This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roseyposey112

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have been fortunate enough to have been accepted to Cornell (IS) and Penn and 5 other veterinary schools that i would not consider over Cornell or penn.

I have an interview at Tufts next week and would have to take off two days of work to go to the interview. Is it worth it to go to the interview or should i just accept cornell and call it a day? Finances are not really an issue but obviously it's always nice to save ~$100,000 and ithaca seems like a nicer town than glouster but just want more opinions. please help!

Members don't see this ad.

go with the cheapest. 100k is not a laughing matter and should not be taken lightly. that's YEARS less of debt if you were making the same payment amount going to cornell vs tufts.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah, thankfully my parents are helping out but definitely $100,000 is $100,000 (it may be more like 80,000 but either way). also thats why I'm thinking of skipping the interview because one of my parents would have to take off work which is also losing money and a hassle. just wanted to keep my options open but not sure if it's worth it

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say, even if you aren't considering finances as a driving factor, why go if you feel confident that you would be a better fit at Cornell or Penn.

Obviously your decision should be based on where you think you will be happiest, but I'm going to throw in a plug for students on the interview waitlist. If you think that it's really unlikely you would go, I'm sure plenty of people would be thrilled to have the opportunity to interview.

Reactions: 5 users
yeah i just don't know if i would be a better fit so i wanted other peoples input on whether it is worth it to interview or not

If you are going to save 80-100K by going to Cornell, go to Cornell. Even if that 80-100K won't be in loans, it will still mean a lot to whoever is paying for it.

If you were talking about a 5K difference then I would say, no harm in checking out the other school, but above 5k, just go for the cheaper one.

yeah, thankfully my parents are helping out but definitely $100,000 is $100,000 (it may be more like 80,000 but either way). also thats why I'm thinking of skipping the interview because one of my parents would have to take off work which is also losing money and a hassle. just wanted to keep my options open but not sure if it's worth it

Why would your parents have to take off work for your interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe they’re going with them because they want to see the school too? Especially if they’re footing the bill?
Thank you. Exactly. Also both my parents are veterinarians so they enjoy seeing other hospitals and seeing how they run

Reactions: 2 users
Just curious. I guess everyone has different levels of parental involvement. It was just surprising to me to hear that some parents evidently do that, sounded helicoptery. To each his own I suppose.

Just curious. I guess everyone has different levels of parental involvement. It was just surprising to me to hear that some parents evidently do that, sounded helicoptery. To each his own I suppose.
What sounds helicoptery? Plenty of people have their parents at interview weekends and presumably at least some of them have to take off work to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
What sounds helicoptery? Plenty of people have their parents at interview weekends and presumably at least some of them have to take off work to attend.

Really? Huh.

I'm a product of very "hands-off" parenting (I don't think my folks even came to see me during college more than once or twice and they only lived 4 hours away - hell, my dad didn't even come to my vet school graduation) so perhaps I'm biased.

Really? Huh.

I'm a product of very "hands-off" parenting (I don't think my folks even came to see me during college more than once or twice and they only lived 4 hours away - hell, my dad didn't even come to my vet school graduation) so perhaps I'm biased.
I saw very few interviewees walking alone on tours during my interviews. There were a lot of parents and a few SOs/fiances/spouses. Some of these schools even offer presentations during interview times solely to give parents the lay of the land when it comes to vet school.

My dad came with me to my Illinois interview (which looking back is pretty ironic since my parents didn't even go to my high school basketball games). I flew to UF by myself. I went to my IS by myself. Tbh I don't remember why we decided that my dad would come but it was nice being able to focus before and not drive myself at least.

Also, some people just like being there for their kid's important life events and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people would call that 'normal.'

Really? Huh.

My mom came with to some interviews, not all of them. My parents never visited me in undergrad they lived 2 hours away. A lot of parents visited regularly during undergrad. My parents visited once while I was in vet school during my third year. That was it. Seemed like everyone's parents visited frequently in vet school, my parents were more.... call/text us if you need us and even then we can't really help.

Really? Huh.

Yep. I think 5 out of 6 people on my tour at Mizzou had a parent with them. Then during the student panel it seemed like the vast majority had a parent or SO with them. I might've felt a little out of place if I didn't have someone with me, honestly.

However, at my IS interview, I think a lot more people were alone.

My mom has never visited me at my undergrad school, though it is across the country. For all she knows, I'm at Hogwarts.

Huh, well I guess I learned something today.

