Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man, if you want me to not sleep, have a recluse on my pillow or something - I'll flip out at every little prickle or itch or whatever after that. Or have the creepy little F get away... yep, not even going to bed.

Omg. Ooommmggg. Aughhh. Yes. It's true.

I found a Silverfish on my wall once and every time I snagged a piece of lint on my (admittedly neglected) leg hair I FREAKED.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do bugs, especially cockroaches. Had a very bad experience with bed bugs and now if I get bit overnight I don't want to sleep in the same bed.

Don't do bugs, especially cockroaches. Had a very bad experience with bed bugs and now if I get bit overnight I don't want to sleep in the same bed.

Awww. Madagascar hissing cockroaches are kind of cute. I had two my senior year for a class. My first one, Milford, developed a fungal infection so you would occasionally catch me giving him a bath at the kitchen sink. When he died (which my professor said he would- the baths had a chance of helping but not much) I got a 2nd one, Millie. She ended up getting 2nd place in the long distance race! I was so proud of her. She would have gotten first if she hadn't stopped to clean herself. She didn't even finish the short course races because she was too busy eating the paint of the other cockroaches' backs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awww. Madagascar hissing cockroaches are kind of cute. I had two my senior year for a class. My first one, Milford, developed a fungal infection so you would occasionally catch me giving him a bath at the kitchen sink. When he died (which my professor said he would- the baths had a chance of helping but not much) I got a 2nd one, Millie. She ended up getting 2nd place in the long distance race! I was so proud of her. She would have gotten first if she hadn't stopped to clean herself. She didn't even finish the short course races because she was too busy eating the paint of the other cockroaches' backs.

I really like madagascar hissing cockroaches, too! They don't scurry like normal roaches, so they're good in my book.

You're making a bug sound endearing

This doesn't mesh well in my book. Are hissing cockroaches really that much cuter than the others? You made it sound like a hamster!!

You're making a bug sound endearing

This doesn't mesh well in my book. Are hissing cockroaches really that much cuter than the others? You made it sound like a hamster!!

I mean... cute might be a stretch:
gigantism-madagascar-hissing-cockroach.jpg

But they've got personality.

Gotta say. Got the heeby jeebiez.

But to each his own. What do they eat?

Just looking at the picture made me shake a bit. I prefer other animals that many people think are gross (not anyone here I think), which are rats.

:love:

Just looking at the picture made me shake a bit. I prefer other animals that many people think are gross (not anyone here I think), which are rats.

:love:

LOOOOVE rats. :love::love:

I mean... cute might be a stretch:
gigantism-madagascar-hissing-cockroach.jpg

But they've got personality.

If that bug was on me I would flip my lid :scared:

I hate bugs except like ladybugs - they scare the crap out of me - total irrational fear.

I had fleas once, it was really gross. I was down in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina breaking into houses and getting animals out that were left behind. When you go into a house where all of the animals are dead the fleas jump to the next living thing - the human. I walked out of one house covered from head to toe in fleas. And those mofos are hard to kill - you can't squish them. I tried to dose myself in bug repellent which got some of them. But they were not all gone until I could get back to base camp and shower later that evening. Every once in awhile I would see one jump across my arm during the day. :barf:

:laugh:

If that bug was on me I would flip my lid :scared:

I hate bugs except like ladybugs - they scare the crap out of me - total irrational fear.

I had fleas once, it was really gross. I was down in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina breaking into houses and getting animals out that were left behind. When you go into a house where all of the animals are dead the fleas jump to the next living thing - the human. I walked out of one house covered from head to toe in fleas. And those mofos are hard to kill - you can't squish them. I tried to dose myself in bug repellent which got some of them. But they were not all gone until I could get back to base camp and shower later that evening. Every once in awhile I would see one jump across my arm during the day. :barf:

:laugh:

I'm right there with you Devyn. Bugs creep my the f out. Ants especially. I have a HUGE fear of ant infestations and them crawling into my you know where. Totally irrational, but ohh god bugs give me the skivvies

Members don't see this ad :)
I like ladybugs (though they bit my dad as a kid) and praying mantises. And bees are okay, but not wasps. Most other bugs I hate, especially the red-brown ones. I also have an irrational fear of moths. I can't sleep if there's on in my room.

Gotta say. Got the heeby jeebiez.

But to each his own. What do they eat?

I fed mine a lot of fruit and veggies. Millie seemed to be a big fan of squash, carrots and also the pellets we gave to the mice/rats. I forget who told me to try that, but she went to town on it, so I kept borrowing some from the small animal room.

I fed mine a lot of fruit and veggies. Millie seemed to be a big fan of squash, carrots and also the pellets we gave to the mice/rats. I forget who told me to try that, but she went to town on it, so I kept borrowing some from the small animal room.

Now im thinking a bunny.

Or a mouse with an exoskeleton.

How did this thread get derailed? Lol.

centipede300.jpg

Is there anything more disgusting in this world.

