DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you have your interview? And how was it?

Exactly 14 days ago actually! They are very prompt with their admissions decisions. I had cool interviewers and they asked great questions that were pretty standard "get to know you" types. I got grilled pretty good by the student interviewer towards the end of it though. He pressed me hard on the MD/DO issue and my MCAT score (verbal in particular). I fired right back at him (respectfully of course) and held my ground. I think they were trying to see how I acted under pressure, the key is to keep your composure and not say anything that can be taken the wrong way. It is nothing compared to what I've heard about some of the MD interviews, though. Those can be brutal, this was just a little bit stressful and it wasn't because they were trying to break me down or anything. Im sure you'll be fine! Just be confident in who you are and where you are coming from!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks!
Exactly 14 days ago actually! They are very prompt with their admissions decisions. I had cool interviewers and they asked great questions that were pretty standard "get to know you" types. I got grilled pretty good by the student interviewer towards the end of it though. He pressed me hard on the MD/DO issue and my MCAT score (verbal in particular). I fired right back at him (respectfully of course) and held my ground. I think they were trying to see how I acted under pressure, the key is to keep your composure and not say anything that can be taken the wrong way. It is nothing compared to what I've heard about some of the MD interviews, though. Those can be brutal, this was just a little bit stressful and it wasn't because they were trying to break me down or anything. Im sure you'll be fine! Just be confident in who you are and where you are coming from!

I was accepted to DMU a few months ago, and I recently received a letter that basically said, "we strongly encourage you to attend DMU" and at the bottom was a handwritten note by the associate dean.

I was just wondering if everyone has received this notice?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to DMU a few months ago, and I recently received a letter that basically said, "we strongly encourage you to attend DMU" and at the bottom was a handwritten note by the associate dean.

Thank you.

did you get the sticker with it? thats the sell point right there!

Yea, I got the sticker, but that was in a different letter. This was a more recent, different letter.

Thank you.

Yeah, I got that letter too. I think a few other people have mentioned receiving something like that as well. I thought the hand-written part at the bottom was a nice touch, but DMU had won me over long before I even applied.

Have you chosen DMU as your home for the next four years?

Nah. It was between DMU, CCOM, and PCOM, and I decided to go with PCOM. DMU is a great school, their sim-lab is the best I've seen, and Des Moines is a pretty cool city, but I'd rather stay on the east coast, which is where I'm from.

Thanks for answering my quesiton, and I hope you like it there.

I just received an email from DMU (Anna Bair) stating that my application is on hold. What does it mean and under what circumstances do they put an application on hold?

I just got Accepted!!! wooohoooo!!!!

:soexcited::soexcited::claps::claps::soexcited::soexcited:

Congrats DoktorB! It's a great feeling, isn't it? Are you going to DMU for sure, or are you waiting to make a decision?

The letter with the hand-written note at the bottom was a nice touch, and I'm all about the sticker. The real selling point for me, though, was the pen I received at the interview. Best pen I've ever had. They sure know the way to a pre-med's heart. :love:

Congrats DoktorB! It's a great feeling, isn't it? Are you going to DMU for sure, or are you waiting to make a decision?

Im deciding between DMU and KCUMB this weekend :oops:

found out I am in @ DMU as of Mon! Woo hoO!
Now the decisions begin...I think it's #1...but aaah...we shall see!

That was one of the decisions I had to make as well. Hope it works out ok. I don't want to sway you either way, but one of the things I looked at was the class size in each of the schools, and their reaction to their proposed increases via new buildings/classroom size etc. Also, the anatomy labs were a big seller for me (able to have enough cadavers to adequately learn the material between ALL students, including the non D.O. students that use the cadavers), the location of KC/DMU, and the cost obviously (unless you go the military route or get a scholarship from some other place). I liked the fact that KC had their clinical hospital rotation sites up on their website with factoides on each rotation (what procedures students participate in etc.). Residencies? I know you didn't ask for any advice, but I couldn't help. Good luck...

