This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkutz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a kind of unique situation. I'm planning on applying for PT school in the summer/fall of this year. I currently have a 3.54 overall GPA with a Psychology major and a Chemistry minor, my GPA would be MUCH better if I hadn't done the chemistry minor but I began as pre-med so I needed the courses for that.

I am graduating next December and I have completed all of my pre-reqs except my 2 general physics and my 2nd anatomy course. In the spring I will be studying abroad through an exchange program in Australia and I won't be able to take the Physics courses I need. Would it have any effect on my admission chances if I take the physics courses online through a local community college while I'm abroad and over the summer so I can still graduate on time in December? Or should I postpone my graduation for that course so I can take them at my university? I don't want it to look like I took it so it'd be easier at a community college, it's just more convenient for me. I feel like my transcript shows I don't just take easy classes though considering my minor requiring Organic and Biochem courses.

Next, since I have recently changed my mind from pre-med to pre-PT, I don't have any shadowing hours so far. I shadowed some doctors and I've had plenty of physical therapy myself, just with 2 jobs and school I haven't had much time so far. I plan on shadowing over christmas break and until I leave for Australia but will this be enough? Also, should I look into shadowing while I'm in Australia? Is that something that would stand out on my application or would it not be relevant since it's not in the US?

Finally, I've been working as a gymnastics coach for the past 5 years. Is this something that will help my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the bigger issue is taking the course online. A handful of places won't take CC courses, but there are a lot more that won't take online science courses. That's definitely the case where I am applying. Before you spend the time and money on the courses I would check with the schools you plan on applying to.

I'm not sure what scrawnyguy is referring to about programs not accepting CC courses, almost all of my pre-reqs were done at a local Community College and not one of the six programs I applied to said anything to me about it being a problem. And as far as I could tell, the people interviewing me didn't look at me differently since I took classes there because there is nothing wrong with doing that. But do some extra research into specific programs that you are interested in to see if they don't accept CC courses, I think your in the clear as far as that goes.

I do think you should wait on the Physics, most programs do not accept online science courses to my knowledge. Wouldn't want to go through that all summer just to find out you have to retake it in the fall/spring. Have fun in Australia!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You can use many experiences to your advantage too. So I think the Australia volunteering would be beneficial and having. At least 150+ hours definitely helps.

When you say help your application, what do you mean? Do you mean help as in make you a stronger applicant? I don't think that job will make or break your acceptance but it is a great experience to refer to during a interview.

I'm not sure what scrawnyguy is referring to about programs not accepting CC courses, almost all of my pre-reqs were done at a local Community College and not one of the six programs I applied to said anything to me about it being a problem. And as far as I could tell, the people interviewing me didn't look at me differently since I took classes there because there is nothing wrong with doing that. But do some extra research into specific programs that you are interested in to see if they don't accept CC courses, I think your in the clear as far as that goes.

I do think you should wait on the Physics, most programs do not accept online science courses to my knowledge. Wouldn't want to go through that all summer just to find out you have to retake it in the fall/spring. Have fun in Australia!

I'm saying CC courses aren't an issue at most schools, but there are exceptions. This seems to be most common with A&P courses at some schools. Like this one for example: http://www.gru.edu/alliedhealth/pt/admissionsreq.php . Most schools don't seem to care. I took all of my science prereqs at a CC. I already had a Bachelor's degree and the CC offered courses for a much better price and had a wider variety of courses to meet my schedule. I think we would both agree that the online physics courses may not be the best idea. There are a growing number of schools that will take these courses, but many still do not. Some schools will allow you to use hybrid courses that utilize an online lecture component, but require an in person lab. And finally there are a lot of schools who want you to take science courses at a brick and mortar. I was in the military for many years and I took a great deal of my courses online, but I went back to school in person when I got out to knock out my science courses. Once again, check with your school. I think everyone on this forum will agree that you shouldn't use anything we say as the be all, end all. It's good to use this board for ideas, but I would always go right to the source (your intended schools) for the final word.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm saying CC courses aren't an issue at most schools, but there are exceptions. This seems to be most common with A&P courses at some schools. Like this one for example: http://www.gru.edu/alliedhealth/pt/admissionsreq.php . Most schools don't seem to care. I took all of my science prereqs at a CC. I already had a Bachelor's degree and the CC offered courses for a much better price and had a wider variety of courses to meet my schedule. I think we would both agree that the online physics courses may not be the best idea. There are a growing number of schools that will take these courses, but many still do not. Some schools will allow you to use hybrid courses that utilize an online lecture component, but require an in person lab. And finally there are a lot of schools who want you to take science courses at a brick and mortar. I was in the military for many years and I took a great deal of my courses online, but I went back to school in person when I got out to knock out my science courses. Once again, check with your school. I think everyone on this forum will agree that you shouldn't use anything we say as the be all, end all. It's good to use this board for ideas, but I would always go right to the source (your intended schools) for the final word.

Very well said, I agree completely

Interesting that GRU required pre reqs from a 4 year school. I called all the other schools in Georgia and they accept CC. In fact Georgia State recommended CC. I was actually signed up to finish pre reqs at Ga State but they strongly encouraged CC to save money and for the ease of class scheduling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have a kind of unique situation. I'm planning on applying for PT school in the summer/fall of this year. I currently have a 3.54 overall GPA with a Psychology major and a Chemistry minor, my GPA would be MUCH better if I hadn't done the chemistry minor but I began as pre-med so I needed the courses for that.

I am graduating next December and I have completed all of my pre-reqs except my 2 general physics and my 2nd anatomy course. In the spring I will be studying abroad through an exchange program in Australia and I won't be able to take the Physics courses I need. Would it have any effect on my admission chances if I take the physics courses online through a local community college while I'm abroad and over the summer so I can still graduate on time in December? Or should I postpone my graduation for that course so I can take them at my university? I don't want it to look like I took it so it'd be easier at a community college, it's just more convenient for me. I feel like my transcript shows I don't just take easy classes though considering my minor requiring Organic and Biochem courses.

Next, since I have recently changed my mind from pre-med to pre-PT, I don't have any shadowing hours so far. I shadowed some doctors and I've had plenty of physical therapy myself, just with 2 jobs and school I haven't had much time so far. I plan on shadowing over christmas break and until I leave for Australia but will this be enough? Also, should I look into shadowing while I'm in Australia? Is that something that would stand out on my application or would it not be relevant since it's not in the US?

Finally, I've been working as a gymnastics coach for the past 5 years. Is this something that will help my application?

Taking prerequisite courses at a community college is fine. A majority of applicants probably do this for one reason or another. We do not view it unfavorably. Our primary concerns in admissions is that applicants a) have earned or will soon earn a baccalaureate degree b) have taken the prerequisite courses and c) meet all minimum academic eligibility requirements for GPA, GRE, and observation hours.

Shadowing in Australia would not be a problem and may be actually interesting for an admissions committee. Go for it.

I took physics II online and it was not an issue. But I definitely had to check with my schools first and send them a full syllabus so they could approve it. But, I had already completed physics lab when I was taking Physics I. Definitely double check....they were cool with the course being online but not the lab.

Interesting that GRU required pre reqs from a 4 year school. I called all the other schools in Georgia and they accept CC. In fact Georgia State recommended CC. I was actually signed up to finish pre reqs at Ga State but they strongly encouraged CC to save money and for the ease of class scheduling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well, that can't be right bc my anatomies were in a CC and they interviewed me. That's odd.

Hello!

For classes taken at a CC I don't really think it should affect you that much, especially if you do well in them. As others have mentioned, definitely look into the school and email their admissions director to confirm with them just incase! I've done this before and they were able to tell me whether or not the class would count towards my prereq!

I graduated with my Bachelors at a University, but I completed a good portion of my gen eds at a CC (Anatomy I/II, Chem I/II, Physics I/II, and Intro to Bio), and I was offered an interview at all 5 schools that I applied to! And Acceptance to 1 of the schools, and waiting for the rest to reply. So I definitely don't think taking classes at CC will put you at a disadvantage, especially if your grades, experience, essay, and other factors can help you stand out :)

I would say the more experience in more fields, the better! Just make sure you're able to get in contact with the PT you shadowed because for PTCAS the PT will have to confirm the hours you shadowed with them!

Best of luck to you! :)

Most schools don't have any issues whatsoever with community college courses. I completed my undergraduate degree at my university in 2013 and decided after the fact I was heading in the PT direction. So I took my remaining prerequisites at a community college, aced them, and never had an issue. The issue would be, I think, in taking a lab portion online - most programs want you in person for labs. But community college courses really don't hurt you.

I just recently got into UMiami and USC...community college courses definitely don't hinder your chances :)