This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cameraGEEK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about taking a job at the VA, does anyone know if things are even negotiable with employment at the VA? I have not yet seen the contract, but I am wondering if it worth getting a contract lawyer. What things are negotiable with them?

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking about taking a job at the VA, does anyone know if things are even negotiable with employment at the VA? I have not yet seen the contract, but I am wondering if it worth getting a contract lawyer. What things are negotiable with them?

Generally salary will be the only thing that is negotiable and even then probably not. I doubt there are any predatory terms (eg medmal, non-compete) in the contract you would need a lawyer to negotiate on. If the contract spells out service requirement that will need to be to your liking.

Generally it’s non-negotiatable. If I recall, the offer comes from a panel of docs who work at the VA you’re applying to, so you’re not negotiating with one individual.