CSUDH Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would like to know what your weekly schedule is like and also how much time you dedicate per week to studying outside of class. I know this is subjective, but I just want an idea. I have a child and want to know how I would work out studying. And do you have any tips for the admissions interview? Thanks in advance!

Hey DaisyMama,
Our weekly schedule is pretty variable. But typically, you are in class 4-5 days a week, ranging anywhere from 3-7 hours per day. In regard to hours dedicated to studying outside of class, you are right in saying that it is very subjective. Personally, I spend an hour or two, per day, during the week outside of class and a few hours per day on the weekends. But if there is a huge assignment due, then that time will increase. However, I am the kind of person who likes to get a little bit of work done everyday. Whereas others may put things off and only work long hours closer to a deadline. Also, in regard to your concerns about being a parent, there are people in the program with kids who are able to successfully manage the workload.

In regard to the interview process:
My #1 recommendation is to prepare! I am the kind of person who usually just wings-it, but in this case I am so glad I practiced what I was going to say ahead of time. So have a general idea for what you will say for questions like: Why OT? Why CSUDH? etc. Most importantly, be yourself! That is the purpose of the interviews...so the faculty can meet you and so you can give them some insight into who you are as a person.

-Good luck everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey DaisyMama,
Our weekly schedule is pretty variable. But typically, you are in class 4-5 days a week, ranging anywhere from 3-7 hours per day. In regard to hours dedicated to studying outside of class, you are right in saying that it is very subjective. Personally, I spend an hour or two, per day, during the week outside of class and a few hours per day on the weekends. But if there is a huge assignment due, then that time will increase. However, I am the kind of person who likes to get a little bit of work done everyday. Whereas others may put things off and only work long hours closer to a deadline. Also, in regard to your concerns about being a parent, there are people in the program with kids who are able to successfully manage the workload.

In regard to the interview process:
My #1 recommendation is to prepare! I am the kind of person who usually just wings-it, but in this case I am so glad I practiced what I was going to say ahead of time. So have a general idea for what you will say for questions like: Why OT? Why CSUDH? etc. Most importantly, be yourself! That is the purpose of the interviews...so the faculty can meet you and so you can give them some insight into who you are as a person.

-Good luck everyone :)
Thank you SO MUCH, Outsidethebox43!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would current applicants mind sharing their stats for Spring 2015? I'll be applying the year after and want to know what I'd possibly be up against? :)

I've applied for Spring 2015 and am having the worst case anticipatory anxiety :nailbiting: especially since CSUDH is the only school I want to get into! EEEK!!

Stats:
Undergrad: UCLA
Major: Sociology
GPA: 3.89
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 162 V, 161 Q, 5.5 AW
Letters of Rec: 1 OTR, 1 professor, 1 employer
136 volunteer hours at the Los Angeles VA Hospital
I had 1-2 years of working as a personal trainer/recreation instructor at UCLA.

Totally thinking of all the worst case scenarios right now.. :arghh: ..but reading through this thread helps to know that I'm not the only one trippin':soexcited: hahahah

WOOOOOSAHHHH... good luck to all of us!!! :clap:

Last edited:
I've applied for Spring 2015 and am having the worst case anticipatory anxiety :nailbiting: especially since CSUDH is the only school I want to get into! EEEK!!

Stats:

Totally thinking of all the worst case scenarios right now.. :arghh: ..but reading through this thread helps to know that I'm not the only one trippin':soexcited: hahahah

Ok-I think you are totally getting in!!! You have great stats-my hat's off to you!
I really need to crack the AWA and get a 5 or higher. The highest I could get was a 4.5. Any advice/tips? I've read up on it, wrote practice essays, but somehow I couldn't get any higher. Hopefully I get in this year, but if not, it would help me next year!

Stats:

You have amazing stats!!! I think you'll get in! :) Ever since I've turned in the applications I've been freaking out hahaha Good luck to us all! :)

Ok-I think you are totally getting in!!! You have great stats-my hat's off to you!
I really need to crack the AWA and get a 5 or higher. The highest I could get was a 4.5. Any advice/tips? I've read up on it, wrote practice essays, but somehow I couldn't get any higher. Hopefully I get in this year, but if not, it would help me next year!

