CSU c/o 2020 applicants, y'all ready for this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does the status change look like?

Members don't see this ad.

OOS here. Congrats to everyone who have received acceptances :happy:

quick question for you guys, did you receive an email about the change of status? or should I be desperately refreshing my portal nonstop for that?

I got an email telling me to check the portal because my status had been changed.

What does the status change look like?

There's a link at the top of the page that takes you to the actual letter telling you what the decision was (accepted, waitlisted, etc.). I think they made it a link so the first thing you read on the portal isn't the decision (you can psych yourself up for reading it first!).

Also, for me the letter had this really great, cheesy confetti animation that played when I opened it. I thought it was a nice touch!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It says we find out December 28th... 20 more days to go!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone been rejected or accepted into the DVM/PhD program? :(Someone mentioned this earlier but it wasn't particularly about acceptance:unsure: :help:

Last edited:
FYI- sponsored and nonsponsored positions will be posted Dec. 28 and Wiche will be posted Jan. 29

ok i kind of feel dumb asking this question but when you guys say portal are you refering to the VMCAS or is there something else I'm missing?

ok i kind of feel dumb asking this question but when you guys say portal are you refering to the VMCAS or is there something else I'm missing?
It's the CSU CSA portal (where you filled out the supplemental application). If you log in to it that's where they post a lot of updates about decisions timelines and whatnot.

FYI- sponsored and nonsponsored positions will be posted Dec. 28 and Wiche will be posted Jan. 29

So do you know if someone applied from a WICHE state but funding hasn't been determined yet if they would know Dec. 28 as an OOS candidate or if they wait for Jan. 29 still? People were talking about it on the last page but seems like we are all a little unsure and I didn't know if you knew any more about it haha

Last edited:
Usually the way it works is that first they make a decision on admission - you are either accepted or denied as an OOS candidate. If you are accepted, then your state tells you whether or not you will get WICHE funding. If you do NOT get WICHE, then you are still accepted as an OOS student - you just have to pay the OOS tuition. You will be informed of your WICHE status before the commitment deadline, so that you can make a decision based on tuition if you have to.
Your tuition status in CO does not change during your time as a vet student, with the exception of the dual degree students or other special programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Usually the way it works is that first they make a decision on admission - you are either accepted or denied as an OOS candidate. If you are accepted, then your state tells you whether or not you will get WICHE funding. If you do NOT get WICHE, then you are still accepted as an OOS student - you just have to pay the OOS tuition. You will be informed of your WICHE status before the commitment deadline, so that you can make a decision based on tuition if you have to.
Your tuition status in CO does not change during your time as a vet student, with the exception of the dual degree students or other special programs.
Thanks! So do you think that means us WICHE people would know by Dec. 28 if we got accepted and then Jan 29. would be if we got funded by our state?

Congrats man! How long you been flying? I was accepted into the AbleFlight program through Purdue Aviation and will be getting mine next May. Honestly never thought I'd be able to get my license but there's some amazing adaptations being done out there to fly with hand controls. Can't wait.
I've only been flying not even 2 years. It's amazing though. So glad I took it up. It will change your life and your perspective. That's great that they have ways for to do it. I'm curious on how you control the rudder with your hands. It seems like I have my hands full without having to do rudder and brakes. Fly fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only been flying not even 2 years. It's amazing though. So glad I took it up. It will change your life and your perspective. That's great that they have ways for to do it. I'm curious on how you control the rudder with your hands. It seems like I have my hands full without having to do rudder and brakes. Fly fast.

It's hand controls for the rudder, similar to what I use in my truck. I'll be learning on a SkyArrow Light Sport aircraft but there's people out there that have retrofitted Cessnas.

I saw someone who got accepted to CSU today. Anyone else hear anything? Mine doesn't show anything new as a DVM OOS kid, but maybe DVM/PhD people got decisions?

I saw someone who got accepted to CSU today. Anyone else hear anything? Mine doesn't show anything new as a DVM OOS kid, but maybe DVM/PhD people got decisions?
I got a no for the DVM/PhD. Regular pool Ho!

Was this person part of the regular pool or dual degree?

Where did you see this? I applied to the combined DVM/PhD program and haven't been given any status on my application. Honestly, I'm super anxious.

Last edited:
Where did you see this? I applied to the combined DVM/PhD program and haven't been given any status on my application. Honestly, I'm super anxious.
Check your portal. It should have a statement right at the top of your application page.

Next week, but apparently some people have already heard. Oy. I hate waiting...

Edit: shouldn't have said anything, my portal just got updated to a DVM/PhD denial. Onto regular admissions.

Last edited:
Next week, but apparently some people have already heard. Oy. I hate waiting...

Edit: shouldn't have said anything, my portal just got updated to a DVM/PhD denial. Onto regular admissions.
I feel your pain... I hate waiting too. But at least we have a set date for the regular pool decisions.

why does it have to be around Christmas... messing with my emotions. :nono:

I'll be warm and cozy, cuddling by the fire place with 3 cats, 2 feisty little girls, and a hubby. Next to the tree, wrapped in warmth...

