Competitive applicant for EM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

druidboy05

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm an OMS-1, still interested in pursuing a residency spot in EM. I know Step 1 scores are #1 priority, but given that I'm a DO student and the upcoming merger is pretty much eliminating most AOA-associated EM residency spots, what else can I do to set myself apart from other applicants? Summer's coming up and I am trying to figure out if I should utilize it for a research fellowship or if I should consider enrolling in my school's joint MBA program? I heard having a MBA won't do much in terms of competitiveness, so what else can distinguish you when you're up against other DO AND MD students for a mid-level (or highly-sought after) residency program?

Members don't see this ad.

First, you shouldn’t do an MBA unless you want an MBA. It will not help you get a residency and will cost you a significant amount of money. Second, unless you are from one of the large state schools, that MBA is probably worthless anyway.

Next, EM isn’t heavy on research but it never hurts. EM is almost entirely boards and SLOEs which you can’t get until 4th year. So just do well and keep an open mind, because people change specialty interests frequently.

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm an OMS-1, still interested in pursuing a residency spot in EM. I know Step 1 scores are #1 priority, but given that I'm a DO student and the upcoming merger is pretty much eliminating most AOA-associated EM residency spots, what else can I do to set myself apart from other applicants? Summer's coming up and I am trying to figure out if I should utilize it for a research fellowship or if I should consider enrolling in my school's joint MBA program? I heard having a MBA won't do much in terms of competitiveness, so what else can distinguish you when you're up against other DO AND MD students for a mid-level (or highly-sought after) residency program?
You probably know this but...

With the merger, a solid USMLE score will even be more important than it is now. For EM, various associate deans of clinical sciences at the DO schools I know are recommending that their students get scores in the 230-240 range. They are also telling their students that they will be at a competitive disadvantage to MD students so they need to maximize their USMLE scores above the average (230). Pick research over an MBA from an unaccredited (AACSB) DO school. No one I work with in the healthcare industry cares about MBA's from unaccredited DO schools except the DO schools which sell them. Develop/use your connections. If your parents work in healthcare, this is your backdoor into a competitive EM residency. If not, work diligently to develop a network of your own. One last thought, any DO school associate dean which tells you that taking the COMLEX only after the merger is OK, is living in an alternate reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You probably know this but...

With the merger, a solid USMLE score will even be more important than it is now. For EM, various associate deans of clinical sciences at the DO schools I know are recommending that their students get scores in the 230-240 range. They are also telling their students that they will be at a competitive disadvantage to MD students so they need to maximize their USMLE scores above the average (230). Pick research over an MBA from an unaccredited (AACSB) DO school. No one I work with in the healthcare industry cares about MBA's from unaccredited DO schools except the DO schools which sell them. Develop/use your connections. If your parents work in healthcare, this is your backdoor into a competitive EM residency. If not, work diligently to develop a network of your own. One last thought, any DO school associate dean which tells you that taking the COMLEX only after the merger is OK, is living in an alternate reality.

I really appreciate the advice! Unfortunately, no parents/relatives in healthcare, so it's all on me - other than research, is there anything else that adds to an application? If not, I'll definitely start looking into those summer research fellowships

I really appreciate the advice! Unfortunately, no parents/relatives in healthcare, so it's all on me - other than research, is there anything else that adds to an application? If not, I'll definitely start looking into those summer research fellowships

Find ways to get involved with EM extracurricular-wise, it will serve dual purpose: further enlightening you to whether EM is truly your desired specialty, in the long term it will show you have had interest and maintained it throughout your medical school career.

Geting involved with EMRA is an option - the medical student council is an incredible experience. Other experiences that would help would be the ACOEP has a med student council type thing and so does the AAEM-RSA.

Overall, here's your blueprint for EM
Step 1 ideally >230
Step 2ck 10 points or more above your step 1, or at the very least around same score
Away rotations - this is individual, but few DO schools have a home EM program, so 2-3 aways if your application is solid and you're not applying with certain goals (i.e. region you have no connections to, etc.)
SLOE's are the currency for your aways - do the absolute best you can - not all that difficult most places

Feel free to PM me with more questions

Reactions: 2 users
I'm an OMS-4, went unmatched for EM in the AOA, and pulled out of ACGME since the numbers were against me. I wholeheartedly second taking USMLE. I'm studying for Step 1 now, and will be taking it right before my TRI starts in July. A good USMLE will open a lot of doors.