This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

batRDH

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I have a undergrad GPA from a foreign institution which is about 3.17 after conversation to American scale. I also got my associates in dental hygiene with a 3.12 cumulative GPA. I want to know how my gpa is calculated by AADSAS because my dental hygiene gpa was calculated on a much harder scale than most schools.
Here is the grading rubric for the hygiene gpa, I do want to mention that my transcript does not list this rubric, it lists my schools general rubric. If I send in my hygiene rubric along with my transcript will that be taken into consideration? I also have excellent EC’s and LOR’s and 2yrs working experience in hygiene. I haven’t taken the DAT yet but I’m hoping for a 23+. I also failed Gen chem 2 once, and physics 1, retook at a CC with an A. Do I honestly have a chance of acceptance?

A 95 – 100
A- 93 – 94
B+ 91 – 92
B 88 – 90
B- 85 – 87
C+ 82 – 84
C 80 – 81
D 75 – 79
F 74 and below

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get the foreign transcript evaluation? You really don't know the result until you have that done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you even need to enter your foreign coursework on AADSAS?

Do you even need to enter your foreign coursework on AADSAS?
No it just requires me to send in a report of the evaluation, so im assuming that it’s not calculated into my gpa

Foreign coursework is not included in your AADSAS GPA.
I thought so. I’m more concerned about my Dental Hygiene GPA from my associates degree that I completed here in America. The grading scale used is harder than the scale for most schools, I’m wondering if that will be taken into consideration

I thought so. I’m more concerned about my Dental Hygiene GPA from my associates degree that I completed here in America. The grading scale used is harder than the scale for most schools, I’m wondering if that will be taken into consideration
Does the transcript just show numbers?

Does the transcript just show numbers?
No just letter grades unfortunately and based on this scale my scores of 84% have a C+. I wonder if I can have my school send in the hygiene grading scale along with the official transcript and if AADSAS will consider that

No just letter grades unfortunately and based on this scale my scores of 84% have a C+. I wonder if I can have my school send in the hygiene grading scale along with the official transcript and if AADSAS will consider that
I think AADSAS provides to schools both their summary of your coursework as well as scans of your transcripts.

Do you know what your sGPA is?

I think AADSAS provides to schools both their summary of your coursework as well as scans of your transcripts.
Don't think so. Pretty sure adcoms only have access to the generated PDF from AADSAS and no real access to your individual transcripts until after you send them upon being admitted. OP can only enter what his/her transcript shows into AADSAS, they don't care if your school uses a different rubric. In this case, OP would just enter the letter grades as is.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know what your sGPA is?
It’s 3.20 because a lot of my hygiene courses are computed in the science gpa
Does AADSAS not consider the grading scale at all? Just the letter grade?
This is making me really sad

It’s 3.20 because a lot of my hygiene courses are computed in the science gpa
Does AADSAS not consider the grading scale at all? Just the letter grade?
This is making me really sad
During verification of transcripts and GPA calculations, is everything just going to be based off of the letter grade? :(

I believe the instructions says that if both letter grade and percentage are shown are transcript, you would enter the letter grades into AADSAS. If only the percentage is shown, then you would go off of the grading scale provided by AADSAS for conversion to a letter grade and then enter that into AADSAS.

Reactions: 1 user
During verification of transcripts and GPA calculations, is everything just going to be based off of the letter grade? :(
Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt because I am simply a pre-dental student and by no means does that mean you should listen to me. That being said, your GPA is a little low and that is what they are going to look at. Sure difficulty of course load etc. is going to be taken into account, but my friend's cousin just graduated from MIT with a 3.35 and decent DAT and had 1 dental school acceptance after applying to 16 schools. The DAT is where you are going to haves to shine. It's going to take at least a 21, but keep in mind a 23 is up around the 98th percentile, so while it's not impossible, it is by no means an easy score to achieve. If you can commit at least a month and a half maybe, or maybe longer, to studying 7 hours a day, then maybe a 23 is possible. This is at least how much time it would take me, maybe you can do it in less. What you do have going for you is your dental experience, but that will only get you so far.

One thing you need to be careful about is making excuses for your performance to admissions committees (if you were thinking about it). There are times where I myself feel like it's not fair for how hard I've had to work to get to the point I am at now, but at the end of the day there are way more people who have had it way harder and have performed to a higher degree than you have. Not trying to vilify you, I'm more or less speaking to people who post here talking about their terrible first year, semester off for a death in the family, etc.

All in all, a masters wouldn't hurt to bring your GPA up and if that isn't possible, doing a post-bacc of any sort would help as well. You're going to need at least a 21 to have a solid chance, you are below the GPA average for average matriculants so you are going to have to be above average on your DAT. The best of luck to you!

Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt because I am simply a pre-dental student and by no means does that mean you should listen to me. That being said, your GPA is a little low and that is what they are going to look at. Sure difficulty of course load etc. is going to be taken into account, but my friend's cousin just graduated from MIT with a 3.35 and decent DAT and had 1 dental school acceptance after applying to 16 schools. The DAT is where you are going to haves to shine. It's going to take at least a 21, but keep in mind a 23 is up around the 98th percentile, so while it's not impossible, it is by no means an easy score to achieve. If you can commit at least a month and a half maybe, or maybe longer, to studying 7 hours a day, then maybe a 23 is possible. This is at least how much time it would take me, maybe you can do it in less. What you do have going for you is your dental experience, but that will only get you so far.

One thing you need to be careful about is making excuses for your performance to admissions committees (if you were thinking about it). There are times where I myself feel like it's not fair for how hard I've had to work to get to the point I am at now, but at the end of the day there are way more people who have had it way harder and have performed to a higher degree than you have. Not trying to vilify you, I'm more or less speaking to people who post here talking about their terrible first year, semester off for a death in the family, etc.

All in all, a masters wouldn't hurt to bring your GPA up and if that isn't possible, doing a post-bacc of any sort would help as well. You're going to need at least a 21 to have a solid chance, you are below the GPA average for average matriculants so you are going to have to be above average on your DAT. The best of luck to you!

Thanks for the advise! I’m looking into Masters Program’s. Like you said, I’m just disappointed that I’ve worked so hard, yet my grades are low because of the grading scale used by my school. But I’m trying to study really hard for the DAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.