DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if anyone could help me?
I have a low GPA 3.0-3.1 good MCAT of 30
Ky resident good EC's LORS all that good stuff, but the only thing that worries me is my GPA ( a lot of B's)
Do i have a chance? i will be applying in June for the Fall 2010 cycle...Thanks

Give it a shot! The gpa is a slight blow, but you would still have a shot since your MCAT is above average! What kind of EC's are we talking about?

Members don't see this ad.

I also interviewed on 1/22 and have heard nothing. I have a deposit due so I will have to call on Monday. Do you think this will appear too pushy? I seriously thought they said two weeks...oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed on 1/22 and have heard nothing. I have a deposit due so I will have to call on Monday. Do you think this will appear too pushy? I seriously thought they said two weeks...oh well.

I interviewed on the 22nd also (of Jan). What was the "interesting fact" that you told? Best of luck to you all. (And I, too, keep checking my mailbox. Ahh! The wait!)

I was the guy who raced in the Ironman and who came in the room just a tad late.

Ky resident good EC's LORS all that good stuff, but the only thing that worries me is my GPA ( a lot of B's)

Realize that for serious consideration, you must have an overall AND science GPA >3.0. Also, form what I'm hearing, the stats for class of 2012 are around 29/3.8, so an MCAT of 30 isn't going to offset a low GPA, like some other DO schools that are less competitive.

Apply early, and apply smart.
And try to raise it a little before you apply.

I have a friend who got in this year with a 3.1 gpa and a 30 MCAT.

I am still wondering if it will appear too pushy if I call admissions tomorrow to ask them my status as it has been over two weeks now.

I am still wondering if it will appear too pushy if I call admissions tomorrow to ask them my status as it has been over two weeks now.

Honestly, considering your circumstance, I don't think they will. They clearly said that they would try to have a decision made "two weeks from next Monday" (which means, tomorrow), so it should be fine.

The only thing I was wondering was, do you think decisions will be announced at all? It's a president's birthday tomorrow and I know a lot of places are closed....

Anyone know?

I actually called on Friday and was told that "hopefully" they would be e-mailing us that afternoon (obviously didn't happen) or Monday. So I'm assuming the office will in fact be open tomorrow. Here's hoping for good news for all of us...

Well it is 5:06pm here and I have been checking my email between classes but no news as of yet.

I interviewed on 01/23/09.

Last edited:
I called the office a little bit ago and was told that the adcom had not yet turned in their decisions. Was told that they were really trying for today, but looks like it might be tomorrow instead.

*sigh* suspense... ack!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the office a little bit ago and was told that the adcom had not yet turned in their decisions. Was told that they were really trying for today, but looks like it might be tomorrow instead.

*sigh* suspense... ack!

That means one more day that I will check my email every 30 min. Thank you for updating everyone that is waiting.

That means one more day that I will check my email every 30 min. Thank you for updating everyone that is waiting.

I'll be with you in checking my email constantly! I can't take this for too much longer!

I hope all of you get in!! Good luck to everyone waiting :thumbup: It took approximately 3 weeks to get my acceptance e-mail so don't sweat it!

My first deposit ever. I am so glad I waited to pay deposits on other schools I was not quite interested in. I really liked DMU and looking forward to going there.

megan,
Your stats are a lot like mine. I also lived in MI briefly. Hope we will be classmates!

I hope all of you get in!! Good luck to everyone waiting :thumbup: It took approximately 3 weeks to get my acceptance e-mail so don't sweat it!

Does any one have the class schedule for MS-I Fall? I am just curious.

Anyone heard anything yet? Has anyone tried calling the office to find out?

Anyone heard anything yet? Has anyone tried calling the office to find out?

I am just going to check my email around 5:00 pm today. I think it is best to be patient and wait 'till the ADCOM submits their decisions in.

By the way, when did you interview?

