-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cooking Challenge v3.0: Olympics
Started by Trilt
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Am I allowed to just post beer(...s) for Oktoberfest?![]()
It doesn't have to be super detailed, difficult or super on topic - be creative, the point is to just get you trying out some new things! Your mind is your limit, I'll never yell at anyone for being off-theme. 😀 (Also, drinks, desserts, barely food related items are all acceptable... just try something new).
Isn't that the main point of Oktoberfest?!Am I allowed to just post beer(...s) for Oktoberfest?![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You missed Oktoberfest week 😳Am I allowed to just post beer(...s) for Oktoberfest?![]()
It's only a week? I thought October was a monthYou missed Oktoberfest week 😳
Oh heck yeah. Did you see what this week’s challenge is???You missed Oktoberfest week 😳
SALT.
SKI THIS IS OUR WEEK.
YAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSOh heck yeah. Did you see what this week’s challenge is???
SALT.
SKI THIS IS OUR WEEK.
![]()
![]()
![]()
It is for the Reddit food week challenges 😛It's only a week? I thought October was a month
SO SALTY.
updated. 😉
updated. 😉
Food Challenge: SALT.
Raw Steaks on Charcoal Grill: Top Sirloin, Tri Tip and Flat Iron Steak Sprinkled with Two Types of Seasoned SALT.
Cooked Steaks Off the Grill (medium-rare). We already ate the Top Sirloin Steak.
Raw Steaks on Charcoal Grill: Top Sirloin, Tri Tip and Flat Iron Steak Sprinkled with Two Types of Seasoned SALT.
Cooked Steaks Off the Grill (medium-rare). We already ate the Top Sirloin Steak.
Last edited:
I feel like I should make some salt and pepper tofu just for the contrast lol.
Salty Balls and Thighs:
Heat peanut oil in skillet.
Cut chicken thighs into bite-size pieces and toss with pink Himalayan SALT.
Saute chicken thighs until browned.
Cut fresh brussels sprouts into quarters.
Add brussels sprouts to skillet and cook until just green.
(usually I leave them raw, but decided I wanted a little less crunch.)
The recipe name made me laugh, so thank you.View attachment 224373
Salty Balls and Thighs:
Heat peanut oil in skillet.
Cut chicken thighs into bite-size pieces and toss with pink Himalayan SALT.
Saute chicken thighs until browned.
Cut fresh brussels sprouts into quarters.
Add brussels sprouts to skillet and cook until just green.
(usually I leave them raw, but decided I wanted a little less crunch.)
That sounds like a really polite way of saying I eat some weird stuff. 😛The recipe name made me laugh, so thank you.
I bought 3 pounds of fresh brussels sprouts earlier this week, and I've been in heaven.
No no, you just name your dishes funny thingsThat sounds like a really polite way of saying I eat some weird stuff. 😛
I bought 3 pounds of fresh brussels sprouts earlier this week, and I've been in heaven.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was going to make Sweaty Salty Balls and Thighs tonight (add garlic and cumin), but I accidentally grabbed the curry instead of cumin. So now it's Curried Salty Balls and Thighs, which doesn't quiet have the same ring to it but is still very tasty.No no, you just name your dishes funny things![]()
Apparently this week's theme according to Reddit is Handheld Foods, but I just made pancakes for dinner. Pancakes aren't something I ever really eat but for some reason I woke up from a nap craving them. I made a little bacon too, since it was on sale at Publix this week.
Dangit, I skipped casserole week. 😢
Ooooo I made tacosApparently this week's theme according to Reddit is Handheld Foods
One day I'm just going to make all of the themes i missed and make one big post.
I wanted to make grilled cheese for dinner tonight and post it here for handheld week but @Trilt is trying to tell me it's cheating because "it's grilled cheese."
I wanted to make grilled cheese for dinner tonight and post it here for handheld week but @Trilt is trying to tell me it's cheating because "it's grilled cheese."
But grilled cheese is delicious. @SkiOtter will agree.
Ha, I even said "I bet Ski would agree with me!"But grilled cheese is delicious. @SkiOtter will agree.
I wanted to make grilled cheese for dinner tonight and post it here for handheld week but @Trilt is trying to tell me it's cheating because "it's grilled cheese."
But grilled cheese is delicious. @SkiOtter will agree.
I wholeheartedly agree.Ha, I even said "I bet Ski would agree with me!"
I had a tuna fish sandwich. That means hubby made dinner. I would have made tuna melts. (Love cheese!)
Made avocado banana chocolate chip muffins. They're okay. What I've learned is that I suck at making muffins. Followed the instructions but they're a little on the dry side. Not sure if it's cause I overmixed,under mixed (I don't have a blender so had to handmash the avocado), overbaked or if they just need more honey. They're edible though.
No pics but I made spicy chicken/squash tostadas last night!