I know parents tend to come to the white coat ceremony (which my class didn't even really have....we had a short thingie where we all gathered in the commons area where people usually ate lunch, and called us up to get our coat and that was that), but I honestly don't remember a lot being there for interviews (admittedly that was a long time ago).

I didn't mean any offense, I was genuinely curious.....I couldn't imagine my folks coming with me to a vet school interview....I mean, what for? It's not like they're the ones going to vet school, why would they care. I'm an adult and certainly don't need them there, and I don't see why they would really want to. I guess I can see it from a financial perspective if they're paying - they want to make sure they're money is going to a decent place. I suppose I look at vet school interviews more like a job interview/company tour, and you certainly wouldn't have your parents at one of those. Anyways, case closed. I guess it is a lot more prevalent nowadays than it used to be?

Reactions: 4 users
Perhaps this is another reason I shouldn't reproduce :laugh:

Nah, just different family things. You don't have to be super involved. I can see your point where it is more like a job interview. My mom was really only there for the school tour and to try food in different areas. We made it into little mini vacations where I just happened to be interviewing.

There are plenty of other reasons not to reproduce....like what if your kid is a sociopath and tries to kill you??? (I think of random, crazy things to keep me from having children.) Vomit too. Kids vomit. I don't like cleaning up vomit. Our hearing someone vomit.

Perhaps this is another reason I shouldn't reproduce :laugh:
No, I completely understand why you would feel the way you do given your upbringing. Like I said, I can relate..I just realize that other parents/kids are much closer than I am with mine.

I think vet school is more of a life-altering experience for everyone than a regular job interview. Idk.
There are plenty of other reasons not to reproduce....like what if your kid is a sociopath and tries to kill you??? (I think of random, crazy things to keep me from having children.) Vomit too. Kids vomit. I don't like cleaning up vomit. Our hearing someone vomit.
I've used this exact argument before haha.

Also the "I'm a hot mess mentally and physically, why would I want to punish a child with my genetics?"

My niece had a blowout during my first (and last) diaper change on her and it got on my shirt. I swear, I nearly fainted. Animal poop? meh, prefer not to be covered in it but I'd deal.

Yeah. I admit I was a bit mad that my dad didn't come to my vet school graduation (he was an alcoholic and I suspect he got too drunk the night before to drive down with my mom the next day). But for interviews? I didn't even really entertain the idea that they would come.

My SO talks to his family all the time; they're super close - as in he talks to at least one of them at least once a week. I always thought it was....cute, but odd (to me). His folks flew across the country for his white coat ceremony. I was like.....o_O damn!

Nah, just different family things. You don't have to be super involved. I can see your point where it is more like a job interview. My mom was really only there for the school tour and to try food in different areas. We made it into little mini vacations where I just happened to be interviewing.

Or what if your kid was allergic to animals? That would literally be the worst

Or what if your kid was allergic to animals? That would literally be the worst

Then we settle it the old fashioned way

tumblr_inline_o6zmpcMME31qa7k0a_500.gif

My mom asked if she could come to my interview day at UMN. I was like o_O, at this point I'd already been out of undergrad for a few years. I was thinking the same as WTF like, why would you? But she did and it was actually really nice to have her there to tour with me and ask questions for things I hadn't thought of. She's also a huge extrovert so that was nice because little introverted me didn't have to stress about small talk as much on the tour type things. That and having someone to talk me off the ledge before and after the actual interview.

My mom asked if she could come to my interview day at UMN. I was like o_O, at this point I'd already been out of undergrad for a few years. I was thinking the same as WTF like, why would you? But she did and it was actually really nice to have her there to tour with me and ask questions for things I hadn't thought of. She's also a huge extrovert so that was nice because little introverted me didn't have to stress about small talk as much on the tour type things. That and having someone to talk me off the ledge before and after the actual interview.
Me

Reasons my mom comes to interviews with me. But also we’re the same person so of course we’d have the same reasoning for liking our mom there

I’m a vet. I’m allergic.

WTF AM I DOING HERE!!!??

I’m chock full of other medical stuff. I don’t know if I’d reproduce for these unstated reasons
I have tons of medical stuff lol but when allergy tested, I was allergic to many things but absolutely no reaction to any animal

For the OP (@Roseyposey112 ) I’m a Tufts grad but know a lot of Cornell grads and I’m a PA resident . I’m happy to answer specifics but it’s still your call at the end of your data gathering :)
Thank you! I’ve talked to a student at tufts and Cornell and so far it seems like the major curriculum difference is Cornell is almost totally PBL and tufts is a combination between PBL and didactic learning? Which do you think is better for clinical work? Also, as far as student body, I know it changed with each class but does tufts attract a different type of student than Cornell? My post Bacc class was insanely competitive which really turned me off and I would rather not have that for vet school. Finally, does all of this not really matter and I should just save money?

Thank you! I’ve talked to a student at tufts and Cornell and so far it seems like the major curriculum difference is Cornell is almost totally PBL and tufts is a combination between PBL and didactic learning? Which do you think is better for clinical work? Also, as far as student body, I know it changed with each class but does tufts attract a different type of student than Cornell? My post Bacc class was insanely competitive which really turned me off and I would rather not have that for vet school. Finally, does all of this not really matter and I should just save money?
yes

Can't comment on the schools themselves as I have no experience with either, but personally I dislike the little bit of PBL we have here at Illinois during first year. It could just be the way it's set up here, though. I found it incredibly inefficient and not really a comprehensive way to teach a certain subject.

We had it in the context of case studies/writeups for one class and it was horribly frustrating for everyone. For example, part of our PBL was to write up an Cushing's/endocrinology case...basically arguing why Cushing's was the best diagnosis given the provided parameters of the case. We didn't really 'learn' about the disease process so much as find sources to use to back up our arguments. We did cover endocrinology again as third years, but the PBL didn't give me a great foundation. I would think a curriculum based entirely on PBL would be designed a bit more efficiently, though.

However, some people like the idea of essentially teaching themselves at their own pace. Either way, I would still rank cost as more important than the curriculum style.

I haven’t been allergy tested yet but the hives and puffy eyes are a dead giveaway for cats for me :rofl:
I have this reaction to guinea pigs and latex (plus wheezing/runny nose which earned me an epi pen) and I still was negative on my allergy test for both. Yet I was positive to shellfish, which I eat fairly regularly with no major issues.

I tried to send you a PM but couldn’t...

I visited Tufts last year for an interview and went to Cornell for UG. I can't exactly address the difference between PBL and "traditional" teaching, but Cornell's UG curriculum in biology (my major) was very much PBL-esque. It was a really hard transition for me. You essentially have to re-train your brain to learn the concepts, not just memorize a bunch of stuff. I used to be able to memorize things very easily in HS, but now it's a bit harder because Cornell trained me to stop memorizing and instead look at the full picture. It was really jarring and resulted in several sub-par marks on my transcript, but one you adapt it's very useful. I found it much easier to solve diagnostic questions on tests with that method.

Tufts to me was a lot more cozy and team-based. When I spent a night at a house with Tufts students, everyone was working on their homework together. The community to me seemed very tight-nit and collaborative. Cornell is definitely more competitive overall, but I think the vet school may be different. Not entirely sure there but Cornell is known for attracting over-achievers (myself included). The vet school is pretty separated from the campus as a whole, so that mentality might not apply. :shrug:

So I can't comment on Tufts or Cornell specifically, but I will say, in general, that whatever undergrad competitiveness you sniff out is almost completely gone once you hit vet school. Everyone realizes they have a DVM for everyone and slowly begin to act more like a family and less cutthroat. Could you get an occasional person who is awful and wants to be the best and might be cutthroat? Sure, but you will get those everywhere in every class.

As far as PBL goes, I know cornell also has *some* regular classes to go along with it, so it' not 100% PBL. I really enjoyed my PBL elective 3rd year, and saw it as a fantastic supplemental exercise that I learned a ton from. However, it would be hard for me to learn *just* from that. I know there are a few Cornell people around (I thought there was one called stethoscope or something that posted on Cornell's 2022 applicants thread?), so maybe PMing them could be helpful.

100% go to the cheapest school you got into. I was angsting about the same kind of question when I was in your position. Go with the most affordable school. It will be fine, and you can maybe use 100k toward something else. It does not matter.

Thanks everyone!! Can’t tell y’all how much I appreciate all the input.

Hi sorry to jump on this thread I’m also trying to decide between tufts and Cornell and was just curious if anyone had any thoughts in regards to hands on experience at each school? From tours at Cornell it seemed like it was really easy to get involved in the hospital (as well as community clinics) even if you didn’t come in with a ton of clinical experience and you learned things like physical exams in 1st year and spays at the end of 2nd year whereas for Tufts you learned those 2nd and 3rd year respectively. Tufts seems great too with the Tufts at Tech and selectives but is it hard to get experience with those, and in the hospital, if you don’t have a ton of tech experience? Thank you in advance for any help!