Cornell Applicants c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No no, thank you for the dose of reality.

I forgot that Cornell applicants are extremely self-selective *sigh*. I don't know why I did it. Totally just lined some adcom's pretty pockets :rolleyes: Hope they get a good kick out of my app, at least...

Members don't see this ad.

Oh man... Now I regret applying here :( I dont have a low GPA, but as an OOS student, my chances are slim.... I have a mild heart attack every time I log onto SDN and read things...

Does anyone know when Cornell starts making acceptance offers? An alumni told me December, but he graduated a while ago and that sounds really early....

Members don't see this ad :)
The last two years Cornell has made its offers during the first week of January. Dean Smith tries to call all the accepted personally during that week and at the end of the week everyone gets their letter posted to the tracking page.

The last two years Cornell has made its offers during the first week of January. Dean Smith tries to call all the accepted personally during that week and at the end of the week everyone gets their letter posted to the tracking page.

Thanks!:luck:

In addition to the first week in January, acceptance phone calls are made the first Mon/Tues/Wed, with rejection/waitlist emails to follow on Thurs.

NO I AM NOT OBSESSING, OKAY?!

In addition to the first week in January, acceptance phone calls are made the first Mon/Tues/Wed, with rejection/waitlist emails to follow on Thurs.

NO I AM NOT OBSESSING, OKAY?!

Sooooo... Sounds like the first week in January +/- the first Mon-Wed will be the most stressful days imaginable... Here's to obsessively checking phone/email!:xf::xf:

Sooooo... Sounds like the first week in January +/- the first Mon-Wed will be the most stressful days imaginable... Here's to obsessively checking phone/email!:xf::xf:
Just have fun with New Year's, and don't think about it. ;)

Does anyone know when they start sending their interview invites out?

No interviews for Cornell (unless you applied DVM/PhD and make the short list of finalists).

Edit: Notifications/decisions will be in the first week of January. Phone calls = good news. Everything gets emailed for you to read regardless by the end of that week.

No interviews for Cornell (unless you applied DVM/PhD and make the short list of finalists).

Edit: Notifications/decisions will be in the first week of January. Phone calls = good news. Everything gets emailed for you to read regardless by the end of that week.

i feel like i should have known that already...oops lol. thanks for the info! :)

According to the 'transcripts' applicants newsletter, fall transcripts aren't due until June. Does anyone know if this is true even with prerequisites? Seems a little odd, but there it is in black and white! Is this typical? Now I need to check my other schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the 'transcripts' applicants newsletter, fall transcripts aren't due until June. Does anyone know if this is true even with prerequisites? Seems a little odd, but there it is in black and white! Is this typical? Now I need to check my other schools...

That's what I have written down for Cornell, too: Transcripts only required from accepted students. It is weird, but they also say you can have up to however many credits outstanding, so...

My other 4 schools have fall transcripts due in January or February. Then again, my other 4 also have things like interviews.

Colorado only requires transcripts from accepted students too.

Anyone heard anything from mighty Cornell?

Colorado only requires transcripts from accepted students too.

Anyone heard anything from mighty Cornell?

You won't. For awhile. If they do it like last year calls will go out beginning of January.

The beginning of January is pretty early compared to other schools that don't interview though, or? I hope everyone has a relaxing Christmas break because nearly right afterwards people may start hearing back...

Does anybody know how many seats there are for In-State students? I can't seem to find it on the website. At this point I'm pretty sure there was no point in me applying but maybe miracles do happen.
I know they don't let us know until January but I've been glued to the acceptance thread already...the wait is killer!

Does anybody know how many seats there are for In-State students? I can't seem to find it on the website. At this point I'm pretty sure there was no point in me applying but maybe miracles do happen.
I know they don't let us know until January but I've been glued to the acceptance thread already...the wait is killer!

According to what I have on my spreadsheet, they take 49 IS, 43 OOS. I think I had old data, though.

Wow for some reason I thought they took a lot more IS than OOS. Hope they get a kick out of my application at least!

