DCOM vs PNWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EerieIsland

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between PNWU and DCOM. I did the Masters at DCOM and have built really strong relationships with the faculty- from fellowship offers, to grants for research I have had a strong year here. Attending medical school at DCOM would mean some of my classes like MGA, Histo, and Neuroanatomy would transfer over with the chance to be a TA. I'm also applying to be an RA (free housing).

But I also am from the Pacific Northwest and would like to practice in WA eventually so PNWU is really appealing. Their rotation sites are near my home, and I want to do residency in the Pacific Northwest too. Plus, at PNWU I would get to visit my family every weekend and not be so isolated like in DCOM.

I would appreciate opinions about which school would increase my chances for residency on the west coast, what the research facilities at PNWU are like, and overall where I would be able to build good relationships with faculty/get scholarship opportunities. I am trying to compare both programs and would like ANYONE's opinion about what they would do and why they would choose one school over the other. I am really really confused about what I want/what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Current student at PNWU and was a classmate of former student HeadtoDOC...I really wouldn't pay much attention to his comments. Many of us have tried to figure out who this person is, and, if we're right, there are other factors playing into his misgivings that he has left out.

That being said, I am a strong advocate of the program we have here. Specifically for you, if you're interested in returning to the PNW, and want to be close to family, PNWU would be a great fit. Being from the area gives you special consideration for rotation spots, which naturally sets you up for local residencies.

As to research, we are constantly developing our program. Every one of our faculty members is extremely dedicated, and truly want to be here. If you are interested in OMT, one of our faulty just one question writer of the year for the COMLEX, and another has held that title for both the USMLE and the COMLEX in the sciences portion.

Quite simply, it is a young, but constantly growing program with a clear mission and development plan in mind. We just added a Pharm program partnership with WSU, have growth plans for new buildings and plans to develop into a multi-specialty health university.

Any other questions, please feel free to message me.

Reactions: 2 users
I am trying to decide between PNWU and DCOM. I did the Masters at DCOM and have built really strong relationships with the faculty- from fellowship offers, to grants for research I have had a strong year here. Attending medical school at DCOM would mean some of my classes like MGA, Histo, and Neuroanatomy would transfer over with the chance to be a TA. I'm also applying to be an RA (free housing).

But I also am from the Pacific Northwest and would like to practice in WA eventually so PNWU is really appealing. Their rotation sites are near my home, and I want to do residency in the Pacific Northwest too. Plus, at PNWU I would get to visit my family every weekend and not be so isolated like in DCOM.

I would appreciate opinions about which school would increase my chances for residency on the west coast, what the research facilities at PNWU are like, and overall where I would be able to build good relationships with faculty/get scholarship opportunities. I am trying to compare both programs and would like ANYONE's opinion about what they would do and why they would choose one school over the other. I am really really confused about what I want/what to do.

I would go to PWNU because it sounds like that is where you want to be. It would be close to family and you would potentially have a higher chance at some of the west coast residency programs more familiar with PWNU grads. DCOM is a good school but the proximity to family probably shouldn't be overlooked

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you're leaning towards pnwu with your ties there, desire to live and practice there, and you have a support system there. Can't go wrong with any of that

If you would like to stay in the northwest, then PNWU is a very solid choice. I will be heading home for rotations next year and I cant be more excited. Only PNWU (or washington medical program) could let me do that.

As others have said ignore the HeadtoDOC because he sounds like a first year that was let go. Most of his claims are absurd.

Edit: Im also a second year at PNWU

Wow you guys are awesome! Thank you so much. Glad to know there's only one person throwing out all the negativity!

Current student at PNWU and was a classmate of former student HeadtoDOC...I really wouldn't pay much attention to his comments. Many of us have tried to figure out who this person is, and, if we're right, there are other factors playing into his misgivings that he has left out.

That being said, I am a strong advocate of the program we have here. Specifically for you, if you're interested in returning to the PNW, and want to be close to family, PNWU would be a great fit. Being from the area gives you special consideration for rotation spots, which naturally sets you up for local residencies.

As to research, we are constantly developing our program. Every one of our faculty members is extremely dedicated, and truly want to be here. If you are interested in OMT, one of our faulty just one question writer of the year for the COMLEX, and another has held that title for both the USMLE and the COMLEX in the sciences portion.

Quite simply, it is a young, but constantly growing program with a clear mission and development plan in mind. We just added a Pharm program partnership with WSU, have growth plans for new buildings and plans to develop into a multi-specialty health university.

Any other questions, please feel free to message me.

Wow this really helps a lot! I just want to know more about PNWU research opportunities. Do they have labs up there with year-round research opportunities/opportunities to present at national conferences? Does PNWU offer summer fellowships or study-abroad type things? Do students get plenty of opportunities to publish?

I'll chime in as a DCOM student and say that if the PNW is where your heart is, you have your answer. I think either school will train you adequately. However, if you have any questions about DCOM past second year (or anything at all really), feel free to hit me up.

Good luck!

Wow this really helps a lot! I just want to know more about PNWU research opportunities. Do they have labs up there with year-round research opportunities/opportunities to present at national conferences? Does PNWU offer summer fellowships or study-abroad type things? Do students get plenty of opportunities to publish?

I'm not a student here (applying June 2016), but I did go to their open house recently. It looks like they have a small lab with two PI's for basic science research and I heard about some groups doing clinical research with posters. It didn't seem like a research-heavy school but there were a couple opportunities if you're willing to look. They do have an OMT fellowship and an Anatomy fellowship (both 1 year programs).

Being one of your fellow classmates, I'll say this: go wherever you think you will be happy. Either institution will provide you with basically the same opportunities, the only difference is going to be whether or not you can make it through the 4 years. If you feel like you're missing home or missing family and friends here at DCOM, then go to PNWU. If you think you can be happy at either place, then personally I'd stay at DCOM. No reason to put the effort into rebuilding the wheel if you've already made your connections here, but that's just me.

Being one of your fellow classmates, I'll say this: go wherever you think you will be happy. Either institution will provide you with basically the same opportunities, the only difference is going to be whether or not you can make it through the 4 years. If you feel like you're missing home or missing family and friends here at DCOM, then go to PNWU. If you think you can be happy at either place, then personally I'd stay at DCOM. No reason to put the effort into rebuilding the wheel if you've already made your connections here, but that's just me.

I completely agree. This is where I'm at right now. Will make the decision soon!

Hey guys, sorry to ask another question on this thread, but this discusses my situation quite closely. I'm going to use my gap-year to do a masters and I have acceptances to LMU and Heritage (PNWU's program). It's crazy that I was able to squeeze in my application, interview, and acceptance into just two weeks. I don't really have ties to either school, so I'm mostly weighing the option based on which medical school is "better" as I'll probably stay on wherever I end up. I'm not totally sure what I want to specialize in, so really it comes down to which school will open the most doors for competitive residencies. The stats I'm finding online are pretty similar between the two schools. Some advice from a student or graduate would be awesome. Thanks!