Dental Hygiene or Biology to Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeepingUpWithK

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently a junior in college majoring in Biology to earn my bachelor's degree BUT the college which I'm attending had just merged with another college which offers dental hygiene. So now I'm stuck with a decision of whether I should
A) change my major to DH and try to get into Dental School
B) change my major to DH and get my Associates degree then go back to school for Biology for my bachelor's then Dental School
C) Continue with Biology and earn my bachelor's then go for DH to earn my associate's then Dental School
D) Just stay with Biology and try to get into Dental School
Now I know this seems a little crazy but I'm just trying to figure out which would be the better way to go and I'm going to include that I changed my major to Biology my sophomore year so I haven't taken a lot of courses within this major. Your advice would be helpful thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many people, myself included, are accepted to dental school with the standard BS in Bio. I think the only reason to do DH would be to work as one before dental school if you needed the money, or if you felt that it would be the best option for improving your application. I think the most logical situation would be option "D". How are your grades/ECs/etc?

Many people, myself included, are accepted to dental school with the standard BS in Bio. I think the only reason to do DH would be to work as one before dental school if you needed the money, or if you felt that it would be the best option for improving your application. I think the most logical situation would be option "D". How are your grades/ECs/etc?
They're not terrible it's just the Cs that are hitting me so I have a 2.5 overall GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
They're not terrible it's just the Cs that are hitting me so I have a 2.5 overall GPA

A 2.5 is terrible. It doesn't matter what major you are changing to, you have to bring that gpa up.

Reactions: 3 users
Unless you go to a DH school where you pay and wait in line to attend (do not recommend), you will struggle to get into a DH program with a 2.5 GPA, unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user