how well you do in the class. I never took biochem in undergrad or any other upper level bio and I did really well in the class. Also, it's not really biochem. It's more like 2/3 cell bio, 1/3 endocrinology. And the course organizer is awesome and has the best Russian accent and I only mildly had a crush on her... :love:
Agreed. Biochem was one of the classes I enjoyed 1st year.

Really? VMRCVM adcom specifically tells the VT Pre-Vet Club every year to take an intermediate biochem course, because an introductory won't prepare you enough. They seem pretty adamant about incoming students having a good grasp on the subject...

Also, Medical Biochemistry is the first syllabus I've gotten with a full-color schematic on the front. "Glycolysis" about sent me running. ;)

Haha, so the whole time I'm reading this thread, I'm thinking "rope courses and team building exercises, I hope VA-MD doesn't make us do anything like that" and then I see your post.

:D I'm rather looking forward to it. There's a canvas photo in a stairwell of c/o 2015's attempt on a log bridge thingy. Do you think they'll send prints of ours if I ask nicely? ;D

Really? VMRCVM adcom specifically tells the VT Pre-Vet Club every year to take an intermediate biochem course, because an introductory won't prepare you enough. They seem pretty adamant about incoming students having a good grasp on the subject...

Also, Medical Biochemistry is the first syllabus I've gotten with a full-color schematic on the front. "Glycolysis" about sent me running. ;)
Maybe the VMRCVM course doesn't go over the basics and if you haven't already learned them you'd be lost?

:D I'm rather looking forward to it. There's a canvas photo in a stairwell of c/o 2015's attempt on a log bridge thingy. Do you think they'll send prints of ours if I ask nicely? ;D

Penn has no biochemistry pre-req and it gets filled in as needed in Biochem and other classes like Physio (I was addressing sooprnova's comment).

Penn has no biochemistry pre-req and it gets filled in as needed in Biochem and other classes like Physio (I was addressing sooprnova's comment).

Ohh okay. =)

Thanks! That's what I was hoping it would be. I've also heard from people who took biochem in undergrad that they wish they wouldn't have because they had to relearn it in "the Penn way".

Also, someone please tell me Penn's orientation doesn't involve rope courses and trust falls. I'd like to wait at least a week before earning the clumsiest chick in V'16 award.

What ended up happening with the blood donor cat... did they find an adopter already? :)

Many of my classmates foster dogs and cats (and I foster bunnies!) so let me know if you want me to email our class list serve if you have a species of choice!

donor cat is currently in a temporary "foster" situation - she has a rough time travelling (pants in the car) and has a rough time adjusting to new situations so i'm wondering if i should bring her at all since she is settling in well at her new place. i really love her and she is such a prissy sassy kitty that i doubt she'd be able to find a new home after this foster...sort of a dilemma right now!!

Interestingly you have ordered your list by difficulty level for me (with anatomy being the hardest and down the list).
By the way, I thought ICVM was pretty lame the first semester. Gets better after that.
i'm looking forward to ANYTHING clinical. i've been working in the ICU for such a long time now i'm worried about how much i will miss clinical, hands on experience once i start school :( it really is where my heart lies right now, i love emergency medicine so much!

Thanks! That's what I was hoping it would be. I've also heard from people who took biochem in undergrad that they wish they wouldn't have because they had to relearn it in "the Penn way".

Also, someone please tell me Penn's orientation doesn't involve rope courses and trust falls. I'd like to wait at least a week before earning the clumsiest chick in V'16 award.
i might have you beat at being the clumsiest chick...i trip on in invisible things when i'm wearing sneakers pretty much daily :rolleyes:

Sunnex it's been forever! So glad you're back! :love:

Sunnex it's been forever! So glad you're back! :love:

hehehe it has been quite a while hasn't it? glad to be back :) hopefully i haven't missed much in the SDN world? it's been quite a busy few months for me.

hehehe it has been quite a while hasn't it? glad to be back :) hopefully i haven't missed much in the SDN world? it's been quite a busy few months for me.

