This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kfcchikin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No! It'll make you unique, which is good :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Only if your personal statement sucks

Reactions: 7 users
Creative Writing Major - Will it hurt?
So I love writing and have been encouraged by several teachers & profs to pursue it. I'm a sophomore & creative writing/english major. I know you can major in anything to apply to MS but I'm concerned that it's too artsy...for lack of a better term. The only times I've heard of people doing this is when double majoring in bio and english or something along those lines. Is creative writing/eng too insubstantial/will it seem like too easy of a track? (It's not, but I feel like most people think of it as such. Orgo is time consuming but imo it's not nearly as difficult as critical analysis & writing)

Things that show my med interest are hundreds of shadowing hours, peer-reviewed pubs, and will do hospital volunteering over the summer. Does it compensate?
I have additional upper-level bio courses so it's not too late to switch to a bio major if it's a better idea
If anything, it will help, as you'll be able to portray your path to medicine and activity descriptions in a more succinct, informative, yet interesting manner, that adcomms will enjoy reading.

Reactions: 1 users
Natalie Angier and Sam Kean have been an early point of inspiration for me that writing and science can be a powerful combination.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on how the grading is handled. If you can get a solid GPA, I think it's a great idea. As others have said, your written communication skills are the 3rd most important thing in your application (after gpa and mcat).