Cornell Applicants c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So definitely just realized I haven't done the "Dean's Certification of Good Standing" form that's supposed to be turned in by March 15th. Have any of you already done this? Are advisors included in someone able to fill out the form for you? None of my other acceptances have me do this so it all seems a little foreign to me. Haha.

Contact the registrar's office- mine said they could fill it out.

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the registrar's office- mine said they could fill it out.

Yeah I actually found the email for the dean of my college and she seemed super excited a student emailed her so I'm getting it signed today. But thanks! Glad I remembered! Haha.

Hey, guys,

As a first year Cornell student, I'd like to welcome you and congratulate you on your acceptance (or waitlist position! A good number of people in our class were initially alternates). Make sure you get all your paperwork in on time (especially financial aid!), as those deadlines are fast approaching.

A question for you all: Has the listserv been set up yet? I think I remember ours being set up around this time. You will soon be overwhelmed with tons of emails about housing, pet sitting opportunities, campus memos, among other things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't fully speak about the listserv, but I was told that it is only available after you have placed your deposit, so for those of us (like myself) who are waiting for financial aid packages from all schools before making a final decision, we wouldn't be on it until maybe April 15th, at the rate I'm going at least.

To my knowledge, the listserv has not been created for our class yet. I sent my deposit in a while ago. There are about 40 people in the Cornell c/o 2017 facebook group (although a few of those people are from other years and wanted to post about housing). Jennifer Mailey said they wouldn't send out listserv info until the class was at least half full (50+).

Hey, guys,

As a first year Cornell student, I'd like to welcome you and congratulate you on your acceptance (or waitlist position! A good number of people in our class were initially alternates). Make sure you get all your paperwork in on time (especially financial aid!), as those deadlines are fast approaching.

A question for you all: Has the listserv been set up yet? I think I remember ours being set up around this time. You will soon be overwhelmed with tons of emails about housing, pet sitting opportunities, campus memos, among other things.

Usually someone in student services sends an email out to all of the other classes (2014-16) once the incoming class's listserv has been established. I'm guessing they will do the same this year.

I just received a call today...Accepted! I'm considering whether or not take the offer (I only have until Monday - no pressure or anything...), but I wanted to post this news to give hope to the other alternates...they haven't forgotten about us :)

I just received a call today...Accepted! I'm considering whether or not take the offer (I only have until Monday - no pressure or anything...), but I wanted to post this news to give hope to the other alternates...they haven't forgotten about us :)

Congrats Horses!!!! Good luck with your decision! DId you get to visit Cornell?

Congrats Horses!!!! Good luck with your decision! DId you get to visit Cornell?

Thank you!! I did - and I have to wonder whether that influenced my spot on the waitlist. I also went there as an undergrad, so I'm very familiar with Ithaca. Thing is, I'm out of state, and I was accepted at my in-state...I still can't quite believe my luck that I have a choice to make. I see from the acceptances thread that you are also OOS - may I ask what influenced your choice to pick Cornell?

Thank you!! I did - and I have to wonder whether that influenced my spot on the waitlist. I also went there as an undergrad, so I'm very familiar with Ithaca. Thing is, I'm out of state, and I was accepted at my in-state...I still can't quite believe my luck that I have a choice to make. I see from the acceptances thread that you are also OOS - may I ask what influenced your choice to pick Cornell?

Ya no problem! I'd say in general it was the feeling I got-I just didn't feel like my in-state would be a good fit (I was also missing some pre-reqs so that it made it easier). Cornell felt right; the students were all friendly and so smart, but also seemed like they still had fun and hung out with each other. I liked that everything was so centrally located. I'm potentially interested in international and wildlife-so the expanding horizons program is so crazy cool. I'm also pretty research focused (at least right now), and the fact that you can get course credit for research also appeals to me. Early clinical exposure-stories of lamb and alpaca wrangling sound awesome! There are many other reasons-but those are the main ones. I know it's not a huge help because you probably won't know until after Monday-but the financial aid is pretty good at Cornell and could help lower the financial burden (although probably not to IS levels).

Ya no problem! I'd say in general it was the feeling I got-I just didn't feel like my in-state would be a good fit (I was also missing some pre-reqs so that it made it easier). Cornell felt right; the students were all friendly and so smart, but also seemed like they still had fun and hung out with each other. I liked that everything was so centrally located. I'm potentially interested in international and wildlife-so the expanding horizons program is so crazy cool. I'm also pretty research focused (at least right now), and the fact that you can get course credit for research also appeals to me. Early clinical exposure-stories of lamb and alpaca wrangling sound awesome! There are many other reasons-but those are the main ones. I know it's not a huge help because you probably won't know until after Monday-but the financial aid is pretty good at Cornell and could help lower the financial burden (although probably not to IS levels).

Thank you! I appreciate your input :)

Congrats!! and good luck with your decision :)

Hello everyone! I was accepted to Cornell, yesterday! I was all set to go to Tufts, but now I am on the fence. Any advice? The costs are comparable...Tufts doesn't do much in the way of IS resident tuition breaks, unfortunately. Please help!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I was accepted to Cornell, yesterday! I was all set to go to Tufts, but now I am on the fence. Any advice? The costs are comparable...Tufts doesn't do much in the way of IS resident tuition breaks, unfortunately. Please help!!

