This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tealify

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is cold calling a viable strategy for being able to shadow an internist? I don't have a doctor I know well near me, so I don't really have any connections that I can use to find someone to shadow. What other ways could I go about finding shadowing opportunities?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I've had decent success with cold calling. I called around 10 places and found 2 willing to let me shadow. I am trying to find an internist I can shadow in a hospital though.

Some hospitals have a person who schedules shadowing
Google to see if any hospitals near you have it
Google: hospital name shadowing

This will also let you know if they don't allow shadowing so you don't waste time cold emailing someone

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, but I prefer email (unless you didn't mean calling literally). that way, you're more likely to reach the actual doctor and not a front desk receptionist or call center. it's also easier to draft up a letter of interest and throw in a resume.

Are you near any smaller rural hosptials? I've had luck reaching out to physician recruiters at 2 hospitals. They love setting things up for potential hires after medical school.

I'm a big proponent of walking into a hospital/clinic and dropping off a short resume and "cover letter" for the physicians you're interested in shadowing. It seems to get much better results in terms of the number of physicians willing to allow you to shadow.

Cold calling is the last resort because it's low-yield. Work through personal/family contacts first.

yes, but I prefer email (unless you didn't mean calling literally). that way, you're more likely to reach the actual doctor and not a front desk receptionist or call center. it's also easier to draft up a letter of interest and throw in a resume.
I would like to email the doctors, however I'm not sure how to find their emails. For example, doctors who work in clinics have only the clinic's phone number listed, not their email. Furthermore, the hospitals nearest me are Baylor and Parkland, however they don't have physician emails either. Do you have any advice as to how to find emails?

Thanks again!!

I would like to email the doctors, however I'm not sure how to find their emails. For example, doctors who work in clinics have only the clinic's phone number listed, not their email. Furthermore, the hospitals nearest me are Baylor and Parkland, however they don't have physician emails either. Do you have any advice as to how to find emails?

Thanks again!!

yeah, sometimes they make it deliberately hard to find email addresses (for good reason I'm sure). you could look up the doctors' full names and then use google or the hospital directory to stalk -- er, I mean "search" for their emails.

not sure if this is the case for Baylor and Parkland, but the hospitals around me had really stringent guidelines on shadowing which made it virtually impossible. I mostly sought out physicians in private practices because it was just easier logistically.

Reactions: 1 user