Compounding exam, NY licensure, Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lebanesepharmacist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply for residency programs in New York, but as you know they require a third exam (in addition to MPJE and NAPLEX), that is compounding. That exam can only be taken in June and January (weirdly). I graduate end of june, and should be licensed by September 1 in New York. In order to take the compouding exam, they need proof of graduation. Does this mean I can't sit for the exam and can't apply to New York residency programs since I graduate June 29?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to apply for residency programs in New York, but as you know they require a third exam (in addition to MPJE and NAPLEX), that is compounding. That exam can only be taken in June and January (weirdly). I graduate end of june, and should be licensed by September 1 in New York. In order to take the compouding exam, they need proof of graduation. Does this mean I can't sit for the exam and can't apply to New York residency programs since I graduate June 29?

I'm pretty sure you can take the compounding exam the January before graduation. Usually people do that and then take it again in June in case they fail. I found it tougher than the NAPLEX and MPJE, while I aced those, I passed the compounding by 1 point (used regular ora-sweet instead of sugar free on a diabetic patient's compound, you had to specifically request the sugar free stuff from the proctor because it wasn't provided to you).

Reactions: 1 user
I believe residency training/assessments can be used in place of the compounding exam. Ask your residency director. http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pharm/pharm4b.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you can take the compounding exam the January before graduation. Usually people do that and then take it again in June in case they fail. I found it tougher than the NAPLEX and MPJE, while I aced those, I passed the compounding by 1 point (used regular ora-sweet instead of sugar free on a diabetic patient's compound, you had to specifically request the sugar free stuff from the proctor because it wasn't provided to you).

What a horror hahaha! I’ll remove NY from my list then, even though was a dream to be there :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Heh, they still pull that trick? There's others like that for the exam (my year was the eyedrops without sterile NS which was on the counter but not at the station). I actually DID NOT make the compound and marked that impossible as I had no sterile NS. That also was an acceptable answer. The compounding exam actually does test practical skill which is quite a different beast than the sitdowns. And yes, I agree that was challenging under performance pressure.

Heh, they still pull that trick? There's others like that for the exam (my year was the eyedrops without sterile NS which was on the counter but not at the station). I actually DID NOT make the compound and marked that impossible as I had no sterile NS. That also was an acceptable answer. The compounding exam actually does test practical skill which is quite a different beast than the sitdowns. And yes, I agree that was challenging under performance pressure.

One proctor actually told me, "I should have you make that compound again, you were dripping sweat all over the cream."

If you're still in school, you can take the January one as long as you have intern hours (outside of the require rotation hours). I believe they required 1000 hours but I don't remember anymore. If you're already working as an intern while in school, just have your employer sign off that you did the hours and mail it in along with your application. Now, if you're all study and no work. Tough luck. :/

I think Long Island University hosts a compounding exam prep class, but it costs a decent amount of $. Good luck!