-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cornell c/o 2019 applicants !!
Started by Swongy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where is that from? I haven't heard from the school yet 🙁
"Some" phone calls?? Weird.
So all calls/acceptances are done? Drat.I emailed Jen about possible phone calls today. Doesn't sound like it though 🙁
Guess we'll just have to wait for the email
Thanks for letting us know though!!
Maybe by "past" she meant "next"? And by "some" she meant "we're only calling some people and the rest of you will get accepted by email'? 😉 Wishful thinking.
"Decisions typically go out via email and should be out sometime this week. Some phone calls are being made over the past few days."..
..
What does this mean? Particularly "some phone calls made over the past few days"???!?! ..
..
Oh brother ..
Hi guys! Congrats to everyone who's been accepted and good luck to anyone who hasn't heard! I was accepted last year as a 2018er and due to some stuff beyond my control, I will be joining the class of 2019. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me! And I can also confirm that they did call on Jan 2 last year and I think the phone calls went out on the same day but I do know that some people did only get an e-mail if they applied early decision (only 3 years of undergrad).
Just got my rejection letter.
I haven't gotten anything either. Is there a difference between when IS and OOS get it maybe?? I'm IS
I'm OOS so maybe.I haven't gotten anything either. Is there a difference between when IS and OOS get it maybe?? I'm IS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm IS and haven't gotten any news as well.
OOS and alternate! Now to decide if I should attend an info session or not...
Just got one. Rejection.
Never mind, just got it. Rejection 🙁 congrats to everyone who got in or are alternates though!
Just got my rejection letter. Congratulations to everyone else! I'm still holding out hope for Iowa....just have to do great on this interview.......
How did I get rejected?
Rejected. Ugh, I was really expecting to at least be an alternate this year.
Congrats to everyone that received an acceptance!
Congrats to everyone that received an acceptance!
Same! I'll have to decide as well...OOS and alternate! Now to decide if I should attend an info session or not...
The Ithaca airport is tiny, so there aren't as many flights in and out of there as there is out of Syracuse. If you can find one for a decent price, it's easier to come in to Ithaca, but the drive from Syracuse isn't bad either. Other airports you could check are Elmira and Binghamton.For those of you with Ithaca experience; is it better to fly into Ithaca or to fly into Syracuse and drive?
Hope this helps!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS and alternate! Now to decide if I should attend an info session or not...
I was on the alternate list last year... went to the first info session...got the call first thing on April 15th.. I don't know how much attending the info session mattered in their decision.. but I'm glad I went.. I'm from CA so it is quite a trip but it gave me an idea of the area and what I was going to be getting myself into.
Edit... maybe not exactly what I was getting into...
The Ithaca airport is tiny, so there aren't as many flights in and out of there as there is out of Syracuse. If you can find one for a decent price, it's easier to come in to Ithaca, but the drive from Syracuse isn't bad either. Other airports you could check are Elmira and Binghamton.
Hope this helps!
That totally helps; thanks!
Is it possible if anyone who got acceptance could let me know of their stats? I am just wondering... it would be helpful!
Does anyone know if we can bring anyone for the info sessions?
I called and asked and they said other people can't come on the tours and such with us which is stupid in my opinion.
Alternate, yay!
Does anyone know the odds of actually getting a spot? Also, they are my IS so would it have to be an IS person that rejects in order to get the spot?
I have a few friends from two years ago who were actually accepted off the REJECTION list because they went through and made offers to the whole waitlist so I think odds are good!
Is there anywhere they post info about number of people accepted is/oos and wait listed? Their website is weirdly uninformative in some respects.
Alternate, yay!
Does anyone know the odds of actually getting a spot? Also, they are my IS so would it have to be an IS person that rejects in order to get the spot?
I'm pretty sure that they have two waitlists, one for IS and one for OOS - because they have to guarantee a certain number of IS vs OOS seats. So as a NY resident, you would only get off the waitlist if one of the IS accepted students does not attend.
Is there anywhere they post info about number of people accepted is/oos and wait listed? Their website is weirdly uninformative in some respects.