Thank you! It was a lot of hard work and sometimes tears and oh so many paper cuts lol

For AW practice, 4 days a week I went to https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing/issue/pool and https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing/argument/pool and I randomly picked an essay task in each pool. Then I'd give myself an hour to complete both essays. After each practice I'd go back and edit and take notes on what I did well and what I needed work on. It sucks in the beginning, but eventually you see improvements week after week and it actually becomes fun writing and getting ideas out so quickly.
I hope this helps and I send you positive vibes! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You have amazing stats!!! I think you'll get in! :) Ever since I've turned in the applications I've been freaking out hahaha Good luck to us all! :)

Thank you! I TRULY TRULY HOPE SO!! And I'm glad that I am not alone about the anticipatory freakout! Anticipatory Anxiety struggle IS REAL!!
BTW! On your location I see you are from San Diego. I am from San Diego tooo!! If we both get into CSUDH, we can totally carpool! haha :p
Good luck KateeMac! :)

Thank you! It was a lot of hard work and sometimes tears and oh so many paper cuts lol

For AW practice, 4 days a week I went to https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing/issue/pool and https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing/argument/pool and I randomly picked an essay task in each pool. Then I'd give myself an hour to complete both essays. After each practice I'd go back and edit and take notes on what I did well and what I needed work on. It sucks in the beginning, but eventually you see improvements week after week and it actually becomes fun writing and getting ideas out so quickly.
I hope this helps and I send you positive vibes! :)
Thank you for the tips...if I don't end up getting in this year, I will implement your writing study plan. Thanks!

Omg! The wait is so stressful! but I guess good things take time and hard work. Good luck everybody!!!!
I hope that we can all get in an then just think back and smile about our freak outs during this time of uncertainty.

Thank you! I TRULY TRULY HOPE SO!! And I'm glad that I am not alone about the anticipatory freakout! Anticipatory Anxiety struggle IS REAL!!
BTW! On your location I see you are from San Diego. I am from San Diego tooo!! If we both get into CSUDH, we can totally carpool! haha :p
Good luck KateeMac! :)

Awesome! Haha we totally should! :) I only know one other person from San Diego who applied. I think they started calling people for interviews during the first week of October last year. Ahhh I hope we all get in!

Please post if anyone starts getting interviews! After waiting until late November last year, I realized that if I don't get an interview, I'm not getting in, so it would be great to know when they are beginning to schedule them.

Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Graduate GPA (which they don't care about): 3.85
Prereq GPA: 3.5
GRE Verbal: 157 Quant:145 Writing: 4
Volunteer Hours: 100+
Awesome Letters of Rec
These are my current stats, but I'm working to improve my GRE Quant and AWA scores. By the way, these stats DID NOT get me into the program last year. :-(

Did you receive an interview though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you receive an interview though?
No I didn't! I only received a rejection letter towards the end of November. If they would use my grad school GPA I would have a better chance. :p Luckily I was able to score a 4.5 on AWA this year (better than a 4)

I just got a call from Ms. Langford! I have my interview scheduled for next week! She said they're starting them this Friday! AHHH Good luck everyone! :)

I just got a call as well. I am pumped considering I didn't even receive the chance to interview last year. My interview is for next Thursday. Good luck everybody.

Good luck!!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping to get a call

Good luck, guys! Would you guys mind posting your stats if you got an interview? Ah, I hope I get invited!

Last edited:
I just got a call from Ms. Langford! I have my interview scheduled for next week! She said they're starting them this Friday! AHHH Good luck everyone! :)

Would you mind posting your stats? It would really be great to see if my scores are similar to yours in hopes of receiving a call as well! Thanks and Good Luck!

I just got a call as well. I am pumped considering I didn't even receive the chance to interview last year. My interview is for next Thursday. Good luck everybody.

Congrats m(ot)ivated! would u mind posting your stats so those who haven't received a call yet can figure out if were likely to lol. thanks and good luck!

Received a call for an interview. :D Here are my stats if anyone's interested, and good luck to everyone applying!

Undergrad GPA: 3.6
Prerequisite GPA: B in Physiology, A in everything else
GRE Verbal: 156 GRE Quantitative: 160 Writing: 4
Volunteer Hours: 175+ hours at an outpatient pediatric OT clinic
Letters of rec from a OT, Professor, and a non-OT therapist

Received a call for an interview. :D Here are my stats if anyone's interested, and good luck to everyone applying!

Undergrad GPA: 3.6
Prerequisite GPA: B in Physiology, A in everything else
GRE Verbal: 156 GRE Quantitative: 160 Writing: 4
Volunteer Hours: 175+ hours at an outpatient pediatric OT clinic
Letters of rec from a OT, Professor, and a non-OT therapist

Congrats Master Birdy! Would you mind sharing what the first intial of your last name is? I have similar stats but haven't received a call and am curious if they are doing it alphabetically- and i so if i was passed up or maybe still have a shot.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm so happy for those of you who got interviews! Thanks for updating all of us OT hopefuls! :)

Congrats to everyone who got invited to interview!

Does anyone know when the program actually starts? The application says "Spring 2015" and I remember them saying at the info meeting that it starts in the Spring, so does that mean it starts in January? Or does it start in August like most of the other programs?

Congrats to everyone who got invited to interview!

Does anyone know when the program actually starts? The application says "Spring 2015" and I remember them saying at the info meeting that it starts in the Spring, so does that mean it starts in January? Or does it start in August like most of the other programs?
It starts in Jan 2015

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum.

I wanted to share my stats with you.

