-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cornell University c/o 2025
Started by raegan117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I go to school in West Virginia. Trust me, I know hills lol.Me! I'm OOS, 2nd time applying, non-traditional career-changer! Cornell is one of the few schools I've actually visited, and I really loved the vibe of campus & Ithaca overall. Word of warning, those hills are BRUTAL!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also applied to Cornell as OOS even though I am originally from NYC. I love Cornell but it is a long shot for me lol!
OOS, first time applicant!
atlanticaccra
Full Member
OOS, first time applicant here too!
OOS first time applicant 🙂
Hi everyone! I'm a first time applicant OOS. Has anybody received confirmation of their application. I haven't gotten anything but just see that my VMCAS was received via my tracking page.
I haven't heard anything, but my tracking page also says my application was received.Hi everyone! I'm a first time applicant OOS. Has anybody received confirmation of their application. I haven't gotten anything but just see that my VMCAS was received via my tracking page.
Current first year here a little over halfway through block 1 If anyone has any questions!
IS 2nd time applying, cornell has been my dream since forever, hoping the IS helps me some way! 2 years tech experience, i don't have the greatest GPA but I meet all the requirements so here's to hoping!
Im so nervous to hear something but im assuming we'll still be getting phone calls January 1st and 2nd like the previous years. Good luck to everyone!!
Im so nervous to hear something but im assuming we'll still be getting phone calls January 1st and 2nd like the previous years. Good luck to everyone!!
I haven’t heard anything. I just see that my VMCAS application was received on the portal.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That’s how it was last year - no contact other than the pre-vet newsletter until 1st business day after January 1st. (Which will be the 4th this year, just FYI)I can only see it through the portal, has anyone heard anything about a timeline? Or should we just expect for the January 1st date?
That’s how it was last year - no contact other than the pre-vet newsletter until 1st business day after January 1st. (Which will be the 4th this year, just FYI)
Is the January 1st date when they give out offers or further info on the time line?
That's when they give out offers - IIRC, we didn't get any further info from them until those go out in January. This has been their timeline for the most recent few years, so I would imagine they'll follow the same timeline again. You'll receive a phone call if offered admission, and likely an e-mail to check your applicant portal for either waitlist or denial, right around the first business day of the new year.Is the January 1st date when they give out offers or further info on the time line?
That's when they give out offers - IIRC, we didn't get any further info from them until those go out in January. This has been their timeline for the most recent few years, so I would imagine they'll follow the same timeline again. You'll receive a phone call if offered admission, and likely an e-mail to check your applicant portal for either waitlist or denial, right around the first business day of the new year.
Wow that's stressful 😆
Cassafrass
Full Member
Wishing everyone luck, first time oos applicant, completely and utterly nontraditional lol
Current first-year here - feel free to ask any questions!
Current first-year here - feel free to ask any questions!
Thank you!! Do you have any idea when we may expect to hear about any decisions this year?
I got a call on the Friday after New Years (I think it was January 2nd?), around 10:30 am, but I’ve heard that they make calls over a couple days. I’m not sure if things are different this year due to COVID though. Also, the call can either be from Ithaca area code (607) or another area code, the person who called me was from NJ!
Cassafrass
Full Member
What have you most enjoyed about this year and what's been the hardest adjustment? My situation is different from most--I'm 37 with two kids, so my biggest worries are about uprooting my family more than anything else!Current first-year here - feel free to ask any questions!
Actually, I am in a similar situation you are! I entered the school year with a 6 month old and my husband so I totally understand the whole family uprooting. It is difficult to relate to my classmates for sure - the faculty recommends studying for 3-4 hours per day after your school commitments are over and 8 hours each day on the weekend (which I’m sure you know, is just not realistic with kids!) The scheduling is very inconsistent, such that you might be busy on a Monday until 12 pm but then have five different academic commitments all day the next day, etc. so we ultimately had have my husband be a stay at home dad to accommodate it. However, I do have to say that the faculty have been extremely understanding and willing to help when I was struggling. In terms of what I enjoyed the most, it’s the hands on experience from week 1; it’s a helpful reminder of why we take the time to study and learn so much material that is quite daunting. From what I understands we didn’t have as much hands on experience due to COVID so I hope that changes for you! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!What have you most enjoyed about this year and what's been the hardest adjustment? My situation is different from most--I'm 37 with two kids, so my biggest worries are about uprooting my family more than anything else!
