Did I just kill my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studyingforlifeee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was doing pretty well in school. 3.6+ I've been getting A's in bio and in chem. And now I've just scored straight C's in orgo 1 and physics 1. Did I just kill my chances?
You probably see post like this all the time. But I kinda dI need some encouragement here

Members don't see this ad.

Nope u have not. I got 3 cs in chemistry, gen chem, survey biochem, survey orgo prior to deciding on med school. Took the full blown courses got as. Ended up graduating with a 3.67, 95 percentile mcat, got into md state school and now an attending. Good luck keep working and make sure you're using all resources at your disposal to succeed.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Just my two cents: You won't always get things right the first time. It doesn't mean much unless you don't grow and learn from it. They don't want "perfect" people who have never fallen down, they want people who can get back up and learn how to do better next time! Are you learning how to do better?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A "U"-shaped curve is very common and Orgo is the leading cause of this.

If you can go back to your normal 3.6 performance, you'll be fine.

So I was doing pretty well in school. 3.6+ I've been getting A's in bio and in chem. And now I've just scored straight C's in orgo 1 and physics 1. Did I just kill my chances?
You probably see post like this all the time. But I kinda dI need some encouragement here

Reactions: 1 users
I had a C or two on my transcript, it's totally fine. One was in Physics, it happens! Just keep your overall GPA up and things will work out. One can't kill every course, but don't let this kill your drive or work ethic in other courses.

Hey guys thanks for the responses I'll will be looking back at this thread for this semester of orgo 2 and physics 2!

It's not over... but you also might not get into your top choice. If you're open to anything that will lead to the same end game (getting your degree/practicing), you'll probably be just fine.

Hey guys update.
I wound up getting an A in orgo 2 and a C+ in physics 2.
Thanks for all the kind words.

It happens all the time. Regroup, retake, reapply.

I probably have the worst GPA one semester of all Med students I know. (0.99)..aka really bad. If I can do it, you can too. Keep working hard and it will show through your subpar grades!

1. You probably didn't kill your chances. 2. Even if you did permanently tank your GPA because of something so absurd I can't even think of an example, AACOMAS grade-replaces, meaning if you re-take the class and score better, it counts only the higher score. I did this with the whole orgo series, labs and all.

Nope u have not. I got 3 cs in chemistry, gen chem, survey biochem, survey orgo prior to deciding on med school. Took the full blown courses got as. Ended up graduating with a 3.67, 95 percentile mcat, got into md state school and now an attending. Good luck keep working and make sure you're using all resources at your disposal to succeed.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Do you mind sharing your science gpa? Thank you

A "U"-shaped curve is very common and Orgo is the leading cause of this.

If you can go back to your normal 3.6 performance, you'll be fine.

Kind of related to this, my junior year I had a dip in GPA thanks to a C in Orgo 2 and a lot of B+'s and B's. I attribute most of this to having to sink extra time into very tough courses such as organic, Genetics (General Genetics and Population Genetics) and a couple difficult philosophy courses. This past semester I went back to my average A/A- grades by acing 3 upper level science courses (cell bio, bio chem, and human metabolism) along with two upper level non science courses (history of Buddhism and history of the Renaissance). That isn't an app killer if EC's, rec letters and essays are on point right?

GPA trend:
  • Sophomore year: 3.67
  • Junior year: 3.46
  • Senior year: 3.5
  • Graduation: low 3.6 if I can continue to do well.
Edit: sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, I wasn't paying attention to dates when I was skimming this!