With this ice pick of doubt that will make me repeatedly pull up the portal and refresh like a loony just in case, just in case the worst or just in case my life chooses to run the direction I claimed it would when I was 6, before I knew the horrors of applications and committees and all the little road blocks that now lie between me and a dream... or maybe they are inpenetrable walls... or will I, dare I to think?... will I get to just walk right through this year into my next challenge?

Christmas this year comes with a present from CSU that seems to me to be slowly taking the former of Schroedinger's Cat.

Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas! Ack!

why does it have to be around Christmas... messing with my emotions. :nono:

Last year decisions went out during CSU's finals week and some rejected applicants took it really hard and ended up failing a few finals. I think CSU may have pushed the decision date back so it's after finals and Christmas just so people can live through the holidays without a bad decision weighing on them.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a really great time in December to post decisions. :shrug:

Ho ho ho, rejection, and a happy new year.

Received my first rejection from them on December 22. lol. That was great to tell my family. Although, many of them were like, "Well, we looked up all the stats and stuff that you have to have and by golly Bats, this isht is hard! Don't feel bad!" It was actually really cool that they were realists about it.

Last year decisions went out during CSU's finals week and some rejected applicants took it really hard and ended up failing a few finals. I think CSU may have pushed the decision date back so it's after finals and Christmas just so people can live through the holidays without a bad decision weighing on them.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a really great time in December to post decisions. :shrug:

So! Here's how I think they should do applications. They should open the application up in, like, March 1st and close it May 30. Then, the schools go through all the applications from May through July. In August, ALL schools send out all their interview invites. Then each school gets eight days, Friday through Monday (basically two weekends), out of September, October, and November. Two schools will interview each weekend. Then they send out acceptances/waitlists/denials in January. People must commit by March 1. So you miss a lot of the bad weather shenanigans that occurs with the current interview timeline and there's no rejections during the holidays. I'm sure there are holes in this argument, but by giving each school eight days to interview everyone, that splits up the interviews enough that if people have conflicting interviews, they have a better chance of saving both interviews if they want.

Reactions: 3 users
Received my first rejection from them on December 22. lol. That was great to tell my family. Although, many of them were like, "Well, we looked up all the stats and stuff that you have to have and by golly Bats, this isht is hard! Don't feel bad!" It was actually really cool that they were realists about it.

So! Here's how I think they should do applications. They should open the application up in, like, March 1st and close it May 30. Then, the schools go through all the applications from May through July. In August, ALL schools send out all their interview invites. Then each school gets eight days, Friday through Monday (basically two weekends), out of September, October, and November. Two schools will interview each weekend. Then they send out acceptances/waitlists/denials in January. People must commit by March 1. So you miss a lot of the bad weather shenanigans that occurs with the current interview timeline and there's no rejections during the holidays. I'm sure there are holes in this argument, but by giving each school eight days to interview everyone, that splits up the interviews enough that if people have conflicting interviews, they have a better chance of saving both interviews if they want.

I think they should just release the decisions during finals week and hide the result behind a few check boxes, a disclaimer that if you're going to cry and fail a final if it's a denial than you should wait, and a captcha code.

I'm a big boy, I can handle it.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I'd rather just know as early as possible whether its during finals week or on Christmas

Anyone heard anything on if they are going to do some acceptances in person like they did last year? I checked and the vet school Facebook page had pulled down the video..

Video... sigh. I ranted about it already. I don't always look that post part um and sweaty...

Hey there! Did you dual degree acceptees get phone calls or portal notifications only? Last year regular pool people got phone calls if they were accepted. The rest of us got the bad news via the portal. :)

So far portal only and just the bads. Someone here got in and got a call, but I can't swear they all did.

Hey there! Did you dual degree acceptees get phone calls or portal notifications only? Last year regular pool people got phone calls if they were accepted. The rest of us got the bad news via the portal. :)

I got the portal notification first and then a phone call the next day. I'm not sure if they'll be calling the regular pool or not, though (I'm actually not even sure if all of the dual degree people got phone calls or not, though my guess is that they did). My guess is everyone will likely get a portal update regardless of what their status update was, though.

Combined Program Reviews decisions have been released.
Colorado and Nonsponsored decisions will be released late December (DEC 28).
WICHE decisions will be released in late January (JAN 29).

Just in case anyone was panicking like I am. got another week to wait! Ahh

Colorado and Nonsponsored decisions will be released late December (DEC 28).

I was hoping to be at my parents' house when the decision came in. Instead, I'll be home.

I wonder if there's any chance it'll come earlier. I know some schools will give a date, but still release the week before since they finish early.

Checks portal. Realizes nothing's changed, 10 more days to go. Takes a shower. Checks portal.

Reactions: 7 users
Maaaybe, but you'll never know. I'm like a ninja and so quiet you can't even hear me tiptoe.
Haha I don't know why I laughed so hard at your response! Thanks for that! Really needed a good laugh after a crappy couple of days!

They've sent out preliminary decisions. Rejection for me.

Crap... checking now...

And sorry batsenecal :(

Me too:(.

Stupid form letter still recommends that I consider enrolling in a MS :poke::rofl: