DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed DCOM asking when they were going to start pulling off of the waitlist and Jody responded quickly, stating he didn't know the answer, but Mr. Carney would email me. Then about a week later I got an email from Mr. Carney (anyone else?) asking if I still wanted to be on the waitlist, so I responded with an emphatic yes and reasked when he thought they might be pulling off of it. I still haven't received a response. Did I ask a taboo question or something? When I emailed him accepting the waitlist position in the beginning, he sent a response right back stating he received the email and he had me on the list. Now I'm wondering if he received my second email, doesn't want to answer, or just doesn't have an answer! Ugh! I feel like calling would be over-the-top. Doctormom, can you make them love me...put in the good word?! I love barbecues and horses! I'll bring my croquet set!
I recently received an e-mail from admissions saying that there are only a few seats left in the class, and that they will start pulling from the waitlist soon... and that there are about 112 students on the waitlist. I hope this news is inspiring and not discouraging. I hope the best for you!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on March 27th and got the call today on April 4th if that helps you. (I was the tall, dark, and handsome one)

I have been bugging them constantly so maybe that's why I heard back so promptly.

Btw, when is the bbq?

P.S. Where I come from bbq = pig. There better not be any hamburgers.
If you guys want me to try to score us a pig to roast, I can give it a try. The uncle of a friend of mine owns a hog farm so we might be able to get a good deal on one.

I interviewed on March 27th and got the call today on April 4th if that helps you. (I was the tall, dark, and handsome one)

I have been bugging them constantly so maybe that's why I heard back so promptly.

Btw, when is the bbq?

Well, there will be a little bit of everything. August 4th is the tentative BBQ date.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you guys want me to try to score us a pig to roast, I can give it a try. The uncle of a friend of mine owns a hog farm so we might be able to get a good deal on one.

My husband always wanted to have a pig roast. We should try to do that. He would love that. But....POOR PIG!:oops: I love pigs!:love: :love: :love:

I pretty much love all animals and hate to eat anything that still looks like one.

My husband always wanted to have a pig roast. We should try to do that. He would love that. But....POOR PIG!:oops: I love pigs!:love: :love: :love:

I pretty much love all animals and hate to eat anything that still looks like one.
*NOTE TO SELF*: Take the head and hooves off the pig prior to transporting it to DoctorMom's.......

I emailed DCOM asking when they were going to start pulling off of the waitlist and Jody responded quickly, stating he didn't know the answer, but Mr. Carney would email me. Then about a week later I got an email from Mr. Carney (anyone else?) asking if I still wanted to be on the waitlist, so I responded with an emphatic yes and reasked when he thought they might be pulling off of it. I still haven't received a response. Did I ask a taboo question or something? When I emailed him accepting the waitlist position in the beginning, he sent a response right back stating he received the email and he had me on the list. Now I'm wondering if he received my second email, doesn't want to answer, or just doesn't have an answer! Ugh! I feel like calling would be over-the-top. Doctormom, can you make them love me...put in the good word?! I love barbecues and horses! I'll bring my croquet set!

I got the same email and I told him I would like to still be considered as an alternate. I called Paul Carney about a week or so ago and he said after all of the interviews are done and if there are still spots open they will look at pulling people off the alternate list. He thought it would be the beginning of May or so. I am still hoping with you as well

Good luck to all those on the alternate list.....I hope that those who truly want in to this school will get noticed.

Seger....if you are reading this.....when was it that you interviewed bro? Dont be too terribly worried....things will work out dude.

*Note #2 to self*: put pig's brain in a jar for Fermata. :smuggrin:

I'm just joking. The shoulder is usually the tastiest part.

However, there is this restaurant locally that serves "Brains and eggs" for about $6. I haven't quite become adventurous enough yet.

Although it is fun eating meat off the pig's spine like it's corn on the cob. :D

I guess I'll be bringing the green bean casserole.

However, there is this restaurant locally that serves "Brains and eggs" for about $6. I haven't quite become adventurous enough yet.

Although it is fun eating meat off the pig's spine like it's corn on the cob. :D

I'll fix tater tot casserole if DoctorMom will let me borrow her kitchen for an hour or so.

I got the same email and I told him I would like to still be considered as an alternate. I called Paul Carney about a week or so ago and he said after all of the interviews are done and if there are still spots open they will look at pulling people off the alternate list. He thought it would be the beginning of May or so. I am still hoping with you as well

Good luck businessman and Seger and everyone else on the waitlist!:luck: :luck: :luck: Businessman, I'm guessing since you still have your fingers crossed for DCOM that you are still waiting on WVSOM? Have you sent letters of intent to either school? I haven't seen you post very much lately, I hope you are standing strong!

:luck: :luck: Good Luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

The whole pig thing sounds disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though I am not a vegaterian, I grew up one and still do not eat much meat. My husband is still a vegaterian so I think I will be bringing veggie dogs...and southern macaroni salad and southern potato salad.

DocMom you better be making a list of everyones commitments :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

Fermata - where are you from?? where is this restaurant?

docmom - put me down for Northern pasta salad!

OK all......I'm heading for the airport to catch my flight back to Hooterville (that's a Green Acres reference for all the kids out there....look it up on Wikipedia if you don't know what it is). I'll talk to you all when I get back.....take care and good luck to all who are waiting to hear back from the schools (especially DCOM).

Mmmmmm....Y'all are making me hungry!!!:laugh:

I will make a list of who is coming and who is bringing up as we get closer. I hope that lots of people will come and we don't want to get 24 bowls of potato salad. I think I am going to have to find tables or something for everyone so you don't have to sit out in the pasture with the horses. :D

BBQ elitists will consider this a "cookout". ;)

Looks like I need to show up just to figure out the differences in the regional "salads"! :)

I guess I fall under that BBQ elitist category :)

Good luck to all those on the alternate list.....I hope that those who truly want in to this school will get noticed.

Seger....if you are reading this.....when was it that you interviewed bro? Dont be too terribly worried....things will work out dude.

I'm not really worried...just frustrated. :mad: I interviewed 3/16, and apparently letters are going out tomorrow. I'll know something early next week one way or the other.

I think DCOM students should be open about it:thumbup:
I'm for the variety of sorts. If we start early enough, we could have lunch and dinner out of the BBQ, and variety is definitely necessary!

I'm for the variety of sorts. If we start early enough, we could have lunch and dinner out of the BBQ, and variety is definitely necessary!

Come to the darkside.

BBQ.gif

Is anyone else worried about our housing situation???Everyone staying in the old Hotel?any Colts fans?

You have a big Colts Fan right here, and I am living in the apartments too so we can watch the games together!:p

I will make a list of who is coming and who is bringing up as we get closer. I hope that lots of people will come and we don't want to get 24 bowls of potato salad. I think I am going to have to find tables or something for everyone so you don't have to sit out in the pasture with the horses. :D

Nascardoc and I will bring plenty of desserts...i love to bake:love: :love:

:laugh: I think we need at least one of everything! Well, I guess not one...one hamburger wouldn't work, but you know what I mean. :D

I actually think we need to get another grill too. We have a huge gas grill with a rotisserie and deep fryer on it, but maybe we will get a charcoal grill too. They are usually not too much money and we need the extra space and all BBQ elitists don't like propane.:D

Good luck businessman and Seger and everyone else on the waitlist!:luck: :luck: :luck: Businessman, I'm guessing since you still have your fingers crossed for DCOM that you are still waiting on WVSOM? Have you sent letters of intent to either school? I haven't seen you post very much lately, I hope you are standing strong!

:luck: :luck: Good Luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks...I am still standing strong. I am working on letters of intent still. I need to get them out soon.

I bet there are some folding tables and chairs we could borrow from LMU! Plus, it will be hot! Anyone who has a canopy should bring it...we could put the kids under it while we eat and then steal the shade while they play and we chat.

*sigh* I just finished filling out my fafsa form... I am sooo glad that I'm not going to school to be a CPA! PS It looks like I'll have to bring the sugar-free desserts to the bbq, although I'm sure I'll be the only one eating them!:D

OMG!!! I am going to get the kids ready so we can go off to the closing!!!:scared: :eek: :clap: WOW!!!! It won't be official until tomorrow afternoon though. I AM SUCH AN EMOTIONAL WRECK!!! LOL! I can't wait until it is over. :luck: :luck: :laugh: :D

*sigh* I just finished filling out my fafsa form... I am sooo glad that I'm not going to school to be a CPA! PS It looks like I'll have to bring the sugar-free desserts to the bbq, although I'm sure I'll be the only one eating them!:D

I just finished nascardoc's (I am almost a CPA)...in tax season right now...this is an open invitation...i will do anyone's tax returns next year and FAFSA forms.:love:

I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseum already but what would be the best place to start looking for housing between Knoxville and Harrogate?

I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseum already but what would be the best place to start looking for housing between Knoxville and Harrogate?

we are looking in Maynardville, Jacksboro

Depending on how close you want to be to one or the other, the following have all been suggested..

Halls Crossroads
Maynardville
Tazewell
LaFollette/Jacksboro

We're probably looking mostly in the Halls area.

As for Barbecue..Wiki actually does a pretty good job....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue

I happen to define it as a "cookout" when you are grilling burgers with friends...and grilling is what you do to steaks/burgers/pieces of chicken and BBQ is what you do to ribs/pork butt/whole chickens, etc... :)

As you might be able to tell...two of my favorite things in the world are sports and bbq...you throw in being on or near a lake...and I'm in heaven. :)

new pictures and insurance stuff and computer info is up now!!!

but still no t-shirts :(

Hey Everyone,

Dr. Leo just sent a mass email to everyone detailing info on the building, the apratments, insurance, and the computers - with pictures.

Everything is looking really good. WOW!!! :eek:

They decided on the Gateway Tablets and BlueCross/BlueSheild of TN for the insurance. You can get details online and in the email.

yeah, the computer seems to be top of the line.

It has a large screen, good battery life, and seems to be built to run like a student computer. It doesn't run games as weel, but in my opinion, that is a good thing.

I am not sure about the insurance, that will tkae some looking into, but it doesnt not seem too bad at a first glance!

I had been checking out health insurance online and I had found rates ranging from 70 to 220 dollars per month for a single person. I may still look into finding my own insurance because I might be able to find a policy a little cheaper than 144. The dental insurance however at 22.50 a month sounds like a bargin and Id definately take advantage of that. The computer package they picked seems to be a really good one, the only negative reviews I could find are about its weight 6.9 lbs and a midrange speed harddrive, other than that their all good reviews. Did they change the move in date for the apartments from July 29th to the 20th just wondering if that might be a mistake on the date.... Id be happy to move in earlier.....

No Vista on the laptops:( but everything else looks great! I am still planning on visiting the campus this weekend, armed with my digital camera, so if anyone wants pics of anything inparticular, let me know!:D

No Vista on the laptops:( but everything else looks great! I am still planning on visiting the campus this weekend, armed with my digital camera, so if anyone wants pics of anything inparticular, let me know!:D

No vista is a good thing, otherwise I would have needed to buy all new programs since none of the old windows programs work on the new vista.

I think the reason why their using XP is because they dont have a tablet version of vista out yet....

yeah, the computer seems to be top of the line.

It has a large screen, good battery life, and seems to be built to run like a student computer. It doesn't run games as weel, but in my opinion, that is a good thing.

I am not sure about the insurance, that will tkae some looking into, but it doesnt not seem too bad at a first glance!

Hey, this is the same computer I bought last summer! I guess I won't have to get used to a new one.

I have had absolutely no problems with mine. It's fast and fun! The only down side is that it is rather big.

As for the insurence, I feel like it is pretty expensive. I pay about $100 less a month through UT. I think we may cover myself and the kids and look at an individual policy for my husband. We will see.

Oh -how funny that it seemed like Dr. Leo's email was answering all the questions that have come up on the DCOM thread :laugh: :laugh:

I had been checking out health insurance online and I had found rates ranging from 70 to 220 dollars per month for a single person. I may still look into finding my own insurance because I might be able to find a policy a little cheaper than 144. The dental insurance however at 22.50 a month sounds like a bargin and Id definately take advantage of that. The computer package they picked seems to be a really good one, the only negative reviews I could find are about its weight 6.9 lbs and a midrange speed harddrive, other than that their all good reviews. Did they change the move in date for the apartments from July 29th to the 20th just wondering if that might be a mistake on the date.... Id be happy to move in earlier.....

I was actually pretty happy with the rate. I pay about $20 more per month now for BCBS in IL for an individual account and it has increased each year I've had it. On top of it all, this is a PPO plan, which is always good. HMO's are not something I want to mess around with - very restricting. So, be careful with the individual plans if that is the route you take and make sure you get a PPO.

The only bad thing about this plan is the sperm preservation is not covered :smuggrin:

Hey, this is the same computer I bought last summer! I guess I won't have to get used to a new one.

I have had absolutely no problems with mine. It's fast and fun! The only down side is that it is rather big.

As for the insurence, I feel like it is pretty expensive. I pay about $100 less a month through UT. I think we may cover myself and the kids and look at an individual policy for my husband. We will see.

Oh -how funny that it seemed like Dr. Leo's email was answering all the questions that have come up on the DCOM thread :laugh: :laugh:

Except where the hell our t-shirts are at!!! Where's all the DCOM stuff???

I was pretty impressed with the insurance rates, though I hope not to have to use many of them...

My company has some of the best benefits I've ever seen, and the rates are at least decent compared to what our large pharma company offers.

Best part? PPO

I hope that I'm on my wife's policy, if any hospitals in TN ever get around to actually calling her for interviews! :)