Are they even FROM this world. I mean seriously. Look at them.

centipede300.jpg

Is there anything more disgusting in this world.

Are they even FROM this world. I mean seriously. Look at them.

Okay. Things like that freak me the eff out. I'm terrified of your garden centipede things that come out of now where and just appear on your ceiling when you're ready to go to bed. And then proceed to fall on your bed sending you into a screaming fit.

See Rant thread for full story.

Okay. Things like that freak me the eff out. I'm terrified of your garden centipede things that come out of now where and just appear on your ceiling when you're ready to go to bed. And then proceed to fall on your bed sending you into a screaming fit.

See Rant thread for full story.

Jesus lord, you poor dear.

If one of those ever fell in to bed with me I don't think I would ever sleep for the rest of my life, and I'm wholly positive that is not an exaggeration.

I would have to be locked away somewhere.

Spiders freak me out and I'm not a huge fan of maggots, although I think waxworms are kinda cute because they're like a big fuzzy maggot :laugh:.

I was scared of maggots until I minored in medical and veterinary entomology. Got over that one pretty fast lol.

Maggots (and most other creepy crawlies) creep me out! The entomology of vet med scares me.

At the clinic last week, a woman brought in a stool sample which had "worms" in it. We expected roundworms, or something of that nature, but NO! Poop covered in maggots! Even the doctor was grossed out (but still professional, love her!) but we totally processed the sample as normal, just squeamish the entire time.

Note to self: Learn how to be professional around bugs.

Maggots (and most other creepy crawlies) creep me out! The entomology of vet med scares me.

At the clinic last week, a woman brought in a stool sample which had "worms" in it. We expected roundworms, or something of that nature, but NO! Poop covered in maggots! Even the doctor was grossed out (but still professional, love her!) but we totally processed the sample as normal, just squeamish the entire time.

Note to self: Learn how to be professional around bugs.

Entomology might have been the best class I've ever taken. I'm absolutely fine with most insects. Including maggots. I had to collect them off a decaying opossum for my forensic entomology project. I think I was like the only one who wasn't gagging. I might actually consider pursuing something related to veterinary entomology, since General Entomology was a really interesting class and gave me a whole new appreciation of insects. I mean, we took off a cockroach's head and it lived for 47 days!!! How cool is that???

Maggots on dead things is somehow OK in my mind, it's just when they're on living things I get totally grossed out. I got in a baby squirrel last year whose ears were filled with maggots :barf:

Orca, I am so glad I am not the only weird entomology vet person out there! My one and only publication is in forensic entomology (no relation to vet med whatsoever haha). I may have clarified during my Davis interview that the term "bug" refers to Hemipterans and not all insects......awkward nerd moment.

Most bugs don't gross me out. I'll pick them up and put them outside if they're in the house (even spiders), and I avoid killing them if at all possible. But if a june bug lands on me I FREAK. Hate those things.

Orca, I am so glad I am not the only weird entomology vet person out there! My one and only publication is in forensic entomology (no relation to vet med whatsoever haha). I may have clarified during my Davis interview that the term "bug" refers to Hemipterans and not all insects......awkward nerd moment.

Haha. My professor made it very clear to us about that distinction the first day of class.

Entomology might have been the best class I've ever taken. I'm absolutely fine with most insects. Including maggots. I had to collect them off a decaying opossum for my forensic entomology project. I think I was like the only one who wasn't gagging. I might actually consider pursuing something related to veterinary entomology, since General Entomology was a really interesting class and gave me a whole new appreciation of insects. I mean, we took off a cockroach's head and it lived for 47 days!!! How cool is that???

47 Days?!?!? That is both awesome and CREEPY.

Are you sure your prof wasn't messing with you? We do the headless roach thing each semester for the General Entomology class, and they last about 5 days, maybe a week at the most.

Are you sure your prof wasn't messing with you? We do the headless roach thing each semester for the General Entomology class, and they last about 5 days, maybe a week at the most.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't messing with us, although he is a bit of a joker, so I suppose it's possible. I never really thought about it before. However, I know ours beat the record for longest lasting cockroach. Most of the time they don't last that long. Maybe like two weeks or so. I feel like a lot could play on what kind of conditions the cockroach was in to begin with really.

Entomologists NEVER like to mess with people's heads...no...we would never do that...:D

The first thing I thought of when I read about your cockroach is that the prof was probably executing a new one every few days, leading you to believe that you had a headless cockroach for 47 days.

I never put that much effort into it. I just tied a string around the dead cockroach and dragged it across the overhead projector.

We have one of those centipedes (Scolopendra spp.) that hopefulinva posted a pic of. That's always a crowd pleaser. That one actually makes ME nervous, mostly because it seems to teleport (it is so fast) and it is poisonous enough to possibly land me in the hospital. Don't like messing with it.