Members don't see this ad :)

Deciding between schools is a good problem to have! Good luck with the decision! :luck:

Just a heads up that scholarship news is out - check your e-mails.

francon apparently applied only to DMU
so i'm guessing she already paid her deposit
do they only offer scholarships to people who paid the deposit?

Just a heads up that scholarship news is out - check your e-mails.

So do we apply for these magical bouts of scholarship payouts? If so, I am out of luck without a buck! That is unless we have some time to turn our forms in on the deadline.

Ugh, I'm torn.

I just got an interview invite for DMU today. Which makes me happy :D

I'm torn because on Wednesday I interviewed for a faculty position at a very well-respected PA program in the southeast (I've been a PA for 8 years). I really liked the faculty and could see myself being very happy there. I haven't been offered the job yet but it seems very possible.

Nothing (NOTHING) had happened with my med school apps and I figured nothing was going to so late in the game. Yes, I did bring up my med school apps with the program director and a few of the faculty interviewers on my interview day. Most of them seemed to get it (a lot of us PAs struggle with the to-be-or-not-to-be question) and understood. This opportunity sort of fell in my lap by word of mouth. I've interviewed 3 other times for PA faculty positions and had been unsuccessful and after the last turndown (last January) I decided heck, maybe I should try for med school.

Of course there's more to it than that but now I'm confused. :confused:

A lot of my doubt with med school seems to be looking at our current economic crisis and the idea of going further in debt while giving up my comfortable income for 7 more years seems very disconcerting.

Thoughts? Appreciate it.

L.

Ugh, I'm torn.

I'm torn because on Wednesday I interviewed for a faculty position at a very well-respected PA program in the southeast (I've been a PA for 8 years). I really liked the faculty and could see myself being very happy there. I haven't been offered the job yet but it seems very possible.

Nothing (NOTHING) had happened with my med school apps and I figured nothing was going to so late in the game. Yes, I did bring up my med school apps with the program director and a few of the faculty interviewers on my interview day. Most of them seemed to get it (a lot of us PAs struggle with the to-be-or-not-to-be question) and understood. This opportunity sort of fell in my lap by word of mouth. I've interviewed 3 other times for PA faculty positions and had been unsuccessful and after the last turndown (last January) I decided heck, maybe I should try for med school.

A lot of my doubt with med school seems to be looking at our current economic crisis and the idea of going further in debt while giving up my comfortable income for 7 more years seems very disconcerting.

Thoughts? Appreciate it.

L.

Don't sell yourself short.

I'm pretty confused about how DMU runs their 3rd and 4th year rotations.
For 3rd year its a lottery system right? you pick your top 3 states and they somehow figure it out from there?
what is it for 4th year? can somone clarify please?

Thanks

Ugh, I'm torn.

Thoughts? Appreciate it.

L.

It doesn't hurt to go to the interview. You'll get a chance to see the school, get your questions answered, and meet some of the faculty. You may fall in love with the school and the idea of being a doctor once you're there.

Really, you don't have a big decision to make until you are both offered the job and accepted to DMU, unless you get offered the job next week and can't get an interview until February. In which case, I don't know what to tell you. The faculty position sounds pretty fantastic. I think this is one of those things that you really need to sit down by yourself and weigh the pros and cons of. Is becoming a doctor worth all the extra years of schooling and residency? Is it worth the debt you'll go into, not to mention the paycheck you'll be forgoing because you're not working as a PA? Do you want it that badly? PA is a pretty great job, but so is DO (of course, I'm a bit biased towards the latter ;)). The most important thing is that you be truthful to yourself. Good luck with the decision! :luck:

Ugh, I'm torn.

Thoughts? Appreciate it.

L.

Wow! That is a big move you plan on making, either direction. Do you have a family? If so, I am sure you are thinking of what is in the best interest of the family. So what is? Secondly, you are basically a doctor with all of your experience. I think it is safe to assume you will breeze through what most of us non PA students will be grinding our teeth at in medical school. Is it a bigger salary you want? Is someone threatening your life if you don't go D.O.? Well, if you have enough oomph with a passion to spread your licensing opportunities, it would be hard to pass up. I agree with a previous post. Go to the interview and check it out!

