This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilyAsh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an FMG. I graduated first week of July 2018. My internship doesn't start until December or maybe even February depending on the placement. That's how it is in my country. So now I'll have a good 5-7 months gap in my CV. Is this considered a gap for US residency program directors? Since I really don't have a choice in the matter... Will it be a disadvantage on my residency application? If it is then how can I avoid it? What can I do from now till December to bridge this gap? I need something light so I can focus on step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not that big of a deal, this is common occurrence. You'll simply say that a gap like this is common in your country's system, and that you were studying for S1. If you want a job of some sort, that's fine. When gaps become > 1 year, that tends to be more of a problem. And if the gap is in the past (i.e. you are currently in a clinical position in your home country when you're applying to the US), that also is much less of an issue.

Reactions: 1 users