I was WONDERING where you've disappeared to just the other day!!!! Yay!

i'm looking forward to ANYTHING clinical. i've been working in the ICU for such a long time now i'm worried about how much i will miss clinical, hands on experience once i start school :( it really is where my heart lies right now, i love emergency medicine so much!
There is nothing clincal about ICVM I. Sorry. Don't get your hopes up. You will not step into the hospital.

There is nothing clincal about ICVM I. Sorry. Don't get your hopes up. You will not step into the hospital.

thanks for squashing my hopes :p

btw....any suggestions for how to keep up with clinical experience? don't want to fall behind in that.....perhaps volunteering with pspca? are there any opportunities in the hospital at all?

and anyone who thinks that this discussion should be moved to the penn 2016 thread let me know and i will gladly move it :)

Glad to hear the donor kitty will have a good home either way :)

No ropes courses for Penn!

There will be tons of opportunities to work and volunteer clinically that you will lament the lack of time much more than the lack of opportunity. PSPCA, ACCT, and PAWS all have volunteering opportunities for Penn students.

thanks for squashing my hopes :p

btw....any suggestions for how to keep up with clinical experience? don't want to fall behind in that.....perhaps volunteering with pspca? are there any opportunities in the hospital at all?

and anyone who thinks that this discussion should be moved to the penn 2016 thread let me know and i will gladly move it :)
I am probably the wrong person to ask....

You can certainly volunteer at pspca... Shelter med program/surgical opportunities has a great program doing spay/neuter of cats at PAWS where you get hands on experience.

Lots of wet labs. You can also work or volunteer at hospital.
And lots of people work during the summers to apply their new knowledge! bbbbbb

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it at first.

OT- funniest syndrome ever: Capgras Syndrome, in which a sufferer who observes a familiar person believes that person to have been replaced by an impostor or supernatural changeling (unless you or someone you know suffers from this, in which case I apologize in advance)

We have a client that I believe suffers from this. She insists that we keep dogs in the back and "change out" her dog with one of these "imposter dogs" that we have hanging out in the back of the clinic. :confused:

I think my boyfriend's grandma had this. She thought that aliens had taken my boyfriend and put a replacement on Earth. But she LOVED aliens so she didn't think it was a bad thing. She was obsessed with alien conspiracies, and she believed that aliens had abducted her in the middle of the night and showed her their ship. If you dared to say anything against her conspiracies you got an earful and she'd be really mad at you :rolleyes:

Last edited:
She thought that aliens had taken my boyfriend and put a replacement on Earth. But she LOVED aliens so she didn't think it was a bad thing.

That sounds like the setup for a really interesting sitcom.

Also more power to her. Aliens creep me out. I start watching those alien shows on History and I've doomed myself to a terrified night of staying-upness.

That sounds like the setup for a really interesting sitcom.

Also more power to her. Aliens creep me out. I start watching those alien shows on History and I've doomed myself to a terrified night of staying-upness.

I don't know if I have a specific thing that creeps me out. For my husband, it's ghosts... for me, I dunno. Obviously, something like uh, I dunno, seeing someone looking in through my windows at night would definitely do the trick, but it's not something I'll lose sleep thinking about.

Man, if you want me to not sleep, have a recluse on my pillow or something - I'll flip out at every little prickle or itch or whatever after that. Or have the creepy little F get away... yep, not even going to bed.

We have a client that I believe suffers from this. She insists that we keep dogs in the back and "change out" her dog with one of these "imposter dogs" that we have hanging out in the back of the clinic. :confused:

I think my boyfriend's grandma had this. She thought that aliens had taken my boyfriend and put a replacement on Earth. But she LOVED aliens so she didn't think it was a bad thing. She was obsessed with alien conspiracies, and she believed that aliens had abducted her in the middle of the night and showed her their ship. If you dared to say anything against her conspiracies you got an earful and she'd be really mad at you :rolleyes:

Funnier than the idea of this syndrome is y'all actually knowing people with it:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Especially the imposter dog lady, hilarious!

Yay!! I just saw you're back my snuggle buddy, I mean, Sunnex!!!:oops: I've been wondering about you! We've missed you :love:.