Undergrad GPA: 3.89
Prerequisites GPA: 4.0
GRE: 153 verbal, 145 Q, 5.0 writing.
400+ OT volunteer experience in 2 settings
100+ experience as ophthalmology assistant
80+ other experience including ABA therapist
Awesome lets of rec from OT, professor and adviser, and employee.

Do you guys think I have a chance?

Also, if you do not get an interview don't lose hope. Miss Langford told me that not all accepted students will interview. Good luck everyone!

^Thank you for that! I think you have an awesome shot with your GPA and GRE scores. Did you get an interview?

when i called the OT office they would neither confirm nor deny how interviews are being used nor give any info on who or how ppl are being selected for them (top candidates/ppl they are on the fence about, etc)

here are my stats:

undergrad: 3.61
pre-req: 4.0
GRE: Verbal:160 Quantitative: 152 Writing: 5
no volunteer hours- i completed the class instead
Solid LORs

I have not received a call yet :/

^Did you talk to Ms. Langford though or just the front staff? I feel like because Ms. Langford actually works with admissions, she has a better idea of how the whole process works.

I talked to Ms. Langford. here is word by word what she said "Invitations for interviews are sent at the request of the Admissions Committee; however, not all students who are admitted will interview. The decision process has begun and the final decisions will be made from now until the Admissions Committee has chosen all candidates. The decisions will be final mid-November."

^Thank you for that! I think you have an awesome shot with your GPA and GRE scores. Did you get an interview?

No I haven't received a call for an interview yet. I wonder if they are doing it alphabetically.

I received a call yesterday and set up an interview for next week. :D
I'm so excited!!!! but I'm also nervous. I wonder what the interview will be like.
Good luck everyone!

sure!
undergrad GPA: 3.6
Pre-req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 152 v, 144 q, 4 writing
I have over 150 volunteer hours in two settings
3 great letters: OT, PT and current supervisor

^Did you talk to Ms. Langford though or just the front staff? I feel like because Ms. Langford actually works with admissions, she has a better idea of how the whole process works.

it wasnt ms. langford it was ms. suarez who is one of their admin support ppl

sure!
undergrad GPA: 3.6
Pre-req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 152 v, 144 q, 4 writing
I have over 150 volunteer hours in two settings
3 great letters: OT, PT and current supervisor

Congrats! that's great news! Would you mind me asking the first letter of your last name and when you turned in your application? I wonder if they are going alphabetically or by the date the application was turned in.

I just got a letter of acceptance! I did not have an interview, by the way. Here are my stats if anyone's interested:

Undergrad GPA: 3.43
Prereq GPA: 3.93
GRE: 164 V, 163 Q, 5.0 AWA
84 hours volunteering

Good luck, you guys! See you at orientation!

Just got a letter of acceptance as well! I did not have an interview either, here are my stats:

Major: business admin with marketing specialization
Undergrad 3.754
Pre req 4
Gre verbal 155 quant 157 writing 4.5
3 great letters of rec
0 hours, but got an A on OTR410

Good luck everyone!

Congrats guys!! Would you mind sharing the initials of your last name and when you turned in application?

Did you get the acceptance letter through email or snail mail?

I too received an offer for admission via regular USPS mail today. I did not have to interview either and nothing on my CSUDH student status/admission page changed to suggest that I would be receiving an offer already.

Here are my stats:

undergrad: 3.61
pre-req: 4.0
GRE: Verbal:160 Quantitative: 152 Writing: 5
no volunteer hours- i completed the class instead
Solid LORs

Congrats to those who have already been admitted and good luck to those waiting to join Cohort 11!

Did you get any emails at all? Or was it only the USPS mail?
Edit:
Apparently I got in.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who got in!!! :) I'm so nervous about this interview now!

Hi all,

I'm wondering if we can still take pre-reqs while applying for the program. I read something on the website, but I'm not sure if that counts for applying next year. If so, that totally messed up my plan. :(

I got in!!! See you guys at orientation!!! Just received my letter in the mail. I didn't have an interview!

I also received a letter of acceptance! Looking forward to meeting all that have been accepted and will be in the coming weeks. For those interviewing, good luck!

For reference, here are my stats:

Major: Psychology
Minor: Disability Studies
Undergrad GPA: 3.97
Pre Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 166V, 170Q, 5AWA
Shadowing: 150 hours; 3 settings
Good LORs

Last edited:
I also received an acceptance letter via USPS. So excited!! Congrats to those who also got in. I didn't have an interview. Good luck to those interviewing and to those still waiting!!

My stats:
Undergrad: CSUN
Major: child and adolescent development
Minor: psychology
Undergrad gpa: 3.4
Prerequisite gpa: 4.0
Gre: 301 combined AW 4.5
Volunteer: 100+ hours in outpatient pediatric
Great LORs: OT, professor, current supervisor

Does anyone know of cheap apartments around the campus?