This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackM255

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just recently took the DAT... I scored a 17AA, 19PAT, 19 Reading, 17QR, 16 Science average, my Ochem section was 15, where bio and Chem were 17. Overall I am not at all satisfied with the results as I felt quite prepared. I am concerned about my chances of getting admitted to schools with this score. My GPA is a 3.83 and I have a lot of Extra Curriculars ranging from many shadowing hours to internships at dental labs. I also have a job at a pediatric dental office as a "college job." My top school choice would be the University of Minnesota being as that is where I am from, however have a list of others obviously. How large of an impact will my DAT score have on my chances of being admitted? Also is it worth taking a second time? I am applying this rotation and wanted to get started early on my application in June but now with this, i am concerned it will hold me back. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely retake it

Reactions: 3 users
Retake it if you can (the sooner the better) - but keep in mind you'll need to wait at least 3 months since the last time you took it before you can register again. Your GPA is strong so you don't want your DAT to hold you back, which it currently will.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you're clearly a strong student. with a better study plan, you will certainly do better on your retake. i would recommend hitting dat destroyer pretty hard the next time around for your sciences. repetition is key. focus on your strengths and weaknesses. use chads and chemistryprep.com to get a good grip on your chemistrys. With a better focus on your sciences, you can score 20+ on each one next time. Best of luck to you, you can do it!

Reactions: 1 user
So regarding taking it again, Would I be able to apply still in June and indicate to the schools that I am retaking the test again in July?

So regarding taking it again, Would I be able to apply still in June and indicate to the schools that I am retaking the test again in July?
Yes, they have a place for that on the app.

A 17AA would have a huge impact, no matter the GPA. A 20+AA coupled with your GPA would put you in an excellent position. Let us know how you prepared.

You pretty much have to retake unless you want to throw away thousands of dollars. I mean im sure theres a guy out there that got in with similar scores but I wouldn't bet on it.

how much of an impact will your Dental Admissions Test score have on your admission to dental school?:wow:

OP, I'm pretty sure the DAT is weighted very highly, almost as equal to your GPA. Therefore, I bet you can tell how important it is to re-take it and get a better score. As the official ADEA guide for 2017-2018 said, it doesnt matter if you have the world's best ECs and experience. If your metrics are below the cutoffs for all schools then you're going to have a hard time. As others mentioned, definitely retake it ASAP.

How did you prepare for the exam?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I used the Kaplan course, but was only able to complete a little over half of the program. Being as I was studying along side my regular semester classes.

A 17AA would have a huge impact, no matter the GPA. A 20+AA coupled with your GPA would put you in an excellent position. Let us know how you prepared.
I prepared with a Kaplan course, unfortunately only finished about half of the program because of my busy class schedule. Wish that wasnt an excuse but yeah... was a little hard to balance not gonna lie.

Self study is the best way to go for the DAT. Kaplan and other class-type of study methods are a lot less cost effective and efficient in my opinion. Not to mention it gives yourself a great indicator of how self-disciplined you are

I prepared with a Kaplan course, unfortunately only finished about half of the program because of my busy class schedule. Wish that wasnt an excuse but yeah... was a little hard to balance not gonna lie.
There's your problem! Chads, DAT Destroyer and DAT Bootcamp. Take a look at some breakdowns in the DAT section.

Reactions: 1 users

Say no more. As Rekker said Kaplan is trash, use Chads Videos, Bootcamp, and Destroyer (Or as I like to call it the Holy Trinity).

Reactions: 1 users