Colorado State c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! I'm a current c/o 2024 DVM student here at CSU. I've been where you are now 7 times for CSU, with two rounds of being waitlisted. Sometimes it takes a few tries and sometimes you get accepted on the first round. For anyone worried about their age, we've got "more mature" folks and some who literally just graduated. In my lab group alone: one is 33, one is 22, one is 25 and I am 29. It does not matter about the age you start the program at, EVERYONE'S journey looks different! As for the number of applicants, CSU has always been a VERY popular school to apply to so I would not be surprised if the actual number is 3,500. I can't offer details of admissions but if anyone just wants to talk about how they are feeling or has questions about what the program is like, LMK 😊

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
So I just saw a comment on a post on the APVMA Facebook page saying they received around 3500 applications this year... does anyone know how accurate that is because that seems incredibly high!
One of our professors on the admissions board did confirm this number

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
One of our professors on the admissions board did confirm this number
Dang, there goes the little bit of hope I had for an OOS acceptance 😅 Do either of you know what CSU seems to value most when reviewing applicants?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, there goes the little bit of hope I had for an OOS acceptance 😅 Do either of you know what CSU seems to value most when reviewing applicants?
They do a lot of holistic reviewing. Honestly, it seems like there is a significant amount of diverse statistics amongst our class, definitely some with strong GPAs, some with really stand out experiences, and everything in between, including a good number of non-traditional students (our average class age is 28!) I wish I could be more help, but it's not super clear cut in terms of a specific type of applicant they hone in on. Don't lose hope until you hear something!

They do a lot of holistic reviewing. Honestly, it seems like there is a significant amount of diverse statistics amongst our class, definitely some with strong GPAs, some with really stand out experiences, and everything in between, including a good number of non-traditional students (our average class age is 28!) I wish I could be more help, but it's not super clear cut in terms of a specific type of applicant they hone in on. Don't lose hope until you hear something!
That’s super nice to hear. I’m so tired of everything being about perfect GPA’s. How well I did in freaking calculus tells you nothing about what kind of veterinarian I will be 🥲

Reactions: 5 users
That’s super nice to hear. I’m so tired of everything being about perfect GPA’s. How well I did in freaking calculus tells you nothing about what kind of veterinarian I will be 🥲
Yes! I agree 100%. I was hurt at first but now I've come to see it as that schools loss if they reject me because my gpa isn't a 3.9 or 4.0. I have an incredibly well-rounded backgrounded with vet experience within many different areas of the field. Being able to work full-time while attending junior college and then university while still getting good grades on top of interning to gain vet hours & experience should be what tells that school what kind of veterinarian I will be: a persevering and hard ass working veterinarian. Damn, I should have put that in my personal statements LOL 😂

Reactions: 8 users
Yes! I agree 100%. I was hurt at first but now I've come to see it as that schools loss if they reject me because my gpa isn't a 3.9 or 4.0. I have an incredibly well-rounded backgrounded with vet experience within many different areas of the field. Being able to work full-time while attending junior college and then university while still getting good grades on top of interning to gain vet hours & experience should be what tells that school what kind of veterinarian I will be: a persevering and hard ass working veterinarian. Damn, I should have put that in my personal statements LOL 😂

For real. I had 4 jobs in grad school. And even though I withdrew from Orgo twice, I killed it on my last try. I know there's a lot I can bring to the table. It's just tough knowing I'm still probably going to get slapped in the face. I'm OOS with a 3.5, probably a little lower when I applied. Here's to hoping anyway, I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
For real. I had 4 jobs in grad school. And even though I withdrew from Orgo twice, I killed it on my last try. I know there's a lot I can bring to the table. It's just tough knowing I'm still probably going to get slapped in the face. I'm OOS with a 3.5, probably a little lower when I applied. Here's to hoping anyway, I gue
PREACH. And while I should bite my tongue, I’m going to say this anyways...my friend who is currently in vet school admitted that she sees a direct correlation between GPA and people skills. She has definitely noticed that the students who worked throughout college and tended to be more “well rounded” maybe didn’t have great GPAs, but they were much better at communicating with their peers, mock clients, and faculty! So darn it give us a chance, maybe we didn’t get straight A’s but we can relate and connect with owners and that should mean something ! 😅

Reactions: 9 users
PREACH. And while I should bite my tongue, I’m going to say this anyways...my friend who is currently in vet school admitted that she sees a direct correlation between GPA and people skills. She has definitely noticed that the students who worked throughout college and tended to be more “well rounded” maybe didn’t have great GPAs, but they were much better at communicating with their peers, mock clients, and faculty! So darn it give us a chance, maybe we didn’t get straight A’s but we can relate and connect with owners and that should mean something ! 😅
I wish there was a good way to measure emotional intelligence. Because it’s SUPER important!

Reactions: 6 users
To add to everything else y'all said last night....does anyone else feel disheartened that there is a shortage of veterinarians in a lot of places in the U.S. and the world says we need more veterinarians, yet the system continues to make It so difficult to get into a DVM program??

Reactions: 9 users
To add to everything else y'all said last night....does anyone else feel disheartened that there is a shortage of veterinarians in a lot of places in the U.S. and the world says we need more veterinarians, yet the system continues to make It so difficult to get into a DVM program??
YES. Not to mention the insane costs of attending and simply applying to vet school exclude so many

As someone who lived with two 4.0 premed students in undergrad I completely agree with this 😅

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish there was a good way to measure emotional intelligence. Because it’s SUPER important!
Oh god, I can just imagine admissions hopping onto some proprietary test claiming to accurately measure EQ without any independent studies verifying it says anything meaningful at all. I can imagine it because it’s essentially what AVC already does to “assess” professionalism with its WSAB. If a school came back to me like “there are actually 4 components of emotional intelligence. We believe you are deficient in 3 of those 4,” I might expire of exhaustion on the spot.

(I am so sorry for the bachelorette link. My only defence is that my roommates and I watch it together to bond because we make some questionable decisions.)

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Oh god, I can just imagine admissions hopping onto some proprietary test claiming to accurately measure EQ without any independent studies verifying it says anything meaningful at all. I can imagine it because it’s essentially what AVC already does to “assess” professionalism with its WSAB. If a school came back to me like “there are actually 4 components of emotional intelligence. We believe you are deficient in 3 of those 4,” I might expire of exhaustion on the spot.

(I am so sorry for the bachelorette link. My only defence is that my roommates and I watch it together to bond because we make some questionable decisions.)
oh man. that would be awful. could just see them making us take some knock off of the mbti test or big 5 or something. and genuinely not sure how that would go for me 😂

Yep. Exhausted. I'm at a point where it's like okay I know I lead a pretty unconventional life, if I don't get in this year what's the right move aside from finishing pre-reqs? Keep taking classes? Try something new? I'm spreading myself thin.
YES. Not to mention the insane costs of attending and simply applying to vet school exclude so many
this!! I could only and barely afford to apply to 4 schools this year and I'm still waiting on my refund check from vmcas 😣 next year was supposed to be the big year, save up and apply for as many as possible. But I'm running on empty. Covid makes it worse. I'm sure many of us have similar circumstances; I wish more schools would endurance into account as well.

I kinda liked that about the Colorado application - that they asked for more info about your work schedule and such to see how that could impact grades. I just hope they honor their holistic approach. I saw they have a rank system for oos on that one handout so I'm kinda discouraged.

Reactions: 8 users
Yep. Exhausted. I'm at a point where it's like okay I know I lead a pretty unconventional life, if I don't get in this year what's the right move aside from finishing pre-reqs? Keep taking classes? Try something new? I'm spreading myself thin.

this!! I could only and barely afford to apply to 4 schools this year and I'm still waiting on my refund check from vmcas next year was supposed to be the big year, save up and apply for as many as possible. But I'm running on empty. Covid makes it worse. I'm sure many of us have similar circumstances; I wish more schools would endurance into account as well.

I kinda liked that about the Colorado application - that they asked for more info about your work schedule and such to see how that could impact grades. I just hope they honor their holistic approach. I saw they have a rank system for oos on that one handout so I'm kinda discouraged.
What's the rank system?