See attached file for class profiles from some previous classes. This only shows accepted students. I remember seeing somewhere the number of applicants from IS vs OOS but couldn't seem to find it online - I'll let you know if I come across it again.
EDIT - @Beagleholly I asked Jennifer Mailey by email if she had the statistics for IS/OOS applications/acceptances/waitlists, and her reply was not very specific, but she said "Typically the statistic I give is 900-1000 applications form 102 seats."
Attachments
Last edited:
You can elect to stay with a student? They can drive you around if you are nice about it. I think people brought family/spouse for the info session but they don't go to events such as mock tutor group/ tour (though ask admissions for the final word on that).
Last year they were originally going to allow spouses/guests if space allowed.. but it filled up.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so, i'm actually very anxious to hear back from cornell (you can tell my patience is near to nonexistent
)
i wonder how the selection process worked. for instance, i heard last year they accepted everyone on the waitlist and even some of their rejections to fill the seats. and, hearing from jennifer during the tour just in august, she said that the class size is expanding much bigger than that of last year. so maybe they accepted the same number of applicants as last year, will have to go through the entire waitlist and take back even more rejections?
OR...am i just super hopeful? 🙁
anyways, just procrastinating on preparing for interviews
ALSO! congrats to everyone that got accepted!!
)i wonder how the selection process worked. for instance, i heard last year they accepted everyone on the waitlist and even some of their rejections to fill the seats. and, hearing from jennifer during the tour just in august, she said that the class size is expanding much bigger than that of last year. so maybe they accepted the same number of applicants as last year, will have to go through the entire waitlist and take back even more rejections?
OR...am i just super hopeful? 🙁
anyways, just procrastinating on preparing for interviews

ALSO! congrats to everyone that got accepted!!

so, i'm actually very anxious to hear back from cornell (you can tell my patience is near to nonexistent)
i wonder how the selection process worked. for instance, i heard last year they accepted everyone on the waitlist and even some of their rejections to fill the seats. and, hearing from jennifer during the tour just in august, she said that the class size is expanding much bigger than that of last year. so maybe they accepted the same number of applicants as last year, will have to go through the entire waitlist and take back even more rejections?
OR...am i just super hopeful? 🙁
anyways, just procrastinating on preparing for interviews
ALSO! congrats to everyone that got accepted!!![]()
As far as I know, they didn't accept anyone who was rejected last year, but two years ago they did that for at least one person - but that was very, very unusual and I am sure they are not trying to make a practice of it. It doesn't really make sense for them to plan to take back rejections, because all those people will have been making other plans / paying deposits at other schools. It's just something that happened because an unusual number of accepted students didn't end up attending Cornell that year.
I have heard that the class size is expanding, although I'm not sure if it's happening this year or next. A big part of the vet school will be under construction next year (as in, there won't be a cafeteria at all, and much of the library will be inaccessible) in order to make classrooms that can accommodate a larger class size.
I am not sure when the increase is happening either - from what I can tell though, there is not much room for expansion of class size until their new lecture halls are built, and I think that will e more than 1 year away if I remember correctly. Our current lecture hall could take a few more I would guess, but not anything super substantial.As far as I know, they didn't accept anyone who was rejected last year, but two years ago they did that for at least one person - but that was very, very unusual and I am sure they are not trying to make a practice of it. It doesn't really make sense for them to plan to take back rejections, because all those people will have been making other plans / paying deposits at other schools. It's just something that happened because an unusual number of accepted students didn't end up attending Cornell that year.
I have heard that the class size is expanding, although I'm not sure if it's happening this year or next. A big part of the vet school will be under construction next year (as in, there won't be a cafeteria at all, and much of the library will be inaccessible) in order to make classrooms that can accommodate a larger class size.
Dress is roughly business casual**; some people wear suits, others wear jeans. I would suggest a nice collared shirt and slacks and a comfortable pair of shoes to walk around in and you will look nice without standing out (i.e. over/underdressed compared to your peers). The event is pretty laid back and I don't think anyone in admissions is taking notes on your outfit choices
** assuming nothing has changed from previous years
** assuming nothing has changed from previous years