Did anyone receive anything today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A big congrats smile_doc. This is good news for you and me. I hope you get in and not have to take my place at Temple. :p

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by smile_doctor
I received my third interview invitation today! This one comes from Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry. Applying early really does pay off!:clap:

Great school! Best wishes to you with your interviews. And yes, applying early really IS a good thing to do!

You guys are great!

Desi: with your stats, I don't think you have to worry about any of us taking your place...we'd just like to be in your company:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
smile_doctor,

It would be great to have you in my class. Then I won't have to PM you, I could just see you in class ;-). But yeah, we all have a lot to offer and I believe the people on this forum who devote a lot of time discussing and preparing will definately be the brightest bunch in any dental school. I am always a little under confident, lest the worst happens.

Good luck to you all, Philly here I come Sept 17th.

DesiDentist

I received an email invite to U of MN today (9/14). They said a hard copy invite is also on the way. That is my second invite, also have interview at U of TN.

MN appears to allow a telephone interview, which I am debating. However, I would really like to see their facilities.

The dilemmas of dental admissions!

Matt

Has anyone heard anything from Colorado or Michigan yet? I have interviews so far at NE and IA.

Got an email from howard today, and a postcard from UMD today :)

Just as a crazy note, in case anybody is interested...

One of my fellow physiology TAs got a 24/26 on his DAT, and has a 3.9 science GPA. Because of this he only applied to three schools, one of which is Oregon. Yesterday he got a notice in the mail saying that he wasn't being considered for application. Just goes to show that not every qualified applicant gets an acceptance or even an interview. He didn't even get a secondary!

Originally posted by ItsGavinC

One of my fellow physiology TAs got a 24/26 on his DAT, and has a 3.9 science GPA. Because of this he only applied to three schools, one of which is Oregon. Yesterday he got a notice in the mail saying that he wasn't being considered for application. Just goes to show that not every qualified applicant gets an acceptance or even an interview. He didn't even get a secondary!

Wow!! That's scary...but kind of comforting to know that some schools just don't look at stats. Still, I would think stats like that alone would warrant AT LEAST an interview. Your friend must've not had a lot of extracurriculars showing an interest in dentistry. If he did though, then I officially don't understand admissions committees :D

My bud has quite an impressive list of ECs! For example, traveling to Brazil and Venezuela as part of Operation Smile, and being chair of our predental club (my undergrad turns out the most predents and dental school matriculants of any school in the US, so this is quite a feat).

It IS official -- I don't understand adcoms! :D

Has anybody else been experiencing a recent drought in their mailbox or is it just me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey gavin,

Which undergrad does your friend go to and which dental schools did he apply to? Maybe your friend just applied to the wrong schools that don't consider out of staters.
Schools like UCLA, UCSF, Oregon, and Texas Schools don't really take people from out of state.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC

I think something sounds fishy here. Your friend shoud have at least gotten an interview. B/c the truth is that alot of schools and I think most schools accept you solely based on your stats.
For example, I had a friend last year who was pre-med the whole time and took the MCATs. But b/c he felt that his score won't be good enough he decided to take the DATs as well, just in case. He did very well on the DATs 25 Academic, 20 PAT. But he didn't do so well on the MCATs. So he decided last minute to just apply to dental school with very limited dental background. And he pretty much got into everywhere he applied. Like USC, Columbia, UPENN, etc...

To KPax:

State-funded public dental schools like Iowa, Oregon, UMDNJ, SUNY Stony Brook, UCSF and UCLA, etc. are mandated by state law to give preference to in-state residents, who directly support these state institutions with their state tax dollars. This is why an out-of-state applicant would not have a very good chance of getting into those, even with a spectacular application package.

Private schools like USC, UPenn, Columbia, Tufts, etc. have no such constraints, which is why your friend had no trouble getting into those. Though historically these private schools also do take a higher proportion of applicants from their state of location as well.

Quick question...
I submited my aadsas application on August 20th, but have yet to receive anything back from them, no conformation letter or anything. How long did it take most of you to receive a confirmation letter and to have aadsas send out your stuff? Am I just being panicky, or do ya'll think its taking too long and I should contact aadsas? I've read of alot of complaints about their service, and I don't want to risk having them mess up my application.

i submitted july 29th and received my confirmation sheet last week.

ok, thanks vixen... I'll wait a little longer before I start freakin out. I'm trying really hard to not become a big-ball-o'-stress. The more people complain about aadsas the more I have images of a group of aadsas employees in an office somewhere using my application as a coaster for their coffee cups as they play minesweeper on their computers :p . Oh well... I'll just haveta wait and see.

