DMU vs PCOM-GA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMU vs PCOM-GA

• DMU

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • PCOM-GA

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crossiscoming

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tough decision but a good one to have honestly. Recently got into both. Both seemed like great schools from what I gathered from the interviews and tours. I am mainly concerned with which school will provide me with the most resources to get a quality education (high STEP and COMLEX 1) and the quality of the rotation sites in 3rd year. DMU seemed to have more resources overall and more opportunities for extra-curricular (research and global health outreach) and electives in their curriculum. Cost of living seemed to be lower in DesMoines as well but I live in the south and can drive 5 hours to ATL vs plane ride to Iowa. PCOM-GA had the advantage of a smaller class size of about 100 students (130 vs 220) !! DMU students also take some science classes alongside their podiatry and PA peers so that means some huge lecture halls which makes me worried about 1 vs 1 time with profs should the need arise.

Another point of interest: DMU seemed to recognize the importance of the STEP 1 especially with the coming residency merger and said they provided students with at least some resources. PACOM-GA senior professor/administrator essentially brushed it off when one of interviewee asked about STEP during a Q/A session.

Also both record lectures so class attendance isnt 100% mandatory :)

Members don't see this ad.

DMU for the win. They are the only school so far that has actually given me a straight answer when I asked about the USMLE.

Reactions: 1 user
DMU. PCOM is silent rejecting me and that is a no no.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really it comes down to one question...

Do you like corn? Like REALLY like corn?!

What did you ask?

I asked them how their students do on the usmle. I've asked that at every interview and at all of them but DMU gave me some round about nonsense answer about how it doesn't matter because all residencies will now take COMLEX :rolleyes: (Even my KCU interviewer was this way which surprised me because they do so well) DMU was straight up and said their students do very well and encourage their students to take it because they know it opens up more residency opportunities, especially with the merger.

Reactions: 2 users
I asked them how their students do on the usmle. I've asked that at every interview and at all of them but DMU gave me some round about nonsense answer about how it doesn't matter because all residencies will now take COMLEX :rolleyes: (Even my KCU interviewer was this way which surprised me because they do so well) DMU was straight up and said their students do very well and encourage their students to take it because they know it opens up more residency opportunities, especially with the merger.

Ah I see. It's definitely very refreshing to hear straight up answers. This was similar to when I interviewed at Touro Nevada. The new dean (old clinical dean for KCU) straight up said unless you have a valid excuse to not take usmle, you will pretty much be taking it because you're just closing doors for yourself for no reason.

I can attest that PCOM-GA had some awful responses regarding the merger in general and USMLE. I optimistically attribute it to the students being 3rd and 4th years at the interview. they don't care because it doesn't affect them so they don't worry about the consequences (especially for the primary care focused majority).

I will say that during my interview at pcom-ga, we talked about the usmle and how "many students choose to take it and ultimately do well." Not sure if this was because my interviewer was a MD and was more open to the conversation. It is still a vague statement so it doesn't really add much to the argument, but at least one of the teachers/faculty discussed the importance with me.

round about nonsense answer about how it doesn't matter because all residencies will now take COMLEX

Had that same awkward talk with 3/4 of my interviews.

First starts with they think i'm ignorant ("No applicant getfat DO schools take the COMLEX"). Then I mention preparation time is important to me because i'm probably going to take both. Then I get lectured about how I don't have to worry because programs will have to accept the COMLEX post 2020.

I had the same impression as @Noxy during my interview. GA-PCOM knows the importance of boards and understand where I was coming from.

The myriad of anonymous accounts coming out the woodworks bashing the school makes me nervous though. If there is smoke there is fire.

Had that same awkward talk with 3/4 of my interviews.

First starts with they think i'm ignorant ("No applicant getfat DO schools take the COMLEX"). Then I mention preparation time is important to me because i'm probably going to take both. Then I get lectured about how I don't have to worry because programs will have to accept the COMLEX post 2020.

I had the same impression as @Noxy during my interview. GA-PCOM knows the importance of boards and understand where I was coming from.

The myriad of anonymous accounts coming out the woodworks bashing the school makes me nervous though. If there is smoke there is fire.

I recently saw some guy in the PCOM-GA thread talk about how administration sucks. I did a search on all posts made by that user and it seems as though he/she is extremely disgruntled. Seems more like an isolated incident to me.

DMU x 9*10^9

No brainer, IMHO.

I recently saw some guy in the PCOM-GA thread talk about how administration sucks. I did a search on all posts made by that user and it seems as though he/she is extremely disgruntled. Seems more like an isolated incident to me.

I have an OMSIII friend (I went to UG with them) there that said the exact same thing. I don't think it's an isolated incident. They told me that the faculty were great, but the Admin left a LOT to be desired.

I have seen that person post before about his distaste for the admin and others about how many people dropped out this year as well. My interview with pcom-ga was really odd just FYI, We talked about random things the entire time, more of a conversation about the school, life, and med school in general..My interviewer somehow brought up the BOTH of these topics on his own during my "interview." He mentioned that some students had withdrawn this year..Said some were because of family emergencies, some were because they couldn't handle the curriculum, and others he just didn't know why. He also brought up that the administration was disconnected from both the faculty and the student, and that they just don't understand how or what it means to be in our shoes. He did say that the teachers do side with the students on issues that may arise and even the faculty are often at odds with the administration. These conversations did kind of give me pause, but I was very glad for how honest and open this guy was, and he seemed to mean well. I will add though, that after panicking on what to do and basically contacting a million people, it seems that the people you interact with on a daily basis are great but the admin might give you a headache or make you call them 2x to get something done. But to me, that isn't a deal breaker because dealing with irritating people with just be a part of life. It seems like you will get a good education, but again that largely on your effort not just the school. Now if I could only find out ANY information about the rotations :) lol. I know nothing about the other school sooo can't even try!

Now if I could only find out ANY information about the rotations

Yeah this part is irritating for me as well. It was publicly asked in our luncheon and the answer was, "We have great rotations and you can find them in the curriculum handbook". So uhhhh where is the handbook? I'm hopeful they are hesitant to post because specific locations can change.

Yeah this part is irritating for me as well. It was publicly asked in our luncheon and the answer was, "We have great rotations and you can find them in the curriculum handbook". So uhhhh where is the handbook? I'm hopeful they are hesitant to post because specific locations can change.
THIS is my reason for being hesitant to not put down my deposit at ACOM honestly. I'm pretty sure I won't, but it is just bothering me not having ANY clue about 2 years of my education. Where is this handbook lol?! I can't find the info anywhere and no one seems to know anything. I want to know if all preceptor or some ward or ANY info, but so far it is so vague and it is very irritating. I know a 3rd year loving their rotations but apparently they all changed just last year..for better or worse. I was very sad to hear that West Palm Beach FL anchor site was removed (My plan all along lol) because I know the hospital and the people who work here.

I have been poking around the student portal since I got my login info and there doesn't seem to be anything useful. Apparently their sites change frequently and the second years do not know where they are going less than 6 months from now, but who knows if this is an isolated incident while they change their system or what...

I knew several students in 3rd and 4th year going into competitive specialties that were happy though this was a couple years ago. Surely it hasn't gotten worse.

There are some great hospitals in the surrounding areas (besides the obvious ones) that people from out of town wouldn't know about so I'm curious to see why there are no established connections to these places even as they develop their own residencies at these hospitals. We will see.