Continue Volunteering after an Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschoolready95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I still have to continue volunteering at the places I listed in my application if I have been accepted? Does the school I've been accepted to expect that I continue my volunteer work? Asking because I don't enjoy my volunteer position and don't feel like I'm benefiting anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Do I still have to continue volunteering at the places I listed in my application if I have been accepted? Does the school I've been accepted to expect that I continue my volunteer work? Asking because I don't enjoy my volunteer position and don't feel like I'm benefiting anyone.
Congrats on your acceptance!:soexcited:and congrats on quitting that volunteer position you hate so much! Seriously tho, you can stop.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you didn't project yet-to-be-completed volunteer hours through a future date on your AMCAS application, feel free to stop the activity.

Reactions: 2 users
If you didn't project yet-to-be-completed volunteer hours through a future date on your AMCAS application, feel free to stop the activity.
Neuroticism at 9000.

If I projected hours, I have to complete them? Are schools really gonna call people up to verify volunteer hours after already having accepted me?

Neuroticism at 9000.

If I projected hours, I have to complete them? Are schools really gonna call people up to verify volunteer hours after already having accepted me?
Isn't it logical that med schools would wait to validate some key activities until after matriculation so as to conserve resources? Why do it sooner when you're not sure who's going to show up due to last minute wait-list movement?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! If it isn's something you genuinely enjoy, then quit it. Just try to be nice about it and not quit so abruptly. Give a 2 week notice like you would with other jobs.

As a side note, I moved to another state after completing my post-bacc. I applied to a couple hospitals for volunteering. One of them was a small community hospital and another was a top university hospital that I'm guessing was full of pre-meds. I was able to continue with the small community hospital, but the top university hospital was full. Many months later I received an email from the coordinator at the university hospital asking if I was still interested in volunteering. This was during the time when medical schools started accepting people, thus the mass quitting of entry-level clinical jobs and ECs.

There is a mass exodus during this time. As long as your volunteer work was verifiable based on your application, no one is going to check or care. Enjoy this time while you can!

Reactions: 1 users