I also find that VERY strange that the physiology TA did not get consideration from Oregon, because, albeit, they take Oregon residents first, then WICHE applicants, and then out-of-staters they DO have a number of first-year out of state students.

Was your friend perhaps from BYU?? I've heard from a number of Oregon students that most of the out-of-state students have come from BYU. The dean of admssions loves that school...I think she might have even gone there.

I haven't received anything in 7 days....another day of disappointment. Well I guess there's tomorrow to look forward to.

Originally posted by juan7677
Hey gavin,

Which undergrad does your friend go to and which dental schools did he apply to? Maybe your friend just applied to the wrong schools that don't consider out of staters.
Schools like UCLA, UCSF, Oregon, and Texas Schools don't really take people from out of state.

He goes to BYU. Last year, Oregon accepted 10 BYU students, so he thought he would have at least a fighting chance there!

Tell your friend to appeal, talk with the dean and ask for the reason of why they wont consider him. good luck to him.

~Qoo

I received a call from WVU today and they scheduled an interview for me on Sept. 30

I received supplementary applications from Loma Linda and UC San Francisco. This is going to be a long weekend - but well worth it!:p

I received those supp apps too. But won't have time this weekend to work on it b/c of interview. I guess I have to cram it in all of next week.

Received interview invites from U. Michigan and UOP today...

I technically did not receive anything today but I did receive a phone call from Arizona. They left a message on my machine for me to give them a call back. All they said was that it was in regards to my application. I know my app is complete because I called them some time ago and they confirmed. I wonder what it could be. Hopefully good news. I'll find out tomorrow. Anybody else have any similar phone calls from Arizona?

gradM.S.,

I also received a phone call from Arizona (on Friday). I wasn't able to call them back today, so I don't know what it was regarding. Were you able to get a hold of them?

It has been a good day for me. I got columbia and Michigan's interview invites.

What is my chance of getting in? What percentage of people do schools take from people they interview?

I am getting anxious.

Well, I did find out that Arizona won't begin interviewing until December!! Also, the formal invitations won't be mailed out until November. Pretty late in the game. Most people will have acceptances by the time an interview comes around!

Well, in that case, all you can do is hope Arizona sends out its first round of acceptances before the first rounds of deposits are due at other schools.

Got a UPenn interview today....

Hey guys,

I just got back from philly and was so dissapointed that I did not even receive anything while I was away. Anyways, how are things going for everyone else?

DesiDentist

Nothing for me either. Of course, we will all reach a point where we have heard from every school that we've applied to. This happens about now if you were in the first or second batch. Personally, I've heard from every school and am not planning on any mail until perhaps Dec. 1.

got an interview at USC....

Gavin I don't know how much that is true.
My application was in the second batch and I have heard from only three of my 15 schools, and all of those correspondances were mailed to me in august. I have had no news from schools in regards to interviews or rejections in the entire month of September. I am beginning to worry!

I got an interview from USC too!!!

UNLV sent me a letter confirming their receipt of my materials and said that I am currently under review by the committee. I'm crossing my fingers.;)

Starbabe....congrats on your USC interview invitation. I just contacted them today to set up a date. I will be there October 25. Anybody else?

Arby

Hey ItsGavinC-

Thanks for your support. I hope I get an interview there. I was actually in Las Vegas this past weekend to unwind a bit before I start my interview travels all over the country. Vegas is about 5 hours from where I live, so it would be really convenient to take short trips back home every once-in-a-while during my time in dental school. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Congrats on the UNLV interview and let us know how it went......

Arby

U of Col squashed me with the anvil.....

They said they are primarily an in-state/WICHE school and don't waste time sending us stuff. It was a shot in the dark but I had to try to apply there.

Matt

PS Hard to believe but my LOR's are holding me back from some schools, they won't review my ap w/out them. I am tiring of harassing my profs.....

Yup, I hear ya about them letters of rec. But you gotta do what you gotta do. University of Washington is a Anvil as well. They love in staters.

DesiDentist

I got Columbia interview invite today and an e-mail from UOP that I will get an interview there.

I got an interview from UK on Nov. 2nd!!!

I just got an email from the University of Louisville inviting me for an interview Nov. 8th.

Way to go ECORl !!! Congratulations!!!
....I just recieved an IU interview :)