Reactions: 1 user
What's the rank system?
i don't know how their ranking system works and what they take into account since they consider themselves holistic.
"DVM Review (includes FAVCIP candidates): is a review of applicants in either the Colorado, Nonsponsored, or WICHE pool.
◊ Colorado – will result in a rank list of candidates. Food Animal Veterinary Career Incentive Program (FAVCIP) applicants will be included as part of this review (including any FAVCIPcertified non-Colorado applicants).
◊ Nonsponsored – will result in a rank list of candidates.
◊ WICHE – Because WICHE rankings may not yet have been released in January, WICHE candidates who are highly ranked by the CSU Admissions Committee members will be selected for a Nonsponsored position. Additionally, those WICHE candidates who are selected for a WICHE funded position, if a position exists, and as is determined by the WICHE Regional Office via the WICHE combined ranking process, will be selected for a WICHE position."
apparently if you had under the 3.2 gpa early academic review may have already happened? i'm not sure if we'd receive any notice of that. i am not sure if i'd fall into that category, as i really don't know how they'd calculate my gpa. i put my weakest bio lab down, but i've taken higher ranking bio classes with labs -- they just weren't separate from the class.

anyway here's the link: vetmedbiosci.colostate.edu/dvm/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2019/06/dvm-phased-admissions-process1.pdf

The bachelorette reference >>>>
(My roomies and I bonded over that show this semester too😂 the perfect chaotic distraction from real life chaos)

• Haha

Love the bachelorette quote hahaha

sometimes I regret finding SDN because i compare myself too much to others but the tie in to the bachelorette in this post made it worth it
:lol:

Hahahah!!! That made me cackle. I truly appreciate that Bachelorette drop, thank you for giving me a smile!

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 12.08.41 AM.png

what is prov rqmt? this was there when I logged in today

View attachment 326034
what is prov rqmt? this was there when I logged in today
Are you currently in classes and need to send additional transcripts at some point? Did you get an email? Don't forget to check spam folders!

I don't have anything on my portal (IS) either so I think you should call to make sure they have everything they need. Couldn't hurt.

"You can apply and be admitted under provisional admission before completing all required courses." This is from the CSU DVM website, maybe that's what the "prov rqmt" is? Just provisional admissions with pre reqs still needed? I also have outstanding pre-reqs and my portal didn't change so if someone calls, please update!!:)

• Wow
"You can apply and be admitted under provisional admission before completing all required courses." This is from the CSU DVM website, maybe that's what the "prov rqmt" is? Just provisional admissions with pre reqs still needed? I also have outstanding pre-reqs and my portal didn't change so if someone calls, please update!!:)
My account doesn't have that, which would make sense because I've completed all of the required classes anyway. I just want to hear from them already :cryi:

I took one class this fall (biochem) so maybe it has to do with prereqs?? But maybe its some random non exciting form they need. I emailed them just now and asked if they needed anything from me, i will update you all!

i'm not sure - my page does not have this, and i do have outstanding pre-reqs. maybe contact them?I
I am in the same position which is why I was thinking that maybe it meant those people were going to be offered waitlist or acceptance.

Hey everyone! I haven't been on SDN in ages but I'm a current 2nd year (Class of 2023) and I'm an active CSU DVM Ambassador (I technically get paid if I get questions emailed to me, so if you'd like to email me, just DM me and I can send that over to you)! I know we have a few other current students answering questions but I can also answer them as well! Just from doing a read through of all of these messages already here is some things I have to add:

So I noticed that if you are independent you aren't required to put the information based on your parents' income/taxes. However, it says if you are a professional student, it says you should. Any one know why this is the case? And how many of y'all older students will be supplying this info?
You should always enter your parents income/tax information on FAFSA so you can qualify for the HPL. It's typically $10k or so, but it's through the university rather than distributed through the government. It has MUCH lower interest rates and is considered a subsidized loan if I'm not incorrect. All other professional school loans are unsubsidized, meaning that they accrue interest while you are in school.

I don't supply any parent info, And put 0 in my EFC column, I make like 12K/yr working part-time right now and I get full aid. Although I'm planning on doing the Army's HPSP program since I'm a Veteran already it should be easy and you get like 3K/month or something plus full tuition paid for school.
I was an HPSP applicant in my round, unfortunately I was not accepted for it (I was put on the waitlist aka Order of Merit list) but I HIGHLY recommend anyone that is interested in the Army Veterinary Corps to apply. Just to clarify a couple of things though: they don't provide full tuition paid because they only cover 3 years of your tuition for veterinary school. You apply in your first semester and then your scholarship would start in your second year. Being a veteran will definitely help you but it doesn't necessarily guarantee it. We have an active duty Marine officer in my class that has an MPH who applied but his recruiter didn't actually send his application in properly, so he was denied (literally had everything that the vet corps would've wanted and it didn't work out right for him).

If anyone has questions about it, I'm very open to talking about my process of applying for it as well.

So I just saw a comment on a post on the APVMA Facebook page saying they received around 3500 applications this year... does anyone know how accurate that is because that seems incredibly high!
And yes this is an accurate number. CSU almost always gets the highest number of applicants of most of the veterinary schools in the US because of the holistic review method. It's an incredibly competitive program and it takes a long time for them to review all of the applications. Just be patient, and enjoy your winter while you can.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm willing to talk individually too or just answer what I see on the thread!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I haven't been on SDN in ages but I'm a current 2nd year (Class of 2023) and I'm an active CSU DVM Ambassador (I technically get paid if I get questions emailed to me, so if you'd like to email me, just DM me and I can send that over to you)! I know we have a few other current students answering questions but I can also answer them as well! Just from doing a read through of all of these messages already here is some things I have to add:

You should always inter your parents income/tax information on FAFSA so you can qualify for the HPL. It's typically $10k or so, but it's through the university rather than distributed through the government. It has MUCH lower interest rates and is considered a subsidized loan if I'm not incorrect. All other professional school loans are unsubsidized, meaning that they accrue interest while you are in school.

I was an HPSP applicant in my round, unfortunately I was not accepted for it (I was put on the waitlist aka Order of Merit list) but I HIGHLY recommend anyone that is interested in the Army Veterinary Corps to apply. Just to clarify a couple of things though: they don't provide full tuition paid because they only cover 3 years of your tuition for veterinary school. You apply in your first semester and then your scholarship would start in your second year. Being a veteran will definitely help you but it doesn't necessarily guarantee it. We have an active duty Marine officer in my class that has an MPH who applied but his recruiter didn't actually send his application in properly, so he was denied (literally had everything that the vet corps would've wanted and it didn't work out right for him).

If anyone has questions about it, I'm very open to talking about my process of applying for it as well.

And yes this is an accurate number. CSU almost always gets the highest number of applicants of most of the veterinary schools in the US because of the holistic review method. It's an incredibly competitive program and it takes a long time for them to review all of the applications. Just be patient, and enjoy your winter while you can.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm willing to talk individually too or just answer what I see on the thread!
So how do you like CSU? What would be your top reasons to pick CSU's DVM program over another veterinary schools? Besides Fort Collins 😂😂

I have an update on my portal saying I was denied from the UAF/CSU dual program (no surprise there as I’m not an AK resident) but still being considred for a non-sponsored seat at CSU so they must be in the process of updating portals to some extent!

• Wow
Same here!

I have an update on my portal saying I was denied from the UAF/CSU dual program (no surprise there as I’m not an AK resident) but still being considred for a non-sponsored seat at CSU so they must be in the process of updating portals to some extent!

I got the Prov Rqmt on my portal page today too. Did anybody find out more answers about this?

OOS applicant to the general DVM program. Status is still “submitted”, but now have a “prov rqmt” waiting submission on my application. I’m from Canada and have gotten mixed answers from them about whether and how to submit my WES report. Most recently (November) they said I would see on my application if they needed it from me. Not sure if this is that, or if so how they would like it submitted. Are others with this requirement international as well?

I’m getting real anxious trying to figure out what the Prov Rqmt means and if I should be worried or thankful that my application doesn’t have it😂

Where exactly on the portal page does it say this?

Looking at CSU's site I'm pretty sure it's the abbreviated form of "Provisional Admissions requirement(s)"

I just checked and I don‘t have the prov rqmt thing on mine, but I know I have fulfilled all prereqs and I don’t have any classes in progress. It’s exciting they’re making updates, though! Maybe that means we’ll hear on the earlier side of January.

Also got the prov reqmt this morning!
I wish they would send out an email telling us what to do?

I just checked and I don‘t have the prov rqmt thing on mine, but I know I have fulfilled all prereqs and I don’t have any classes in progress. It’s exciting they’re making updates, though! Maybe that means we’ll hear on the earlier side of January.
Same here ! Lol not sure if it’s a good thing ot a bad thing 😂