This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unsure0123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, another thread asking for advice about what to write for those secondary diversity essays... In terms of demographics, I'm nothing special (22, white, female, middle class, parents still married, grew up in suburbia). I've brainstormed a few topics, but I'm not feeling too compelled about any in particular.
Any advice about what direction to go in would be much appreciated!

1. Passionate about sports - continue to play & referee soccer games, continue to run & have a track record at my old high school, did Irish dancing for 10 years growing up

2. Travelled a bunch during undergrad, including semester abroad in Sweden

3. My research experience has been entirely in marine biology - though this was one of my "most important" activities on my primary

4. Passionate about the environment, sustainability, animal conservation - went to liberal arts undergrad but most of my bio electives were environmental science & ecology-focused

5. Parents both are in computer science/IT but I'm interested in medicine..?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, another thread asking for advice about what to write for those secondary diversity essays... In terms of demographics, I'm nothing special (22, white, female, middle class, parents still married, grew up in suburbia). I've brainstormed a few topics, but I'm not feeling too compelled about any in particular.

1. Passionate about sports - continue to play & referee soccer games, continue to run & have a track record at my old high school, did Irish dancing for 10 years growing up

3. My research experience has been entirely in marine biology - though this was one of my "most important" activities on my primary

4. Passionate about the environment, sustainability, animal conservation - went to liberal arts undergrad but most of my bio electives were environmental science & ecology-focused

#s 4 and 5 are baseline requirements. You offer nothing to the Class in that regard because everybody in the class starts out with this.

#3) yeah, it's different, but I don't know if that particular interest brings anything to the Class.

The Irish dancing sounds cool enough. The point of the prompt is "what's cool about you?" It has nothing to do with ethnicity.

That doesn't help.

Why not consider writing about your passion for sports through the lens of the qualities of spirit and character potentially enhanced through sports participation. You could then tie that into a parallel with those intrapersonal qualities you possess that may support your candidacy as a medical student?