Congrats on your acceptance! What area of vet med are you interested in? Have you looked into the teaching differences between Cornell and Tufts? To me that is one of the biggest differences between the two (especially if cost is the same). I am really excited about PBL but I know that it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Did you get to attend an info session?

Congrats! I was also just accepted yesterday and was all set to go to Ohio State. Have you decided what you are doing yet?

Congrats on your acceptance! What area of vet med are you interested in? Have you looked into the teaching differences between Cornell and Tufts? To me that is one of the biggest differences between the two (especially if cost is the same). I am really excited about PBL but I know that it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Did you get to attend an info session?

Thank you feline! I am interested in shelter med, international medicine, conservation and public health...I know they are a little broad. I would really like to become an army vet at some point. I am intrigued by PBL because after four years of didactic learning, I don't find memorizing and spitting back up information very useful. I want to learn and absorb, so it has a long-lasting presence...and I am hoping PBL will do that for me.

Congrats! I was also just accepted yesterday and was all set to go to Ohio State. Have you decided what you are doing yet?

I have no idea :( That's why I'm here :laugh:

Congratulations to both of you! Did either of you go to one of the information sessions?

Thank you feline! I am interested in shelter med, international medicine, conservation and public health...I know they are a little broad. I would really like to become an army vet at some point. I am intrigued by PBL because after four years of didactic learning, I don't find memorizing and spitting back up information very useful. I want to learn and absorb, so it has a long-lasting presence...and I am hoping PBL will do that for me.

I have no idea :( That's why I'm here :laugh:
Cvanhof, I'm in the same situation (congrats on your acceptance!). I was planning on going to Tufts until I got offered a spot yesterday. It was a tough decision, but I decided to accept the spot at Cornell, mainly because of the PBL curriculum. I'm really excited to meet everyone in the fall!

Congratulations to both of you! Did either of you go to one of the information sessions?

Thank you :) I did, and I really liked it. The PBL was hugely enticing. They were even helpful with questions...I got to see my financial aid package (which was all loans unfortunately) and talk to current students. Ultimately I had to turn them down (which was SO hard, since a large part of my attending Cornell as an undergrad had to do with high hopes of one day getting into the vet school), but I have an IS acceptance and a dual degree offer (which is what I really want) and I just couldn't pass on that.

Congrats to all the others getting calls! I'm so happy for you all!

Hi all,

For those OOS applicants, can I ask what your cGPA was? :)

On the list of 'stuff we need for year 1,' it says leather work boots and rubber boots to go over the work boots. I've been to over a dozen stores and I can't find a muck boot that will go over my work boots. Where have the rest of you found yours?

On the list of 'stuff we need for year 1,' it says leather work boots and rubber boots to go over the work boots. I've been to over a dozen stores and I can't find a muck boot that will go over my work boots. Where have the rest of you found yours?

I got a pair like these from Agway. There are a bunch of types of overboots online, but Agway was the only store I found where I could go and try any on.

There's an Agway slightly past the commons over on Fulton Street where you can try on coveralls (and maybe overboots) before purchasing. Maybe a ten minute drive from the vet school. If you have other questions on what you'll need, post them here or PM me. See you in a few weeks.

We definitely need the 17", right? Those would be the only ones considered to the knee? And how many pairs of ceil blue scrubs are you guys getting/bringing. The list says minimum two. Do you think we have to wear them more than twice a week (I'm thinking I want enough to last me a whole week without doing laundry haha).

We definitely need the 17", right? Those would be the only ones considered to the knee? And how many pairs of ceil blue scrubs are you guys getting/bringing. The list says minimum two. Do you think we have to wear them more than twice a week (I'm thinking I want enough to last me a whole week without doing laundry haha).

I have two pairs right now but might grab a third at some point if I decide I need more. Have you downloaded the VPN? Someone mentioned it on facebook the other day so I finally did that, then went to the internal student website and our entire course schedule is listed there. I'm at work so I can't look at it here but you should be able to see how many days a week we're in wet labs if you check that out.

Have you downloaded the VPN? Someone mentioned it on facebook the other day so I finally did that, then went to the internal student website and our entire course schedule is listed there. I'm at work so I can't look at it here but you should be able to see how many days a week we're in wet labs if you check that out.

that schedule is so confusing to me. a lot of the class times overlap, so i have no idea where i'll actually be at any given time. :confused:

You will be assigned a lab group (A, B, C, D) for the Block 7 labs. Some days Group A/B might have lab with C and D off and the reverse happens the next day (think like a large animal handling lab for instance). I would say two pairs of scrubs is enough for the most part as you won't have so many labs in a week that you wouldn't wash them if need be (and you won't be getting too dirty either). Friendly reminder that the CUHA warehouse sells scrubs at a fairly reasonable price if you need a pair and they should have the Cornell insignia on them if memory serves though I bought mine last year.

As for overboots, 17" sounds about right. You don't want the boot cover variety; you want the ones that you could tuck coveralls into. Once again, check out Agway for these.