This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so this may be a bit different since I am about to start junior year in undergrad. My gpa is 3.93. My main question is: as long as my gpa and mcat are solid (like 3.7+ gpa and hopefully 505-510 mcat at the very least), will I be able to get into DO schools with not much volunteering/research/shadowing? I currently have like 160 hours of volunteering at a camp for kids with arthritis. Also, I have shadowed a surgical podiatrist for 8hrs and will soon hopefully shadow a primary care Dr and an ophthalmologist.

Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, so this may be a bit different since I am about to start junior year in undergrad. My gpa is 3.93. My main question is: as long as my gpa and mcat are solid (like 3.7+ gpa and hopefully 505-510 mcat at the very least), will I be able to get into DO schools with not much volunteering/research/shadowing? I currently have like 160 hours of volunteering at a camp for kids with arthritis. Also, I have shadowed a surgical podiatrist for 8hrs and will soon hopefully shadow a primary care Dr and an ophthalmologist.

Thanks.
Continue gaining ECs, maybe try to get a little research, keep your grades up, crush MCAT, apply MD, profit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is MD perhaps a better choice? Or Is DO more realistic with low EC’s?
ECs are not difficult to get. You don’t need to win a peace prize to get into MD school. Just try to get some more and focus on getting into an MD school. IF the time comes that you bomb MCAT, or your GPA drops, come back, and most will suggest you try to fix it and apply MD. If that doesn’t work, come back and we’ll talk DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Is MD perhaps a better choice? Or Is DO more realistic with low EC’s?
Also, since you are going to be focusing on MCAT and apps soon, some ECs that are easily obtainable that come to mind are habitat for humanity, extended volunteering at a hospital, volunteering at a nursing home. Just show that you care about our society and truly want to better it. Also show that you’re a well rounded individual.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks.

It really is shocking that a person with a 3.9+ GPA is even talking about DO school. Just do well on the MCAT and you will be fine for a lot of MD schools. Don't bother posting here again unless you totally bomb the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all, looking for advice on how to move forward. I have a 3.21 GPA and just got my MCAT back at a 492. I choked and really didn't prepare very well. I am going into my senior year. I have struggled financially and spend too much time working in my opinion. Should I retake MCAT in January and apply, or take even later, apply next cycle and look into graduate programs?.. Any advice would be great.

I would focus on improving that GPA by taking an SMP or a DIY postbacc. Then study hard for the MCAT.

Do NOT take the MCAT while doing the postbacc.. you need to focus on the GPA. Take a year to boost it and then apply next cycle. Med schools ain't going anywhere..

Thanks.

I agree with the others. Depending on your MCAT, you should be quite competitive for MD schools. If you keep at your EC's, you should have enough volunteering/shadowing when the time comes. With your GPA, you should be focused on nailing the MCAT and applying MD.

Hello all, looking for advice on how to move forward. I have a 3.21 GPA and just got my MCAT back at a 492. I choked and really didn't prepare very well. I am going into my senior year. I have struggled financially and spend too much time working in my opinion. Should I retake MCAT in January and apply, or take even later, apply next cycle and look into graduate programs?.. Any advice would be great.

I'm sure you already know it, but you won't get in anywhere with that MCAT. Without knowing why you scored so low, we won't be able to say whether or not you will be ready to retake in January. If it is test anxiety, then talk to someone at your school ASAP. If it was lack of preparation, then don't even think about taking the test until your practice scores are where you want to be scoring.

I absolutely empathize with having to balance work and studying, but you will need to find a way to fit some serious MCAT prep into your schedule to have any hope at med school at this point. Maybe talk to your financial aid office to see if there is any way you can get some additional money this year? Maybe also look at podiatry schools. It's a great career, you are still a doctor, and the MCAT is less of a barrier to admission.