...And we're still talking about bugs :laugh:

Entomologists NEVER like to mess with people's heads...no...we would never do that...:D

The first thing I thought of when I read about your cockroach is that the prof was probably executing a new one every few days, leading you to believe that you had a headless cockroach for 47 days.

I never put that much effort into it. I just tied a string around the dead cockroach and dragged it across the overhead projector.

We have one of those centipedes (Scolopendra spp.) that hopefulinva posted a pic of. That's always a crowd pleaser. That one actually makes ME nervous, mostly because it seems to teleport (it is so fast) and it is poisonous enough to possibly land me in the hospital. Don't like messing with it.

Haha. I don't think he would do that since he doesn't really order his cockroaches from anywhere, but just breeds them basically. I think he hasn't ordered Madagascar hissing cockroaches in several years. He might have kept a damp paper towel or something in the container the little guy was contained in which probably helped prevent him from drying out too quickly.

...And we're still talking about bugs :laugh:

SERIOUSLY.

Possibly Marsala can pawn off her tarantula with this crowd (still laughing that you asked moi to be caretaker to the fuzzy one).

SERIOUSLY.

Possibly Marsala can pawn off her tarantula with this crowd (still laughing that you asked moi to be caretaker to the fuzzy one).

Oh that was a tarantula GIFT...I'm down to about 15, I think...:laugh:

I honest-to-gods have recurring nightmares about insects.

After looking at those suckers at high-mag in Ecology....the dreams have really flourished.

My roach story:

(FYI, I wear glasses/contacts and am literally legally blind without them) So I'm laying in bed, blind of course, and I feel something on my leg. I figure it's just the covers, and I'm so near sleep, that I don't bother checking. I just shuffled around funny, right? Right. Nearing sleep again....it moves AGAIN. I'm trying not to freak out (but I'm sleeping in underoos and that's IT). So I just reach down...and something scuttles up my arm, I look and it's a ROACH!!! I FREAK and throw my covers around (right? A great idea), run to the other side of my room and flick on the lights. Of course, I'm STILL blind. So I go hunt down my glasses and come back to the room. Of course, there is no roach to be seen. So I VERY CAREFULLY dissect and examine all layers of covers on my bed, twice and THRICE, even. No roachie. I decide he's long gone and I'll be ok to sleep. (mistake number 1). I get back in bed and try to go to sleep again. I see a dark spot moving on my ceiling at some point in the near yet drowsy future, and the damn thing falls onto my chest.

I did NOT sleep that night. Least of all in my bed. :scared:

Reactions: 1 user
I think I am slightly confused about all this loan information for school. I thought I only had to fill out the fasfa and everything would work good from there.... now people are telling me I have to apply for each individual loan? So confused? :confused:

I would not be able to handle cockroaches.... awg.

ytuhiujkl!

Although it's reassuring to know my fear may actually stem from survival skills, and not just irrational terror. ;)

Speaking of vet entomology -
a) Ear mites are TERRIFYING when you're not expecting to see any (thank you, beloved coworkers, for switching my fecal cytology with an ear one!)
b) I'm ok with pretty much anything but hot damn to cuterebras make me squeamy.

I think I am slightly confused about all this loan information for school. I thought I only had to fill out the fasfa and everything would work good from there.... now people are telling me I have to apply for each individual loan? So confused? :confused:

Errr, I suppose it depends on the type of loans you're looking to get?

I only filled out FAFSA and I qualified for the full federal student loan, as well as an additional Grad Plus.

If you're looking for loans from non-federal sources (banks, credit unions, etc) you'll have to apply to those through the institution that offers them. Be sure to read the fine print, cus they can get you on interest charges.

ytuhiujkl!

Although it's reassuring to know my fear may actually stem from survival skills, and not just irrational terror. ;)

Speaking of vet entomology -
a) Ear mites are TERRIFYING when you're not expecting to see any (thank you, beloved coworkers, for switching my fecal cytology with an ear one!)
b) I'm ok with pretty much anything but hot damn to cuterebras make me squeamy.

Really? Those are my favorite! I get super excited when a client comes in with a potential one. I was extremely disappointed that the last pet I saw with one came in to the clinic when the cuterebra had already vacated its burrow. So all we got to do was debride the dead skin around the holes.

Really? Those are my favorite! I get super excited when a client comes in with a potential one. I was extremely disappointed that the last pet I saw with one came in to the clinic when the cuterebra had already vacated its burrow. So all we got to do was debride the dead skin around the holes.

Omg seeing a cuterebra pop in an out of a kittens cheek is one of my most vivid memories of shadowing small vets!! I can do infected wounds and lesions like no ones business but bugs like the cuterebra, not my favorite.

I glanced quickly and thought that said chupacabra :laugh:

chupacabra.jpg

Hahah, I thought that at first as well. And that is sooo not what I pictured a chpacabra to look like.

And I feel like I'm incredibly behind in preparing myself for this upcoming year since I've switched what school I'm attending for the 3rd time. :scared: