Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not looking forward to my next rotation...6 days a week, 12+ hours a day. Coming off of a month at a zoo where the hours were really good.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes being fat is a good thing. Doggie was a bit chunky which slowed down his ability to turn and chomp me. lol

I had an old Great Dane once trying to chomp me, like lips over arm trying to chomp, but her lip folds were too big and kept getting in the way of her teeth chomping.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve been working those hours the past 3 weeks and will be for the next 3 as well. I’m kind of over it, especially the overnights.
Woof. I have those hours for 4 weeks, then go back to campus for ophtho which shouldn't be too bad. I'm bummed about the 6 day week though, doesn't leave a lot of time for exploring Chicago on my off day :p Honestly not sure why this zoo has students on hours like this, guess I'll find out

Woof. I have those hours for 4 weeks, then go back to campus for ophtho which shouldn't be too bad. I'm bummed about the 6 day week though, doesn't leave a lot of time for exploring Chicago on my off day :p Honestly not sure why this zoo has students on hours like this, guess I'll find out
yeah, that would make me sad. Especially like you said for exploring. :(

yeah, that would make me sad. Especially like you said for exploring. :(
I was planning to have my fiance out for a fun weekend too, I didn't know it was a 6 day week until this past week actually. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely grateful for the opportunity, but 6 days a week/12+ hours a day sounds excessive given a classmate of mine said she had a lot of downtime at the same zoo. Good for VetPrep time, I suppose

So it was supposed to be a nice quiet emergency only service on Thursday and Friday here due to veterinary Fall conference where all the local vet and OSU faculty attend/give lectures for CE. Problem with that thought is all the veterinarians are here at conference so the emergencies come to us! I am exhausted. I have a cutie stray kitten that came in last night though with broken femur that is giving great love that is making my weekend. Hope to goodness he gets adopted by one of the front desk staff so I can do his wellness. haha

So far I've only had 730-5pm days on this externship which is nice! Also one of my friends who is doing an anesthesia internship at my school is actually here for two weeks as an anesthesia 'visitor' (this zoo has a boarded anesthesiologist) so I'm having a ton of fun with her being here!

Also side note but apparently I'm staying in a wealthy area. I've never seen such massive/grand homes before. I also pass Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Tesla, Lexus, Porsche, and Mercedes dealerships on my route to the zoo every morning :eek:

Still in the single digits on VetPrep, but almost to doubles... pretty sure I’m super far behind.

Don’t remember how much I actually completed but it wasn’t much and I passed. At some point I switched to looking through notes and listening to NAVLE prep lectures on lecture capture (they were recorded sessions the class above me had done)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm officially a little more than halfway done clinics. :nailbiting: I should probably know the answer to this, but how long of a break do we get for lunch during the NAVLE?

Um, I don't recall attempting to eat lunch during. I think you get one longer 30 minutes break, IIRC, and a couple 10 minute ones. I took one break to use the bathroom, let my brain cool off and then powered through to the end. To be honest, I wouldn't have been able to eat during the test, I was much too nervous and just wanted to be done and out. I got done around noon-1, I think, so wasn't that big of a deal to wait to eat until after.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been off campus for the last two months and I'm not looking forward to getting back in the swing of presenting the case, having a plan, yada yada. Zoo stuff doesn't work that way.

Um, I don't recall attempting to eat lunch during. I think you get one longer 30 minutes break, IIRC, and a couple 10 minute ones. I took one break to use the bathroom, let my brain cool off and then powered through to the end. To be honest, I wouldn't have been able to eat during the test, I was much too nervous and just wanted to be done and out. I got done around noon-1, I think, so wasn't that big of a deal to wait to eat until after.
I may or may not have my post-NAVLE meal planned already (local Mexican place with giaaaant margaritas).

Reactions: 1 user
I've been off campus for the last two months and I'm not looking forward to getting back in the swing of presenting the case, having a plan, yada yada. Zoo stuff doesn't work that way.

I may or may not have my post-NAVLE meal planned already (local Mexican place with giaaaant margaritas).
Ohhhh!!! That is a good idea. I’m going to have to look into places around the testing center.

Not that my dog dying could ever come at a 'good' time, but I can't even think about studying for the NAVLE right now, not to mention finishing my VIRMP app. When it rains, it pours.

Not that my dog dying could ever come at a 'good' time, but I can't even think about studying for the NAVLE right now, not to mention finishing my VIRMP app. When it rains, it pours.
I'm so sorry pinkpuppy :(

I'm finally over 20% done vetprep! I feel like I do fairly decent on the 60 question timed exams too (usually over 67% I think). My friend asked me today if I've done any of the NAVLE assessments, but those things are $50 a pop, and I still have so much to do on vetprep, which I already paid for. Do any of you think there is any additional value in paying for the NAVLE assessments (for me, at this point in time anyway)?

I'm finally over 20% done vetprep! I feel like I do fairly decent on the 60 question timed exams too (usually over 67% I think). My friend asked me today if I've done any of the NAVLE assessments, but those things are $50 a pop, and I still have so much to do on vetprep, which I already paid for. Do any of you think there is any additional value in paying for the NAVLE assessments (for me, at this point in time anyway)?
I thought the NAVLE assessments were a little more representative of question format on the test and I did about how they projected I would do. I took one or two the week before NAVLE, but I also did 100% of VetPrep before I did them. I used them as a final test sort of thing.

I thought the NBVME assessment tests were the most useful, to be honest. However, they wouldn't have been AS useful if I hadn't done any VetPrep. I think I got like 20% of the way through, took one, attempted another 20%, gave up, and then took a second one. I still think you'd be fine taking NAVLE without doing them though, most people are :)

I'm convinced there is something seriously wrong with me. NAVLE is less than 1 week away, and I'm not really stressed about it. I'm FAR from the smartest vet student, and I haven't prepared as well as I probably should. I also know that most people feel like they failed after the test, and I will likely feel that way too. I'm just studying as best as I can now, and hoping it will work out, like it does for most people.

While doing vetprep, sometimes I'm shocked at the things I actually remember, while other times I think... I should really know this, and I don't!

Last edited:
I can't wait until Wednesday afternoon, when I can finally stop studying for NAVLE! This past week has been super helpful though. I feel like I've learned a lot.

I'm going to unsubscribe from the daily zuku and vetprep questions... it's going to be SOOOO amazing. Hopefully I don't need to sign up for them again.

I'm going to unsubscribe from the daily zuku and vetprep questions... it's going to be SOOOO amazing. Hopefully I don't need to sign up for them again.
I'm still subscribed but I gleefully deleted them (unopened) for about a year after NAVLE. Now I do them just to see what I still know or don't know.

I went to a bar immediately after finishing NAVLE. I have a feeling I will be taking that exam again.
From the folks that come before, it always feels like that. I at least should be on vacation when we find out so all the emotions either way will be free to be expressed. lol

I felt perfectly fine after the navle and I attribute it to being very knowledgeable about what getting around a C, eh, C+ish feels like on a test. Which is more than enough to pass the NAVLE. ;) remember that. You don't even need a B.

More likely than not you'll be fine. And even if you aren't there's nothing to be done about it for months so bring on the margaritas!

I felt perfectly fine after the navle and I attribute it to being very knowledgeable about what getting around a C, eh, C+ish feels like on a test. Which is more than enough to pass the NAVLE. ;) remember that. You don't even need a B.

More likely than not you'll be fine. And even if you aren't there's nothing to be done about it for months so bring on the margaritas!

Hah! I still felt like I failed despite squeaking by more times than I care to admit otherwise. Ah well.

Starting to get some serious burnout feels. Haven't had time off since May, NAVLE + match, and not sleeping for **** since my dog died is all starting to add up right about now. I feel my it affecting my performance on clinics too which is adding even more stress :boom:I'm really looking forward to two weeks off over Christmas!

Starting to get some serious burnout feels. Haven't had time off since May, NAVLE + match, and not sleeping for **** since my dog died is all starting to add up right about now. I feel my it affecting my performance on clinics too which is adding even more stress :boom:I'm really looking forward to two weeks off over Christmas!
I was pretty far gone last week, but having finished NAVLE and getting ever closer to freedom, I'm recharged this week. Hang in there!

Yeah, I was a solid C student 1st year, and I’m far from the top of my class, and I’m still pretty sure I failed. I’ve only talked to one person who said “it wasn’t that bad.”

Pretty sure I'm going to be taking the NAVLE again in April. I kept getting questions where I knew about the disease, knew what was going on, then the question at the end required knowledge that I just did not have. Awful, awful test.

At least I don't have to worry about it over Thanksgiving!

Pretty sure I'm going to be taking the NAVLE again in April. I kept getting questions where I knew about the disease, knew what was going on, then the question at the end required knowledge that I just did not have. Awful, awful test.

Yup. I would get excited sometimes that I knew that kind of disease and treatment, but then... what are you asking me this part for???

This is what worries me! Our curriculum really doesn't go into treatments for anything very well, it's one of the biggest points of feedback we keep giving the powers that be.

This is what worries me! Our curriculum really doesn't go into treatments for anything very well, it's one of the biggest points of feedback we keep giving the powers that be.

Literally. Going through all the parasit, bacti, and viro stuff, and hardly any mention of treatment

Literally. Going through all the parasit, bacti, and viro stuff, and hardly any mention of treatment
What you think treating infections will be important? I think history and specific details about random plasmids is much more important to your success as a veterinarian.

Reactions: 7 users