Cassafrass
Full Member
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! My daughters are 3 and 7 and they really love our community so I'd feel bad dragging them, but the dream is the dream, as I'm sure you know. I really appreciate your feedback. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go!!Actually, I am in a similar situation you are! I entered the school year with a 6 month old and my husband so I totally understand the whole family uprooting. It is difficult to relate to my classmates for sure - the faculty recommends studying for 3-4 hours per day after your school commitments are over and 8 hours each day on the weekend (which I’m sure you know, is just not realistic with kids!) The scheduling is very inconsistent, such that you might be busy on a Monday until 12 pm but then have five different academic commitments all day the next day, etc. so we ultimately had have my husband be a stay at home dad to accommodate it. However, I do have to say that the faculty have been extremely understanding and willing to help when I was struggling. In terms of what I enjoyed the most, it’s the hands on experience from week 1; it’s a helpful reminder of why we take the time to study and learn so much material that is quite daunting. From what I understands we didn’t have as much hands on experience due to COVID so I hope that changes for you! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
Does anyone know if there are specific seats allotted for OOS v. IS students. I have been looking around to find any seat breakdowns and I have been unsuccessful. Please let me know if y'all know. Thanks🙂
lemons24limes
Full Member
I dont think they do, i assumed they looked at everyone holistically? But im not 100% sureDoes anyone know if there are specific seats allotted for OOS v. IS students. I have been looking around to find any seat breakdowns and I have been unsuccessful. Please let me know if y'all know. Thanks🙂
I have a note in my excel sheet that it’s 66 IS and 54 OOS, but I can’t for the life of me figure out where I got those numbers from, so take that with a grain of salt.Does anyone know if there are specific seats allotted for OOS v. IS students. I have been looking around to find any seat breakdowns and I have been unsuccessful. Please let me know if y'all know. Thanks🙂
I saw that too somewhere but I wasn't sure if that was accurate for this cycle. Thanks🙂)I have a note in my excel sheet that it’s 66 IS and 54 OOS, but I can’t for the life of me figure out where I got those numbers from, so take that with a grain of salt.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wonder how many applicants they had this cycle. Most schools had a big increase so I wonder if Cornell's applicant pool increased too
LokiBear
Full Member
I'm sure they did as well, as all the other 9 schools I applied to all stated that they had a large increase in applicants this yearI wonder how many applicants they had this cycle. Most schools had a big increase so I wonder if Cornell's applicant pool increased too
I think that’s part of it. Also more people had time to sit down and complete it this year because of COVIDAnyone know why there’s such a huge increase in applicants? Is it because of the dropped GRE requirements at so many schools?
Cassafrass
Full Member
Studies suggest that a professional degree/steady income level/employment becomes increasingly desirable in depression/recession economies and that people on the fence are more likely to move forward on those goals now. This isn't just a trend in vet med, med schools are seeing the same surge.Anyone know why there’s such a huge increase in applicants? Is it because of the dropped GRE requirements at so many schools?
Rejections and waitlist offers go up on the tracking page a few days laterDoes Cornell call even with rejections or do they email you with those? I'm not sure they want to hear me bawling on the phone after getting my 5th rejection LOL
Can’t wait until after the new year when I’m gonna have a heart attack after every single time I hear my phone ring😂😂
Cassafrass
Full Member
In the past it seems that happens via email/portal and acceptances are phone calls.Does Cornell call even with rejections or do they email you with those? I'm not sure they want to hear me bawling on the phone after getting my 5th rejection LOL
Cassafrass
Full Member
the excitement is real lolCan’t wait until after the new year when I’m gonna have a heart attack after every single time I hear my phone ring😂😂
Timetables for the Regular Application Cycle
Good luck, everyone!
So far I have no regrets choosing Cornell although Block 1 really was a doozy. I hope everything will be back to normal for y’all by the time you start!
So far I have no regrets choosing Cornell although Block 1 really was a doozy. I hope everything will be back to normal for y’all by the time you start!
They leave a voicemail for you to call them back, according to the other threads from previous years.Guys I know this sounds dumb but like... what if you miss the phone call?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody know when we’ll hear? Maybe next week?
Cassafrass
Full Member
usually the first business day after New Years, so 1/4Does anybody know when we’ll hear? Maybe next week?
supposed to be the 4th and the 5th, but the smallest part of my heart is hoping it will catch me by surprise and call today and tomorrow but i highly doubt thatDoes anybody know when we’ll hear? Maybe next week?
I wish but I think they're really consistent on their first business day after the new year traditionsupposed to be the 4th and the 5th, but the smallest part of my heart is hoping it will catch me by surprise and call today and tomorrow but i highly doubt that
Similar threads
- Replies
- 323
- Views
- 52K