I appreciate all your thoughtful responses. I'm far from decided and right now I'm leaning toward interviewing because it is an honor to be asked, and I really didn't expect to be asked (perhaps a bit fatalistic and premature on my part). At the moment I still haven't been offered the faculty job and of course if I were turned down it would be a no-brainer to interview and keep my options open. One of my coworkers (PA) thinks I should take the first good offer and then go on the interview anyway and if there's an offer of admittance take that too, but I'm not wired that way. I have a bit of a loyalty complex I guess. Also I know the faculty is really serious about filling this position and heck, it's the 4th time I've tried to get a faculty job, and I could see myself being a very happy PA educator.

It's good to have choices, but it's also confusing....

If it makes any difference (can't remember if I mentioned this up front), my ultimate goal is to teach medicine. If I can do that as a PA, that would be swell; but there is a great appeal in learning all that I don't know now and being able to apply that down the road as a physician educator, but the opportunity costs (double my debt--at least--as well as giving up income for several years) are great too. Also if I were hired by the university I interviewed with I would have an opportunity to earn my doctorate in almost anything (with a few exclusions, including the medical and dental school) on the university's dime. Nothing to sneeze at.

;)

BabyKangaroo, I appreciate your enthusiasm and support, but I want to squelch the idea right now that I or any PA is "basically a doctor". We certainly are not. We are trained well in the medical model and we practice alongside physicians with (sometimes minimal) physician supervision, but we are dependent providers and will thus never be independent. I cannot practice without a supervising physician agreement approved by the state Board of Medical Examiners. I have quite a few restrictions on my ability to practice medicine; hence, the desire to go all the way to med school. But it is a pretty good gig, I agree, and for me has been a lucky enthusiasm. Just don't want any SDNers to get the wrong idea that I think I'm "basically a doctor".

I mean this kindly, I really do, but you are very green still in your medical education (just getting started, right?) so you are understandably optimistic and, I think Panda Bear says it best, and I paraphrase, but you are still likely to be awed by those who have more knowledge and experience than you do. Give it ten years; the roles will reverse. You will be a doctor and I will still be a PA (or not).

For me, it's never been all that important to be called "Doctor". It's about intellectual curiosity and fulfilling that desire of "could I have been a physician if I really tried?" That's what I struggle with. I don't have a family other than a sweet husband and 3 dogs and 2 cats, but I'm almost 35 and if I want to have a family, I probably should do that soon. I'm sort of ambivalent about it though. Of course the salary difference between what I make and my physician colleagues make is pretty large--most of them make at least twice what I do, and probably many make much more than that. I'd have to do the math to see how long it would take me to catch up on the lost income + debt incurred for med school to see if it would be worthwhile. I used to think I couldn't put a monetary value on advancing my education and fulfilling a lifelong dream (ugh, so cliche), but reality bites.

Take care,

Lisa

Wow! That is a big move you plan on making, either direction. Do you have a family? If so, I am sure you are thinking of what is in the best interest of the family. So what is? Secondly, you are basically a doctor with all of your experience. I think it is safe to assume you will breeze through what most of us non PA students will be grinding our teeth at in medical school. Is it a bigger salary you want? Is someone threatening your life if you don't go D.O.? Well, if you have enough oomph with a passion to spread your licensing opportunities, it would be hard to pass up. I agree with a previous post. Go to the interview and check it out!

BabyKangaroo, I appreciate your enthusiasm and support, but I want to squelch the idea right now that I or any PA is "basically a doctor". We certainly are not. We are trained well in the medical model and we practice alongside physicians with (sometimes minimal) physician supervision, but we are dependent providers and will thus never be independent. I cannot practice without a supervising physician agreement approved by the state Board of Medical Examiners. I have quite a few restrictions on my ability to practice medicine; hence, the desire to go all the way to med school. But it is a pretty good gig, I agree, and for me has been a lucky enthusiasm. Just don't want any SDNers to get the wrong idea that I think I'm "basically a doctor".