I would expect so too, but I guess since the entire class size is so small they're more even. :shrug:

Usually it is roughly split down the middle with a few more seats for IS students.

Wow for some reason I thought they took a lot more IS than OOS. Hope they get a kick out of my application at least!

Cornell is my IS school but I feel the same way you do HappyCows!

But how many total applicants are there? And how does it break down by IS vs OOS?

either way we will find out in about a month! :scared: :confused:

Last edited:
I was sure that Cornell used to have the stats for previous classes posted on their website but it seems to have disappeared.. Anyone know if they are still up somewhere?

I have stalked their website thoroughly since starting my undergrad and you are correct, they used to have stats posted but they're gone now. I guess they like keeping all of us applicants in the dark!

Hang in there TooLove. Us NY residents have to stick together and keep our fingers crossed...you never know what those Admissions Committees are going to do! (at least that's what I tell myself)

Check out this months prevet newsletter. It looks like there won't be any acceptance phone calls. It says in early January everyone will get a PIN to access a portal where you get your admissions decisions.

Thanks TooLove for the info!

Damn. I was looking forward to knowing the *first week* of January instead of "early January." It's not a huge difference, this wait is just killing me.

Hey y'all.
Cornell doesn't request fall grades, correct?

Thanks TooLove for the info!

Damn. I was looking forward to knowing the *first week* of January instead of "early January." It's not a huge difference, this wait is just killing me.

I know right! At least now I know it's safe to put my phone down for more than 3 seconds :p

They don't require fall transcripts unless there is a prereq on it.

You never know! Early January could still mean the first week. Especially since it presumably it takes less time to change the statuses and send out emails than to make 100 phone calls...

You never know! Early January could still mean the first week. Especially since it presumably it takes less time to change the statuses and send out emails than to make 100 phone calls...

I'm not sure if this is better or worse yet...in some ways checking the website is a whole lot less terrifying than waiting for a phone call... but, yeah the lack of specificity on dates could mean more waiting = more terror.

Check out this months prevet newsletter. It looks like there won't be any acceptance phone calls. It says in early January everyone will get a PIN to access a portal where you get your admissions decisions.

They have done this the last few years (the online part) as it is a quick way to reach 1000+ people for the decisions. Unless the newsletter stated otherwise, I would bet you will still get a call if accepted as Dr. Smith ( Donald Smith , Dean Emeritus) is quite a talker. Not sure if he's on the admissions committee this year though.

It didn't say there wouldn't be any calls, it just didn't sound like there would be either.

Who knows! Now I will still keep my phone on me obsessively.

It didn't say there wouldn't be any calls, it just didn't sound like there would be either.

Who knows! Now I will still keep my phone on me obsessively.

Same here. It will pretty much be attached to my person at all times throughout January. :xf:

2 MORE WEEKS +/- A FEW DAYS~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone has happy holidays! Now that school's over I'm a lot less stressed about hearing, still stressed, but slightly less so. Hope that goes for everyone! :luck:

I am SO stressed. Rejections totally have brought me down :(

I am actually counting down the days. >_<

I've decided to start watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer to distract myself since I'm done with school now.

I am actually counting down the days. >_<

I've decided to start watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer to distract myself since I'm done with school now.

Yes! Add to that... Charmed.. Seinfeld.. and Shark Tank.. :D

Buffy and Charmed! I think I'm going to like this potential incoming class...

I just received an e-mail from the DVM-PhD dual-degree committee chair saying that we will be notified of our admission status during the first week in January! Did anyone else receive this? I never got one last year, so I wasn't sure whether this e-mail was new for this year. :scared:

I just received an e-mail from the DVM-PhD dual-degree committee chair saying that we will be notified of our admission status during the first week in January! Did anyone else receive this? I never got one last year, so I wasn't sure whether this e-mail was new for this year. :scared:

I got it too! Eek, I mostly just want to know one way or the other.

Didn't get that email, but only applied to the DVM program... I am getting so anxious. hope next week will fly by and the decisions will come through soon!