DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, this is the same computer I bought last summer! I guess I won't have to get used to a new one.

I have had absolutely no problems with mine. It's fast and fun! The only down side is that it is rather big.

As for the insurence, I feel like it is pretty expensive. I pay about $100 less a month through UT. I think we may cover myself and the kids and look at an individual policy for my husband. We will see.

Oh -how funny that it seemed like Dr. Leo's email was answering all the questions that have come up on the DCOM thread :laugh: :laugh:

I actually sit on a committee at UT that helped pick the insurance you're talking about. The reason its cheaper is because we got a package plan for all of the UT schools in the entire state so its a quantity deal. They can give us a cheaper price because they'll be insuring thousands more people. It's also somewhat due to the fact that a lot of UT students just use UT's on site medical facility for routine things so that saves the insurance company money as well. With LMU not having nearly the student base that UT has it would probably be much more difficult for them to leverage a deal like that. From going over all the plans we did last summer before UT made the change I'd say that for what LMU has they've done a good job as its always a give and take when you balance payments, premiums and services. The PPO adds a lot of value in and of itself. I'm a big fan of PPO over HMO anyday.

Members don't see this ad.

Idk, $144 seems a lot to me bc my employer now pays everything. Why does it have to be so damn expensive to try to be a doctor?! DAMN IT!

I think the reason why their using XP is because they dont have a tablet version of vista out yet....
It's available for this particular tablet via Gateway... but regardless, it probably is better that we're not getting it...um, that I'm not getting it, since I'm not familar with how to use vista anyway!:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I could find my information about what my company pays compared to what I pay for our health policy...it's over 300/month total if I remember correctly...

I thought 144/month for such a small group was quite impressive.

All of this insurrance talk is making me a little ill... try paying $600/month for insurance, then complain! ;)

All of this insurrance talk is making me a little ill... try paying $600/month for insurance, then complain! ;)

No no no....$600/mo would bankrupt me in...well half a month. Luckily my parents have a plan for their company and they just list my siblings and I as employees since we work there when needed so I'm covered.

I actually sit on a committee at UT that helped pick the insurance you're talking about. The reason its cheaper is because we got a package plan for all of the UT schools in the entire state so its a quantity deal. They can give us a cheaper price because they'll be insuring thousands more people. It's also somewhat due to the fact that a lot of UT students just use UT's on site medical facility for routine things so that saves the insurance company money as well. With LMU not having nearly the student base that UT has it would probably be much more difficult for them to leverage a deal like that. From going over all the plans we did last summer before UT made the change I'd say that for what LMU has they've done a good job as its always a give and take when you balance payments, premiums and services. The PPO adds a lot of value in and of itself. I'm a big fan of PPO over HMO anyday.

I figured that was why, but it doesn't change the increase in $$$$ coming out my pocket. $468 x 12 = $5616.00 Ouch!!!!

I figured that was why, but it doesn't change the increase in $$$$ coming out my pocket. $468 x 12 = $5616.00 Ouch!!!!

Oh I definitely agree on that. That's a huge amount of money. Oh yeah...how'd you do on exam 3? I really need to start studying prior to the night before.

OK! I'M BACK!!!! WOOT!!! DONE!!!! Well, not until tomorrow afternoon, but our part is done. :clap::hardy: :clap: :hardy:

I also got the email. Everything looks great! It is so beautiful down there too. All those beautiful trees and green grass.:love: I am so excited! It is only about six weeks until we move!:eek: OMG! It is really happening!:)

Oh I definitely agree on that. That's a huge amount of money. Oh yeah...how'd you do on exam 3? I really need to start studying prior to the night before.

Not Well...Uugghh! I guess we will have to kill the last one and the final.

OK! I'M BACK!!!! WOOT!!! DONE!!!! Well, not until tomorrow afternoon, but our part is done. :clap::hardy: :clap: :hardy:

I also got the email. Everything looks great! It is so beautiful down there too. All those beautiful trees and green grass.:love: I am so excited! It is only about six weeks until we move!:eek: OMG! It is really happening!:)

Congrats! I am just as freaked out and excited as you! I cannot wait until school starts.:thumbup: :thumbup:

So I decided to stay at the DCOM Apartments, looking for a house when you live 2,000 miles away from a town of ony 5,000 people kindda sucks. Plus I dont wanna UHAL all my furniture and move again in two yrs, plus i didnt wanna have to worry about utility bills, cable and internet! So the people I was looking for a house with and I decided to stay next to eachother at the apts.

Anyone else staying there??

Just got the results from most of my blood work, they had to send out the qualude test because its not common and the titers for chickenpox and rubeola are gonna take another day or two... Only tested positive for one drug... darvon... luckily I have a perscription for it and the doc put in a side note lol...... Good thing the crack didnt show up.... jk kidding.... so Im almost finished with the health stuff....

