Class of 2018

Started by darklabel
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be applying this cycle as well. I don't have the official AACOMAS GPA calculation yet, but should be sGPA 3.9 cGPA 3.82 and I take the MCAT April 26th. My number one choice is AZCOM. A year of research with submitted paper for publication, a year of volunteering in OR, MD shadowing (hopefully DO soon). SGT in the Army, served a year in Iraq, and various community volunteering.


I didn't see my name on the list darklabel so I thought I'd re-post in case you didn't catch it, but I will be applying this cycle 🙂
 
Just found an awesome FM DO to shadow. Also happens to be a clinical proffesor at MSUCOM, I got lucky. Hopefully it goes well, Monday!

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile
 
I am getting so tired from work. I been working the overnight shift and it is started to get to me. I am becoming so restless... almost like jetlag... I really want to leave the position especially since I been offer the same amount of hours and pay rate at another company for a daytime position.
Working nights was nice because I did get to have a day time life but I am becoming so tired.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am getting so tired from work. I been working the overnight shift and it is started to get to me. I am becoming so restless... almost like jetlag... I really want to leave the position especially since I been offer the same amount of hours and pay rate at another company for a daytime position.
Working nights was nice because I did get to have a day time life but I am becoming so tired.
I'm an ER tech as a resource (no benefits) position, and our schedule is basically determined by when the benefits techs can't work. sometimes it's during the day and sometimes its random ass hours like 3-3am's or 11pm-5am. It screws me up so much switching back and forth. Sleep deprivation is the absolute worst, and makes everything seem unbearable. I had to ask my boss to schedule me less frequently on nights because I couldn't get all my schoolwork done. It sounds like you have no reason not to switch; that's awesome that someone else offered you the same job/pay.
 
Hey everyone, sorry about posting an advertisement in this forum. I will offer some sage advice that is applicable to every school; my time was at a premium in the first few years of medical school and I didn't have any to waste. This is why living close to your school is so important. I will be moving next year and thought that if anyone could benefit from this house, it would be the classes of 2017 and 2018 at AZCOM. There are many students in our area and it's safe, even for little children. PM me and I will give you more details and pictures.
 
I think I'm updated so far? If any discrepancies/if I missed you, please write or PM me so that you're accurately accounted.

Anyways I have a DO letter (So the dreaded "Why DO?" interview question can be accurately answered) and getting straight A's so far this semester 👍

Hope everything is going well for the rest of you guys!
 
First time applicant.

3.6 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA, 31Q (14/6/11). No DO letter. Just going to go for it and hope for the best. Good luck to everyone.
 
First time applicant.

3.6 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA, 31Q (14/6/11). No DO letter. Just going to go for it and hope for the best. Good luck to everyone.

Not too late m8, even if its just a few weeks, you won't believe how much of a difference a DO letter will make since it shows genuine interest in DO and not just seeing it as just a backup.
 
Not too late m8, even if its just a few weeks, you won't believe how much of a difference a DO letter will make since it shows genuine interest in DO and not just seeing it as just a backup.

I've contacted about 50 DO's and only 3 got back to me. One i talked to on the phone, said he was too busy. The other one stopped responding even after re-emailing. The other responds once every 3-4 weeks. It's tough.

I'm thinking of going in to talk to some DO's at the local hospitals just in their office. That a good idea? I just want to at least shadow one before the application. I have an MD letter.
 
With your stats you're fine.

I'll only relax when/if I get an acceptance with my VR score haha. If I do, I will make a thread in great DETAIL about what I had exactly to make up for it. Again that's an IF. I don't want to jinx myself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've contacted about 50 DO's and only 3 got back to me. One i talked to on the phone, said he was too busy. The other one stopped responding even after re-emailing. The other responds once every 3-4 weeks. It's tough.

I'm thinking of going in to talk to some DO's at the local hospitals just in their office. That a good idea? I just want to at least shadow one before the application. I have an MD letter.
Exact same story here. I am just going for it without one. Most say they recommend them, but I am not applying to the couple that require them. I have done a lot in the meantime to show my interest, and become educated on their difference though. I have helped found a pre-SOMA club at my university, attended conferences where representatives from LECOM, RVU, and ATSU-SOMA have come to talk about their universities. I recently finished reading the book "The Difference a D.O. Makes" that reads about the history, philosophy, and significant benefits to attending an Osteopathic medical school. So I feel like I have great answers for the "Why D.O.?" question. I just hope I dont get weeded out by not having the letter in with my secondaries.

My stats:

cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.38
MCAT: 31M (11PS, 10VR, 10BS)

>2,000 hrs of clinical exposure (worked as a CNA for two years)
>1,000 hrs literature mentored research with lab research during this summer
30hrs shadowing FM MD (with 30hrs more coming from an anesthesiologist MD)
>140 volunteer hrs at various things
Non-trad with a wife and two kids
Worked about 20-40hrs a week during all semesters of college always taking full credit loads.
Secretary to Pre-SOMA, and AMSA (american medical student association) for 1.5years
 
Shadowed with a FM today and was awesome. The OMT was really cool, the patients loved it. Haha, the doctor was such a cool guy, amazing bedside manner.

Edit: Forgot to mention he's been practicing for 45 years, turning 78 on Friday.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile
 
Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time poster (I think.) Non-traditional applicant (MD and DO).

sGPA: 3.41
cGPA: 3.33

I abandoned my 2nd semester of community college to join the Marine Corps. Eleven years later, the F's wreak havoc on my GPA.

MCAT: 34K (11/12/11)

What about that "K", you ask? I have no earthly idea. Despite how it looks, English is my first language, haha. Perhaps I just didn't write enough. Let's just hope no one cares! :luck:

200+ hours shadowing, 200+ hours volunteering (ED and PACU), no research.

Good luck all!
D
 
Long time lurker, first time poster (I think.) Non-traditional applicant (MD and DO).

sGPA: 3.41
cGPA: 3.33

I abandoned my 2nd semester of community college to join the Marine Corps. Eleven years later, the F's wreak havoc on my GPA.

MCAT: 34K (11/12/11)

What about that "K", you ask? I have no earthly idea. Despite how it looks, English is my first language, haha. Perhaps I just didn't write enough. Let's just hope no one cares! :luck:

200+ hours shadowing, 200+ hours volunteering (ED and PACU), no research.

Good luck all!
D

That 12 on the verbal will quell anyone from thinking you have an english problem. I doubt anyone will be concerned about it.
 
So I am employed again. I went to another nursing agency and I now work Fri, Sat and Sun 12 hrs each day.

I know understand why being a contract worker sucks. The work schedule is so unsteady.
 
Early Decision?

Wth lol
How

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, please explain. Unless you're part of the Post Bacc program and have a 4.0, idk how anyone can be a guaranteed acceptee.

He probably applied late last cycle--and was offered acceptance into the next years class.

Lol sorry I forgot to explain. But yeah its an early acceptance/decision 3+4 deal. I go to a relativity small university in Kansas City that has many connections with medical schools in the midwest.
 
Well after finishing this semester with 2 A's and 2 A-'s, my official stats are

cGPA- 3.76
sGPA-3.71
MCAT- 31M (11,10,10)

I have two science letters, a non-science letter, a hospital volunteer letter, and will hopefully have my DO letter by the time I apply.

Applying to:
OUHCOM,Marian,LMU,LECOM-B,Nova,KCOM,AZCOM,DMU,RVU,Campbell
+ my state MD schools, USUHS, and some regional low-mid tier MDs

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

P.S.- The app opens up tomorrow! Are you guys excited?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My unofficial DO stats (until they verify):
sGPA: 3.54
cGPA: 3.32

Hopefully that, coupled with my upcoming MCAT score, will be enough to get accepted this year.
 
Man Arrested Developments new season is almost here!

AHHHHH

uploadfromtaptalk1367435553414.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
 
cGPA 3.67 sGPA 3.52
MCAT 26 7/11/8

12 years of various experiences as an RN
Many vol hours and leadership
Not enough "documented" shadowing hours yet (will be on this ASAP)
Started a student organization for CARD (Center for Autism and Related Disabilities) on campus this year
Husband deployed till August - I blame him for my missing an A in BioChem by 2 pts ;-)
2 little ones at home, one has autism. In the process of adopting niece and nephew 8 and 10 (none of that will be on the app, too much info)

Contemplating retaking MCAT. Don't know if its feasible w all that's going on in my life tho. Grabbed a July seat just in case.

Hoping for NOVA or LECOM-B for DO. And USF or FSU for MD.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!
 
Had a long day at work. Started my app, but I need to go to bad, hopefully I will get must of it done tomorrow.
I am scared to submit since I do not think there are redos.
 
started my app today

decided to go with lecom and tcom, kinda sucks that I have to use two systems
 
Why not join in the fun,

3.1cGPA, 3.1sGPA. 24MCAT (8/6/10) retake scores come in next week!

URM, 1500+ Volunteer Hours, 2+ years of research, 500+ Clinical Volunteer

Here is to a great app season!
 
am applying this year too...GPA 3.72 GPAs(maybe)>3.5.
MCAT-took 4/4.most prob 24. retake possible.
minority status- minority among minorities.
work experiences- medical interpreter 2 yrs
lab- 10 months
(after graduation).
volunteer hours- more than 100 hours

any chances-???
 
Updating my stats:

cGPA: 3.32
sGPA: 3.54
MCAT: Find out May 29th.

I have 7,700+ community service/volunteer hours not counting any of my clinical hours (I work in healthcare, so my job history should be enough for that?). If I score a 27+ MCAT, should I be okay applying to ~ 10 DO schools? The likes of CCOM, PCOM, Nova, SOMA, KCOM, TouroNY etc?
 
Last edited:
I'll jump in. cGPA 3.66, sGPA 3.56, MCAT 28O (9/10/9)
80 hours volunteering at a children's hospital
A little over 60 hours split between a bone marrow transplant unit and a PICU in another hospital (ongoing 8 hours a week)
5 years working as a transporter in the Radiology Department at two different hospitals (also ongoing)
~80 hours shadowing physicians (DO and MD in various specialties)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lots of activity here!

Welcome everyone. Good luck to all this cycle.

I have a general question for people who've been through this. Comparatively speaking, how bad is it to apply mid August vs early June? I'm thinking about delaying my app till then after I receive some summer retake grades and mcat score. I'll still submit early and get verified but add the bulk of my schools mid august.
 
Last edited:
Lots of activity here!

Welcome everyone. Good luck to all this cycle.

I have a general question for people who've been through this. Comparatively speaking, how bad is it to apply mid August vs early June? I'm thinking about delaying my app till then after I receive some summer retake grades and mcat score. I'll still submit early and get verified but add the bulk of my schools mid august.

Seems like what alot of peopel do, shouldnt be that big of a deal as SDN makes it seem.