DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I did miss it. Thanks!
I am not sure if I understand "4th year can be done anywhere". If I am interested in moving back to Minnesota for 3rd and 4th years, will I have to some how establish a relation with a hospital in MN? Or DMU will help me to go where I want to go? It sounds like I won't be able to do all my rotations in MN, considering there are only 2 that are available.
Sorry, I am still trying to figure out this whole thing...

Hey there! I just wanted to pass along what I have heard--I spoke to the Clinical Rotation coordinator and she said that those 2 spots in Minnesota are likely to be done away with. They are having a hard time with even those 2 students completing ALL their "required" rotations in the area(It's in Mankato). So, best case scenario is making contact up in MSP with U of Min. affiliated hospitals. DMU has a few students every year match up in Minnesota, so they are definitely open to DO students, and I would assume, allowing you to rotate through as well 4th year.
Hope this helped!!!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I just wanted to pass along what I have heard--I spoke to the Clinical Rotation coordinator and she said that those 2 spots in Minnesota are likely to be done away with. They are having a hard time with even those 2 students completing ALL their "required" rotations in the area(It's in Mankato). So, best case scenario is making contact up in MSP with U of Min. affiliated hospitals. DMU has a few students every year match up in Minnesota, so they are definitely open to DO students, and I would assume, allowing you to rotate through as well 4th year.
Hope this helped!!!:thumbup:

Thanks! Mankato is not exactly what I have in mind:D
Let me see- it was very hard to find doctors to shadow as a premed. Are hospitals more open if you go in as a med student?

What is the average turnaround for interview invites after your file is complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the average turnaround for interview invites after your file is complete?

Haha. I read your statement wrong. I was thinking turnaround time for acceptance after your interview. Generally, to answer your original question, it depends on your file, the admissions committee etc. I heard people were hearing one month after their file was complete. I heard a couple of weeks (Fastrack). Anways, it depends on a lot of factors.

Yes, I did miss it. Thanks!
I am not sure if I understand "4th year can be done anywhere". If I am interested in moving back to Minnesota for 3rd. and 4 th years, will I have to some how establish a relation with a hospital in MN? Or DMU will help me to go where I want to go? It sounds like I won't be able to do all my rotations in MN, considering there are only 2 that are available.
Sorry, I am still trying to figure out this whole thing...

Yea, you probably aren't going to be able to do all of your rotations in MN, but 4th year you are responsible for setting up your rotation, and your school will help you do that (to varying degrees). That means that if you want to do all of your rotatoins in MN, then you can make it happen. As long as you meet DMUs rotation requirements, you can be in in MN, or anwywhere else in the country (and in some cases anywhere else in the world)

Is this true about all schools? I mean do all schools expect th students to find a school and set up rotations for the 4 th year?
Thanks!

Yea, you probably aren't going to be able to do all of your rotations in MN, but 4th year you are responsible for setting up your rotation, and your school will help you do that (to varying degrees). That means that if you want to do all of your rotatoins in MN, then you can make it happen. As long as you meet DMUs rotation requirements, you can be in in MN, or anwywhere else in the country (and in some cases anywhere else in the world)

Is this true about all schools? I mean do all schools expect th students to find a school and set up rotations for the 4 th year?
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure, yea! Hopefully, you arent just completely on your own. Most schools assist you in some way. Ive heard of others that kinda just leave you on your own, and i dunno how common that is

Thanks!

Pretty much, yes. DMU provides a lot of elective time compared to most schools. Furthermore, to set up electives, you just tell clinical affairs where you want to go and they do all the leg work for you. This is something most schools do not do; most schools make you set your elective rotations up on your own.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks ryserr and boner for answering my questions!

Ugh, I hate waiting. It's only been 6 days since my interview but I am sooooo anxious to hear. :oops: I really really REALLY hope it's a YES, please come to our medical school..... :love:

Hang in there! I know of students currently enrolled who were on the alternate list and were offered admission. I don't know the specifics but their acceptances came in February, March, and one in July. The current offers only keep seats held until 12/15 unless a deposit is paid, so I bet some movement is on the horizon. Hope you hear good news!

Thanks! (sorry I just saw this)

Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up, and congrats on acceptances! DMU was definitely an impressive place. I loved how every student seemed to really have a passion for DMU. It seems to have a great community.

I am so proud to say that I am DMU class of 2013. What an awesome school! I feel so blessed. It seems they are sending out final decisions for those who interviewed on 12/4 and 12/5.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview invite today. I'll go, but only to prove DoktorB a liar.

Exciting!! Congratulations! Now if they can get to the following week's interviews, that would be swell. Oh, and if they could let me in too.
What do you sing? I'm also a singer although rather unmusical lately.
L.

I am so proud to say that I am DMU class of 2013. What an awesome school! I feel so blessed. It seems they are sending out final decisions for those who interviewed on 12/4 and 12/5.:)

woohoo! next year is gonna be a blast! besides all of that studying stuff we have to do.

Exciting!! Congratulations! Now if they can get to the following week's interviews, that would be swell. Oh, and if they could let me in too.
What do you sing? I'm also a singer although rather unmusical lately.
L.

1st tenor here. I feel like caroling, we have soo much snow in seattle right now...4" is a lot for us :rolleyes:

4 inches :laugh: I am in a winter storm warning, a foot + by tomorrow afternoon :eek: yuck

Yup, my sister in Portland west hills has been pretty much snowed in all week. Her husband is a teacher and school has been closed all week.

70 degrees and sunny in South Carolina...nice weather but not Christmasy!

Caroling sounds like fun. Perhaps if we're classmates we'll get it together. First soprano, if you couldn't guess by my screen name....

L.

woohoo! next year is gonna be a blast! besides all of that studying stuff we have to do.

1st tenor here. I feel like caroling, we have soo much snow in seattle right now...4" is a lot for us :rolleyes:

Yup, my sister in Portland west hills has been pretty much snowed in all week. Her husband is a teacher and school has been closed all week.

70 degrees and sunny in South Carolina...nice weather but not Christmasy!

Caroling sounds like fun. Perhaps if we're classmates we'll get it together. First soprano, if you couldn't guess by my screen name....

L.

Prima, I'm in SC as well and very much enjoying the weather. Its snowing in Vegas and I'm SOO glad I came home.

Just heard about an interview yesterday! Is the fasTrack path given to a lot of applicants?

Just heard about an interview yesterday! Is the fasTrack path given to a lot of applicants?

I dont think so. Its certainly not given to all of them, so its something you should be proud of. That being said, dont think it means you have a guaranteed acceptance. You still have to show up at the interview and impress. People who have had fast track interviews have been waitlisted post interview. Its a great school, and a laidback interview day. You'll do fine if you stay humble, relaxed, and act normal (be yourself). Good luck!

I dont think so. Its certainly not given to all of them, so its something you should be proud of. That being said, dont think it means you have a guaranteed acceptance. You still have to show up at the interview and impress. People who have had fast track interviews have been waitlisted post interview. Its a great school, and a laidback interview day. You'll do fine if you stay humble, relaxed, and act normal (be yourself). Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!!!

ILF,
When is your interview? May be on the 9th of Jan? We can interview together again:D

4 inches :laugh: I am in a winter storm warning, a foot + by tomorrow afternoon :eek: yuck

Whoa! Yeah over in Eastern WA we have recieved like 20-30 inches. Snow, it's a beautiful thing!

Hey, that is awesome! Looking forward to seeing you next year!

Got an interview invite today. I'll go, but only to prove DoktorB a liar.

Your signature :laugh:

Hey Guys,
I absolutely loved DMU when I interviewed. I've been to a total of 6 schools and I consider DMU to be the best school. My interview was on 12/12 and it's only been a week but I want to hear back from the school ASAP! Since Christmas is this week, I dont know if that means that the adcom meeting will be delayed or expedited?? It sucks that I interviewed right before the holidays. I hope I hear back soon. I dont want to be annoying and call the admissions office to ask, but I hate this waiting...I hope I get in! I loved it!

Good luck to everyone!

Hey Guys,
I absolutely loved DMU when I interviewed. I've been to a total of 6 schools and I consider DMU to be the best school. My interview was on 12/12 and it's only been a week but I want to hear back from the school ASAP! Since Christmas is this week, I dont know if that means that the adcom meeting will be delayed or expedited?? It sucks that I interviewed right before the holidays. I hope I hear back soon. I dont want to be annoying and call the admissions office to ask, but I hate this waiting...I hope I get in! I loved it!

Good luck to everyone!

I remember that feeling :)

It'll probably only take an extra week at most. If not it will be a great x-mas present! well...hopefully :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity what does the typical week look like for a MS1 student (what time class starts and ends each day)??

Me too...interviewed on 12/11. Technically 2 weeks from my interview date is Christmas Day, so I'm thinking either I hear by Tuesday or it will be the following week. I LOVED DMU and want to go! Will have to keep distracting myself....:laugh:

@primmadonna

I was in your interview group and they told me that it will be two mondays from the monday after our interview. "i said come again" and they said that it will be two mondays from the 14th.

That was according to Danessa when we were in the OMM room

IamAriDO

Aarrgghhhh...that's what I was afraid of. I keep hoping I'll hear earlier. *sigh*
I will be on a stretch of 6 days in a row at work then and probably won't be in any mood for a rejection...think that will sway 'em? :laugh:

@primmadonna

I was in your interview group and they told me that it will be two mondays from the monday after our interview. "i said come again" and they said that it will be two mondays from the 14th.

That was according to Danessa when we were in the OMM room

IamAriDO

Anyone knows how many students they have accepted so far?

Is it too late to apply? The deadline is Feb. 1, but are my chances shot since I don't have anything in? I just talked to a grad of DMU and was convinced to apply!

Got the email today: Alternate. :(
I'm bummed since it's not a YES but I'm excited because it's not a NO. :confused:
I have some ugly undergrad grades to make up for, and I'm sure that was a factor. OTOH I had a great interview, loved the school, am pretty sure my LORs were positive (how can you know when they're confidential?).
I've emailed the admissions office with my questions but would appreciate if anybody has the inside scoop: is the alternate list the same as the waitlist?
is it ranked? how much movement typically?
As you know I have to make a decision on the other job (teaching PA students, which I would enjoy) and they have been patiently waiting for me to find out, but I can't hold out forever. Ugh, I wish I knew what to do....
thanks all!
Lisa

Got the email today: Alternate. :(
I'm bummed since it's not a YES but I'm excited because it's not a NO. :confused:
I have some ugly undergrad grades to make up for, and I'm sure that was a factor. OTOH I had a great interview, loved the school, am pretty sure my LORs were positive (how can you know when they're confidential?).
I've emailed the admissions office with my questions but would appreciate if anybody has the inside scoop: is the alternate list the same as the waitlist?
is it ranked? how much movement typically?
As you know I have to make a decision on the other job (teaching PA students, which I would enjoy) and they have been patiently waiting for me to find out, but I can't hold out forever. Ugh, I wish I knew what to do....
thanks all!
Lisa

So that is a good decision either way! Medical school? Teaching medicine? Sorry that it didn't work out. But you are right, the alternate list is not a bad thing, depending on where you are at on that list. I read some other posts and in some years, there was no movement on the list, while in others there was. Keep your hopes up! :xf: Have you applied anywhere else?

Is it too late to apply? The deadline is Feb. 1, but are my chances shot since I don't have anything in? I just talked to a grad of DMU and was convinced to apply!

Never! Unless it is beyond Feb. 1st. It depends on how far you are now. Get everything in by the deadline and you still have a shot. They accept on a rolling basis. I heard of students having interviews in April. So they are looking all season long.

ACCEPTED!!!:love::love::love:

This is truly one of the best medical schools! I am so honored to be part of this wonderful school!!! This might be the single proudest moment of my life!

Good luck to everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Yes, many other apps; several rejections; several no word since the secondary. I don't like being in limbo, but I'm not sure I want to withdraw the other apps either. It's a weird place to be.
I'm leaning toward taking the faculty job just because I know I would love it and it is the 4th time I've tried to get a PA teaching job in the past 4 years--so that might mean something. I do need a change of pace right now and heck, the teaching job pays better than most in that field...and my husband likes the idea, which is an important consideration.
I've read the other posts that recent years showed very little waitlist movement. I think it would help my decision to know where I stand on that list.
thanks again for your encouragement--I agree they're two very different but attractive options for very different reasons, and I'm blessed to have these opportunities.
L.

So that is a good decision either way! Medical school? Teaching medicine? Sorry that it didn't work out. But you are right, the alternate list is not a bad thing, depending on where you are at on that list. I read some other posts and in some years, there was no movement on the list, while in others there was. Keep your hopes up! :xf: Have you applied anywhere else?

Big congrats! You should be proud--DMU is awesome.
Have fun!

ACCEPTED!!!:love::love::love:

This is truly one of the best medical schools! I am so honored to be part of this wonderful school!!! This might be the single proudest moment of my life!

Good luck to everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!

I applied to DMU COM some time ago and I indicated I wanted do a dual degree on my secondary. I don't know how it works at DMU but does that mean that I am applying for a dual degree or does it mean that after I matriculate I would be interested in applying for a dual degree? Also, will that affect how they look at my file...do people that indicate a dual degree need to have higher requirements for admission, etc.? On their website it says for that dual degree I want to do I need a strong science background but nothing else. Any help would be appreciated :help:

I applied to DMU COM some time ago and I indicated I wanted do a dual degree on my secondary. I don't know how it works at DMU but does that mean that I am applying for a dual degree or does it mean that after I matriculate I would be interested in applying for a dual degree? Also, will that affect how they look at my file...do people that indicate a dual degree need to have higher requirements for admission, etc.? On their website it says for that dual degree I want to do I need a strong science background but nothing else. Any help would be appreciated :help:

You are not enrolled in a dual degree program until the end of your first year of med school. Certain programs have grade requirements before entering (e.g. Masters in Anatomy), so you'll apply for the extra degree after having a substantial amount of the "prereqs" done.

Just got my interview invite today! Too bad its in February, hopefully there will still be spots open.

dani042, I just got an interview invite too:D

I scheduled for Feb. 5. Hopefully its not too late in the admissions cycle.

I got a quick question for any current students at DMU.

Do all first and second year classes only have DO students or do they contain students from other programs such as PA, PT, or podiatry. Thanks.