This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xcar_

Eyes closed can't see
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've decided to enlist in the military. I have already taken my asvab, but as you know today is labor day and all the military recruiting offices are closed.

I've decided to join the military ( which branch Air force or Army?) . I'll be 24.

Before I ask any questions I have about 30 credits from attending college previously.
**I also plan on taking advantage of the TEXAS FRESH START**

I am not from Texas but assuming I sign a 4 year contract by the time I get out of active duty and move to TEXAS etc.. I;ll be ready to use the TEXAS FRESH START

- What classes should I be allowed to CLEP?
- What classes should I take online while active duty?

I'm pretty bright and mature so assuming I don't drink or party or waste my time. What would be a good choice of classes to fulfill while active duty. I know due to assignments time my differ but lets say I get a pretty average job from 7am-6pm and no deployments.

Members don't see this ad.

If your intent is to go to a TX school anyway, you should move to TX first before joining the military, which will then make TX your point of entry and leave you qualified for Hazelwood benefits (assuming they still exist when you need to use them). If you do, you should technically be able to get your undergrad and med school paid for between post 9/11 and Hazelwood.

As far as classes, you should fulfill your basics via online courses, such as history, etc, b/c you need them to graduate and having a degree, while not technically a requirement, is pretty standard for most medical school students.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not a doc or med student, at least for a while, but I have some concerns with your plan. Active Duty Navy.

Have you done any homework on what you actually want to do for the next few years of your life? I'd look into a specific job before blindly talking to recruiters, because they'll try to push you to the needs of their service. Not all military jobs are created equal. Some jobs will provide you with world-class training on nuclear reactors. Some jobs will throw you in a kitchen or a barber shop. This is something you will do for the next 4+ years of your life. Find something that will challenge you.

Again on the jobs, what you commit to determines what kind of credit, if any, you might be eligible for once you leave. Your job determines your schedules, places to work/live, your everything. Do your homework.

Finally, please understand that if you join the military, you don't choose where you work. The needs of the service will determine where you are placed. There are very few career paths where you know exactly where you'll work. I know of one that will keep you in Texas, as 90% of the jobs are there.

All that aside, how did you score on your ASVAB? What kinds of jobs excite you?

Last edited:
I think if your plan hinges on the 10yr texas forgiveness and you are 24 now, (as I understand the fresh start law) you have to wait until 10yrs after those classes to enroll and declare fresh start then

How many credits do you have now and what is the gpa?

I'm not convinced yet that college on the side while being active duty is your best bet to becoming a doctor

Also, as an aside, be prepared for the physical toll the military will take on you. I can probably count on one hand the number of vets I know that left military service without some sort of lifelong damage to their physical well being (and I know a lot of veterans). Statistically, 1 in 5 vets has an service-connected, rateable disability. My guess is that probably double that number or more have lifelong impairments that will manifest at some point in their life.

you can NOT assume a 7-6 job with no deployments. remember once you are in the military the mission comes before anything else. besides deployments there are numerous TDY and other training. i would get in, go through basic training, get settled into your military job, and see what classes you can take and what hours you have. the military might send you to a place like japan or germany where taking classes like organic chemistry is just not possible. remember the mission is first and foremost.

active duty air force. after joining it took me 12 years to get where i am. and for the past 4-5 years, i was working nights while taking the classes i need for med school since a lot of the advanced classes were only available during the day. many days where i got 1-2 hr of sleep to manage my schedule so it is not easy

also there is a military to med school program too, but you have to have a degree. 3.25 average or something and also a great package with awards, recommendations, etc. its is a SMP program the military has for USUHS

Reactions: 2 users
Okay, I've decided to enlist in the military. I have already taken my asvab, but as you know today is labor day and all the military recruiting offices are closed.

I've decided to join the military ( which branch Air force or Army?) . I'll be 24.

Before I ask any questions I have about 30 credits from attending college previously.

I am not from Texas but assuming I sign a 4 year contract by the time I get out of active duty and move to TEXAS etc.. I;ll be ready to use the TEXAS FRESH START

I'm pretty bright and mature so assuming I don't drink or party or waste my time. What would be a good choice of classes to fulfill while active duty. I know due to assignments time my differ but lets say I get a pretty average job from 7am-6pm and no deployments.
This is a terrible idea. Go sit this decision out for 2 weeks sounds like you’re not ready to make this commitment — that is a completely unreasonable expectation.

Any recruiter who says otherwise is lying to you

I'm active duty Army now. I can tell you these are completely unreasonable expectations. Neither the Army nor AF will let you pick where you live, you will start work at 0600 at the latest (PT), and will have multiple training and duty requirements that will regularly keep you past 6pm.

Completing a degree while serving is doable, but hard, and takes a long time. It's also usually a few years of service before you can reasonably even get started since the requirements of a new enlisted soldier are substantial. I would also advise that many medical schools will not accept prereqs that are online.

Now, if you plan on enlisting so that you can use the GI bill after service, that is different. Over your 4 year enlistment, you could probably knock out a few online classes that will help you toward your degree. After your service is over and you head to TX, you would be able to use the GI bill to finish your undergrad at a brick and mortar school, and then apply to med school.

Keep in mind, in that scenario, you are out of the Army/AF at 28, and probably have 2-3 more years of undergrad. You would be about 31/32 when you start med school. It's not unreasonable, I'm 35 and hope to matriculate next year at age 36; just understand a realistic timeline of what you're setting yourself up to do.

AND, perhaps most importantly, you need to understand what it means to serve. The military isn't just a day job like any other. If you're not committed to it, you're going to hate your 4 years. Understand what it means, not just what some recruiter is telling you.

also there is a military to med school program too, but you have to have a degree. 3.25 average or something and also a great package with awards, recommendations, etc. its is a SMP program the military has for USUHS

It’s called the Enlisted to Medical Degree Preparatory Program. The minimum gpa is 3.2, but most of us had higher than that. It’s really about your experiences, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. Your scores are important for getting you to the table, but it’s the whole package that matters.

I’m finishing up the second year of the program and applying to schools now, so I can answer any questions about it.

I'm active duty Army now. I can tell you these are completely unreasonable expectations. Neither the Army nor AF will let you pick where you live, you will start work at 0600 at the latest (PT), and will have multiple training and duty requirements that will regularly keep you past 6pm.

Completing a degree while serving is doable, but hard, and takes a long time. It's also usually a few years of service before you can reasonably even get started since the requirements of a new enlisted soldier are substantial. I would also advise that many medical schools will not accept prereqs that are online.

Now, if you plan on enlisting so that you can use the GI bill after service, that is different. Over your 4 year enlistment, you could probably knock out a few online classes that will help you toward your degree. After your service is over and you head to TX, you would be able to use the GI bill to finish your undergrad at a brick and mortar school, and then apply to med school.

Keep in mind, in that scenario, you are out of the Army/AF at 28, and probably have 2-3 more years of undergrad. You would be about 31/32 when you start med school. It's not unreasonable, I'm 35 and hope to matriculate next year at age 36; just understand a realistic timeline of what you're setting yourself up to do.

AND, perhaps most importantly, you need to understand what it means to serve. The military isn't just a day job like any other. If you're not committed to it, you're going to hate your 4 years. Understand what it means, not just what some recruiter is telling you.
It looks like I'll be signing a 3 year contract.
So not only will i get the GI Bill. It will give me a chance to come to TX, find a job and est myself.

I'm not going to offended or disrespect anybody. I Just want to get in and get out.

I'm not in a rush or anything I find myself behind all the time. I plan on matriculating into med school at the age of 36 no later.

By the way what's your MOS?

It’s called the Enlisted to Medical Degree Preparatory Program. The minimum gpa is 3.2, but most of us had higher than that. It’s really about your experiences, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. Your scores are important for getting you to the table, but it’s the whole package that matters.

I’m finishing up the second year of the program and applying to schools now, so I can answer any questions about it.
I'll look into that my only concern would be my GPA and if they allow students to use Texas fresh start .

I'll look into that my only concern would be my GPA and if they allow students to use Texas fresh start .

You have to have a degree before you can apply. The minimum gpa is 3.2, and you need to take the SAT or ACT within 3 years of applying. You also have to have been in for a minimum of 2 years before applying.

It looks like I'll be signing a 3 year contract.
So not only will i get the GI Bill. It will give me a chance to come to TX, find a job and est myself.

I'm not going to offended or disrespect anybody. I Just want to get in and get out.

I'm not in a rush or anything I find myself behind all the time. I plan on matriculating into med school at the age of 36 no later.

By the way what's your MOS?

I'm an Armor officer. If you're really interested in medicine, I would try to join as a medic.

If you are going Army I would be happy to talk to you about what it is really like to be a line medic, it was literally the best four years of my life. Other posters are correct though, don't expect to be able to dictate anything while you are enlisted in the military. Do take advantage of tuition assistance while you are in, that way you don't even have to touch your GI Bill until you ETS, and preferably at that point you will have almost completed a B.S. (assuming that you will need to take upper division science courses in person). Be wary of some of the "online" schools that cater to military. They may or may not be for profit schools that are not accredited correctly.

In addition, as a medic deployments are pretty much routine, I know way more medics that went overseas than medics who did not (I served 2011-2015). I have a few friends from AIT that are overseas as I type this. (Medics are after all the second largest MOS of the Army behind the Infantry.) We are still in Afghanistan, and many people don't realize that. The unit you are assigned to is the key to how much free time as well as the deployment rotations you will have. You have absolutely no control over what unit you go to. If you get assigned to infantry or cavalry units you will spend a ton of time in the field so college while you are assigned to these type of units will be quite impossible because you will be spending weeks or months in the desert or in the woods with little to no reception (if you are even allowed electronics) running 24 hour rotating FTX (field training exercises).

Please don't join, especially as a medic, unless you have a desire to serve your country and the soldiers that protect it. There are way, way to many people that join with expectations that are not realistic and it makes for a difficult, and in some cases, dangerous environment. Complacency, no matter the MOS, can easily equal body bags downrange. A medic serves his/her soldiers, never forget that. They, the soldiers that the medic is assigned to, come first.......Ut Ceteri Vivant.

Reactions: 1 users