Cornell Applicants c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

equineconstant

Purple & Gold 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us braving the infamous supplemental and applying to Cornell.

Got your LORs for everything? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm braving it. :p I can reuse some of the same eLORs as last year, so that makes things easier. Of course, I'll have new ones for anyone that I've spent more time with.

Do you happen to know what to put for a major with a non-degree school (only went there for summer classes)? I would guess to leave it blank, but I don't want something to go wrong because I "forgot" that bit... :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you happen to know what to put for a major with a non-degree school (only went there for summer classes)? I would guess to leave it blank, but I don't want something to go wrong because I "forgot" that bit... :scared:

Last cycle when I applied, I believe I either left the "major" part blank and under the "degree" part I put Non-degree. They usually understand that non-degree students generally don't have a major so I think you should be fine.

Last cycle when I applied, I believe I either left the "major" part blank and under the "degree" part I put Non-degree. They usually understand that non-degree students generally don't have a major so I think you should be fine.

Great, that's what I was going to do anyway. Just wanted to double check. Thanks!

I'm considering braving this one too but soo not sure yet. That supplemental app looks a little scary, especially with all of those letters :/

Has anyone applied here before?

I'm considering braving this one too but soo not sure yet. That supplemental app looks a little scary, especially with all of those letters :/

Has anyone applied here before?

I applied last cycle, so I know how daunting it can seem. I know its long, but if you do a dry one first (print off the blank one and fill it out first) and take it one section at a time its not so bad.

yeah I guess it's worth a shot. Still trying to think if my GPA is good enough (cumulative is around 3.73, last 45 hours are near a 4.0, and my science (depending on the calculation) is probably 3.5ish). I've taken a heavy course-load of around 18 hours per semester and some summer classes. I have a major in Animal Science and Minor in Chemistry so I've taken several science classes each semester.

I took the GRE a few months ago and didn't do too well because I did not prepare for it as much (58% percentile) and am retaking it in August and expect to do much better since I'm preparing. I know Cornell has heavy emphasis on academics so a good GRE score is important.

I have about 1000 hours of veterinary experience, but only 3 that are "meaningful" according to Cornell's standards for their supplement. about 500 with a small animal vet, about 100 with a large animal vet, and about 200 so far with wildlife. I have some hours from other practices/vets that I did briefly (like ~50 hours each) and it was a few years ago. My animal experience hours are around 800 and consist of large animal farm work, volunteer zookeeper, wildlife rehabilitation, caring for laboratory rats, and equine rescue. I also studied abroad in South Africa for a few weeks last summer.

I still don't have all the pre-reqs for Cornell though class wise (like Orgo II lab, my school doesn't offer it for non-majors). Physics II I'm taking this fall. And my biochem class was only worth 3 hours but I saw on their website that if you have more orgo hours than what is required ( I have 10 hours of credit in organic chemistry which is 1 lab, Orgo I, and Orgo II) so I think that might take care of my biochem.

So, still deciding if I stand a chance at Cornell as an OOS applicant.

I will be glancing at this thread from time to time so feel free to ask for advice on your apps, vent, etc.

You can also shoot me a PM if you'd like and I'll try to read it/get back quickly. Currently doing research at Cornell for the summer before starting my DVM in August. It's true: Ithaca IS Gorges :D

I will be glancing at this thread from time to time so feel free to ask for advice on your apps, vent, etc.

You can also shoot me a PM if you'd like and I'll try to read it/get back quickly. Currently doing research at Cornell for the summer before starting my DVM in August. It's true: Ithaca IS Gorges :D

Thank you! I'm still tallying up all my stats to decide exactly where else to apply and I'll probably be coming to you for advice.

The research sounds exciting! I'm helping a grad student with a nutrition research study this summer. What are your veterinary interests/research is about? If you don't mind me asking.

I'm working with a bacterial genotoxin and studying its effects on the production of specific molecules (cytokines) during cellular senescence. My interest in vet med is directed towards infectious diseases and this toxin is produced by several clinically important Gram-negative pathogens and may play a role in the development of several GI pathologies including colon cancer.