Members don't see this ad :)
So I decided to stay at the DCOM Apartments, looking for a house when you live 2,000 miles away from a town of ony 5,000 people kindda sucks. Plus I dont wanna UHAL all my furniture and move again in two yrs, plus i didnt wanna have to worry about utility bills, cable and internet! So the people I was looking for a house with and I decided to stay next to eachother at the apts.

I'm hoping that I just get an apartment due to the cost of the medical apts but in the end I may just end up there myself. I know there are several people on here that have already signed up for them.

I am, and so is my best friend. There are also a couple other people that are!

Just got the results from most of my blood work, they had to send out the qualude test because its not common and the titers for chickenpox and rubeola are gonna take another day or two... Only tested positive for one drug... darvon... luckily I have a perscription for it and the doc put in a side note lol...... Good thing the crack didnt show up.... jk kidding.... so Im almost finished with the health stuff....

I just mailed that stuff in today. FINALLY DONE!!! It cost me $1.11 to mail everything! :smuggrin: I think that the lab may have done the wrong drug test though. No one seemed to really know what that test was. But, I had one done and if they need more, I will take another one down in Tennessee. I have to get my last hep B down there anyway.

Gateway M285-E: Convertible Laptop
If you are looking it up on the Gateway website, it's model CX210.

Guess what guys!!! It looks like I will be covered with the insurance plan after all! Pray that it all works out, because if it does, I will be saving almost $500 a month (and I will have a better plan than I do now)!:D

If you are looking it up on the Gateway website, it's model CX210.

Guess what guys!!! It looks like I will be covered with the insurance plan after all! Pray that it all works out, because if it does, I will be saving almost $500 a month (and I will have a better plan than I do now)!:D

Mine is the M-285 which is what LMU is listing. I believe it is the education model...or maybe just last years.

http://utbookstore.tennessee.edu/uccs/pdffiles/gateway.pdf

Hopefully this will give you some info.

What email?

I'll be kickin it up on the hill in the DCOM apartments, too. I signed up pretty much for the same reasons.

Hey Segar...i haven't found out either...don't worry....i called today and they said the letters were sent out yesterday.

Fermetta...wow you interviewed a solid week after I did and heard back already....now im really crappin my pants...i really like this school and hope i get in, but now i'm kind of questioning everything.

Mr. Carney said that due to regulations, he is not allowed to give any info over the phone...any truth in this?

:scared: :scared:

Hey Segar...i haven't found out either...don't worry....i called today and they said the letters were sent out yesterday.

Fermetta...wow you interviewed a solid week after I did and heard back already....now im really crappin my pants...i really like this school and hope i get in, but now i'm kind of questioning everything.

Mr. Carney said that due to regulations, he is not allowed to give any info over the phone...any truth in this?

It's only human nature to second guess things in this situation. That's why the internet and SDN can be a blessing and a curse at the same time. It's great for getting to know potential students and getting information about interviews, but it's kind of negative when you find out someone got a call and you didn't - it's hard not to jump to unsubstantiated conclusions.

Dr. Leo told me via email this morning that letters go out on Friday, but who knows for sure. Maybe the letters from last week's committee meeting went out yesterday, and the letters from today's meeting will go out tomorrow. I kind of get the sense that they are wanting to really start solidifying the class now. I think the last group of interviews is next Tuesday.

Yes this is true. If you are the one who called them then they have no way of knowing if you are who you say you are so they can't say anything.

Yes this is true. If you are the one who called them then they have no way of knowing if you are who you say you are so they can't say anything.

Pretty much.

Mr. Carney said he couldn't tell me either.

Then about an hour later Dr. Stowers called me with the news.

There have been people who were accepted that did not get the call from Dr. Stowers or perhaps they missed the call -I don't see Dr. Stowers leaving a message. So, don't give up! I'd say the letters went out Wed. since Mr. Carney and Dr. Stowers did not have their meeting until Tuesday this week. That is another thing that I have really appriciated about DCOM -no run around.

:luck: :luck: Good Luck :luck: :luck:

I am with you too, strangely i always got the email from Dr.leo but this time around some how i didn't.

Maybe Dr. Leo has been lurking on SDN and took you of the list on purpose! Can we say paranoia? :scared:

Maybe Dr. Leo has been lurking on SDN and took you of the list on purpose! Can we say paranoia? :scared:

Someone mention on one of the last DCOM threads that SDN and our threads came up during their conversations with folks at DCOM.