It was originally a fancy blue apron recipe but ain’t nobody got time for that, so I took their ingredients and did my own thing
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It was originally a fancy blue apron recipe but ain’t nobody got time for that, so I took their ingredients and did my own thing
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think overmixing and overbaking are two of the top reasons why muffins get sad. Overmixing usually makes them more dense and not light and floofy though versus too dry, but overbaking definitely can lead to some sad, dry muffins. I always bake things for a little less than the recipe time and start checking them with a toothpickMade avocado banana chocolate chip muffins. They're okay. What I've learned is that I suck at making muffins. Followed the instructions but they're a little on the dry side. Not sure if it's cause I overmixed,under mixed (I don't have a blender so had to handmash the avocado), overbaked or if they just need more honey. They're edible though.
I have the insides for handheld pot pies (I'm blanking on the cute British term) alll done as of last night. Refrigerating and baking tonight, aren't y'all proud of me actually doing my own challenges? 😉
I have the insides for handheld pot pies (I'm blanking on the cute British term) alll done as of last night. Refrigerating and baking tonight, aren't y'all proud of me actually doing my own challenges? 😉
Do you mean pasties, like Cornish pasties? I love making those
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if anyone wants blue apron to try, I have boxes. I have to say...it's much easier than me trying to meal plan
I might even start participating in this thread now that we cook almost every night (instead of making easy food like sandwiches or hot dogs when we get particularly lazy)
I might even start participating in this thread now that we cook almost every night (instead of making easy food like sandwiches or hot dogs when we get particularly lazy)
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Literally exact sameI had a tuna fish sandwich. That means hubby made dinner. I would have made tuna melts. (Love cheese!)
But I was promised a tuna melt and what I was handed was not a melt, so I was very confused.
I also have free Blue Apron box codes I can send people, if dy runs out! Or I can send you a code for $40 off your first Hello Fresh delivery (normal cost is $60 for 3 meals for 2 people). I like both companies, Blue Apron seems to have better quality produce, but Hello Fresh's recipes tend to be less out there, which is nice sometimes.
I think overmixing and overbaking are two of the top reasons why muffins get sad. Overmixing usually makes them more dense and not light and floofy though versus too dry, but overbaking definitely can lead to some sad, dry muffins. I always bake things for a little less than the recipe time and start checking them with a toothpick
But how are you supposed to mix in all the flour without overmixing??? And i definitely should just start setting the timer for earlier. I've been burned before by that one and should know better.
Yes! that lol.Do you mean pasties, like Cornish pasties? I love making those
Usually you just mix until the big clumps are gone, little ones are okay.But how are you supposed to mix in all the flour without overmixing??? And i definitely should just start setting the timer for earlier. I've been burned before by that one and should know better.
Or if you really don't want clumps, you can add all your dry ingredients to a sifter (or mesh strainer if you don't have one) and sift them in. No clumps and should make them fluffier.
Look guys, I did a thing!
I, well, looked at this recipe while making them. But store bought crusts, frozen veggies, fake beef chunks and really it was just more inspiration than a real followed recipe. 😛
This week is pumpkin. I have two adorable little acorn squashes staring at me from my produce box and I think those will count, right? 🙂
i would think so! pumpkin's a squash anyway so close enoughThis week is pumpkin. I have two adorable little acorn squashes staring at me from my produce box and I think those will count, right? 🙂
Wut? Not sure how I feel about the sounds of that.Mmm I should make pumpkin ziti.
Late to posting for last week's handheld foods party, but I made a bunch of french toast sticks to freeze and they're rly good
Have you never had pumpkin in savory stuff? It's basically like a tomato based ziti, but instead of a tomato sauce mixed with the ricotta, it's a pumpkin base seasoned with garlic, sage, thyme and some other spices. It's super good!Wut? Not sure how I feel about the sounds of that.
Ok, I can see that. My first thought was that it was a pumpkin and tomato sauce and that sounded weird. I have a squash/leek lasagna recipe that is pretty good, and I could see them being similar.Have you never had pumpkin in savory stuff? It's basically like a tomato based ziti, but instead of a tomato sauce mixed with the ricotta, it's a pumpkin base seasoned with garlic, sage, thyme and some other spices. It's super good!
Oh god, no. Tomato and pumpkin mixed sounds horrid 😕Ok, I can see that. My first thought was that it was a pumpkin and tomato sauce and that sounded weird. I have a squash/leek lasagna recipe that is pretty good, and I could see them being similar.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ooh, I got stuff yesterday to make pumpkin muffins, I might actually participate in a theme for once!
Oh god, no. Tomato and pumpkin mixed sounds horrid 😕
Pumpkin spice maybe. Pumpkin is mostly flavorless cellulose with a lot of beta carotene in the mix. Basically a fiber sponge that takes on the flavor of everything else around it. This I learned, eating my way through the pumpkin foods at the local pumpkin festival.
This challenge came a week too late; I made pumpkin cheesecake last week for a potluck. Didn't get any photos though so I can't even post a delayed photo. 🙁
I made gluten free pumpkin pancakes yesterday am, from a box mix, does that count?
My residentmate made pumpkin cookies and I figure that counts.
