Cooking Challenge v3.0: Olympics

Started by Trilt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4 days old and a little soggy.
Funny you should mention that! So I'm really bad about textures. I will not eat soggy salads. They make me nauseous. So because of that, I would never pack salads for lunch because it's too hard to keep everything separate.

But my mom got me this container from bed bath & beyond and it's a to go salad bowl with separate compartments for everything, including a 1.18 ounce screw cap jar for dressings, their own fork and knife, and it's my favorite color!!! I'm happy! Now, I can make salads for lunch during school and not want to die. Once I can actually start chewing salads (maybe next Wed?) I look forward to giving it a try!

IMG_3385.JPG
IMG_3386.JPG
 
Funny you should mention that! So I'm really bad about textures. I will not eat soggy salads. They make me nauseous. So because of that, I would never pack salads for lunch because it's too hard to keep everything separate.

But my mom got me this container from bed bath & beyond and it's a to go salad bowl with separate compartments for everything, including a 1.18 ounce screw cap jar for dressings, their own fork and knife, and it's my favorite color!!! I'm happy! Now, I can make salads for lunch during school and not want to die. Once I can actually start chewing salads (maybe next Wed?) I look forward to giving it a try!

View attachment 222384 View attachment 222385

I have the same one! And a wholeee bunch more sistema containers...

I can't contain myself in the container store.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I made chicken salad and potato salad but still fail at posting pictures 😛 I'm sure if I actually wanted to go through some trouble it wouldn't be all that hard, but on my list of things to give a crap about it's not very high lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't have a picture of it, but I've been making a lot of protein pudding as my quick bedtime snack. Doubt brand matters too much as long as it's casein protein, but I mixed like a heaping scooped of Ascent Chocolate Casein protein with I dunno, maybe like 1/2 - 3/4 cup unflavored/unsweetened almond and just put in the fridge for a bit. 20 minutes later, you've got healthy pudding!
 
Further cooking escapades (a.k.a. use up last week's CSA box before I leave on vacation): corn chowder with chile, lime and cotija
This was super good. I'll probably eat one more serving and freeze the rest in the interest of making (and consuming) more of the inordinate amount of veggies I have currently. And I get another box Wednesday before I leave, which will have to get quickly frozen before my departure.
 
Further cooking escapades (a.k.a. use up last week's CSA box before I leave on vacation): corn chowder with chile, lime and cotija
This was super good. I'll probably eat one more serving and freeze the rest in the interest of making (and consuming) more of the inordinate amount of veggies I have currently. And I get another box Wednesday before I leave, which will have to get quickly frozen before my departure.

I loooove corn chowder 😍
 
Those look divine! Can you share your recipe?
I like this site for cupcakes: Your Cup of Cake. They start with a boxed cake mix and then add other stuff from there to make them fancier. I've made these raspberry lemonade ones several times, blackberry lemonade, a couple variations of chocolate ones, and a peanut butter M&M one. My mom made some cookies and cream ones from there I think too. I like this recipe for the raspberry frosting because it uses crushed freeze dried raspberries for the flavor instead of artificial flavorings. It keeps it more tart than some of the premade frosting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For once I had no 8am class, so I made myself banana-chocolate chip pancakes after sleeping in until like 6:30. I made enough that I'd have leftovers for tomorrow! Then I ate them all instead.
Sounds delicious!

Hey @strider144 why didn't you make any banana-chocolate chip pancakes for the rest of us?
pancakes.png
 
For once I had no 8am class, so I made myself banana-chocolate chip pancakes after sleeping in until like 6:30. I made enough that I'd have leftovers for tomorrow! Then I ate them all instead.
🤣 I have class at 8 am everyday and get up at 6:45! But I also have just a 5-10 minute drive to school, I shower at night, and I don't eat breakfast.
 
Yeah I have to be at work by 8 so I roll out of bed about 7:15, leave the house by 7:35, and get there about 5 minutes early. Mornings when I need to shower before work instead of the night before I get up about 6:50 so there's time to dry my hair.
 
Bump. After a hectic few weeks I'm trying to get back into the cooking thing (and maybe get rid of the extra pounds that have suddenly started following me around 🙁 ).

Just finished a shrimp and veggie stir fry with old bay seasoning

ImageUploadedBySDN1505177433.990193.jpg
 
Here are some photos of baby back ribs "tailgating" at my home.

First, I marinated the rack of ribs in a pan of seasoned beer to tenderize them (2 hours in 350F oven).

Then, I placed them on a hot charcoal grill for around 15 minutes, and basted them with barbecue sauce, until slightly charred.

ribs1.JPG
ribs2.JPG
ribs3.JPG
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Today I was eating Cheetos around 1:30-2pm. A resident from another service is on with us this week and she saw me eating them. Then she asked what I had for lunch. I had to awkwardly say..."uh, these Cheetos?" But the choices were a gross lean cuisine type meal I have had in the fridge for months and have been avoiding or eat the same amount of calories in Cheetos. So Cheetos won. Maybe not the healthiest, but I don't regret it. I'm having a home made chicken burrito bowl with lots of lettuce for dinner so I'm making up for it.
 
No pictures, but I went tailgating before a concert this weekend! Old Bay shrimp, and crab dip all cooked over a portable mini proprane grill. With a side of potato salad And alcohol, of course. It was wonderful!