This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm curious about the BCPM GPA. I understand that it is Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics but do Psychology courses count as well? I am a Neuroscience major, so naturally I have to take a lot of upper division Bios and Psychs. But I'm wondering because I am doing well in these Neuro courses, but will they not go towards my science GPA? I don't think I will be taking any more mathematics courses but I was wondering how they would go towards my science GPA? I find it surprising that Psych doesn't go towards the sGPA because, these Psych courses are very interrelated with the Bio courses. Please let me know. Thank you. I appreciate everyone's time.

Members don't see this ad.

No, psychology courses will be classified under Behavior and Social Sciences which will go towards your cGPA and not your sGPA.

upload_2018-2-26_13-37-15.png

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I'm curious about the BCPM GPA. I understand that it is Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics but do Psychology courses count as well? I am a Neuroscience major, so naturally I have to take a lot of upper division Bios and Psychs. But I'm wondering because I am doing well in these Neuro courses, but will they not go towards my science GPA? I don't think I will be taking any more mathematics courses but I was wondering how they would go towards my science GPA? I find it surprising that Psych doesn't go towards the sGPA because, these Psych courses are very interrelated with the Bio courses. Please let me know. Thank you. I appreciate everyone's time.
Definitely, I had a bunch of my neuroscience-y psych classes marked as BIO and thus counted towards my sGPA. When you apply through AMCAS, you have the option of deciding which category your psych courses will fall under. For the more science-y psych courses, I'd mark them under the BIOL category. The worst that can happen is that AMCAS will re-classify them to BESS.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely, I had a bunch of my neuroscience-y psych classes marked as BIO and thus counted towards my sGPA. When you apply through AMCAS, you have the option of deciding which category your psych courses will fall under. For the more science-y psych courses, I'd recommend marking them as BIO courses. The worst that can happen is that AMCAS will re-classify them to BESS.

Yeah. It makes sense because sure these are classified as “Neuro psych” courses but??? They go into a crap ton of Biology. I’ll definitey do that. It ducks c most of the Neuro courses are upper division Psychs but now it sucks that they’re not going towards my sGPA bc im doing well in them lol. It’s fine. I plan to take some more upper division Bio courses anyway haha

Oh also, there’s a Stats course I took but it falls under a Psych category. But it’s an upper division Stats. That should go towards my sGPA right?!

Yeah. It makes sense because sure these are classified as “Neuro psych” courses but??? They go into a crap ton of Biology. I’ll definitey do that. It ducks c most of the Neuro courses are upper division Psychs but now it sucks that they’re not going towards my sGPA bc im doing well in them lol. It’s fine. I plan to take some more upper division Bio courses anyway haha
Cool, then definitely classify them under the BIOL category when you apply.
Oh also, there’s a Stats course I took but it falls under a Psych category. But it’s an upper division Stats. That should go towards my sGPA right?!
Yup I did the same thing, I marked a psych stats course I took under the MATH category and it wasn't changed, so it counted toward my sGPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Cool, then definitely classify them under the BIOL category when you apply.

Yup I did the same thing, I marked a psych stats course I took under the MATH category and it wasn't changed, so it counted toward my sGPA.

awesome. I guess Sociology doesn't count. That's fine I got a B+ in it anyway lol. It also has a corresponding lab with it that I'm also gonna count in the sGPA. What about interdisciplinary studies? I'm taking a course that is designed for premeds. It is an upper division course but an easy ass A.

yes - technically it's the course content that determines its category. stats classes in psych department count as BCPM, but "nutrition" classes in the bio department are NOT BCPM

yes - technically it's the course content that determines its category. stats classes in psych department count as BCPM, but "nutrition" classes in the bio department are NOT BCPM

Ok thank you for clearing that up. I got an A in that stats exam :)