Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still have not shadow a DO yet.
I am suppose to meet a DO on Monday and shadow her. I am meeting her through my undergrad uni. so she understands that I will need a LOR. I just hope I can fit her into my schedule. Man I wish I had my own car.

Also I am going to ask the mentor/mentee coordinator to write me a LOR. I am going to do this next Thurs. at a mentor event.

I just hope I can get these LORs and get them early.

Members don't see this ad.

FYI, we will likely open this year's application threads around May 1, when folks from last year's cycle are pretty much done getting acceptance letters and the waitlist movement heats up for a few months.

Just trying to breathe after the match madness and getting my license stuff in order for my first attending job. *whew*

So if I'm a couple of days later than 5/1, don't worry. We'll open this year's threads. In the meantime, feel free to peruse the dozens of pages of last year's angst-riddled threads. There is some really good information in there, particularly the LOR and AACOMAS threads.

Good luck when it all opens in a few months!

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, we will likely open this year's application threads around May 1, when folks from last year's cycle are pretty much done getting acceptance letters and the waitlist movement heats up for a few months.

Just trying to breathe after the match madness and getting my license stuff in order for my first attending job. *whew*

So if I'm a couple of days later than 5/1, don't worry. We'll open this year's threads. In the meantime, feel free to peruse the dozens of pages of last year's angst-riddled threads. There is some really good information in there, particularly the LOR and AACOMAS threads.

Good luck when it all opens in a few months!

Congratulations! What is your specialty if you don't mind me asking?

3.3 sGPA
3.5 cGPA
4.0 gGPA - MPH in Healthcare Management
MCAT - May 11th, 2013

3 Years of Soft Science Research - No Publication
2 Semesters of School Affiliated Research and Shadowing - I got an email from my research mentor and she said our abstract was accepted and I believe it's being presented? lol still don't know what exactly that means
Main Community Service - 2 days every other month in a youth group.
Lots of Misc Shadowing amounting to about 35 hours
Did the Drexel Mini Med Spring Break Program and got about 42 hours of intense shadowing through that.

Over 6 years of serving as a Business Accounts Manager for my families corporation. I also own 50% of the stocks of one of them. I worked part time (20hr/wk) all through college and paid for my undergrad, and currently paying for Grad School.

I'm having trouble finding a DO to shadow. I emailed a few but no luck. One of my friends is currently trying to contact the DO he shadowed and see if I can shadow her.

My letters will be late, but I should be able to get interviews without the required letters yah?

I'm reallly interested in Emergency Medicine, so Touro is up there. NOVA also seems beautiful and I'm really interested in them as well. Besides that, I'll take any school that will take me! I don't have a committee letter so William Carey is out.

If anyone has recommendations or advice/tips---PMs are appreciated! Will be making an application list soon.

Last edited:
I'm in!
3.8/3.8/28

the countdown to application time begins

OMG... so I am applying to be a HHA for HIV/AIDS patients, this is so exciting.

This CNA/HHA job is giving me so much health knowledge and I love it.

If anyone lives in S.FL I really recommend going to fastcna.com they have 3 days 4 day 6 day courses for CNA and you can add 3 more days for HHA. Also after your CNA you can become a Patient Care Technician/Phelbotomy/EKG courses in 5 days.

I was thinking about doing the others before school start so I can work in a hospital but I really enjoy the CNA/HHA work because I really enjoy spending time with the patient which is so weird because I thought I was going to hate being so close and having to spend one on one with a patient.

3.3 sGPA
3.5 cGPA
4.0 gGPA - MPH in Healthcare Management
MCAT - May 11th, 2013

3 Years of Soft Science Research - No Publication
2 Semesters of School Affiliated Research and Shadowing - I got an email from my research mentor and she said our abstract was accepted and I believe it's being presented? lol still don't know what exactly that means
Main Community Service - 2 days every other month in a youth group.
Lots of Misc Shadowing amounting to about 35 hours
Did the Drexel Mini Med Spring Break Program and got about 42 hours of intense shadowing through that.

Over 6 years of serving as a Business Accounts Manager for my families corporation. I also own 50% of the stocks of one of them. I worked part time (20hr/wk) all through college and paid for my undergrad, and currently paying for Grad School.

I'm having trouble finding a DO to shadow. I emailed a few but no luck. One of my friends is currently trying to contact the DO he shadowed and see if I can shadow her.

My letters will be late, but I should be able to get interviews without the required letters yah?

I'm reallly interested in Emergency Medicine, so Touro is up there. NOVA also seems beautiful and I'm really interested in them as well. Besides that, I'll take any school that will take me! I don't have a committee letter so William Carey is out.

If anyone has recommendations or advice/tips---PMs are appreciated! Will be making an application list soon.

You can find a D.O. through this website. It very helpful and to forewarn you some of the doctors did list their cell phone numbers.
http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/find-a-do/Pages/default.aspx

Hmm--I see lots of 13 doctors, but none listed a cell. Calling these general office numbers has been a complete fail for me thus far.

Anyone know of a directory with doc emails?

Try Googling them. I found that a couple had websites and got in touch through those. Also you gotta be persistent with calling and contacting.

Hmm--I see lots of 13 doctors, but none listed a cell. Calling these general office numbers has been a complete fail for me thus far.

Anyone know of a directory with doc emails?

Sorry I guess it depends on the state I live in Florida and there are lots of D.O.s

So I cant find a D.O. to shadow.

My undergrad uni. can't even found me a D.O. to shadow. ( I contacted both D.O. they give me and got no contact, if I do not get contact by Fri. I am going to tell my uni.)

I email Nova and LECOM-B and got no response.

So today I am going to call both uni. and I am going to call another 20 or so D.O. and see what happening.

So I am thinking abt taking 3 classes before I hopefully start med school.

Option A
A and P 1 during Summer
A and P 2 during Fall
Pharmacology or Gen Micro During Spring.

I thinking about taking these classes at a local state college.

Or
Option B
should I take A and P 1 and 2 during the summer at a local state college and then take an intense A and P known as Human Morphology and Physiology 1 and 2 at my uni.

If I do option A I will be able to work 40+ hours a week as a CNA but if I do option B I will work about 15-20 hours a week as a CNA.

I am leaning towards option A because it safe for my GPA and I need the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I cant find a D.O. to shadow.

My undergrad uni. can't even found me a D.O. to shadow. ( I contacted both D.O. they give me and got no contact, if I do not get contact by Fri. I am going to tell my uni.)

I email Nova and LECOM-B and got no response.

So today I am going to call both uni. and I am going to call another 20 or so D.O. and see what happening.

I couldn't find a DO to shadow either. I am in Utah, and there are probably a dozen within a 20 mile radius of my town. I have tried SO many offices and I never hear ANYTHING back. So I guess I am applying without one. Does anyone know if this is going to seriously hurt me? I have had lots of exposure to Osteopathy. I knew a peds doc that was a DO (just in case you ask I cant shadow him, I dont live around him anymore) when I was on a religious mission I met a DO (this was in MI) that talked a lot with me about the difference. I have served as secretary to my university's pre-SOMA club (the DO med student association) and have attended medical conferences where many DOs have spoken. I also plan on reading The Difference a DO Makes this summer in preparation for intereviews, do you guys think it'll be enough?

This is how my app is looking
3.59 cGPA
3.4 sGPA
31M MCAT (11PS, 10VR, 10BS)

Other major parts of my app will be serving as a CNA for two years with two years of research, no pubs, ~60 hrs of shadowing (FM and ENT MDs), and ~150hrs of service in the last five years.

So I called Nova and they told me it was okay for me to take classes at a local CC.

Also I am still on the search for a D.O. as while... I came into luck through I meet a D.O.-----I never thought it was going to be this hard to find one.

Count me in:3.4 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 23 MCAT 10V/6B/7P, retaking MCAT in May, strong LOR's, EC's and plenty of civilian and military leadership. 10 years in EMS

So I am so happy. I am a CNA as many of you know and I will be working Thurs ( today) - Sunday. 12 hr shifts each day.. That 48 hrs---480 dollars that a lot of money for me since I never had a full time job since 5 years ago.... I am so excited.... I am going to use this money on an orange theory unlimited membership and facials to clear up my skin.... I am so happy.

I am thinking about getting a car but my dad said once I get accepted to med. school I will get one. He first said once I am working 20+ hours , but he never thought I found work this fast and to this quantity.

So I am so happy. I am a CNA as many of you know and I will be working Thurs ( today) - Sunday. 12 hr shifts each day.. That 48 hrs---480 dollars that a lot of money for me since I never had a full time job since 5 years ago.... I am so excited.... I am going to use this money on an orange theory unlimited membership and facials to clear up my skin.... I am so happy.

I am thinking about getting a car but my dad said once I get accepted to med. school I will get one. He first said once I am working 20+ hours , but he never thought I found work this fast and to this quantity.

I encourage you to speak to your father about investing that money--instead of facials?

Na that's kl, that might not be "the best way to use your money" but as long as your not racking up credit card debt and just being dumb go for it. Pre-med is stressful and ik that its even worse working full time (I'm working full time right now as an EMT so I feel you) so if facials keep you sane then go for it. Just don't over work yourself and let your studies fall off right as your applying.

Finally having luck with DO physicians!

Should have 2 possible Doctors to work with and get a LoR.

Hoping to submit my application day 1.
Taking the MCAT May 18th,
Will have my letters ready to go.

Think having my MCAT come in June 18th is late?

Best of luck to everyone!

Count me in:3.4 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 23 MCAT 10V/6B/7P, retaking MCAT in May, strong LOR's, EC's and plenty of civilian and military leadership. 10 years in EMS

I would research lmu if I were you. They tend to have a hard on for military non trad

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

whats up with this thread... its full of drama and ppl getting jobs and facial cares??? seriously?!

Its been a good thread minus those couple of people who bring in unnecessary drama.

Going back to topic, I calculated my gpa and it looks like I'm gonna be applying 3.2c3.05s28mcat. My retake is in june. Should I wait till my scores are released or submit to all schools on june 1st?

My extracurriculars are pretty average I think. 2+ years of research with one publication and another one hopefully this summer, about 200 hospital volunteer hours and a DO LOR on file. My two science letters will be really strong, with atleast one of them talking about my low GPA.

Its been a good thread minus those couple of people who bring in unnecessary drama.

Going back to topic, I calculated my gpa and it looks like I'm gonna be applying 3.2c3.05s28mcat. My retake is in june. Should I wait till my scores are released or submit to all schools on june 1st?

My extracurriculars are pretty average I think. 2+ years of research with one publication and another one hopefully this summer, about 200 hospital volunteer hours and a DO LOR on file. My two science letters will be really strong, with atleast one of them talking about my low GPA.

Retaking a 28....? If you're going for MD--sure. For DO--that should be fine.

Retaking a 28....? If you're going for MD--sure. For DO--that should be fine.

I'm only applying DO but I know I can score above a 30 so I'm trying to beef up my numbers best I can to try to make up for the horrible sgpa.

Better off retaking science classes. A 28 is fine, unless you do significantly better, like 32+, then it's probably not worth it.. Depends on your breakdown too

I'm only applying DO but I know I can score above a 30 so I'm trying to beef up my numbers best I can to try to make up for the horrible sgpa.
Horrible sGPA is made up via grade replacement.

Good luck on the MCAT!

Im retaking what I can this summer but not everything is offered in the summer.

I'll be applying this cycle as well. I don't have the official AACOMAS GPA calculation yet, but should be sGPA 3.9 cGPA 3.82 and I take the MCAT April 26th. My number one choice is AZCOM. A year of research with submitted paper for publication, a year of volunteering in OR, MD shadowing (hopefully DO soon). SGT in the Army, served a year in Iraq, and various community volunteering.

Finally having luck with DO physicians!

Should have 2 possible Doctors to work with and get a LoR.

Hoping to submit my application day 1.
Taking the MCAT May 18th,
Will have my letters ready to go.

Think having my MCAT come in June 18th is late?

Best of luck to everyone!

No.

Anyone else here see other people's ridiculous ECs and get depressed? How do people do so much?

Lol that's how I feel when I see everyone's GPA on here

So I got a got 3 email back from the 40 D.O.s that I contacted to shadow. Hopefully I can get my LOR by Mid-May.

So things have turn around I got an email from a D.O. that has large connection with X COM that is willing to write my a LOR if I shadow at least 9 hours. So I had to decline the 3 other D.O.s.

Also my CNA job going great, I am just trying to stack money until I start my post bac Mid May.

Last edited:
About to get ready for my shadowing on Monday.

Going to get 3 new outfits.
Get a flat iron--- I have natural african american hair.
I wish I can learn how to apply make-up , I am tried of going to MAC and buying a $50 product so they can put make up on me.

I sign up for a makeup course at MAC-- it "free" all you have to do is purchase a $100 gift card so excited to put on my own make-up.

Last edited:
I'm applying for 2013, and also filling out my AMCAS app at the same time. Hoping to go into emergency medicine (working as an ER tech now with my EMT-B cert) so not sure if DO is ideal, but given my GPA it's probably a lot more realistic than MD. Currently retaking the **** out of all the classes I can, so there's a marked upward trend. I tanked my GPA by taking waaaay too many credits (neuro major math minor) so retaking 4 credits gives me less bang for my buck, but I figure it's good to at least show that I'm capable of doing well in the prereq courses.

3.1 | 3.2 | 34Q (10/13/11)

current mission: find a DO to shadow, start volunteering again (I was a volunteer at the hospital I'm now an ER tech at)

ideal school (in-state): Midwestern U CCOM

anyone know what their breakdown is WRT weighting MCAT/GPA more heavily in admissions decisions?

Last edited:
I'm applying for 2013, and also filling out my AMCAS app at the same time. Hoping to go into emergency medicine (working as an ER tech now with my EMT-B cert) so not sure if DO is ideal, but given my GPA it's probably a lot more realistic than MD. Currently retaking the **** out of all the classes I can, so there's a marked upward trend. I tanked my GPA by taking waaaay too many credits (neuro major math minor) so retaking 4 credits gives me less bang for my buck, but I figure it's good to at least show that I'm capable of doing well in the prereq courses.

current mission: find a DO to shadow, start volunteering again (I was a volunteer at the hospital I'm now an ER tech at)

anyone know what their breakdown is WRT weighting MCAT/GPA more heavily in admissions decisions?

EM is definitely within reach for DO. Apparently right now its the "hot" new residency for med school students (while anesthesiology actually went down for number of people wanting it) but its always cyclical.

EM is definitely within reach for DO. Apparently right now its the "hot" new residency for med school students (while anesthesiology actually went down for number of people wanting it) but its always cyclical.

There are also good AOA EM residencies. That may be a moot point with the merger though.

Fellow '18ers!

My first, and strongest letter of recommendation is now prepared and thankfully, the writer is willing to write personalized ones for all my schools (even though it's like 20 schools).

Gonna check up on my 2nd letter writer today, still waiting to hear back from my Graduate Adviser, and my 4th letter is waiting at my school for me.

Really excited to finally be applying. Literally wanna fast forward and just start already.

Whats yalls top pick?

NSU-COM for me.

In a similar situation as you (il resident, ER tech, EMT-B, deadset on EM) and im starting CCOM in the fall. You can PM me if you have any questions.

Count me in this cycle. 3.7/3.7/ TBD. Took the MCAT April 4th

In a similar situation as you (il resident, ER tech, EMT-B, deadset on EM) and im starting CCOM in the fall. You can PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks so much, PM'd you already :D

darklabel -- damnit, maybe I need to find a trendier specialty.

kidding, but in all seriousness I love the ER but I'm not dead set on EM. Surgery seems cool. So does neurology. I guess I'll worry about getting in first haha

Is it important to shadow more that one DO? I have shadowed 3 MDs(FP, EM, Ortho) and 1 DO (gen surg).

I feel that way every time I see people's MCATs

I feel the same way, especially when your scores don't compare with some of the scores that people post. However, it is the internet and people lie, so I always question the validity of their scores.

So I just find out the committee at my past Uni can deny people an interview/ committee letter.

You probably still did way better than me (25) though lol

Well I had to retake the MCAT. I got a 22 the first time around. So I bit the bullet and purchased a class and study my butt off for the past 4 months. Now all that is left is the waiting game.

I am glad I didnt have to retake. I hated studying for that thing.

When is the earliest we can send in transcripts? I know it says transcripts received before May 7 2013, won't be used for 2014 app. So how would we judge how long it takes transcripts to reach them? Should we just wait till first week of May to get uni's to send them over?