I mean this kindly, I really do, but you are very green still in your medical education (just getting started, right?) so you are understandably optimistic and, I think Panda Bear says it best, and I paraphrase, but you are still likely to be awed by those who have more knowledge and experience than you do. Give it ten years; the roles will reverse. You will be a doctor and I will still be a PA (or not).

For me, it's never been all that important to be called "Doctor". It's about intellectual curiosity and fulfilling that desire of "could I have been a physician if I really tried?" That's what I struggle with. I don't have a family other than a sweet husband and 3 dogs and 2 cats, but I'm almost 35 and if I want to have a family, I probably should do that soon. I'm sort of ambivalent about it though. Of course the salary difference between what I make and my physician colleagues make is pretty large--most of them make at least twice what I do, and probably many make much more than that. I'd have to do the math to see how long it would take me to catch up on the lost income + debt incurred for med school to see if it would be worthwhile. I used to think I couldn't put a monetary value on advancing my education and fulfilling a lifelong dream (ugh, so cliche), but reality bites.

Take care,

Lisa

Well, anyone who knows me knows that I am very sarcastic at times, this being one of them. Just saying you have a lot of experience and it will really help you with medical school training. I have a few friends who are PAs who have a lot of experience, and they basically learn to mold with doctors they work for and are very good mimics, to say the least, of how to diagnose and treat. But on the other hand, in the "no harm/no foul" category, I have a few years of experience in the medical field and am in a similar position to be a step ahead of the game come medical school b/c of my training. Or so I think! Haha. Good luck with everything. Stay realistically optimistic!
BK

Gese, didn't read this post until after. It sounds like you are struggling with "official" education, and education you can learn on your own. You don't have to go back in debt and pay an institution/state what you have left in your savings to get a good education. If all you want to do is "know all you can know," then be an educator, learn on your own, and know more (albeit not "officially") than you ever have!

My struggle is really just financial. If finances were not an obstacle, it would be a no-brainer, I would go to med school (assuming I got in).
But thanks for the boost :)

Hey guys, I'm gonna go, but I'm hoping to go this Thurs/Fri to get it out of the way assuming I can get a reasonable flight. I happen to be off this Wed-Sun (nice how that works out!) Can anybody tell me if there's a cheaper airport to fly into than Des Moines? I can drive a couple of hours if needed/rent a car etc., but prefer to do that only if there's not heavy snow/ice as I really don't know how to drive in snow that well.
Thanks in advance
L.

Hey guys, I'm gonna go, but I'm hoping to go this Thurs/Fri to get it out of the way assuming I can get a reasonable flight. I happen to be off this Wed-Sun (nice how that works out!) Can anybody tell me if there's a cheaper airport to fly into than Des Moines? I can drive a couple of hours if needed/rent a car etc., but prefer to do that only if there's not heavy snow/ice as I really don't know how to drive in snow that well.
Thanks in advance
L.

Omaha is usually much cheaper than coming direct to Des Moines- its 120 miles away. However, we are supposed to get some kind of big storm tonight/tomorrow. It shouldn't be a problem by the end of the week on the freeways, but you never know. You might take a look at weather.com for the forecast.

Thank you for that! I will take it under advisement. If it's not a huge savings I might just go to Des Moines directly. Appreciate your help.
L.

Omaha is usually much cheaper than coming direct to Des Moines- its 120 miles away. However, we are supposed to get some kind of big storm tonight/tomorrow. It shouldn't be a problem by the end of the week on the freeways, but you never know. You might take a look at weather.com for the forecast.

primadonna, are you interested in primary care or rural medicine? If so, you should just sign up for one of those state contracts that will pay your way if you agree to enter primary care. I know DMU offers rural medicine scholarships, in addition to their merit based ones, and you could always try to military if you are up for it.