My second interest is hitting up all the watering holes (read: bars) in Ithaca for trivia night/happy hour/etc when I'm not in lab. Things to look forward to

Reactions: 1 user
I should really work on these essays, but I don't know what I want to talk about for any of them...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm attempting to work on the essays now. Not enjoying them. :lame:

Sorry for double post, but...

For the "most significant animal/veterinary experience" section on the supplemental, it says things like "work setting" and "hours worked." "Experience" doesn't necessarily mean employment/internship/volunteering, right? I want to use my riding experience taking lessons with my trainer, who is writing me a recommendation. This is definitely animal experience, but not in any way work, so is it still okay to use as one of my "most significant"?

Is this a supplemental that has to be completed in one sitting? (I've only went through the
application worksheet so far)

when you do the supplemental, you create an account and can save it and return as often as you want before you complete it.

when you do the supplemental, you create an account and can save it and return as often as you want before you complete it.

:thumbup: There is too much of it to be done in one sitting (at least IMO).

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't like VMCVM

What is everyone doing for the required courses portion of the supplemental? Are you only putting in the classes that fill the requirements, or are you putting in every class that falls under "biology"? It doesn't seem to need more than the requirement fillers, so I wasn't going to put anything more, but there are like 5 blanks for everything and you only need at most 2 classes for each...

My second interest is hitting up all the watering holes (read: bars) in Ithaca for trivia night/happy hour/etc when I'm not in lab. Things to look forward to

just saw this Bismarck- why am I not surprised?

Sorry for double post, but...

For the "most significant animal/veterinary experience" section on the supplemental, it says things like "work setting" and "hours worked." "Experience" doesn't necessarily mean employment/internship/volunteering, right? I want to use my riding experience taking lessons with my trainer, who is writing me a recommendation. This is definitely animal experience, but not in any way work, so is it still okay to use as one of my "most significant"?

I emailed Cornell and they said it was fine. Just in case anyone else happened to be worrying about that.

If anyone has any questions about the course setup, problem based learning, or other school specific stuff I would be happy to answer. I start my second year on Monday, but I can tell you quite a bit about what to expect in your first year!

Do you guys know if we can submit the Supplemental without all the Cornell specific letters in. One of my evaluators told me it was on his radar to do before Oct. 16th and I'd prefer not to wait until then to submit. If I submit the supplemental today and he fills out the LOR tomorrow, is it processed?

Do you guys know if we can submit the Supplemental without all the Cornell specific letters in. One of my evaluators told me it was on his radar to do before Oct. 16th and I'd prefer not to wait until then to submit. If I submit the supplemental today and he fills out the LOR tomorrow, is it processed?

I submitted all my supplementals, including Cornell, before I did my VMCAS. So I can vouch that VMCAS letters can definitely be processed after the supplemental is in. I didn't have any Cornell-specific letters, but I would assume they would still work. You can always call and ask.

I really hope they don't have a record of how many times we check the tracking page... otherwise they're going to think I'm a crazy person!

How exactly does Cornell decide academic rigor point values? Is it based on school reputation or course load?

How exactly does Cornell decide academic rigor point values? Is it based on school reputation or course load?

"Factors considered in giving this bonus are: enrolling in a challenging curriculum, carrying a full course load to completion, and exceeding minimum pre-veterinary course requirements."

Taken from the pre-req page. Full course loads are 13-15 semester credits I'm guessing, with work/vol to boot.

Everything submitted and received by schools accept this supp. :D should I be too concerned with how I estimate the percentage of time spent on each duty? If I just pick the top five or so duties and equal the time spent on each to 100% that's adequate? I feel like it's hard to put a "percent" on things.

Sorry if this is an "over thinking it" question

Everything submitted and received by schools accept this supp. :D should I be too concerned with how I estimate the percentage of time spent on each duty? If I just pick the top five or so duties and equal the time spent on each to 100% that's adequate? I feel like it's hard to put a "percent" on things.