I interviewed 1-23, and I called yesterday at the end of the day because I'm compulsive... nothing. She said today at the earliest, but she didn't sound particularly hopeful. I just want to know.
Alas... they say patience is a virtue...

I interviewed 1-23, and I called yesterday at the end of the day because I'm compulsive... nothing. She said today at the earliest, but she didn't sound particularly hopeful. I just want to know.

I interviewed on the 23rd also. I remember them saying that it would take 2 weeks but I guess not. I am glad someone has called so that we know what the delay is at least.

How much is patience selling for these days? Because I sure could use a pound or two :p

I was there on the same day!

Which student were you? I think I recongnized another member here who interviewed on the 23rd as well, so I guess I am not the only one who made an SDN account after interviewing at DMU :laugh:

I interviewed on the 23rd also. I remember them saying that it would take 2 weeks but I guess not. I am glad someone has called so that we know what the delay is at least.

Yeah...everyone kept saying 2 weeks, even Dr. Reed said two weeks.

I was there on the 23rd as well.

I was there on the 23rd too!

No word from dmu yet for me. Checking my email all the time is starting to drive me crazy! I just want to know!

Two questions. Does the second semester of OChem count towards the Biochem requirement? I ask this because I noticed that they only require one semester of OChem. Also can your reco letters be submitted virtually? Thanks in advance.

Two questions. Does the second semester of OChem count towards the Biochem requirement? I ask this because I noticed that they only require one semester of OChem. Also can your reco letters be submitted virtually? Thanks in advance.

My guess is it wouldn't count as Biochem. Biochem was different from Ochem II... But may be they will take your OChem and you won't need Biochem, I don't know. Call them and ask them, they are super nice.

I was the one in the gray suit who sang in Disneyland. If that helps.

I can't even remember what I said was unique about myself at that time, I was so sleepy:p

You are not the ICE skating guy are you?

Where were you sitting? I was sitting across the Associate Dean at the end but to the left.

you can send your rec letters virtually through interfolio....you just have to manually type in the DMU address when you go to send it out! Good Luck :thumbup:

you can send your rec letters virtually through interfolio....you just have to manually type in the DMU address when you go to send it out! Good Luck :thumbup:

They were sent out by my school. Hopefully that works. I have to call them to see how strict that biochem preq is.

Greetings!

I just got my acceptance today, and I am really happy, thank God.

I have a couple more schools that I am waiting to hear back from ( 2 DOs and 2 MDs) but as it stands I feel that DMU is where I will be in Fall 2009.

Best of luck to all of you and I hope you hear back from DMU soon!!!

The emails are out!!!!

(My first admission! I finally officially get to say I'm going to be a doctor!)

I'm in too! Congrats everybody! And best of luck to those on the waitlist!

Congrats to those who got their acceptance!

Sadly, I'm not one. It's ok, I'll be at Western in the fall!

Congrats to everyone with acceptances this round!!! everyone join the facebook group!

Question to everyone: what day of the week did you hear back from DMU if you got in and what day of the week did you hear if you were wait listed? and how long after your interview did you here? Thank you!

I interviewed Thursday 1/22 and got my acceptance e-mail yesterday (Wednesday) at like 3:30. So it was almost 3 weeks from my interview date.

Congratulations to everyone that has gotten an acceptance!!! That's awesome. Hope I get some good news from DMU in a couple of weeks.

I interviewed on 1/23 and got my acceptance email on 2/11 (Wed) at 4:40pm. Just about three weeks post interview I got the email.

Do you guys have any interviews scheduled down the road or have you decided on DMU already? Anyone waiting to hear back from other schools?

I only paid the first half of the deposit. What is every one else doing? j/c

Hi guys, I just cancelled my interview for next Thurs, Feb 19th... so if anyone is looking for an earlier interview, here's one available. DMU seems like a wonderful program... I would love to go to school there, except I think I need to be closer to home and have warmer weather.

Good luck to all of you guys applying!