Yes, very much so, both actually. I've practiced 6.5 of my 8 years in primary care; most of that has been semi-rural (25,000-40,000 population size). I am definitely considering the Iowa rural health package. Actually I'm interested in the National Guard too but I'm not sure if I can do both (can I do both??)
Anybody have any inside info on how many folks per class actually apply for the rural health scholarship? It looks like up to 6/year are funded (could be half-scholarships though).
I'm so excited to be interviewing on Thursday!!
:)
primadonna, are you interested in primary care or rural medicine? If so, you should just sign up for one of those state contracts that will pay your way if you agree to enter primary care. I know DMU offers rural medicine scholarships, in addition to their merit based ones, and you could always try to military if you are up for it.

They told me about 20 people are in the rural health program.

There probably are about 20 total, but the website says up to 6 full scholarships/year can be awarded, but they may be half-scholarships (up to 12 of those I suppose). I don't think they've been doing it for too long if there are only 20 total (I might be wrong though). I will certainly ask about it at my interview and see what I can learn. I am definitely interested in this option. Thanks.

They told me about 20 people are in the rural health program.

Im putting down my deposit tomorrow! Good luck all, DMU is amazing!

prima,

I flew into Omaha and drove ~ 2 hours to Des Moines. It was not a bad drive at all....and I saved about $600 on my airfare, I really suggest it! :thumbup::luck:

Thanks...I actually got a $189 RT flight from Charlotte, NC to Kansas City, MO. I'll have a 3-hr drive (approx). Yes, I did check the weather.com, thanks for that suggestion above....let's just hope it's accurate :eek: When I checked Omaha all the flights were about the same as Des Moines. Strange huh? Maybe it's cuz I'm coming from the southeast? Unfortunately I still have to fly through O'Hare. I HATE O'Hare. *sigh*

prima,

I flew into Omaha and drove ~ 2 hours to Des Moines. It was not a bad drive at all....and I saved about $600 on my airfare, I really suggest it! :thumbup::luck:

Hey all, just wantd to say I'll be withdrawing my app this week :(. Sad, I know. Not that you all need to be told, but its an amazing school and the people there are fantastic! I know you will enjoy your four years there....as long as you have a jacket :laugh:

I'll still be lurkin around, but in case i never meet any of you....best of luck!!! I'm happy to call you my future-colleagues!

Hey all, just wantd to say I'll be withdrawing my app this week :(. Sad, I know. Not that you all need to be told, but its an amazing school and the people there are fantastic! I know you will enjoy your four years there....as long as you have a jacket :laugh:

I'll still be lurkin around, but in case i never meet any of you....best of luck!!! I'm happy to call you my future-colleagues!

You goin to UCI?? Dude...nice work! Thats a phenomenal program man (nice area too!!). We'll miss you at DMU next year, best of luck!

You goin to UCI?? Dude...nice work! Thats a phenomenal program man (nice area too!!). We'll miss you at DMU next year, best of luck!

like 99%. Unless some other local school in CA with crazy cheap tuition happens to accept me and I like it even better than UCI. Chances of that happening are very slim tho.

Congrats on making a decision DoktorB!! I think you made an excellent choice. ;)

Congrats on making the decision! So what ended up being the big deciding factor for you? I know you were struggling with the decision a lot this past week...

Congrats on making the decision! So what ended up being the big deciding factor for you? I know you were struggling with the decision a lot this past week...

Well, I had two browsers open, each with the different schools webpages open and I found myself favoring the DMU page (not because it was "better" or anything), and I realized I was obviously more drawn to DMU and there was no good reason not to go with my instinct. I couldn't go wrong with any of the schools, but DMU seems to have that X factor for me. Im really excited to have ONE school to look forward to!!! now to brace for the other schools' withdrawal reactions...ive heard bad stories from multiple people about turning down acceptances. oh well, their loss ;)

Their loss indeed! Glad it all worked out for you! We might very well be classmates next year!

Hey ryserr- Man it was good getting to know you and if there is an intramural FB or rugby team at UCI, we should do a long distance match! Start the first D.O. vs M.D. game! Haha! J/K. Good luck with everything over there. And did you know that UCI used to be an Osteopathic medical school for over 40 years? http://www.healthaffairs.uci.edu/som/historicalTimeline.asp

I bet they teach manipulative medicine there! Best of both worlds. Keep going.
BK