Sorry if this is an "over thinking it" question

Yeah, I was definitely over thinking it too. Eventually I just gave up and figured CLOSE ENOUGH.

Thanks for offering your insights. I just submitted the supplemental a few days ago. What are your overall thoughts on PBL so far? Love it? Regret it? Did you have a good idea that PBL would be a good fit for you before you started?

Also, with regard to these watering holes Bismark speaks of... Ithaca seems a bit isolated, but I've only visited briefly several years ago. Are you pretty happy with life outside working/studying (assuming there is one)?

@Nate: I came in knowing PBL was a good format for developing critical thinking skills as it teaches/trains you to hone in on what is important for managing a case. I know some of my classmates don't have awesome relationships with their tutor groups, but the process is largely what you make of it (and it takes a few cases/tutors before you hit your stride too.) There will be a mock tutorial session at admitted students weekend so you can get a taste of the format though it's nothing quite like the real thing.

As far as watering holes/socialization: I obviously have less free time than I did July/August, but joining the veterinary fraternity (Omega Tau Sigma) is a good way to meet other socially-minded people, hang out, and shoot the **** over a few beers, etc now and then. I probably study 3-5 hours a day after classes to keep up with courseload though this number will be going up in the next 2.5 weeks as we approach the final exam and sprint through the thoracic/pelvic limbs.

Overall, I am happy with my decision to attend Cornell as I had many other offers (and some cheaper too!) but I feel that opportunities/faculty/experience here will make me the best veterinarian I can be.

Has anyone been to their admissions presentation and tour? I am going to the one tomorrow and I was just wondering if it is a big group thing? Should I dress business casual (thats my plan)?
I've been to Ithaca before because my undergrad is in the same league as IC for athletics but I have yet to venture to Cornell's campus or explored too much. My friend from Rochester is coming on the tour with me and we got a hotel room and are planning on going out tomorrow night, she loves Ithaca so I guess she will act as the cruise director for the evening lol. Any suggestions for "must sees" either at Cornell or in Ithaca?

I would wear clothing that is comfortable and presentable. When I did it previously it was a presentation, student panel, and student-led tour.

As for places to go, I like to drink at Bandwagon Brewpub on the commons as they brew their own beer (small batch) and you can get a flight (4-5oz sample of 5 beers) for $8 (and throw in a tip too). They also make some pretty good cocktails/food and the menu changes every day.

If you're looking for more of a club/college bar, check out Dunbar's or Level B (right across the street) in Collegetown later on in the evening (post 10:30pm). No idea what schedule the Cornell undergrads are on though.

Was going to recommend taking a hike through the plantations as fall foliage is peaking this weekend more or less, but the weather is looking like low 40s and rain for tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your advice Bismarck! The Bandwagon Brewpub was really good and the beer was surprisingly tasty too. I had never heard of it before :) We played a couple of games of pool at a dive bar by Bandwagon and then checked out those two college bars but didn't stay too long... wandered down the hill to the chapter house. The weather held out so we hiked a bunch and took lots of pictures. Overall a good adventure.

The presentation helped me understand the admissions process a little better. Jennifer Mailey was the presenter. I spoke to her after my tour and she really is very nice. She even grabbed my file to check if they had a specific letter from my school (when I asked her if there was a way to confirm it was there).
I was a bit disappointed because 3 colics came in and cut off the pathway to the large animal barns so the tour didn't cover that. The small animal hospital looked pretty standard and the study room/dry lab with the stations was cool. The room where you guys dissect your dogs wasn't too impressive. But I like the idea that you rotate dogs during the process. Makes sense so you don't get too comfortable.
The campus was beautiful and we even wandered through the art museum. Cool stuff, I like that Cornell has such a rich history.
I am in state for Cornell so if I get accepted it is pretty darn likely that is where I will end up next year (fingers crossed).
Just a question... How are the tour guides picked? Does each student need to give X amount of tours?

Just some stats for people that I remember: Applicant pool avg GPA: 3.51, Avg accepted GPA: 3.75 and then I remember the avg accepted GRE for Q-89% and the V was 70 or 80 something.
Also, I asked how the 25% of the admissions formula for GPA is calculated. Sooooo it is all of your classes (undergrad and grad) and they take all the applicants and put them in order and then assign a percentage based on where you rank in the applicant pool.

Do any of you happen to know how long it took for the tracking page to update after your recommendations were submitted? I know that they are having to manually input a lot of the tracking page, but I didn't know if that part might be automated since it's an e-submission.

I am freaking out because the tracking page still says that two of my recommenders haven't submitted, and I have already sent them reminders (two last week, one on Friday), so I don't want to badger them, but obviously the deadline is tomorrow, and neither of them has responded to say that it has been done. Blergh!

@Throwmeabone: don't knock that anatomy room as more than three quarters of the living alumni (my estimate) have passed through that room since the vet school moved to its current location in the late 1950s (CSB: quite a few of them stopped by during the NYS Vet Conference last month to poke around in the lab while I was doing anatomy review and waxed nostalgic.) As the class expansion project is starting (to be totally done by Fall 2016) there will be new anatomy, cafeteria, classrooms, etc built in the future. Tour guides you met were second years (or above) and I think they get recruited via email.

@Awendala: You need to hold their feet to the fire on this. If they have submitted feel free to check with the office via phone call though they will likely say they are in the midst of tracking many apps.

Sorry! I didn't mean to knock the anatomy room. I was just trying to give my impression! Glad to know the history of the room :)

@Awendala: You need to hold their feet to the fire on this. If they have submitted feel free to check with the office via phone call though they will likely say they are in the midst of tracking many apps.

I feel like this made me into some sort of hysterical nagging monster. Neither one of them had submitted as of 10 this morning. (After I got both to promise to submit by last night.)

The last one submitted today at 11:15. I am just now getting over the adrenaline.

I had a close-call with a recommendation too, but everything is in! I'm very glad to be finished with that supplemental. :) Now the waiting game begins! Time to forget about it until the first week in January. Good luck to everyone! :xf:

Just some stats for people that I remember: Applicant pool avg GPA: 3.51, Avg accepted GPA: 3.75 and then I remember the avg accepted GRE for Q-89% and the V was 70 or 80 something.
Also, I asked how the 25% of the admissions formula for GPA is calculated. Sooooo it is all of your classes (undergrad and grad) and they take all the applicants and put them in order and then assign a percentage based on where you rank in the applicant pool.
Wow. All my hope just flew out the door. Well... good to be prepared. Sigh

Sorry for posting the soul crushing stats. Just figured you guys would wanna know. My GPA is on the lower end so I wanted to know how they calculate that 25%

Finally did the math. Found out from c/o 2016 stats I've a 3.1% chance of getting in oos. Prepared indeed!

Are you going by # OOS seats/# OOS applicants for this guesstimate?

Keep in mind that not every application is super-competitive (i.e. more of a hail mary) and that most schools make 2-3 offers per OOS seat as not everyone will accept their offer in lieu of going somewhere else (I met quite a few people at admitted students weekend who did so). Probably more realistic to think of the admissions process this way if it helps any.

Are you going by # OOS seats/# OOS applicants for this guesstimate?

Keep in mind that not every application is super-competitive (i.e. more of a hail mary) and that most schools make 2-3 offers per OOS seat as not everyone will accept their offer in lieu of going somewhere else (I met quite a few people at admitted students weekend who did so). Probably more realistic to think of the admissions process this way if it helps any.

I wondered how I got those numbers too, until I realized I had inadvertently swapped them with CSU's values. Cornell is a bit better at around 6.9%. #OOS seats/#OOS applicants, based on 2012 AAVMC data. Knowing the # of non-competitive apps out there would certainly help the anxiety, but what I value more are the # of OOS offers/seat as you suggested. Thanks for the input.