*Sunny waves at Dr Leo, Dr Stowers and Paul Carney* :D

Someone mention on one of the last DCOM threads that SDN and our threads came up during their conversations with folks at DCOM.

*Sunny waves at Dr Leo, Dr Stowers and Paul Carney* :D

LOL! HI!!!!:D I WANT A T-SHIRT AND A NEW PEN!!! (My pen died. I was very sad about that. It was my favorite pen.:( )

Well, it is a public forum and they certainly can come read what we write anytime. :laugh:

I called DCOM and the receptionist told me over the phone...

she said: "ok let me look up ur file. ummm well it looks like you're in good shape!"

Me: "What the hell does that mean lady? Did I get in YES or NO!??"

Lady: "Well im not allowed to say anything but you will be receiving a call from Dr. Stowers shortly, congratulations!"

Me: "So I did get in?"

Lady: "Well I didn't say that, im not allowed to say, but congratulations!"

Me: "Damn it lady, screw you, I did get in din't I?!"

Lady: "like I said, congratulations!!!"

Me: "ahhh, what a relief!!!"

I called DCOM and the receptionist told me over the phone...

she said: "ok let me look up ur file. ummm well it looks like you're in good shape!"

Me: "What the hell does that mean lady? Did I get in YES or NO!??"

Lady: "Well im not allowed to say anything but you will be receiving a call from Dr. Stowers shortly, congratulations!"

Me: "So I did get in?"

Lady: "Well I didn't say that, im not allowed to say, but congratulations!"

Me: "Damn it lady, screw you, I did get in din't I?!"

Lady: "like I said, congratulations!!!"

Me: "ahhh, what a relief!!!"
Congratulations!

You better send that lady a fruit basket and some flowers before she shreds your file and acceptance! :smuggrin:

Congratulations!

You better send that lady a fruit basket and some flowers before she shreds your file and acceptance! :smuggrin:

haha... well this was back in November. I think DCOM was kindda leaking info thru the phone and i'm guessing Stowers found out and thats why now they really dont do that anymore. I still dont know who that lady was!!!

BY THE WAY: I ALWAYS THOUGHT JODY WAS A FEMALE, TIL I CALLED "HER" AND FOUND OUT IT WAS A DUDE!!!

haha... well this was back in November. I think DCOM was kindda leaking info thru the phone and i'm guessing Stowers found out and thats why now they really dont do that anymore. I still dont know who that lady was!!!

BY THE WAY: I ALWAYS THOUGHT JODY WAS A FEMALE, TIL I CALLED "HER" AND FOUND OUT IT WAS A DUDE!!!

Not only a dude, but a tall manly dude with a deep voice! I hope it was through e-mail! How did he respond?

WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! IT'S OFFICIAL!!! WE ARE NOW THE PROUD OWNERS OF A HOUSE IN SPEEDWELL, TENNESSEE!!!!!! YAY!!!!:clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

Also, if you need an attorney for a closing, I highly recommend:

James Golden
1914 Cumberland Ave
Middlesboro, KY 40965
(606) 248-2766

I think the process may have taken five years off my life, but I am so happy right now and it was so worth it!:D :thumbup:

WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! IT'S OFFICIAL!!! WE ARE NOW THE PROUD OWNERS OF A HOUSE IN SPEEDWELL, TENNESSEE!!!!!! YAY!!!!:clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

Also, if you need an attorney for a closing, I highly recommend:

James Golden
1914 Cumberland Ave
Middlesboro, KY 40965
(606) 248-2766

I think the process may have taken five years off my life, but I am so happy right now and it was so worth it!:D :thumbup:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you guys:clap: :clap: ...now if we can just get a realtor to call us back we would be in good shape.

So when are you moving down there

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you guys:clap: :clap: ...now if we can just get a realtor to call us back we would be in good shape.

So when are you moving down there

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Call a different realtor. They are supposed to work for you. You shouldn't have to chase them down. Who were you working with?

We are moving May 21, but will probably not actually be there until May 22. I am SOOOO excited. I am also sad at the same time because all of our family is up here, but I love DCOM and Tennessee and I know that I am making the right decision. :love: :)

Now if I could only get everything packed! :smuggrin:

Congrats. The house actually looks stable ... :thumbup:

Not only a dude, but a tall manly dude with a deep voice! I hope it was through e-mail! How did he respond?

Is he cute? Married?

Does he look like this--->
smith10.jpg

thanks for your replies guys....i really appreciate the feed back....

Segar, you are right....SDN can go both ways...lol...

Yep. He even carries the rope and gun. He does have to catch his lunch you know :smuggrin:

I sure hope Jody has a good pair of mossy oak break-up camoflauge and a decent tree stand. A bow hunter could go nuts in the mountains around TN! :smuggrin: